Betonsports Ceo Arrested In Usa

Im baffled as to why the guy was dumb enough to even come into the US, even if it was just to change planes. Taking bets through telephone wires has been illegal for quite some time, its not a new law.
Well obviously they were waiting for him - he either got lax or was "re-routed" on purpose by your friendly neighborhood Federal Government
Quote from NyTimes:Also at the hearing, the court granted the government’s request for a temporary restraining order preventing BetOnSports from accepting wagers from customers in the United States and requiring it to return money held in the accounts of American customers. I'm guessing though, that these scumbags will only give you back what you deposited, if you are ahead and say something like, "it was illegal for us to accept wagers from you - here is your reversal of your deposit." Get ready for it.
The company is based in Costa Rica, I don't think the restraining order works there.
The company is based in Costa Rica, I don't think the restraining order works there.
I agree, but just like FCP is supposedly located on some "offshore island" we all know that everyone running it is here in the US, like most of the other online sites. I sure hope they dont nail this guy and screw everyone over, but it looks like they will.
I agree, but just like FCP is supposedly located on some "offshore island" we all know that everyone running it is here in the US, like most of the other online sites. I sure hope they dont nail this guy and screw everyone over, but it looks like they will.
The US govt can get as many restraining orders against the company, but since the company is out of their jurisdiction, they can only hope that the company voluntarily follows their order.We shall see I guess
The US govt can get as many restraining orders against the company, but since the company is out of their jurisdiction, they can only hope that the company voluntarily follows their order.We shall see I guess
Well they could 1. make an agreement with that country - which i doubt since these islands are making a ton on taxes2. who knows what would happen when these guys plea bargaini'd hope that the govt wouldn't be out to screw the users but really if these guys are busted I doubt they care what happens to their customers
i just realized something--sometime yesterday or the day before, all betonbet poker accounts were blocked and i can't get a straight answer from support. (betonbet is the skin i use most often for ongame)does anyone know if betonbet is the same thing as betonsports? if so, i ****ing hope i didn't just lose a lot of money.
just in case anyone else uses betonbet, i did some research and it's NOT the same company--things are just messed up as they move from the ongame network to the prima network.phew. but i took my money out anyway.

I think this is the best thing that could happen to Online Poker. It reminds me of the bad'ol days of liquor by the wink in Oklahoma. As I understand it, of Oklahoma was officially dry until 1959, but that did not stop bars from operating. Finally they elected an AG that could read and he started enforcing the laws on the books and closed down the illegal bars. As soon as the Baptist couldn’t get their beer, they opened up to the idea of legalizing alcohol. The same thing will happen to online poker. (I hope). Too many people believe it to be their right, and too much money is at stake to let it be run out of town. If they have $4.5Bln in assets, they may have been content to skirt US Laws as long as no one was getting arrested, but how much influence do you think you can purchase for that kind of coin?

Taking bets through telephone wires has been illegal for quite some time, its not a new law.
It's not illegal in Antigua. That's where they operate from.
If they have $4.5Bln in assets, they may have been content to skirt US Laws as long as no one was getting arrested, but how much influence do you think you can purchase for that kind of coin?
That's what this is really about... "you know, I could get the pressure off of you if a couple million of that flowed to my re-election campaign...I'd hate to see anything happen to your nice company..."Anyone who loves online poker and doesn't vote Libertarian deserves to be kicked offline.
god, i'm going to start rethinking this move to chicago in september.
Ive never looked at this legislation as a keep the foreigners out angle. If this will help on the southern border then count me on board!! :D:D:club::D

Well they could 1. make an agreement with that country - which i doubt since these islands are making a ton on taxesNot a crucial point, but FYI Costa Rica isn't an island.I hope this Carruthers guy is not a US citizen so that this ridiculous event might become an international incident, resulting in the Feds looking stupid.This company is not taking bets in the US. All wagers occur on the server, which is in Costa Rica. US Customers are using telphone lines to connect to the server. So go arrest a Telecom excutive or all the individual bettors, not the guy who is managing a perfectly legal Costa Rican company.