biggest cash of my life (long post)

Very excited about my last tournament. Last night I entered the $20 6 person NLHE multi-table tournament. We started with 330 people, and top prize was $1900. I remember building my stack up from the starting stack of 1500 to about 4500-5000 thanks to reading Danny's articles and taking a huge pot with 2 :D 3 :) . Hehehe. Some people can never lay down top pair, but I was lucky because the board was very uncoordinated and I had hit 2 pair.A few hands later, I had my ego boosted way to high and dropped way down to about 1000 and was ready to tilt off the last of my chips until I forced myself to put 100% of my concentration into the game and see how far I could take it.One hand I had called a raise on the button from a middle position raiser with 7 :) 7 :) , the big blind also called and we took the flop 3 handed. The flop comes down 10 :) 9 :) 3 :D and it is checked around to me. The original raiser had taken his time to check it so I thought he was doing this to slow me down and only had big cards. I bet about the size of the pot, the big blind folded, and the original raiser when all in which had me covered. I was ready to muck it until I put the faith in my read and called. He had A :) K :club: and my 7s held up.Danny's articles and blogs changed me from a player who trys to squeak into the money into a player who does whatever he can to hit the big money. I was stealing blind after blind with 6 high, 10 high, 5 high.I remember a very lucky hand where I was in the big blind and it was folded around to the small blind who completed it. I had K :D 8 :) so I figured I was most likely ahead and even not I could probably buy it. I raised it roughly 4X the big blind and he re raised me the same amount. I hated seeing it but I had to call. The flop cam down 8 :D 9 :) 8 :D and he went all in, since he was really pot committed anyways. He had AK and could have taken the pot from me with a preflop raise, but oh well.We made it down to 2 tables and at this point we had 4 people on each table. I was in the big blind with A :D 5 :D and it was folded to the small blind, who was playing very aggressively. He bet the pot, and I took my time to think about it but I called since I had position on him. The flop came 4 :D 9 :) Q :) My opponent lead out about 2/3 of the pot and I took my time but figured if I called and he had missed that he would slow down and check it to me since about 1/3 of his stack was in the pot already. So I called his bet and the turn was the A :) which seemed like a gift from god. I read that I was ahead wth just the A high but that certainly made me feel better. He checked it to me and I bet roughly 2/3 the pot. My opponent called and a blank rolled off on the river. Not wanting to add anymore to this pot or having the chance of his reraisng me all in I checked right behind him and he showed K :) J :) , which stunned me about him calling the turn but oh well.This hand fueled me up and sent me to the final 6 as the chip leader. I didnt get involved in too many pots until there was 4 of us left and I was in 3rd position. I raised UTG with A :D Q :) and the short stack went all in. My orignal bet was 20k and it was about 50k back to me and figured I had to call. He had AJ and a hit a Q on the turn to make him drawing dead at the river. We finally got it heads up with not much difference between our stacks and I offered a chop since there was $600 between the top 2 spots and I didn't feel like playing a $300 turbo heads up match since I'm just a poor college kid. My opponent agreed and I left the tourney with $1600 after the biggest rush of my life. Sorry if this was a little long, and thanks for reading.

no worries on the length dude, it was a good read. Congrats on your finish. Sounds like you made some good reads and were rewarded. good job

First of congrats on the win. I have won many 6 seater tournaments and fair very well in them, and here is why you won, you finally realized its all about aggression. The times where I have done very well on these is where I am raising 25% OR MORE preflop and winning around 25% of the pots played. You have to continually pound in these tournaments. Congrats on the win, and continue on with your aggressive play.

First of congrats on the win. I have won many 6 seater tournaments and fair very well in them, and here is why you won, you finally realized its all about aggression. The times where I have done very well on these is where I am raising 25% OR MORE preflop and winning around 25% of the pots played. You have to continually pound in these tournaments. Congrats on the win, and continue on with your aggressive play.
Thanks, and I think you were at my starting table. :D
  • 3 years later...
  • 11 months later...