stock market thread

$40 in 12-18 months! I have faith in Vikram Pandit. You still holding Visa? Buying more at these levels?I am definitely still scurred of financials over the short term...but I started dip buying the XLF. The pain isn't gone - but once it is it will be a steadily climbing sector.
I set a limit for Visa at $75 today but it never hit, came close though so I didn't buy. I have a feeling it might still go down some more though. Ok, so what is Vikram Pandit? Also, XLF is what? also, third question, you holding any C?
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I set a limit for Visa at $75 today but it never hit, came close though so I didn't buy. I have a feeling it might still go down some more though. Ok, so what is Vikram Pandit? Also, XLF is what? also, third question, you holding any C?
Vikram Pandit = fairly new CEO of Citi. He was with Morgan Stanley and ran a hedge fund and you only hear good things about him. He should be able to turn Citi around. I do not own Citi at the moment no - it's been too much of a battleground stock for me and i'm afraid to hold any one financial like that long term.XLF is the most commonly traded (I think) financial ETF - lets me start to get my financial exposure without having to worry about one specific company going to hell (Like Bear Sterns did).Visa should have support at $75 so I like that buy level - if it does break through i'd buy more as it nears $70 since I can't imagine it is going down past that (without some significant negative news).
Vikram Pandit = fairly new CEO of Citi. He was with Morgan Stanley and ran a hedge fund and you only hear good things about him. He should be able to turn Citi around. I do not own Citi at the moment no - it's been too much of a battleground stock for me and i'm afraid to hold any one financial like that long term.XLF is the most commonly traded (I think) financial ETF - lets me start to get my financial exposure without having to worry about one specific company going to hell (Like Bear Sterns did).Visa should have support at $75 so I like that buy level - if it does break through i'd buy more as it nears $70 since I can't imagine it is going down past that (without some significant negative news).
Cool thx. Are you going to pick up some Visa?
Any thoughts on "green" stock issues, like companies working on solar tech or ethanol, that kind of things?
Yes. Runaway. Most to all of them have no earnings.I am sure there are some good ones if you really do some research, but if you look at Green mutual funds and ETF's they are doing horrible.
Cool thx. Are you going to pick up some Visa?
I spent all my available funds in Ameritrade or I might have today. I am not a current owner of Visa, but I will be a buyer in the low 70's if it sticks around here. I'd like to see it flatten out somewhere and consolidate for a few days just to stop this downtrend.tbh I have a hell of a lot on my buy list now. Seeing much better prices finally on a lot of stuff i've been eyeing for longer term investments.
Any thoughts on "green" stock issues, like companies working on solar tech or ethanol, that kind of things?
You missed the boat on Solar - just sick sick gains in the last year or two. After those stocks come back to reality it is probably a great long term buy. But i'd be very very scared to be jumping in now. That is arguably the most volatile sector on wall street.Ethanol is a whole other beast - it just isn't going to replace oil consumption, so I wouldn't bet the farm here. As far as "going green" - if you go back to Fast Money & Mad Money during green week (month ago or so?) - they both covered/recommended tons of stocks/companies that fit this mold. Sorry I can't remember which. There are plenty of other things working so I don't care to speculate on green stocks as an investment strategy.
I spent all my available funds in Ameritrade or I might have today. I am not a current owner of Visa, but I will be a buyer in the low 70's if it sticks around here. I'd like to see it flatten out somewhere and consolidate for a few days just to stop this downtrend.
Nevermind.

So, Yoda, I just bought and sold V today. Bought at 76 sold at a little over 78. Might go up more tomorrow but might now, who really knows right? Made a little bit in a few hours so I'm out. Yes, I really have no rhyme or reason to the way I do things but it is what it is.

So, Yoda, I just bought and sold V today. Bought at 76 sold at a little over 78. Might go up more tomorrow but might now, who really knows right? Made a little bit in a few hours so I'm out. Yes, I really have no rhyme or reason to the way I do things but it is what it is.
W00t - daytrade. A lot more fun than buy & hold isn't it? I was worried when it dipped down to 74 - I thought it might fall all the way to 70 - but the market strengthened and it took Visa with it. I am still looking for a good entry point but like I said, I have a ton on my watchlist/buylist - we're back in that 1350-1400 S&P range though so I am not really looking to buy or sell a lot right now. Still worried about a prolonged recession or financial blowup. I would hate to be fully invested and have the next shoe drop.Should've daytraded SPF today - what a freakin move.
W00t - daytrade. A lot more fun than buy & hold isn't it? I was worried when it dipped down to 74 - I thought it might fall all the way to 70 - but the market strengthened and it took Visa with it. I am still looking for a good entry point but like I said, I have a ton on my watchlist/buylist - we're back in that 1350-1400 S&P range though so I am not really looking to buy or sell a lot right now. Still worried about a prolonged recession or financial blowup. I would hate to be fully invested and have the next shoe drop.Should've daytraded SPF today - what a freakin move.
Buy and hold is boring. I like to trade. The rake is brutal but oh well. It's just something to do on the side. Doing shit in poker today though. I'm such a donk. dropped $550 on tilt, now busto there. Played 2 4 nl heads up with my whole roll lol. What's SPF? Also, my knowledge of US stocks is limited, I'm Canadian and mainly look at the TSX. Actually my knowledge of stocks is limited.
Buy and hold is boring. I like to trade. The rake is brutal but oh well. It's just something to do on the side. Doing shit in poker today though. I'm such a donk. dropped $550 on tilt, now busto there. Played 2 4 nl heads up with my whole roll lol. What's SPF? Also, my knowledge of US stocks is limited, I'm Canadian and mainly look at the TSX. Actually my knowledge of stocks is limited.
Standard Pacific Homes - They are/were in a lot of trouble cause they focused on what turned out to be the worst real estate markets. But they got some capital infusion yesterday and went up like 40-60% in ONE DAY. Pretty sick.Any time you want to punch in a symbol, search by company name for a symbol, or check on the vital statistics...yahoo finance freaking rocks http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=spfI saw you were a gambling degen in one of those Genpop threads - I lol'ed

Nutz - if you don't watch Fast Money - they told a funny little story relating to Taser. I'll summarize..Guy is trying to escape police, jumps in a half frozen lake, goes into cardiac arrest or something, has to be taken to a hospital where he is held for extra time cause of an erratic heartbeat. Sees this as an opportunity to escape, tries to bolt (still with a heart problem). He gets Tasered, the extreme shock gets his heart beating back the way it should be. Problem solved, released from hospital to Jail.Maybe it DOESN'T kill people and cause health problems :club:

Standard Pacific Homes - They are/were in a lot of trouble cause they focused on what turned out to be the worst real estate markets. But they got some capital infusion yesterday and went up like 40-60% in ONE DAY. Pretty sick.Any time you want to punch in a symbol, search by company name for a symbol, or check on the vital statistics...yahoo finance freaking rocks http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=spfI saw you were a gambling degen in one of those Genpop threads - I lol'ed
Glad I can make you laugh.I trade with Scotia Mcleod. Their research is pretty good too. Just need to look at it more, :)What do you think of BAC?

Anyone have any thoughts on GIGM or MTW? Those are a few stocks that I have been following closely...Also if Microsoft falls down to around 27 does anyone else feel that it will quickly run back to 30?

Glad I can make you laugh.I trade with Scotia Mcleod. Their research is pretty good too. Just need to look at it more, :)What do you think of BAC?
You just love financials huh? It's probably too early for banks - I wouldn't recommend it for a trade, but if you are looking for a long term investment that is another story. If you had, say $5000 to put into it, I wouldn't just buy $5000 worth at these levels. I would buy $1000 now and then selectively buy on dips in another month or 2 (depending on how everything unwinds).
Anyone have any thoughts on GIGM or MTW? Those are a few stocks that I have been following closely...Also if Microsoft falls down to around 27 does anyone else feel that it will quickly run back to 30?
Gigamedia - China stock? May as well just buy a lotto ticket :club: I don't know anything about the company, but looking at the chart all I see is 6 months of flat to down movement...what is the catalyst that will make it better?MTW - not the best of breed in the sector. If you want pure Machinery with construction exposure you want CAT, if you want farm equipment/machinery with agriculture exposure you want DE.MSFT - I own $30 call options - but the Yahoo crap is really holding this stock down - I am not willing to let them expire worthless so if I have to get out at a slight loss I will.

Well, it is gonna be June. We're coming up on the book closing time again.... August, October, December, March....The Fed is quickly running low on it's $400 billion of available liquidity. More and more talk of bank faliures coming. House prices falling at record pace. Mass liquidations by the lenders that will have to be booked as losses. Municipalities all over the country at risk. Commercial property showing signs it is following residentail down the drain. Consumer spending flat, but only bacause we are understating inflation. Stimulus having less than desired effects. Consumer sentiment at 28 year low.Credit default swaps rising again. Signs of strain returning to the credit markets. Investigations into LIBOR reporting. So far, most job losses have been the hidden jobs. The Raltors, construction, mortgage originators and many other "self employeed" that don't show up as unemployed. But, that is changing. Retail, auto workers, auto dealerships, banks, brokerages, state and local governments, etc. all laying off. I so wish I could short this market. Unfortunatly, all my money is in 401(k)'s that don't offer short options. Looks like I'm back to treasuries for now. They've fallen substantially since the Bear bailout, but I have a strong feeling there will be another flight to quality soon.

Sometimes, the market stupidity is just tooooo blatent.Centex reports a $900 million loss. It has lost more than 50% of its book value in the last year. AND, the underlying fundamentals continue to get worse with fewer contracts, more cacellations and sharply dropping closings despite much, much lower prices. And the stock rises 6%.On the flip side, the builders now say they are not going to get their billion of dollars in loss carry-backs they were so hoping for. AND..... the sector as a whole climbed.Talk about a short-squeeze. DEFINATELY a sector to be shorting at this point! ITB will be back in the mid or low teens by June. By then it will be imposible to deny that the spring house selling season was a total bust for everything but post-foreclosures being liquidated at well below market... which is getting lower every day.The builders were undercutting the existing home market for awhile, but now the post-foreclosures are undercutting them.
Looks like I was wrong. Last day of May, and ITB is down from 21 to only 17.25. Not sure 17 counts as mid-teen. I was certainly expecting a larger than 18% drop. It did trade with a 16 handle last friday... That felt more "mid-teen"ish to me.
more retardation
By my estimate, you've been predicting the imminent end of the world for over a year now, yet we're pretty much where we were back then. Don't you ever get tired of being Wrong?
By my estimate, you've been predicting the imminent end of the world for over a year now, yet we're pretty much where we were back then. Don't you ever get tired of being Wrong?
I wasn't predicting the end of the world. I was predicting a credit crunch, volitile markets, housing market collapse, slowing consumer spending, job losses, lenders facing troubles and the Fed and government forced to choose between depression or hyper-inflation, Seen food and gas prices recently? What was I wrong about?As for "pretty much where we were"? Sure, if you count S&P off 9% in the last year, and 4% inflation (official lie rate) for a rough 13% drop to be break even, then yeah... 13% lossed purchasing power is pretty much right where we were. Sure.
I wasn't predicting the end of the world. I was predicting a credit crunch, volitile markets, housing market collapse, slowing consumer spending, job losses, lenders facing troubles and the Fed and government forced to choose between depression or hyper-inflation, Seen food and gas prices recently? What was I wrong about?
So your correct "predictions" consisted of repeating data that you found in articles in obscure places like Money Magazine and the Wall Street Journal? LOL. I'll help you out a little here: if it's already happening, it's not a prediction, it's reporting.As for "pretty much where we were"? Sure, if you count S&P off 9% in the last year, and 4% inflation (official lie rate) for a rough 13% drop to be break even, then yeah... 13% lossed purchasing power is pretty much right where we were. Sure.Compared to your end of the world scenarios, yeah, we're pretty much right where we were.You can't claim credit for the *reporting* part of your posts as being accurate predictions while ignoring the "it's going to get much much worse it'll be like the 30s all over again" part that actually was a prediction but was incorrect.If you are meant to be a joke account, my apologies. If you are, though, it's the least funny joke account ever.
So your correct "predictions" consisted of repeating data that you found in articles in obscure places like Money Magazine and the Wall Street Journal? LOL. I'll help you out a little here: if it's already happening, it's not a prediction, it's reporting.As for "pretty much where we were"? Sure, if you count S&P off 9% in the last year, and 4% inflation (official lie rate) for a rough 13% drop to be break even, then yeah... 13% lossed purchasing power is pretty much right where we were. Sure.Compared to your end of the world scenarios, yeah, we're pretty much right where we were.You can't claim credit for the *reporting* part of your posts as being accurate predictions while ignoring the "it's going to get much much worse it'll be like the 30s all over again" part that actually was a prediction but was incorrect.If you are meant to be a joke account, my apologies. If you are, though, it's the least funny joke account ever.
Sometimes I think he is Scram...unfortunately they both keep coming back.