question about high stakes poker

Does anyone know why Phil Ivey, Gus Hansen or Chip Reese is not on the show? It seems like the rules of this show would play well for Gus, No Limit without a cap, and he could buy in for a lot of money. Anyway, if anyone knows or would care to guess I'd appreciate it.

The only one I was somewhat surprised at was Phil Ivey; it may have been too much of a spectacle for him, although he usually is up for new challenges in poker.Chip Reese = hates spotlight and doesn't play high stakes NL.I heard Gus was broke.

I dont know, but Ive got a guess for each one...Phil Ivey- Uncomfortable having his hole cards on camera during a cash game.Gus Hansen- Out of town at time of filmingChip Reese- I dont believe that NL Holdem is one of his better games.

Gus isn't broke.   There's no way.     Did you see how casually he just donked off his chips in that  Full Tilt Poker Invitational?    He just called off all of his chips with Q8o .    He didn't seem to mind at all, either.    There's no way he's broke.
he's gus. thats what he does. he's always been like that. that's not a way of determining whether or not he's broke. if he thought it was mathematically the right call, he'd do it, rich or poor.
Gus isn't broke.   There's no way.     Did you see how casually he just donked off his chips in that  Full Tilt Poker Invitational?    He just called off all of his chips with Q8o .    He didn't seem to mind at all, either.    There's no way he's broke.
You think maybe he was playing with FTP money?Also, I think a popular player can go broke meaning he doens't have a lot of his own funds to use. A player like Gus would have no problem finding someone to stake him in 2000-4000 but at a NL table where millions are being passed around, I would think they might have 2nd thoughts.
You think maybe he was playing with FTP money?Also, I think a popular player can go broke meaning he doens't have a lot of his own funds to use. A player like Gus would have no problem finding someone to stake him in 2000-4000 but at a NL table where millions are being passed around, I would think they might have 2nd thoughts.
This implies they had first thoughts.
I saw Gus playing the 4000-8000 game at the Bellagio about 3 weeks ago.But it is funny someone else told me he filed bankruptcy in December.  I find it hard to believe but I'm not certain either way.
If he did file for bankrupcy, that doesn't necessarily mean he's broke. Bankrupcy can be used as a financial tool in certain situations; I've heard of doctors who filed bankrupcy every couple of years or so, and made money off of it. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I know its done.Also, laws have recently been passed, or are in the process of being passed that will curb this a little bit.

Umm..."Gus Hansen is broke and/or hit by a bus and/or eating Doyle's crackers in Turd Ferguson's basement" is a running gag around here. I certainly hope that the person who brought it up was just funnin' ya.

Umm..."Gus Hansen is broke and/or hit by a bus and/or eating Doyle's crackers in Turd Ferguson's basement" is a running gag around here. I certainly hope that the person who brought it up was just funnin' ya.
I never understood how this part of the rumor took off. Can anybody enlighten me?
Gus isn't broke. There's no way. Did you see how casually he just donked off his chips in that Full Tilt Poker Invitational? He just called off all of his chips with Q8o . He didn't seem to mind at all, either. There's no way he's broke.
owlmerfudd.jpg
I saw Gus playing the 4000-8000 game at the Bellagio about 3 weeks ago.But it is funny someone else told me he filed bankruptcy in December. I find it hard to believe but I'm not certain either way.
If he did file for bankrupcy, that doesn't necessarily mean he's broke. Bankrupcy can be used as a financial tool in certain situations; I've heard of doctors who filed bankrupcy every couple of years or so, and made money off of it. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I know its done.Also, laws have recently been passed, or are in the process of being passed that will curb this a little bit.
It might just be me, but doesn't bankruptcy kill your credit? How could you make money off it?

in no way do i know what i'm talking about, but backrupcy protects you legally from debts owed. its my understanding that it can't actually make you money, but can protect money you have coming in. look at OJ. kills his wife, found guilty in civil court, but files for bankrupcy so the families of goldman and brown can't touch his incoming income. keeps his money, stays rich. but again, i could just completely be speakin out of my ass.

I never understood how this part of the rumor took off. Can anybody enlighten me?
I have been enlightened. Yes I was curious, yes I had my guesses, and yes I am now satisfied. TY BILL BRASKY!geez, how cryptic was that post?
I have been enlightened. Yes I was curious, yes I had my guesses, and yes I am now satisfied. TY BILL BRASKY!geez, how cryptic was that post?
Now I'm really confused.
I dont know, but Ive got a guess for each one...Phil Ivey- Uncomfortable having his hole cards on camera during a cash game.Gus Hansen- Out of town at time of filmingChip Reese- I dont believe that NL Holdem is one of his better games.
What would be the difference from when his hole cards are on camera during a tournament. I don't get how this would make him uncomfortable.

From what I understand, here is how the bankrupcy laws have changes. Basically it is more difficult to file for chapter 7 brupcy, which is where you just donk off your debt (credit card debt, unsecured debts) but are allowed to keep secured assets like your home. You have to go through an aproval process... You have to seek out debt counciling, you often have to make less than the mean income in your state. This change was pushed through legislation by the credit card industry who obviously want their money back (at 30%). The largest single contribution to the Bush campaign in 2000 was MBNA. Now most people have to file for chapter thirteen, another form of personal bankrupcy where you have to pay back a good portion of your debts. I believe you can only file for personal brupcy every 7 or 10 years. If GUS did it i see it one of two ways... Either hes broke and cant make his yacht payments, or its +EV in some way. Or if he owned an incorporated company the company could have filed for chap 11? who knows.