Yeah I thought that was interesting when I read it as well. I figured he didn't have the bankroll or maybe the funds with him to play. His last article he talked about playing a $100,000 buyin freezeout, I guess his bankroll is a little better now....

I uess his bankroll is a little better now....
I know this is oft-debated, but I'd be willing to wager that Mike Sexton has more money than almost anyone in poker now. He's pulling in so much from Party Poker it's gotta be silly. there's maybe a few people like possibly Doyle, Chip Reese and Paul Phillips who may have more, but I'll bet Sexton is top 5 (if you don't count pedestrians like Andy Beal and Bill Gates).

Lots of the old school, well-known guys had leaks like sports betting, betting if someone's bro could run to Las Vegas in three days, betting if a turd would go down in one flush, heroin, etc., etc., etc.But I imagine Sexton didn't have -too- much trouble scrounging up the buy-in that year, so perhaps a bit of hyperbole for fun.If there hasn't been a thread on the craziest bets pro gamblers have made, there should be. I tried to find that serach function I heard about in that public service announcement, but I can't get it to work.Monty

Lots of the old school, well-known guys had leaks like sports betting, betting if someone's bro could run to Las Vegas in three days, betting if a turd would go down in one flush, heroin, etc., etc., etc.But I imagine Sexton didn't have -too- much trouble scrounging up the buy-in that year, so perhaps a bit of hyperbole for fun.If there hasn't been a thread on the craziest bets pro gamblers have made, there should be. I tried to find that serach function I heard about in that public service announcement, but I can't get it to work.Monty
i think stu ungar staked him in that tourny.
I know this is oft-debated, but I'd be willing to wager that Mike Sexton has more money than almost anyone in poker now. He's pulling in so much from Party Poker it's gotta be silly. there's maybe a few people like possibly Doyle, Chip Reese and Paul Phillips who may have more, but I'll bet Sexton is top 5 (if you don't count pedestrians like Andy Beal and Bill Gates).
i think i read somewhere on the forum that todd brunson is one of the richest players around because he invests his money so well. I wouldn't be surprised is DN is one of the more wealthy players because of the FCP, the dvd, etc.isn't phil gordon super rich also from selling his internet company?

The part that amazed me the most was this:I played professionally in home games around the state. I never realized there were enough high-stakes home games around where a pro who was consistantly winning could keep getting invited. I mean sure everyone would love to have Phil Ivey drop by their $50 buy-in game but if Phil said lets make the stakes $5,000 and do it on a weekly basis he'd get fewer takers.

Sexton seems like a nice guy, but I've always felt his columns were pretty fluffy and devoid of depth. He typically seemed to ramble on about how poker is great and/or how nice certain players were. There wasn't really much to engage the reader.

when i played in 2004 wsop during a break i was watching a nba playoff game and he asked me what the score was cause he had money on one of the teams. i heard he was an original investor in party poker and sold his shares for a boatload of money, so he can prob afford to lose some cash on sports

i think stu ungar staked him in that tourny.
From the article:Scotty (Ngyuen) asked me if I’d play the tournament on a 20 percent freeroll.I said, “Sure. I just want to play.”We were standing next to Ron McMillan, Luis Santoni, Russ Hamilton, Violin Joe, and some others, and Scotty blurted out, “Hey, you guys. Mike Sexton isn’t in yet. I’ll put up $1,200 for 20 percent of him. Who else wants a piece?” Incredibly, in less than one minute, all of those guys took a piece of me, and I was in. Even though I was playing for only 20 percent, far and away the lowest percentage I’d ever played for, I was thrilled to get the freeroll and have a shot at the $186,000 first prize.I have met him (WPT boot camp) and he couldn't have been nicer. Every pro poker player should thank him for being a true visionary.