The Ridiculous Min-raise!

I've been knocked out of 3 tournies near the money this weekend on the other end of this play. They had AA all 3 times. I've learned my lesson, don't move allin over the top of a preflop min-raise.
I'll confess I'm inclined to min-raise with monsters because people do see it as a sign of weakness. I put in a really low raise, other guy comes over the top, and I take a nice sized pot. To everyone who thinks only donkeys do this and deserve to be punished, remember that we've all seen that play a thousand times and there are some of us that use it to our advantage.Chad
So you are saying the min raise is good?
Did you read the posts, or are you just that stupid?
I'll confess I'm inclined to min-raise with monsters because people do see it as a sign of weakness. I put in a really low raise, other guy comes over the top, and I take a nice sized pot. To everyone who thinks only donkeys do this and deserve to be punished, remember that we've all seen that play a thousand times and there are some of us that use it to our advantage.Chad
I actually tend to see this play as a sign of serious strength. It says to me "My hand is so good that I don't want you out of this pot. Please don't fold!"
I actually tend to see this play as a sign of serious strength. It says to me "My hand is so good that I don't want you out of this pot. Please don't fold!"
Which is what a min raise is for me. Most people don't see it that way though, even many of the players in this thread, which amazes me. I even click the automatic raise button to do it a lot of times, indicating that I'm raising no matter what. Absolutely drips of strength to me, but most people don't agree.Chad

i personally like when a person goes all-in, and the only caller, who just so happens to be the last to act, raises all-in themselves, thus creating a pointless side-potmaybe its so that when they lose the main pot, they can win their own personal side pot as a consolation prize?

How about when the pot is $450 & someone leads out with a bet of the bb, like $30.This is sooooo freakin annoying.
What's even better is when someone min raises, say, 50 into a pot of 500+ and the other guy folds like a tent. Makes me laugh every time.
Which is what a min raise is for me. Most people don't see it that way though, even many of the players in this thread, which amazes me. I even click the automatic raise button to do it a lot of times, indicating that I'm raising no matter what. Absolutely drips of strength to me, but most people don't agree.Chad
But this is what is ridiculous...is that the min raise prices anyone with any kind of hand to stay in the hand...even runner runner straight and flush draws. Giving 10-1 or more if you have a real hand (which most people don't) is dumb and it leads you to start conversations like "You won't believe what this guy called me with..."This is why people say it's better to win a small pot than lose a big one...
I think that's a very gay way to play it.
To me going from live to the internet I've seen this move more than anything. People just hit the raise button like it is limit poker and think they have just done something great. To me this is the stupidest move in poker and I only ever see it online...the only time I have seen it live is by 20-somethings that are sitting at a table for the first time.What is the opinion out there on the min-raise?
Eric Lindgren talks about it in his book as something he likes to use. I like to do it for different reasons.This maybe a case of "do not bash something you do not understand."
Alan Gerhing or whatever only min raises preflop and he has won what like 4 or 5 million dollars in tournament poker
And have you seen how Alan Goering wins? By sucking out flush and straight draws...no to mention 1 outers on the river (ahem, WPT)
Did you read the posts, or are you just that stupid?I actually tend to see this play as a sign of serious strength. It says to me "My hand is so good that I don't want you out of this pot. Please don't fold!"
I tend to bump a lot of min-raises to see where I'm really at. You learn nothing by calling.
What's even better is when someone min raises, say, 50 into a pot of 500+ and the other guy folds like a tent. Makes me laugh every time.
What .... you never saw a flop that was so unconnected with your hand that it wasn't worth a penny more?

Min raise is ridiculous at low level blinds in a tourny, where pot is several hundred and someone leads for 30 or so. But at higher blind levels in a SNG for example, where the stacks arent large and the blinds are big, min raise works great.

I tend to bump a lot of min-raises to see where I'm really at. You learn nothing by calling.What .... you never saw a flop that was so unconnected with your hand that it wasn't worth a penny more?
I agree with this statement, if you have a good hand, then you shouldn't just be calling, reraise to see where you're at.Also I think ninny raises are stupid. For the most part these raises are nothing, most people raise with suited cards, connectors. They want to see a cheap flop because they don't want anyone behind them raising to 3-4 x BB. Of course, once in awhile you'll run into a big pocket pair, but for the most part they have marginal hands.The funny thing is that most of these players that ninny raise with AA or KK can't lay their hand down on a board of 6-5-5 when you're in the BB with 10/5.also what's funny is that when they min. raise and like 5 people call and the pot has like 300, then the flop come and they go all in for over 1000.

The "Min-Raise" is a terrible move. It is called a "Post-Oak Bluff". Anyone who has any knowledge of NL Hold Em knows that this is a very weak play. In Doyle Brunson's Super System he states "NEVER make a Post-Oak Bluff, it is a very weak play and I never do it." There are many reasons behind it, but I am not going to be a mentor, so go buy the Super System or reread it if you forgot!