stock market thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My stock PON (Potash North on the TSX venture) trading was halted before market open today. Yah, I only own one so far. Is that bad diversification? I sold my other 2 stocks yesterday, lol. http://www.potashnorth.com/press.php?id=23This must be why? I think it's good news. Yoda? or anyone else that's smart with this stuff?
Sorry no, this is usually bad. And for a small company could be very bad. They are basically selling stock in a private offering to raise more money. This dilutes the share prices because of more shares being available. The long and short of it is that they want to draw money out of their share price rather than take on debt.I suppose if investors think the money was drastically needed for these other projects and that it will make the company a ton more money faster, it could be seen as good. But stock offerings rarely are good.

Looks like it opened down over 10%, but has since recovered. There could be a lot more to this than that little press release. But who knows. That's why I don't like micro cap stocks, too tough to predict :club: But it looks like you are making money!

Picked up NM (Navios Martime) today - trying to play the shippers for a swing trade. Sure seems like Agriculture is about the only sector that is holding up here.

Picked up NM (Navios Martime) today - trying to play the shippers for a swing trade. Sure seems like Agriculture is about the only sector that is holding up here.
I was thinking of playing with DRYS but the price action has been terrible so I stayed away.
Looks like it opened down over 10%, but has since recovered. There could be a lot more to this than that little press release. But who knows. That's why I don't like micro cap stocks, too tough to predict :club: But it looks like you are making money!
thx.Closed at 3.78 today. Crazy action. I bought 2000 shares at 3.24. I also played with it a bit earlier last week too. bought 1000 at 2.00 sold at 2.70, rebought at 2.42, sold at 2.50, rebought 2.58, sold at 3.17, rebought 2000 at 3.24.The buying and selling didn't really work the last couple of times. I think I'm going to hold this one for a bit, I have a feel it has lots of potential. I was tempted to sell it today again since I was up 1k but I'll hold out till it doubles? Dont' know, it's a feel day by day thing, Potash is hot right now though. Kind of like uranium a while back.
I was thinking of playing with DRYS but the price action has been terrible so I stayed away.
Yeah, 88 looked like a floor but it zoomed right past it, 75 is the 200d MA - might take a shot there.
thx.Closed at 3.78 today. Crazy action. I bought 2000 shares at 3.24. I also played with it a bit earlier last week too. bought 1000 at 2.00 sold at 2.70, rebought at 2.42, sold at 2.50, rebought 2.58, sold at 3.17, rebought 2000 at 3.24.The buying and selling didn't really work the last couple of times. I think I'm going to hold this one for a bit, I have a feel it has lots of potential. I was tempted to sell it today again since I was up 1k but I'll hold out till it doubles? Dont' know, it's a feel day by day thing, Potash is hot right now though. Kind of like uranium a while back.
More power to ya, hope it skyrockets! Can't figure out why it rebounded and went up on a stock offering though. Maybe Ag and Potash are just so fckin strong people dont care. Wild speculation rocks :club: (until it ends, painfully, drastically).
More power to ya, hope it skyrockets! Can't figure out why it rebounded and went up on a stock offering though. Maybe Ag and Potash are just so fckin strong people dont care. Wild speculation rocks :club: (until it ends, painfully, drastically).
I hope so too. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

I'm glad I was wrong about how June may be another bad month. S&P down only 4.6% so far this month.Fed is out of bullets and is now talking rate hike to strengthen the dollar and slow inflation. And... saying it isn't like 1929. What was the net change in the DOW from 1/1/1929 to 12/31/1929? Answer: 305 to 232. -23.9%. Inflation rate -6.4%. Actual real loss in purchasing power = 17.5%.July high to now 14000-12080 = -13.7%. CPI inflation = 3.9%. Actual real loss in purchasing power = 17.6%.The main difference between then an now is the gold standard. They couldn't just print money out of thin air to trigger inflation like we can. But the change in purchasing power is the same.

Once again, the press is late to the story. My sister-in-law (ticker symble: btch) did this last year.http://www.azcentral.com/realestate/articl...AndBail-11.htmlHouse price crash continues at record pace. My house is off $6K (2.8%) in the last 30 days. Down a bit ovr 26% in the last 18 months. About half-way done with Phoenix are price drops. New defaults have gone flat at 6,000,about 3x normal. 8x the lows of the recent boom. Foreclosures still climbing at over 2000 a month. They should hit 3000 a month within a few months. Already 100x where they were during the boom. Of course, we are small potatoes compared to California. Trillion+ dollars in losses coming, just from there. 1000 defaults a work day. 500+ actual forclsoures per work day. 10,000+ a month, losing $200-300K per + legal fees + back taxes + unpaid interest + fees to resell. $30++ billion a month, just from residential, just from California. Commercial is now showing the cracks and threatens iminant collapse.But no fear, consumers still have their credit cards, for now, so they can continue to spend much more than they make, for now.We have SOOOOO far to go before this is over.

I have begun taking a more defensive position today.I find being spread over so many investments, though, makes it a challenge logistically to rebalance. Furthermore, it's easier to rationalize bad positions, when they comprise small portions.

I have begun taking a more defensive position today.I find being spread over so many investments, though, makes it a challenge logistically to rebalance. Furthermore, it's easier to rationalize bad positions, when they comprise small portions.
Betcha wish you waited for today to do that ;P
I am this close to picking up some DRYS
wow didn't even notice it, down 7% more on a big up day. I am sure there is a swing trade in there, but I don't see much support at these levels. Only thing it has going for it is being severrrrrrely oversold on RSI 2 (and moderately oversold on RSI 14)...that is sometimes enough.

I'm really taking a butt pounding today.... Treasuries off .7%, just today. Off almost 1.5% since I moved from S&P back to treasuries end of May. Of course, S&P is off 4.7% in that time. Man I wish my 401(k) offered a short S&P option to gamble on it going down. I knew it was dangerous going back to treasuries, but really, options in the 401(k) are just so limited. Foreign funds to lose money on feared dollar strength. Stock funds to lose money on quickly. Or treasuries to lose money on slowly.Treasuries offers me the slowest "lose money" option for now. Can't wait until we finish June so I can go back to stocks for July, before we get the next big down in August.I'm up just over 20% YoY. Rode stocks until early July last year making about 3% in the last half of July. Then switched to treasuries until February, making about 10% as rates on the 10 year fell from over 5% to under 3.5%. Hung out in a mix of ASIAPAC stocks, treasuries and money market for Feb and part of March and was about even. Switched back to S&P index fund couple days after the Bear bailout, and rode S&P to 1400 for another 8+% gain. I switched back to treasuries late May, knowing it was a suck option, but not wanting to be in foreign funds or stocks.Giving back 1.5% in the last couple weeks sucks.

Yoda, just in case you didn't see the other thread, I bought some more of PON near the opening today. I felt a little sick not selling yesterday. I would have made over 2k if I did. Now I own 4000 shares averaged out at 3.30 so I'm stuck now. Hopefully tomorrow is kind to me. If not, it's going to be a blood letting day.

Yoda, just in case you didn't see the other thread, I bought some more of PON near the opening today. I felt a little sick not selling yesterday. I would have made over 2k if I did. Now I own 4000 shares averaged out at 3.30 so I'm stuck now. Hopefully tomorrow is kind to me. If not, it's going to be a blood letting day.
It looks like it went up 130% in a week, so a 20% drop in there somewhere had to be expected. Hopefully it's a small pause. I would have recommended taking half the position off rather than buying more. Then you are playing with the houses money and could've rebought on the dip. Nothing goes straight up without pauses somewhere. But you still have a good profit right? Buy the dips, sell the rips.
It looks like it went up 130% in a week, so a 20% drop in there somewhere had to be expected. Hopefully it's a small pause. I would have recommended taking half the position off rather than buying more. Then you are playing with the houses money and could've rebought on the dip. Nothing goes straight up without pauses somewhere. But you still have a good profit right? Buy the dips, sell the rips.
not a good day so far. I will hold still. I think it will likely stay down today. hopefully go back up on monday.
not a good day so far. I will hold still. I think it will likely stay down today. hopefully go back up on monday.
well, popped back up a bit. now i'm in the black a little. Sometimes stock swings are just as bad as poker swings. Ship the 1.5 k swing in 1 hour.
Yoda or some other smart stock guyhttp://www.potashnorth.com/press.php?id=24I interpret that share warrant thing at $4 a share is a good thing as long as I own shares that are below that price? Probably not as simple as that though right?
No. A warrant is the right to purchase the shares at predetermined price in the future. So as I read that the shares are being offered at $2.50 + a $4.00 warrant, so the only time the warrant would be exercised it the price of the stock was $4.00 or greater.So if you buy the stock at $2.50 and in two years the stock it $3.75, the warrant will expire worthless.Its basically a sweetener for the offering.Hope that helps.