Who Is Blind

This thread probably has zero potential. Anyway, nonbelievers say believers are blind, believers say its the other way around. So who is right?Present your reasons for believing the other party is wrong. Stupid reasons will be ridiculed and dismissed.Obviously I think believers are blind. They blindly follow a book that was written ~1400 years ago 600 years after the main character lived. There is evidence of stories in this book being altered, yet some believers take every word to be true. Also, there are many inconsistencies in the book which modern day science can show is overwhelmingly false. Also, I can't think of one advancement society has made in the past 1000 years that religion hasn't tried to hold backk. Ridicule me if you think I'm stupid. Argue with me if you think I kinda make sense, but not as much as you. And support me/help present a better arguement (Canada), if you agree with me.

I think blind people are blind. But I could be mistaken.

Where is Pat Buchanan when you need him?
Probably burning a little homosexual ethnic kid at the stake. Shouldn't you be joining him?
I think blind people are blind. But I could be mistaken.
Clever...

i dont think anyone is blind just misunderstood. if "non-believers" felt the love that "believers" felt i believe that they would become Christians in a second. so nobody is blind, just hasn't felt the love if that made any gramatical sense.

i dont think anyone is blind just misunderstood. if "non-believers" felt the love that "believers" felt i believe that they would become Christians in a second. so nobody is blind, just hasn't felt the love if that made any gramatical sense.
actually, it's you who hasn't felt the love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I feel pretty sad for you that you confuse your emotions with divine intervention, when in fact I can tell you from personal experience that there is only one god who loves us, and his name is the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
I went to a religious school until grade 9. Went to church and bought into the whole idea of god. It was around grade 9 that I started questioning the sensibility of the whole religion idea. I feel much happier now than I did back when I had bought into the church.

Dont post much anymore here b/c theres really little point but i liked this post for the deeper purposesWhen people try to forcefully "find" somethign they rarely do. You dont find happiness by drinking, drugs and so forth. You can have fun doing those but they dont bring you happiness...Just like with God. You dont sary a prayer or 2 and bam your cool with God and life is dandy. Life is about finding out who you are. I could go into some deep philosophical reasons that I found in Hamlet but i wont but the short version is this: We all follow something whether it be a loved one, a parent and so forth. Most everything we follow is flawed and therefore making us flawed as a result of following it. The idea of God is a God who is perfect. By following this creature you allow for the possibility of perfection. Obviously nobody attains this perfection but the idea is there. Some will sincerely follow this "Ghost" and will in the process have God reveal themselves. Some will go through the motions and find nothing. But just realize we all follow something.

Screech,you sure spend a lot of posts on this topic. ( atheism, etc )does it matter that much to you if some people believe in God ?what is your motive ?
Boredom and practice for when I get in real life drunk conversations with friends.
Dont post much anymore here b/c theres really little point but i liked this post for the deeper purposesWhen people try to forcefully "find" somethign they rarely do. You dont find happiness by drinking, drugs and so forth. You can have fun doing those but they dont bring you happiness...Just like with God. You dont sary a prayer or 2 and bam your cool with God and life is dandy. Life is about finding out who you are. I could go into some deep philosophical reasons that I found in Hamlet but i wont but the short version is this: We all follow something whether it be a loved one, a parent and so forth. Most everything we follow is flawed and therefore making us flawed as a result of following it. The idea of God is a God who is perfect. By following this creature you allow for the possibility of perfection. Obviously nobody attains this perfection but the idea is there. Some will sincerely follow this "Ghost" and will in the process have God reveal themselves. Some will go through the motions and find nothing. But just realize we all follow something.
Good post Matt. Do you think that you need to believe in god to find true happiness or to find out who you are?
Good post Matt. Do you think that you need to believe in god to find true happiness or to find out who you are?
well yes and no screech. I think you can be content to follow a flawed "ghost" ( i use ghost as thats the metaphor in hamlet). The problem I see is when you start to examine what you are following you will almost always be disappointed when u see the flaws. Thats why when you meet that special girl they say you "see past her flaws" b/c if you dwell on them youll obviously not be happy. Whether you can find true happiness without God I dont know. I think following flawed ghosts will bring disappointment but who knows...I havent searched life enough yet to make an absolute statement like yes or no so for now hopefully maybe will suffice. I personally find contentment in a wide range of things from getting tattoos to having an drink while playin poker. Are there obvious flaws in these of course. Doesnt mean im gonna avoid living life. Like I said, the concept of God is a being that is not flawed. So I find inspiration knowing that I could live up to those expectations one day..not realisitic but yeah you get the point...I know this is a lot of rambling but its been some soul searchin Ive done as of late
well yes and no screech. I think you can be content to follow a flawed "ghost" ( i use ghost as thats the metaphor in hamlet). The problem I see is when you start to examine what you are following you will almost always be disappointed when u see the flaws. Thats why when you meet that special girl they say you "see past her flaws" b/c if you dwell on them youll obviously not be happy. Whether you can find true happiness without God I dont know. I think following flawed ghosts will bring disappointment but who knows...I havent searched life enough yet to make an absolute statement like yes or no so for now hopefully maybe will suffice. I personally find contentment in a wide range of things from getting tattoos to having an drink while playin poker. Are there obvious flaws in these of course. Doesnt mean im gonna avoid living life. Like I said, the concept of God is a being that is not flawed. So I find inspiration knowing that I could live up to those expectations one day..not realisitic but yeah you get the point...I know this is a lot of rambling but its been some soul searchin Ive done as of late
I don't think you need god to bring about a feeling of purpose or contentment or whatever. If you want to be at peace with yourself, the easiest way is to just mediate, or reflect. You don't have to believe in an almighty being.
I don't think you need god to bring about a feeling of purpose or contentment or whatever. If you want to be at peace with yourself, the easiest way is to just mediate, or reflect. You don't have to believe in an almighty being.
true...though i think if u mediate on most things in life and truly examine them you will find the flaws that exist in the things you follow
I went to a religious school until grade 9. Went to church and bought into the whole idea of god. It was around grade 9 that I started questioning the sensibility of the whole religion idea. I feel much happier now than I did back when I had bought into the church.
im not going to hide the fact that i have doubted my religion before. in this world filled with things trying to take it down who wouldnt?But each time i have felt doubt i have gone to the minister, my parents, my brother, my Christian friends, read books about it, and each time I have done this i have felt more happy than before.
true...though i think if u mediate on most things in life and truly examine them you will find the flaws that exist in the things you follow
If you mean things like coke and drinking, yeah. But it also helps you come to peace with everything and realize that everything is right just as is.
im not going to hide the fact that i have doubted my religion before. in this world filled with things trying to take it down who wouldnt?But each time i have felt doubt i have gone to the minister, my parents, my brother, my Christian friends, read books about it, and each time I have done this i have felt more happy than before.
My point was that you don't need religion for happiness. Not that only nonbelievers can be happy, or vice versa. You probably didn't interpret it that way, but just to make sure others dont.
The second you start doubting your religion you only go talk to people that are 100% committed to making you feel good about it again. Have you ever considered reading up on other religions/beliefs when you're doubting the validity of your own? Or are you happy letting people pull you back in each time?As for me, I find happiness in life by being happy. It's pretty simple, actually.
We all follow something whether it be a loved one, a parent and so forth. Most everything we follow is flawed and therefore making us flawed as a result of following it. The idea of God is a God who is perfect. By following this creature you allow for the possibility of perfection. Obviously nobody attains this perfection but the idea is there. Some will sincerely follow this "Ghost" and will in the process have God reveal themselves. Some will go through the motions and find nothing. But just realize we all follow something.
interesting stuff
Screech,you sure spend a lot of posts on this topic. ( atheism, etc )does it matter that much to you if some people believe in God ?what is your motive ?
It's essentially the same concept going back and forth. The believers feel the need to bring people into their belief because as they understand it, unbelievers are condemned for eternity. And the non believers see religion/s as a method of mind control, a way to control the masses (by fear mainly), and they themselves wish to liberate the believers so they can, in turn, be free.
And the non believers see religion/s as a method of mind control, a way to control the masses (by fear mainly), and they themselves wish to liberate the believers so they can, in turn, be free.
it's a little deeper than that. religious belief has served its purpose and is well past its usefulness (if it ever had any) and is now holding humanity back from maturing and progressing socially on a global scale. perhaps even more critically it is horrendously skewing an objective outlook of what is best for the long term survival of our planet.
It's essentially the same concept going back and forth. The believers feel the need to bring people into their belief because as they understand it, unbelievers are condemned for eternity. And the non believers see religion/s as a method of mind control, a way to control the masses (by fear mainly), and they themselves wish to liberate the believers so they can, in turn, be free.
interesting. this could be true. i think a lot of it boils downt to one group thinks the other group is wasting their lives because of they way they think.
interesting. this could be true. i think a lot of it boils downt to one group thinks the other group is wasting their lives because of they way they think.
Thus the disdain. Matt hasn't shown up in awhile, good to see him. It's the closest he has ever sounded to how I believe.
I've been there. Grew up a full blown happy-clappy. Felt the 'love'.Wait to you feel the freedom and fear of thinking for yourself. Clarity is a rush
Thus the disdain. Matt hasn't shown up in awhile, good to see him. It's the closest he has ever sounded to how I believe.
no reason to show up to go around in circles here...and this is how I has always been lois. I have always had disdain for organized religion that you tried to group me with...everyday at work I drive past the "Christian Life Center" and i realize what I am takin a break from even being involved with the nondenominational church i went to