question for those who pay bills via online poker...

lol. Ouch, bad read. Sry man. I proly read you wrong because online poker is my leak. I started reading this forum again to plug it. Since we're here... how many folks out there could make (are making) a healthy profit live but leak online??
My leak appears to be live.. I do well multi-tablin sit n goes ... but when I can only see 30 hands an hour I lose my patience.
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything Alf said is great advice. Actually, most of this thread is filled with great advice. Do not move up in limits though unless you can a) afford the variance and B) play there comfortably. I don't know the bankroll limits for Omaha, so I'm not going to tell you what you should and shouldn't do. Just remember that it's just as harmful to be overbankrolled as it is to be underbankrolled.
Hi Custom....I was wondering what could be wrong with being overbankrolled ? I'm not trying to pick a fight/disagree....I'm just not seeing where you are going with that. Obviously I understand not being under bankrolled, but what would be wrong with having too much money ? I can see (someday, I hope !) me having the money to move up in limits, but not feel that I am competitively ready to do it.
The problem with being overbankrolled is that (assuming you have the skill level to play higher) you're losing money by not moving up in stakes. I'm talking specifically for limit hold'em, as I don't play the other games enough to confidently talk about them. If you're making 3bb/100 at 1/2 (for example), you're making $6/100 hands. If you're overbankrolled, you're losing money because you can make the same rate at 2/4, since there's not a big leap in talent from 1/2 to 2/4. The same holds true for players at higher levels such as 10/20. There's not much of a leap in ability between 10/20 and 15/30, so if you're overbankrolled for 10/20, you're losing money by not moving up to 15/30.Hopefully that made sense.
14K a month? So about $500 a day?You must be playing some pretty high limits.
Where and what name? Thanks.
Can't remember where, but read some article that said only 2% of all online players win any money at all long term.Now I am probably just hoping, but I would guess FCP is a little ahead of that mark, maybe 5% that make positive money. But as for making a living at it? I would guess .5% to 2% tops.
I keep seeing things like this, but my PT stats for 40,000 hands (as long as I've used it) against 5000 players shows a solid 40% are positive. And before you ask, no, they didn't all win it from me. I'm in the 40%. Of those, I doubt if hardly any are making a living from it, but I don't buy into the idea that almost all online players are losers.
Can't remember where, but read some article that said only 2% of all online players win any money at all long term.Now I am probably just hoping, but I would guess FCP is a little ahead of that mark, maybe 5% that make positive money. But as for making a living at it? I would guess .5% to 2% tops.
I keep seeing things like this, but my PT stats for 40,000 hands (as long as I've used it) against 5000 players shows a solid 40% are positive. And before you ask, no, they didn't all win it from me. I'm in the 40%. Of those, I doubt if hardly any are making a living from it, but I don't buy into the idea that almost all online players are losers.
longer term losers, you probably only have >100 hands for some of these people, also there is no way for you to know how many people are winning at the 25NL but like to jump up to 200NL and lose it all.

i actually dont play high limits i play 2 4 nl and some 5 10 nl, i play about 8 tables at a time, i know of a few guys making the same amount i do playing 2 4 , I play about 40-50 hours a weekmy numbers are in canadian funds, if u have any questions feel free

It almost seems too easy when I calculated it.If I beat 15/30 for 2.5BB/100, and 3 table for 4 hours per day for 300 days in the year, I could make $240k per year. Someone feel free to check those for me, but that's what I came up with.

i actually dont play high limits i play 2 4 nl and some 5 10 nl, i play about 8 tables at a time, i know of a few guys making the same amount i do playing 2 4 , I play about 40-50 hours  a weekmy numbers are in canadian funds, if u have any questions feel free
I guess this is my leak...i have a rough time multi-tabling.I come from a more live play background so not paying attention to my opponents play behavior is kinda difficult to me.So i'm guess to MT you just play compeletely straight forward with the cards you are given. Which seems like it would be even more difficult with NL. But w/e its working for you lol congrats.I guess i've got about 7 months to work on multi-tabling...anyone have some tips for the best way to go about this to reduce misclicks and maximize value betting?
longer term losers, you probably only have >100 hands for some of these people, also there is no way for you to know how many people are winning at the 25NL but like to jump up to 200NL and lose it all.
The second part of your reply is relevant but the first part isn't - 40,000 hands against the same people or different people doesn't matter. It's the number of hands that matters for sample size in this case. But I have no idea what these players did at other limits and in other games.
It almost seems too easy when I calculated it.  If I beat 15/30 for 2.5BB/100, and 3 table for 4 hours per day for 300 days in the year, I could make $240k per year. Someone feel free to check those for me, but that's what I came up with.
IF you beat it for those rates, your expected annual income would be closer to, say, $180,000.Your calculation is closer to what it would be if you were seeing nearly 100 hands per table per hour. Realistically, it's closer to 70. 28 hours a week is quite a bit of table time too - and you need to account for adjustment periods. Finding tables, and finding new tables when old ones break takes time. Not too much, but it adds up.
The second part of your reply is relevant but the first part isn't - 40,000 hands against the same people or different people doesn't matter. It's the number of hands that matters for sample size in this case. But I have no idea what these players did at other limits and in other games.
The first part is the most important part.A losing player will often be up after a 100 sample of hands.A losing player will almost never be up after a 10,000 sample of hands. Of 10 losing players each with hand samples of 100, you expect slightly fewer than half to be up on average. Correct? The cards determine who wins the hand. A bad player will win more when ahead and lose less when behind, but the cards will determine who is up for the most part. If you have a sample of 100 hands of 8,000 players and 3,200 were up, would that necessarily imply that we expect 40% are long term winning players?
i actually dont play high limits i play 2 4 nl and some 5 10 nl, i play about 8 tables at a time, i know of a few guys making the same amount i do playing 2 4 , I play about 40-50 hours  a weekmy numbers are in canadian funds, if u have any questions feel free
Well that's a pretty sweet return. Congrats on making such a nice living off this wonderful game.
Out of those 5000 players, what number do you have a 10,000 hand history on?
  • 3 weeks later...
The first part is the most important part.A losing player will often be up after a 100 sample of hands.A losing player will almost never be up after a 10,000 sample of hands. Of 10 losing players each with hand samples of 100, you expect slightly fewer than half to be up on average. Correct? The cards determine who wins the hand. A bad player will win more when ahead and lose less when behind, but the cards will determine who is up for the most part. If you have a sample of 100 hands of 8,000 players and 3,200 were up, would that necessarily imply that we expect 40% are long term winning players?
Statistically, 100,000 players all with an e.v of, say, -.5 BB/100 hands playing one hand each is the same as 10 players with the same e.v. playing 10,000 hands each.As to the bolded part, I thought that that was the definition of a good player. You're saying a good player will win less when ahead and lose more when behind?