What Was He Thinking?

Last Hand EliminationFrom middle position, Marius Hogtun min-raises to $20,000 and William Thorsson apprehensively calls from the big blind. The flop comes 10 :D 6 :D 6 :P , Thorsson checks, Hogtun bets $40,000, and Thorsson calls. The turn is the 10 :P , Thorsson checks, Hogtun goes all-in for his remaining $100,000 and Thorsson instantly calls with K :D Q :). Hogtun shows A :club: K :club: and the river is the 3 :) , giving Thorsson a flush and eliminating Hogtun in 136th place.
Ok, what I don't get here is why Thorsson "instantly" called. Is there something I am missing? On the turn when all the money goes in he has to know he is beat. He has to realise that even if he gets the spade on the river he may already be behind to a made hand of 10's full, 6's full, quad 6's, quad 10's, and A :) and any other :club: ..... I think he has to at least consider it a moment before pushing 100,000 in chips into the pot with every likely hand his opponent has beating his **draw**!Am I missing something? I mean sure he could have a "read" on him, but I can't fathom a read that would make you so sure you instantly call in this position. And even if I had a read of weakness here I probably would of thrown it on the flop. I don't claim to be a great player by any means but this seems like a "duh" type of thing...
Ok, what I don't get here is why Thorsson "instantly" called. Is there something I am missing? On the turn when all the money goes in he has to know he is beat. He has to realise that even if he gets the spade on the river he may already be behind to a made hand of 10's full, 6's full, quad 6's, quad 10's, and A :club: and any other :D ..... I think he has to at least consider it a moment before pushing 100,000 in chips into the pot with every likely hand his opponent has beating his **draw**!Am I missing something? I mean sure he could have a "read" on him, but I can't fathom a read that would make you so sure you instantly call in this position. And even if I had a read of weakness here I probably would of thrown it on the flop. I don't claim to be a great player by any means but this seems like a "duh" type of thing...
consider this; just happened today low limit SNG.on the bubble, 4 players left, blinds 75-150.I am 3rd ranked stack, BB is shortest stack. I raise to 1000 before the flop, chip leader who has roughly 6000 chips to my 2000 calls. I have pos.flop is Q 4 5 rainbow. Chip leader checks, I go all in, he calls me.I had A 2 offsuit on a cold bluff, he had A 10. With my pre flop raise to 5-6x BB and all in after, you'd think he'd fold w/ nothin, right?I think the point is there are donkey's out there that call anything with 2 overcards, with not even a pair. But you expect that in a low buy in SNG, not the WSOP.

Let me direct you to this little gem of a call.http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...showtopic=69898PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FCP)Button (t2550)SB (t2655)BB (t6960)Hero (t1335)Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7 :D , 8 :D . Hero raises to t450, 2 folds, BB calls t300.Flop: (t975) A :club: , 2 :) , 4 :D(2 players)BB checks, Hero bets t885 (All-In), BB calls t885.Turn: (t2745) A :)(2 players, 1 all-in)River: (t2745) 9 :)(2 players, 1 all-in)Final Pot: t2745BB has Td Qc (one pair, aces). Hero has 7s 8s (one pair, aces). Outcome: BB wins t2745.BB INSTACALLS my pot size all in.Please disregard my garbage play. I suck at poker, however, I had calculated a little more fold equity than this!The moral of the story is that most people suck at poker.

Eh how often does a boat or quads shove on that turn when opponent has shown willingness to come along? Soon as he pushes he pretty much says "I've got crap or a draw." The shove was even worse than the call. Not the best board bluff at - did he stop to consider wtf his opponent was calling with aside from a FD?

So you're saying he decided that since his read told him he was beat he should give away free money?
I'm saying that he is more than likely not very good at poker.

Um, nice theory except William Thorsson is very good at poker. Assuming CP reported it correctly (a big IF), I don't understand the hand either but chalking it up to Thorsson being a level 1 internet donk is pretty stupid.

What was Thorsson's chipstack at this point? You could make several different cases for his call, but we'd need all the informaiton first.He has around $2mil right now, I'm guessig that he believed his short stacked opponent didn't have a big hand and decided to gamble. The original raiser was short stacked and Thorsson had a ton of chips in comparison. There are probably numerous reasons to make the call there that can be easily justified.

Um, nice theory except William Thorsson is very good at poker. Assuming CP reported it correctly (a big IF), I don't understand the hand either but chalking it up to Thorsson being a level 1 internet donk is pretty stupid.
I was thinking the same thing. Thorsson could also beat a low pocket pair at this point...I don't know.Chad

I recently called a hand on all 3 streets with 9-high. My "read" ended up being dead-on, and I beat 8-high. Of course I told him the river was a misclick.The point is, sometimes you make a read, and do something extremely stupid. Occasionally you are right, but almost always you are wrong. In this case, he was "wrong." All of this assumes correct reporting.

I recently called a hand on all 3 streets with 9-high. My "read" ended up being dead-on, and I beat 8-high. Of course I told him the river was a misclick.The point is, sometimes you make a read, and do something extremely stupid. Occasionally you are right, but almost always you are wrong. In this case, he was "wrong." All of this assumes correct reporting.
His read wasn't even THAT bad. The guy had nothing, but his nothing beat Thorsson's nothing.Chad