Are Most Poker Players "geniuses"?

I am not making this as a brag post - rather, I am testing a theory. I think serious poker players in general are exceptionally smart. Personally, I am very good at logic/IQ tests. I am good with numbers, patterns, etc...certain word scrambles get me though. Anyway, this is a 30 question 30 minute test used by Mensa to decide if you would have a good shot at passing their full entrance test. Mensa for those that don't know is a sort of 'genius society' - you have to score in the top 98th percentile on their test to get in.Mensa TestI scored a 28 out of 30 - I f'ed up one of the word scrambles, and the calendar question (you will see..). How do the rest of you score? I am guessing many will score well, maybe in the 24-27 range. 29-30 would be certainly impressive provided you didn't cheat :-) Don't be afraid to say, wow I only got 20...some people just aren't great at number patterns or word problems and I am curious if great minds goes with good poker players.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Other" smarts is a whole different thread - I didn't want to exclude the socially challenged among us like cuin4years ;-)

I got 26... I didn't answer 3 of the questions - two of the word scrables and one of the "put a word behind this word and after this one to make some words" I also limited myself to the 30 minutes... if I had a little more time I maybe could have gotten 1 or 2 more right.

I got 25... missed the aformentioned calendar problem, and 4 of the word problems (I hate letters)... got every number question right though... I also did this while 2-tabling poker, but I wouldnt have done better than that anyways.

Good poker players... maybeYour average poker player.... by all means, no
Yea, thats basically what I meant by "serious poker players." Still I think 100 average poker players would beat say, 100 average baseball players.
i read the first question and said "**** it i dont feel like doing this"
The first one is easy.. :-)
does that really tell us anything?
Why yes, yes it does. It tells us on average poker players are smarter.

LOL for a second I thought I sub consciously clicked backed into the Animals thread. I just posted the cage bracket :-)

Why yes, yes it does. It tells us on average poker players are smarter.
what i meant was that 100 poker players being smarter than 100 baseball players isnt a great accomplishment. i would say the average baseball player is probably below the average intelligence level.
what i meant was that 100 poker players being smarter than 100 baseball players isnt a great accomplishment. i would say the average baseball player is probably below the average intelligence level.
Smarter then average football player and deffffinitely smarter then NBA players :club:
Smarter then average football player and deffffinitely smarter then NBA players :club:
when Mark Prior went back to school to get his degree I remember reading that only like 16 players in MLB had college degrees.
when Mark Prior went back to school to get his degree I remember reading that only like 16 players in MLB had college degrees.
Interestingly Prior did say that in his speech, though it was wrong and investigated...it isnt all that far from the truth. 42...pretty sad.http://indi.ca/2004/06/42-mlb-players-with-college-degrees/

Well, I also made 28/30 and it took 15 minutes, because I spend some time on the scambles, which I did not get right. Maybe because I am not English language. May also be, because solving a test from Mensa has nothing to do with being a genious. It just proves a certain ability to solve logical problems.Very few people are geniouses, and to be so, you need to be able to use your skills in new ways to the better for humanity. To have a skill is nothing. To use a skill for yourself is nothing. To use a skill for the service of your family is something. To use your skills for the better of humanity is ....... Oh well, if you begin to care about humanity, you don't really care about labes like genious anymore. You just do the work.

<<<--------- It's a celebration, bittches.mensa233218ys.jpgI had to crop this... after I realized I gave out all the answers. You're welcome:4 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)4 Members: brvheart, neblon, Jdr999, pockets

I got an 18. Pretty embarassing for a guy who's going to Georgia Tech. It wasn't my standardized test scores that got me in though. It was my ability to work my *** off and make really good grades.

I got an 18. Pretty embarassing for a guy who's going to Georgia Tech. It wasn't my standardized test scores that got me in though. It was my ability to work my *** off and make really good grades.
Which is exactly why you'll go farther and be more successful than most people that are better test takers. Well done.