Bodog 2/4 NLHE (9-handed)SB $200BB $1149Cobalt $381MP3 $812Cobalt is MP2 w/ Q :D Q :club:. No read on SB. BB and MP3 are both somewhat loose pre-flop. They like to call raises with a fairly wide range. They're also capable of trickery.Pre-flop:3 folds, Cobalt raises to $12, MP3 calls, 2 folds, SB calls, BB callsFlop ($48): K :D J :D 9 :) (4 players)SB checks, BB checks, Cobalt bets $28, 2 folds, BB raises to $65, Cobalt ?

Raise or fold. I don't like calling.
Why not?I like a push hear since you have good fold equity vs hands that are ahead of you, and you have a ton of outs to improve if you gte called. Also, he could be diong this with a hand like Ahx, which you would like him to fold.

This one's a fold for me given this board. I think you're best case scenario is the naked Ah, and there's a host of very bad scenarios for you.Maybe you could call his mini-raise to see if he slows down, but w/ his stack, that may be asking a lot.

Cobalt is MP2 w/ Q :D Q :club:. No read on SB. BB and MP3 are both somewhat loose pre-flop. They like to call raises with a fairly wide range. They're also capable of trickery.
Well according to your statement above you can't fold. I believe ur hearts are good here. BBs stack is massive and he could raising w/ any king with or without a heart. Put him to the test. Push.
pushunless he has AhKx, youre not in terrible shape
or he could have Ah10h and you would be drawing to runner runner full house. Anyway, the pot is about 140 right and its 37 more to call. Meh.....all he has is KJ for top two pair, you got plenty of outs.

i would think this is a great flop for you, unless he has the Ah, you have flush draw, gut shot 10, and 2 queens left to help you(if ur behind), i dont think calling is bad but pushing would be better

or he could have Ah10h and you would be drawing to runner runner full house. Anyway, the pot is about 140 right and its 37 more to call. Meh.....all he has is KJ for top two pair, you got plenty of outs.
i dont see villian rasing us here with the nuts
i dont see villian rasing us here with the nuts
if villain wants to play a big pot with Axhh he will find a raise easily on the flop--i myself enjoy playing big pots with the nuts from time to time.
How opposed would y'all be to re-raising to $150 or so?
Depends on the player, but most of the time I think that would be bad. I assume you raise to 150 to fold to a raise. I honestly think that you given the action, you will find a push here regardless of whether you're ahead or behind the majority of the time.
Very. Do we think we could fold to a re-reraise?By that point too much of our money is in the pot already.Pushing gets more fold equity.
Very. Do we think we could fold to a re-reraise?By that point too much of our money is in the pot already.Pushing gets more fold equity.
I like it, with maybe just a bit more on top. Here's why for everyone:If the BB does not have a flush but has a made hand, he will check/call Cobalt down the rest of the way, allowing Cobalt to see the turn and river very cheap.A naked A with no pair will almost always fold to a re-raise in the $170-$200 range. Many of you are disregarding likely holdings for BB if he's not just making a play. A made lower flush (we're dead to 7 hearts), Q10 (ditto), AhKx (dead to 1 out), 2 pair (dead to 2q's + 7 hearts, with 4 redraw outs for villain if we get there). We're dead an awful lot for a push. We have 2nd pair and 2nd nut draw, disregarding the 10h. If we're almost even with 2 pair and a set, he would've raised us on the flop more.

You guys have keyed in on why a re-raise to $150 might be bad in this spot...I'll basically be committed to calling if he comes back over the top of that.Anyway, I think I should've just pushed, but I did the re-raise and called off another $200 into a +$570 pot when he pushed. Villain flipped over Th8h and I lucked out by catching a heart on the turn. Villain was absolutely irate that I'd re-raise his check-raise.

You guys have keyed in on why a re-raise to $150 might be bad in this spot...I'll basically be committed to calling if he comes back over the top of that.Anyway, I think I should've just pushed, but I did the re-raise and called off another $200 into a +$570 pot when he pushed. Villain flipped over Th8h and I lucked out by catching a heart on the turn. Villain was absolutely irate that I'd re-raise his check-raise.
not to be results based, but I think I was the only one to think this was a fold immediately.
not to be results based, but I think I was the only one to think this was a fold immediately.
sometimes I push, sometimes I fold, depends how I am feeling that day, with a stack like villans I would have pushed. Course Villan should be wondering if his 10 high kicker is good, though he did have the straight flush redraw and I can't fold those
  • 4 weeks later...

I know we are analyzing Cobalt's play and everything but I think the real mistake was made by BB on the flop, thus giving Cobalt the chance to slightly misplay/luck his way out. I don't mind the check on the flop to illicit a bet but the mini-raise is only going to bring in a Qh or Ah which is something that I would think the BB would not want. Of course he is sitting on a big stack and can probably afford to make that play, but that is just not the way I would have played it. Yes, the money was in ahead but he could have probably taken down a smaller pot by making a substantial raise on the flop. I don't think Cobalt plays back or even calls in that spot to a large enough raise and certainly not to call-in. As someone else mentioned, the hands Cobalt could beat were few, but the counter to that is also that the Th8h is a hand that is neither nutted nor has much room to improve.PS - Cobalt, this is your new bud from Caesar's. - late night meal at the Flamingo (thanks again btw).

Actually, if the small raise elicits a reraise, then the BB played it perfectly, since he got all-in as a 3:1 favorite. I think the small raise is the thing that deserves more attention here. On a monotone board, if villian has something like two pair or a set, he's going to raise the **** out of it to protect against a flush draw. If it were me, I'd probably raise this flush pretty hard too, but I know a lot of people wouldn't. I don't mind a push here, and I think if the stacks were a little smaller, it would be the right play, but I think in this spot, a smooth-call might be better. I don't think that the BB's going to fold a lot of hands to a reraise that make this small raise on the flop, so we're probably better off just seeing another card.

I check in this situation on the Flop. To scary of a board and to many in the pot. SB and BB just checked to the preflop raiser expecting you to bet. With three callers I find myself behind more often than not with this board. I really want to see a turn card here and see what SB and BB do before I put more money in here.