what do you play? and why?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do better at L but I prefer NL. I play anywhere from $1/$2NL - a MAX of $50/$100NL and $10/$20L - a MAX of $300/$600L. The 2 extremes are too high for me. "Yes it's just because of the money." I find I like $30/$60L and $5/$10NL best. I find 3 tables to be quite sufficient. 8) I play 90% TH and 10% other. I was playing many S n Gs of various buyins for a while and will get back to that in the near future. 8)

This forum never fails to make me laugh . . . Why are all forums like this? Either a forum flames the newb's or warmly welcomes them. This forum has such a bad rep of flaming all the newb's and personally I think it's just f_ucking stupid.Apparently not everyone here is like that. However I have visited this forum many times and I don't post because I don't want to get into a flame war with anyone. Hell, it seems like any little thing can set one off - a person has too few posts, a person asks a stupid question, a person starts a redundant thread, a person adds too many smileys to their post, or simply wears the wrong color panties while posting.Anyhow, it makes for a good laugh when you're bored but otherwise it's really juvenille.Oh, and the question . . . what do I play and why?I learned to play poker when I was 10. I played 5 card draw with my younger brother. When most kids were playing their Nintendo's we were playing poker. I am 26 now and have learned quite a bit about poker since then. I am not an expert for sure. In fact, I don't even know if I am really good at it or not. I rarely get a chance to play and honestly don't have the money to play much but when I do play I enjoy playing NL Hold Em and NL Omaha online and live. It's rare that I find the opprotunity to play though; juggling a 3 year old and poker isn't exactly an easy task.Anyhow, I would eventually like to learn a little more about the game and sharpen my skills (limited as they are).Oh and one more thing . . . I would like to know who in the world has the time to make a bijillion posts here anyhow? Honestly, there's other things to do . . . for instance LIFE.Good day all.

This forum has such a bad rep of flaming all the newb's and personally I think it's just f_ucking stupid.Apparently not everyone here is like that. --Hell, it seems like any little thing can set one off - a person has too few posts, a person asks a stupid question, a person starts a redundant thread, a person adds too many smileys to their post, or simply wears the wrong color panties while posting.
A coupe things....No, not everyone here is like that. If you're looking for intelligent poker conversation, go to the strategy sections. You will certainly not find that in the General Forum. This forum was our own little niche in the web for a good year. In the last 2 months we've picked up about 10k posters. We had 5k before that. So the forum's tripled in size. That, coupled with the fact that a lot of the posters who were here are starting to fade away has made for a difficult transition. Previously, everyone knew what threads had been discussed, what was appropriate forum etiquette, and we certainly weren't putting up with daily threads about how horrible a person/poker player Daniel is. With that being said, I can't remember one time where a "newb" has made a legitimate post with either a rational thought, a good question, or anything useful that has gotten flamed. Idiots get flamed. Simple as that.As for this little nugget..
Oh and one more thing . . . I would like to know who in the world has the time to make a bijillion posts here anyhow? Honestly, there's other things to do . . . for instance LIFE.
..what were you saying about juvenile? To a lot of people, poker is a big part of their life. Whether it's a means of income, entertainment, or social interaction. This forum coincides with that in that there is a great deal of poker knowledge, strategy, poker minds, poker theory and discussion on this site. There's also a lot of really great people. Personally, I correspond with probably 10 or so people that I've met in this forum, outside of the forum. I've played poker with a couple at my local Brick and Mortar and they're good people. The fact that you judge all of us based on some threads in here is silly and a bit myopic. I suggest if you're as interested in poker as you say you are, you check out the other forums and try and get into some real conversations. If you don't make that attempt, you have no reason to complain.
This forum has such a bad rep of flaming all the newb's and personally I think it's just f_ucking stupid.Apparently not everyone here is like that. --Hell, it seems like any little thing can set one off - a person has too few posts, a person asks a stupid question, a person starts a redundant thread, a person adds too many smileys to their post, or simply wears the wrong color panties while posting.
A coupe things....No, not everyone here is like that. If you're looking for intelligent poker conversation, go to the strategy sections. You will certainly not find that in the General Forum. This forum was our own little niche in the web for a good year. In the last 2 months we've picked up about 10k posters. We had 5k before that. So the forum's tripled in size. That, coupled with the fact that a lot of the posters who were here are starting to fade away has made for a difficult transition. Previously, everyone knew what threads had been discussed, what was appropriate forum etiquette, and we certainly weren't putting up with daily threads about how horrible a person/poker player Daniel is. With that being said, I can't remember one time where a "newb" has made a legitimate post with either a rational thought, a good question, or anything useful that has gotten flamed. Idiots get flamed. Simple as that.As for this little nugget..
Oh and one more thing . . . I would like to know who in the world has the time to make a bijillion posts here anyhow? Honestly, there's other things to do . . . for instance LIFE.
..what were you saying about juvenile? To a lot of people, poker is a big part of their life. Whether it's a means of income, entertainment, or social interaction. This forum coincides with that in that there is a great deal of poker knowledge, strategy, poker minds, poker theory and discussion on this site. There's also a lot of really great people. Personally, I correspond with probably 10 or so people that I've met in this forum, outside of the forum. I've played poker with a couple at my local Brick and Mortar and they're good people. The fact that you judge all of us based on some threads in here is silly and a bit myopic. I suggest if you're as interested in poker as you say you are, you check out the other forums and try and get into some real conversations. If you don't make that attempt, you have no reason to complain.
Ah, the intelligent stuff is in the Strategy section. Thanks for the good advice. Oh and off subject - I like your pic! Funny.I hate even posting about the flaming because well posting about it is just about as useless as it is. It's all sort of stupid. You say that idiots get flamed . . . well, I for one don't think that m215 was being an idiot and he got burned.I understand that the forum has grown but I just don't see the point in expecting everyone who comes here to KNOW the ropes - the etiquette, which threads were posted previously, and that unfavorable opinions of Daniel are not tolerated. How many posters did you say were here? 10K? 15K? All of those people cannot be expected to be a fan of Daniel, etc., etc.About the little nugget I wrote . . . I admit that it was slightly childish of me. I mean, who am I? Dr. Phil? Not sure what I was trying to get across there except that I think it is sad when people allow poker, forums, eating, gambling, drugs, alcohol, or what have you to take over their entire lives. That's just my stupid opinion though.I am sure that poker does not come in first in any of your lives. I am sure that everyone here spends plenty of time with their families and does not forsake that time at the expense of poker, etc.Just rambling, excuse me. I apologize that it seemed somewhat silly and myopic. I never said anyone was a bad person. When I wrote, "Apparently not everyone in here is like that," I feel that shows I was not being judgemental of the entire 15,000 posters here.Oh and thanks again for your advice! I have already been to the Strategy sect and I have read many of the threads there but I guess I need to just stick to that section since my game needs a lot of improvement. I might pop in the General sect from time to time for a good laugh though.Yes, I must make an attempt to have a flame free discussion or I could just sit back and read the wealth of knowledge in the Strategy Sect like I have in the past. The only reason I got into this discussion is because it was the first thread I read today and I thought it was interesting; the question and the little flame war.
I hate even posting about the flaming because well posting about it is just about as useless as it is. It's all sort of stupid. You say that idiots get flamed . . . well, I for one don't think that m215 was being an idiot and he got burned.
I don't think his intention behind the thread was idiotic. I think the points he used to back up his claim that No Limit > Limit were just short of silly. For example, "I can bet someone off a flush draw in NL as opposed to Limit where they chase cheaply." The fact is, you want people chasing. He will miss 2 out of 3 times. That's just fact. Limit is a different, more nuanced game than NL--one of the reasons I've struggled to learn it. Many people fail to understand, or fail to learn the nuances and become frustrated. Simple as that.
I understand that the forum has grown but I just don't see the point in expecting everyone who comes here to KNOW the ropes - the etiquette, which threads were posted previously, and that unfavorable opinions of Daniel are not tolerated. How many posters did you say were here? 10K? 15K? All of those people cannot be expected to be a fan of Daniel, etc., etc.
I don't think people should be expected to know, but that doesn't make it less frustrating for everyone else, if that makes any sense. Maybe a "Before You Post" email or something explaining some of it.I don't mind unfavorable opinions of Daniel--most reasonable people on this forum don't. Hell, half the time I agree. I'm fairly certain negative posts about Daniel don't even get locked/deleted unless they're duplicate threads. But I don't think tirade after tirade about how horrible the guy is at poker, and how he's a phony person are relevant, nor are they based in fact. If someone ever gave me proof of him being a bad poker player I'd recant and agree. The fact is though, they can't. And it becomes extremely frustrating trying to have a discussion when the intent of the poster is only to take shots at this site's proprietor. It's basically talking to a wall.
About the little nugget I wrote . . . I admit that it was slightly childish of me. I mean, who am I? Dr. Phil? Not sure what I was trying to get across there except that I think it is sad when people allow poker, forums, eating, gambling, drugs, alcohol, or what have you to take over their entire lives. That's just my stupid opinion though.
It's not a stupid opinion. It's your opinion. I agree that allowing any kind of addiction to consume your life is a sad proposition. But I don't think that's relative to post count, but that's just my opinion.
I am sure that poker does not come in first in any of your lives. I am sure that everyone here spends plenty of time with their families and does not forsake that time at the expense of poker, etc.
That's probably a fair statement.
Oh and thanks again for your advice! I have already been to the Strategy sect and I have read many of the threads there but I guess I need to just stick to that section since my game needs a lot of improvement. I might pop in the General sect from time to time for a good laugh though.
There's a reason that very few regular/contributing posters post in General any more. And it's not because the intelligence level is too high. You'll find that people in strat will usually be very helpful if you have questions or post hands. Just always remember to be receptive--these people have no real vested interest in making you feel bad or look stupid. If you make a bad play, they'll likely tell you that, so be prepared to hear it. Do not take it personally.With all that being said, I really do hope that you take the time to look through the strategy sections and maybe even post some hands you had trouble with if you feel comfortable doing that. When you do post hands, make sure to give as much information as possible--it just makes things easier.I truly hope you find some things you'll consider to be helpful here. I know this General Forum is a zoo, but I promise you, if you look around, you'll find some very, very good information. And, if you take advice and ask questions, I promise you'll be a better poker player.Now I'm rambling. Welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the welcome. It is much appreciated. Yes, having your opponents chasing a flush is always good I think . . . whetherthey are chasing cheaply or chasing with big bets doesn't matter. What matters is the fact that they are simply praying that the suit they need falls on the turn or the river when more than likely you already had them on the flop.Yes a "Before You Post" email is a great idea. Oh and I, of course am a fan of Daniel. I really like Gus Hansen and Phil Ivey too. I think that's how he spells his name . . . Ivey? How did the post count thing pertain to addiction taking over people's lives? I don't know really, LOL. It's just that I imagine with a gigantic post count a person is probably devoting much if not most of their time to the forum perhaps ignoring their families and obligations, etc. Perhaps not and if so it's that person's business. It's probably not rational to link the post count and addiction but anyhow . . . on with the show.I know you have a high post count so does this make you an addict? Just joking, I hope you know.As I wrote earlier, I have been to the Strat Sect and read many of the threads there. There is a ton of information but I have always been hesitant to become involved in any discussions. I am very receptive to constructive criticism and I have a desire to learn the game in more depth so I guess I should just jump in the Strat Sect feet first. Head first perhaps . . . lol . . . same difference.::rambling now::Thanks again for the welcome. You have been the first helpful person I have met here. Thank you.p.s. - sorry for hijacking this thread . . . that's not proper etiquette, I know . . . lol

Yes, having your opponents chasing a flush is always good I think . . . whetherthey are chasing cheaply or chasing with big bets doesn't matter. What matters is the fact that they are simply praying that the suit they need falls on the turn or the river when more than likely you already had them on the flop.
It's good to have them chasing if you price them out, in NL, that is. In limit, the idea is, that for every time they hit their flush, they're missing two other times. You win 2 bets on the flop, and two bets on the turn (assuming they don't call the river) for every 1 bet on the flop and 1 bet on the turn that you lose when they hit. That's a very rough and dumbed down version, but, basically, whether they chase or not, it's never bad to get money in as the favorite.
I know you have a high post count so does this make you an addict? Just joking, I hope you know.
Addicted or dumb for sticking around, one of the two. :club:
I am very receptive to constructive criticism and I have a desire to learn the game in more depth so I guess I should just jump in the Strat Sect feet first. Head first perhaps . . . lol . . . same difference.
Sounds like you have the right idea and mindframe to get along just fine in the strategy section. Good luck, I hope you do.
Thanks again for the welcome. You have been the first helpful person I have met here. Thank you.
Hah! It's been awhile since I've been accused of that. Thanks, and good luck.

This is my first post guys. <---- How about that? Anyways, I see some comments on this thread about this thread "sucking". From an outside perspective, I think it would be alot better if the first reply wasn't from some loser changing the whole subject to: "I'm cool, you are a newb, newb. Bla bla bla." I also found the "I play omaha 8/b because I'm fancy and complicated etc." posts detrimental to the whole string of things, since the guy obviously was asking about limit versus no limit. Anyways, to reply to the original poster: Full Contact Poker is full of a bunch of livid pricks, and I wouldn't expect to ever find any meaningful discussion going on here. Anyways, as far as No limit vs. Limit poker... it doesn't matter... just be sure to play everything suited. PLEASE somebody start an argument with me I am so excited to be made fun of... here you go... Phil Hellmuth is the Nine Time World Champion. Tiffany Williamson has made more money than you guys! Chris Moneymaker has made millions playing poker. KJ UTG? Raise. Four bets come around to you, and you are looking at 10d 5d? Call. Mahatma? Great rapper.

PLEASE somebody start an argument with me I am so excited to be made fun of... here you go... Phil Hellmuth is the Nine Time World Champion. Tiffany Williamson has made more money than you guys! Chris Moneymaker has made millions playing poker. KJ UTG? Raise. Four bets come around to you, and you are looking at 10d 5d? Call. Mahatma? Great rapper.
..it appears you made an account specifically to insight trouble and cause flames. I'm not going to call you dumb for doing that, but, I can think of more worthwhile and effective ways to spend my time.If your intention by posting is solely to get flamed, like it appears from your other posts, you will not likely have an active account here for much longer. I'm just giving you the heads up.
no offense.. but i like how doublemeup has been here for 2 less months than the OP but the OP is the newbie.. hell, now im the newbie, and ive been here longer than 90% of the people who post.
I should be shot for not getting here 2 months earlier.
I'll buy the gun.................no sw
Chillax man. Learn to get flamed. What does newbie have anything to do with it? 2.6 billion meaningless threads that are posted in the general forum are posted by newbs. Thats what it has to do with it.
Again why is this a meaningless thread?I think it's a valid question on why people prefer these 2 types of games.Alot of people are answering it and getting information.Just because you think it's meaningless we all have to think that?GO AWAY LOSER!BTW:
Most people are tired of them and i was making a harmless joke.
Most people are tired of replies like you give because you do not like the topic at hand....SORRY!
Chillax newb
The moral of the story is there's no point handing "doublemeup"s ass to him, because he'll just react with some pathetic remark to pad his post-count.
FOR THE LAST TIME I WAS JOKING THE WHOLE TIME SO GIVE ME A F.UCKING BREAK!
+1 It just doesn't end. For the record, not sure your comments qualify as a joke if people are laughing at you, not with you. That makes you the jopke.

For the OP, here's what I play:- When in Vegas, the 2-5 NL game or the 10-20 NL game.- When at home in HK, 10-20 LHE and 10-20 Limit O8B.- Online, 2-4 LHE and 3-6 LHE (for practice)This seems like an eclectic mix, but here's why I do what I do. First, poker is not my primary source of income. I play both NL and Limit because I want to round out my game. I do not play tournaments, either online or in live games. I do pride myself on winning, but it will not end my world if I lose for a while.In Vegas, I play the NL games because I do not want to fly 15 hours to go to the Bellagio and grind it out when I know I will lose patience getting ready to eat dinner or go to a show. I guess you could argue that I am one of the tourists that you take advantage of at your game. I will play the 2-5 game most of the time. If I am doing well at craps and blackjack, I will play the 10-20 NL game, particularly if I am playing well or the table looks softer than the 2-5 NL (which is possible).In HE, I prefer Limit, to be honest, because I think that I excel at the math and discipline, not at making huge, well-timed re-raises that are sometimes necessary in NL. I believe that if you are playing a lot, LHE offers you an opportunity to define your edge and monetize it with more clarity. I do not expect to be on TV playing poker, so the allure of NL is not as huge for me, given that I am not as good at it as I would like to be.The final reason I play both is that the big live home game in my town is a half-pot limit HE game with a pretty large buy-in. I have yet to play in it, because I am working out the best way to approach it. Any full raise will still offer the next player 3-1 odds to call, so the pots get huge and my friends that play the game go through big swings. I play both Limit and NL because I think the optimal strategy in this game (which I intend to play soon) requires expertise in both games.Hope this makes sense. GL to all,-h

I play NL HE instead of limit Holdem.NL HE takes a lot more skill and is more challenging to play. Limit seems to me like a straight up mathematical game with little room for bluffing and creativity. Playing Limit is a grind and the game become so repetitive.You can't chase away draws, you can't play on people's weaknesses as much, and you can't bluff. As a very competetive person I just can't get the fire started in me playing that game. It is however great for utilizing consistent profit and have low variance swings. It's tough to lead hands in that game and people are constantly drawing out on you. Just drives me crazy somedays.NL for me.

I'm learning to like middle limit HE more and more. Play is good, though certainly not great. Less fluctuations than NL, and I feel more comfortable knowing that I can't lose 5% of my bankroll on one hand. I say 3/6, 4/8, 5/10 LHE is where it's at if you're trying to improve/sharpen your game while gradually building a respectable roll.Then again, I think that some folks just have a NL mindset. Some players see poker as black and white, red light/green light. And some succeed at it, though they probably have pulled out all of their hair from the swings. But I'm beginning to realize that most NL onliners are coming to gamble, to get all their money in as 3:2 favorites. If the stakes in your online NL games are small enough that your bankroll can withstand the inevitable downswings, a good player can make a legit profit. But trust me that you won't be able to make it to see positive variance if your bankroll isn't large enough.I'm considering giving up online NL because I find it much harder to pick up reads over a computer than in person. A delayed click isn't quite the giveaway that a tilt of the head is. My live NL results, though I don't have exact stats, are much, much better than my online NL results. Then again, my live bb/hr rate is much higher than my online rate in general. I'm not saying everyone should give up online NL, just be careful to pick your limits and don't assume that your skill will never allow you to have downswings that threaten the mere existence of your bankroll.Just my 2c.

Chillax man. Learn to get flamed. What does newbie have anything to do with it? 2.6 billion meaningless threads that are posted in the general forum are posted by newbs. Thats what it has to do with it.
Again why is this a meaningless thread?I think it's a valid question on why people prefer these 2 types of games.Alot of people are answering it and getting information.Just because you think it's meaningless we all have to think that?GO AWAY LOSER!BTW:
Most people are tired of them and i was making a harmless joke.
Most people are tired of replies like you give because you do not like the topic at hand....SORRY!
Chillax newb
The moral of the story is there's no point handing "doublemeup"s ass to him, because he'll just react with some pathetic remark to pad his post-count.
FOR THE LAST TIME I WAS JOKING THE WHOLE TIME SO GIVE ME A F.UCKING BREAK!
+1 It just doesn't end. For the record, not sure your comments qualify as a joke if people are laughing at you, not with you. That makes you the jopke.
#1 thing wrong with that post: It did end, a looong time ago so you're a little off on that one.#2 thing wrong with that post: Buddy, nobody was laughing at all so not sure what you're smokin. Why do donks like you like to bring up old flame wars. GIVE IT UP!
Will you say for the courts that Nl requires more skill than limit?
I think both require an equal amount of skill.Why do you think I started this topic? So I can get a feel for who plays what and why.

I think NL requires more skill, and I would say that in court. LHE is an entirely different game but any person can pick up a limit book and apply its knowledge to the game and come out a winner, not neccesarily a giant winner, but a winner nonetheless. It still takes a great deal of skill to become a winning player at both facets of the game, but becoming a winning NLHE player takes more dedication and game experience.