I Called In Sick Today

because it seems dumb to be considering a cross-country move for $32k. I don't know. it depends on what it's worth to get into that industry in a non-adviser capacity. both to me, and in an actual money sense.

Yes, it's probably dumb to move cross-country solely for $32k. I don't know anything about the industry/company/position, but if you think it's something that could lead to good things, then I don't think you should dismiss it just because you're paying for the interview.

Can you talk to this friend who got you the interview about what kind of real opportunity this could be for you?

I don't know; seems like one of those long-term/short-term questions. Might not make sense short-term, but could be really good long-term.

• Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

To me it's a question of odds. What is the probability of the job leading to something? What is the probability of getting the job at all? We're talking about a pretty big investment here - $500. He could buy like, 50 pairs of Haggar pants for that.

• Like 1

I put a poll up in King of Off Topic for the play-in games tonight.

I'll probably have to use that thread and the Polling Place thread to do all the games on Thursday and Friday.

And I assumed he was talking about me, but I have that Ron Mexico disease where I think everything is about me.

Hey, I'm usually always right, like, half the time

We're talking about a pretty big investment here - $500. He could buy like, 50 pairs of Haggar pants for that.

haha. this was good.

so an update on the boots cause I know you're all curious: tried them on again just now when I got home. first tried with dress socks: pretty damn loose. then tried them with my thickest pair of smartwools: damn near tight. so with napa's advice that men are supposed to have calloused feet plus the fact that I think it would wear a hole in your foot if you wore boots with thin socks so thick socks are preferable anyways, I've decided to go ahead and keep them. gonna wear them to cut wood this weekend to break them in good. pretty excited about that.

so an update on the boots cause I know you're all curious: tried them on again just now when I got home. first tried with dress socks: pretty damn loose. then tried them with my thickest pair of smartwools: damn near tight. so with napa's advice that men are supposed to have calloused feet plus the fact that I think it would wear a hole in your foot if you wore boots with thin socks so thick socks are preferable anyways, I've decided to go ahead and keep them. gonna wear them to cut wood this weekend to break them in good. pretty excited about that.

You're welcome.

also, I don't want strat hogging all the job advice so I need some opinions myself: I just applied to 2 nearly identical positions with a really good local company. good pay, career prospects, etc. for one of the positions, I have every qualification down to a t, even the preferred stuff. for the other one, I have all the qualifications too but during the quesionnaire section of the application, it asked a bunch of really specific questions that I have almost experience in, but in other variations (like I have experience in one type of software but they use another very similar kind, stuff I could show that I could easily transition). so anyways, even though I have all the qualifications, and think I could probably do pretty well in an interview, this is one of those types of companies that you just never hear back from. they have the auto scanners to electronically pick out resumes and their hr people are lazy (big surprise). so basically I have about a 1% chance to get an interview for the first on and 0% for the second (since I had to answer 'no' to their questionnaire questions).

however, I happen to have a few friends that already work at this company, one of which did some research and found the names and phone numbers of the recruiters in charge of hiring for these positions. problem is though, they don't advertise these or any numbers at all. everything online, everything hidden and secretive. so is calling them a good idea? would it show initiative and that I really wanted the position? or would it piss them off and get my resume tossed in the trash, possibly for good with this company?

How big a company are we talking about here? I feel like your friend should be able to say to HR, "hey, you should take a look at Shake's resume." The company would save money if they don't hire from a recruiter, so they'd have an incentive to take a look at you.

I have no idea but can it really hurt to be a go-getter? Nothing ventured, nothing gained, or in Essay's case, nothing ventured, nothing lost

How big a company are we talking about here? I feel like your friend should be able to say to HR, "hey, you should take a look at Shake's resume." The company would save money if they don't hire from a recruiter, so they'd have an incentive to take a look at you.

pretty big, multi-national. and the recruiter's aren't external, they're company employees, that's just their title. and it's a big enough company that he doesn't know the recruiters or the hr people, so it'd probably be better for me to call them. what I need from my friends is a connection to the hiring manager after I get an interview.

I agree with Ron that it can't hurt to show initiative. If I was a recruiter, I'd certainly look at someone who found me, but I'd also want to know how that happened, so I'm not sure what the best play is. How do you start that conversation? "Hey, I saw this position available and I think it's a perfect fit, so I'd like to send you my resume." I don't know.

yeah I think my main concern is the inevitable "um, how did you get this number?" question. definitely can't sell my friend out and tell them it's from him. thinking about trying to spin it in some as a job quality, like "let's just say I know how to locate the right people for the right situation and with this position that is a great quality to have blah blah blah..." hopefully that'll get me out of having to name names.

also yeah, I have no idea what else to really say either. I've already applied to both. for the one I had to answer "no" to a bunch of questions, I have a topic of "I feel like I'm perfect but I'm afraid I'll get passed over for an interview because of these questions so..." but for the other one it's like, "so! what's up! hire me?"

maybe I'll just send them both flowers and candy. that might work.

also yeah, I have no idea what else to really say either. I've already applied to both. for the one I had to answer "no" to a bunch of questions, I have a topic of "I feel like I'm perfect but I'm afraid I'll get passed over for an interview because of these questions so..."

I like this. I suppose if they ask you how you got their number, you could say you know someone who works there, but you don't want to say who in case he wasn't supposed to give that info out.

yeah that should be pretty simple. haha, only problem is though, on the application, it had a section (and when I say application, I mean the online thing you fill out with drop downs and such) with the "how did you hear about this position?" question, and I put "employee referral" because I figure that would get you further. didn't have a section for a name, but I can just see the recruiter saying "sooo, who's the employee who referred you mister detective???" sounds like something that bitch would say. what a bitch!

oh no they love employee referrals. hell this company basically only hires off employee referrals. I was just pointing out that she'd ask where I got the number and then turn right around asking who referred me, knowing it was most likely the same person.

cause she's a bitch!

I don't think it's a problem.

The guy who gave you the number is probably going on the assumption that you'll use it, so I don't think he's concerned about being "found out" or anything.

Anyway, congrats on your new job.

well he did specifically say "don't tell them I gave it to you", so, you know, you might not be correct there.

and thanks. just put a downpayment on a house today in anticipation.