Will Pujols Be One Of The Greatest Players In Baseball History?

Eh. Maybe. Sure, at his current PACE he will be...but Ken Griffey Jr. was on pace to be one of the greatest of all time too..and look what happened to him. He's still a Hall of Famer, but not one of the all time greatest anymore...

Good point about Griffey. It's really tough to say how a guy will hold up over a career. At the rate he is going however, Pujols will be top 3 or 4 all-time.

Eh. Maybe. Sure, at his current PACE he will be...but Ken Griffey Jr. was on pace to be one of the greatest of all time too..and look what happened to him. He's still a Hall of Famer, but not one of the all time greatest anymore...
good point Koopa.At this rate, he could easily slide in not far behind Babe Ruth and not many else. Maybe behind Bonds depending on your opinion of that, since Barry is a legitimate #2 (from someone with poor historical perspective).ARod also has a legitimate chance at being a top-5 or top-10 guy stat-wise, a la Griffey Jr

Pujols could easily be up there if the injuries don't get to him and if they pitch to him.

It's too bad what injuries can do to a career. Griffey had the chance to be the best of all time so it's sad to see him suffer through a series of injury plagued seasons. He still has the best looking swing I have ever seen.

Pujols will be in the Top 10 no question. But how he performs as time gos on will be the real question. If he can put up back to back seaons like he started this one then there is no questions, but if he gets injured then its over.He won't win the triple crown. Homers and runs he will be first in but some ****** bag will take the average title and come from no where to win it.

It's all about health. Also, if he can manage to win a World Series or two (and have a good series in the process) that would certainly help his legacy. He'll get knocked for playing 1st base most of his career, but people in the know will remember his first couple years when he played everywhere they asked him and did a good job each time, all the while never really struggling at the plate.

people in the know will remember his first couple years when he played everywhere they asked him and did a good job each time, all the while never really struggling at the plate.
That's true, I remember (I think it was) Joe Morgan saying that Pujols told him that he tried to learn various positions early in his career, because Pujols felt that it might be the difference between him making it in the majors or just missing. Humorous now to think about I guess, considering how successful he was immediately.
That's true, I remember (I think it was) Joe Morgan saying that Pujols told him that he tried to learn various positions early in his career, because Pujols felt that it might be the difference between him making it in the majors or just missing. Humorous now to think about I guess, considering how successful he was immediately.
The funniest thing is he wasn't even gonna be on the team coming out of spring training that year except that Bobby Bonilla started the year on the DL. Best injury ever!
The funniest thing is he wasn't even gonna be on the team coming out of spring training that year except that Bobby Bonilla started the year on the DL. Best injury ever!
I remember that.

I'll go against popular opinion and say no.. What happens if St. Louis becomes a losing club and loses the talent they have protecting Pujols and teams stop pitching to him ala Bonds 2003-2005? He's a great talent but there's too many variables, imagine if Bonds was still with the Pirates right now, would he have 400 homers?

Too early to say for sure. If he keeps hitting like he is for the rest of his career (or at least most of it), then yeah one of the best. Otherwise, no.