what music are you guys listening to?

GO ON...
It was really stupid. She had an in-store concert to commemorate the closing of the Virgin Megastore, and after she booth where you could line up and get an album signed. The concert was pretty awesome, as expected. And, since I hadn't bought the album yet, I figured, what the heck, I'd get in line and get to meet Annie.So a friend and I waited in line with our new "Actor" cd's. At the time, my friend was growing a new beard, so I thought I'd have some fun with the situation. I got up to Annie and handed her my cd. I then said to here, "Okay, here's the deal. The guy behind me is starting to grow a beard, and he's really self-conscious about it. So, when he comes up to you, be sure to tell him that you like his beard." She said okay, winked at me, and signed my cd. I watched her as my friend went up to her. She wrote something on his album, he looked down at it, looked over at me, and said, "He told you to write that." She responded, "I have no idea what you're talking about," in a sweet, coy tone. The whole thing was pretty fun.When we got out of the store, I realized that I hadn't read what she wrote on my album. I looked down at the cd, and all it said was, "I like your beard too. -Annie"
  • Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hans, boubie, I'm your white knight

holy shit, I can't stop listening to Run The Jewels 2

Bob Dylan.

It was really stupid. She had an in-store concert to commemorate the closing of the Virgin Megastore, and after she booth where you could line up and get an album signed. The concert was pretty awesome, as expected. And, since I hadn't bought the album yet, I figured, what the heck, I'd get in line and get to meet Annie.So a friend and I waited in line with our new "Actor" cd's. At the time, my friend was growing a new beard, so I thought I'd have some fun with the situation. I got up to Annie and handed her my cd. I then said to here, "Okay, here's the deal. The guy behind me is starting to grow a beard, and he's really self-conscious about it. So, when he comes up to you, be sure to tell him that you like his beard." She said okay, winked at me, and signed my cd. I watched her as my friend went up to her. She wrote something on his album, he looked down at it, looked over at me, and said, "He told you to write that." She responded, "I have no idea what you're talking about," in a sweet, coy tone. The whole thing was pretty fun.When we got out of the store, I realized that I hadn't read what she wrote on my album. I looked down at the cd, and all it said was, "I like your beard too. -Annie"
wait, you have a beard? that's not right.
THAT SOUNDS PRETTY MUCH LIKE THE OPPOSITE OF STUPID TO ME
Yeah, you were holding back a premium Annie story, LLY, and the only reason I can figure is that you don't like us very much.
Yeah, you were holding back a premium Annie story, LLY, and the only reason I can figure is that you don't like us very much.
actually, he did post that before. I don't know how mk could have missed it if he was rummaging back that far.also, kudos to LLY if he really did write it (again) just for us

it was more verbose and awesome than I remembered, so here you go

So, I went to see St. Vincent today at the Virgin Megastore in Union Square. Unfortunately, this amazing store is closing for good in a few weeks, and that's going to be a major blow to my cd buying. But that's a different story.She played a short set of songs from her new album, but she's fantastic live and a short set is better than no set. She always finds a place to bust out some grinding guitar solos, which is always cool. Plus she's just incredibly cutesy on stage, so that's fun too.I went with one of my friends. He had recently started growing a beard and wasn't sure how he felt about it. Before the show began, we met up with another friend (a girl) who made it quite clear that she didn't approve of my friend's beard. He's a pretty self-conscious guy in general, so this didn't make him feel so great.After the concert, Annie was having one of those always awkward cd signings. I'm not huge into silly things like this, but I was buying a cd anyway and the line was short, so I decided to get an autograph. I was before my friend in line, and when it was my turn I stepped up to her little both thingy.We had a little awkward chit chat and I joked with her about not being able to open the cd (which I couldn't; it was jammed shut and it took me a few minutes in the privacy of my own home to actually get it open). I then lead in and said to her, "Okay, here's the deal. My friend in line right behind me is unsure whether or not he likes his beard, so you have to be sure to tell him that it looks really good." She gave me a nod of acknowledgment, wrote me an autograph, I thanked her and I stepped aside.I watched my friend step up to her booth, and after a few moments he looked over at me, gave me an awkward look, and I overheard him saying, "He told you to say that..." Evidently she had written "I like your beard" on his copy of the cd.He thought it was pretty funny. He then asked me what she had written on my cd. I had forgotten to look, actually, since I was caught up in explaining the situation to Annie, so I pulled out my cd.It said, "Dearest Yorke, You have a nice beard too. xo -Annie"
actually, he did post that before. I don't know how mk could have missed it if he was rummaging back that far.also, kudos to LLY if he really did write it (again) just for us
So now I'm expected to read and know about things before I make declarations about them? I accuse Yorke of setting me up here with this shit.

So I was going through my itunes last night, and sorting out some stuff. Found out I have a song called "That Lady" by the Isley Brothers. Great song, but I never knew it was by them.Listened to a couple other stuff on youtube, and I am now a fan.Can anyone recommend a good first album to check out by them?

So I was going through my itunes last night, and sorting out some stuff. Found out I have a song called "That Lady" by the Isley Brothers. Great song, but I never knew it was by them.Listened to a couple other stuff on youtube, and I am now a fan.Can anyone recommend a good first album to check out by them?
I've been listening to a lot of similar 70s music, but haven't gotten to them yet. Best I can tell you is that that song is on the album 3+3, from 1973. Probably their biggest hit single was 'It's Your Thing,' which came out 4 years earlier. I would however recommend checking out Billy Paul. I mention him because his sound is somewhat similar to "That Lady," and also I think he's lesser known. I at least hadn't heard of him til last year. Anyways, he's one of the few artists who I actually wouldn't recommend against getting a greatest hits compilation (assuming it was a good one). However I would also recommend the albums War Of The Gods, and 360 Degrees Of Billy Paul as starting points.
wait, you have a beard? that's not right.
I've fallen into the habit of shaving once every 3 weeks or so. It's just too much of a hassel to do it every day. Basically, I wait until my beard gets too scratcy, and then I shave it all off. I guess I saw Annie toward the end of one of those cycles.
So now I'm expected to read and know about things before I make declarations about them? I accuse Yorke of setting me up here with this shit.
You fell for the trap that I've been setting up for over a year. Excellent.

I am in the process of making of mix for a girl. Her tastes are more indie than most people's, but she knows less music than I do. It's actually coming together pretty well so far, though I am only 10 songs in, and still might change it. Whenever I make somebody a mix, it comes with a track-listing, and an explanation/discussion/anecdote that accompanies each. I... will leave that out for now, as I'm over 1,100 words so far. I'm actually shocked that I've never shared a complete "Mix + Accompanying, Overlong Explanation for Each Track." I'd say, when I'm making a 15-song mix, a standard word count for the track-listing is somewhere around 1,750. Here's the current track-listing, as well as links to each song on YouTube. 1) My Bloody Valentine “Only Shallow” Loveless (1991)2) The Twilight Sad

Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters (2007)3) M83
Before the Dawn Heals Us (2005)4) Bear in Heaven
Beast Rest Forth Mouth (2009)5) Caribou
The Milk of Human Kindness (2005)6) LCD Soundsystem “All I Want” This Is Happening (2010)7) Deerhunter “Nothing Ever Happened” Microcastle (2008)8) Atlas Sound (ft. Noah Lennox) “Walkabout” Logos (2009)9) Neon Indian
Psychic Chasms (2009)10) Dan Deacon “Build Voice” Bromst (2009)It's possible she's familiar with some of these tracks, but I'd set the line as:Number of tracks she has in her current iTunes library:OVER 1.5 +150UNDER 1.5 -175I don't know why I took the time to share this. I probably should have just posted this in the sick thread. Maybe I'll do that if someone tells me to.

i like all of these picks, but i'd replace "all i want" with "i can change". girls LOVE that song, and she will want to bone you. i KNOW from experience. no...no you don't. well, a guy i know.....i saw something cool this morning. matador is doing a 21st bday (anniversary?) celebration in vegas in october, and bands on the bill include gbv, sonic youth, cat power, spoon, belle & sebastian, yo la tengo and pavement. thread meet up?

I'm liking them. Been youtubing them all day. I work in a smallish office with 7 people. When I played Bloody Valentine from Bears list I had to mute the chorus to stop the complaining so The xx work well here.I like this song but would expect is one the songs mk would call shocking boring. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKEdv4B66eo...feature=related

i like all of these picks, but i'd replace "all i want" with "i can change". girls LOVE that song, and she will want to bone you. i KNOW from experience. no...no you don't. well, a guy i know.....i saw something cool this morning. matador is doing a 21st bday (anniversary?) celebration in vegas in october, and bands on the bill include gbv, sonic youth, cat power, spoon, belle & sebastian, yo la tengo and pavement. thread meet up?
"All I Want" is my absolute favorite song off that album, and is probably Record of the Year for me at this point. It might actually be my favorite LCD Soundsystem track.Plus, it kind of works really well where it is in the mix so far. I needed a good transition from the Shoegaze and Youth portion of the album (tracks 1-4), and "Lord Leopard," being short and instrumental, works pretty well to that end. I've always identified Milk of Human Kindness (the Caribou album) with a kind of Krauty sensibility, which helps me get to "All I Want" via the "David Bowie during his Berlin phase" comparison. The track also ties in well with "Nothing Ever Happened," as they are both anthemic and sweet. Deerhunter, via Bradford Cox, ties in with "Walkabout," which allows me to talk and joke about Chillwave, which gets me to "Deadbeat Summer." I'm working on another version of the mix that gets "Daytona 500" (Ghost) and "Criminology" (Rae) into the mix, the only way to do it, I think, is to lead the mix off with "Criminology," move to "Daytona 500," and then add a DJ Shadow interlude or something. It's hard to move from "Wu Rap" to non-rap unless you go, like, Rap ----> DJ Hip Hop ----> Electronica ----> ?Daytona, Criminology, Why Hip Hop Sucks in '96 (or Organ Donor). Then to what? Bear in Heaven? M83? Then how to do get MBV back on there without it feeling like a bad transition?Sigh. When I'm all done, I'll post the final tracklisting and my absurdly length explanations so you can laugh at Wang talking to women.
I'm liking them. Been youtubing them all day. I work in a smallish office with 7 people. When I played Bloody Valentine from Bears list I had to mute the chorus to stop the complaining so The xx work well here.
Does this mean you get to complain when they play American vanilla top 40 country music? That MBV song is super catchy and totally accessible. It's quite possible you had the volume way too low so that the highs and lows merge and their isn't enough space for the ear to pick up the true wall of sound. Now I totally hate your coworkers based on this singular event. Well, unless of course one of them has chubby cherub like features with wide hips, large chest, giant green eyes and an English accent. Her I could never hate.

can't recommend highly enough for all of you what or waffles members to get the 2003 vinyl remaster of loveless. it sounds heaps better than the original cd.

"All I Want" is my absolute favorite song off that album, and is probably Record of the Year for me at this point. It might actually be my favorite LCD Soundsystem track.
Yeah, "All I want" is the money track of that album. I'm starting to think "All I Want" > "All my Friends," though it would take a while to confirm such a thing.