FCPHA: Big Table in the Back

Who's up for poker-related discussion?This is a hand I just played and I'd like some feedback.Middle stages of a 10 dollar tournament on bodog. I have 11k, avg stack is 6k, villain has 4.3k. I've been playing reasonably tight, although I stole the blinds last round. The blinds are 150/300 with a 25 ante.I'm in the HJ with KJo. Folded to me, I make it 1300 in an attempt to pick up the blinds. Villain with 4.3k calls on the button, blinds fold.3050 in the pot, 9-8-3 rainbow flop, villain has 3k behind.I bet 1k. If I bet any more than that I think I have to call if he moves in. I plan to fold the 1k if he moves in. He calls the 1k.Turn an offsuit jack, I open push his last 2k at 5k in the pot.Who likes or doesn't like the 1k flop continuation bet and why?
I don't have a problem with the continuation bet at all. Personally, I might have made it 1600-1800, if your intention was to force a fold. 1000 might be a little small if you're trying to represent 1010 or JJ. You give a hand like AQ or AJ a chance to catch up. But I see your point of the small bet is that it allows you to get away from the hand if he pushes. I would've played this hand similarly.
  • Replies 347.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nikki_N

• dolfan

• renaedawn

• jeff_536

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm about to drink wine and eat french fries. Gourmet.edit: Yep...I liked my own post.

I'm back in the land of cold weather, wind, and snow. I left CA on a day it reached 90 degrees and arrived in Anchorage to 12 degree weather, caught a plane to Unalaska where it was 34 with 2 inches o

Posted Images

Who's up for poker-related discussion?This is a hand I just played and I'd like some feedback.Middle stages of a 10 dollar tournament on bodog. I have 11k, avg stack is 6k, villain has 4.3k. I've been playing reasonably tight, although I stole the blinds last round. The blinds are 150/300 with a 25 ante.I'm in the HJ with KJo. Folded to me, I make it 1300 in an attempt to pick up the blinds. Villain with 4.3k calls on the button, blinds fold.3050 in the pot, 9-8-3 rainbow flop, villain has 3k behind.I bet 1k. If I bet any more than that I think I have to call if he moves in. I plan to fold the 1k if he moves in. He calls the 1k.Turn an offsuit jack, I open push his last 2k at 5k in the pot.Who likes or doesn't like the 1k flop continuation bet and why?
I like the continuation bet. You raised preflop, that flop isn't likely to hit anyone, and represents an overpair. His call is perhaps? and OESD? But then again, I only deal in play money, so what do I know?
I dunno...personally I like it. It's probably pretty close to exactly what I'd do. I think you need to bet out here with the continuation bet, and the amount is strong enough to make him lay down if he hasn't connected with the flop, relative to his stack, and cheap enough for you to get away from if necessary. A case could also be made to bet 3k, enough to put him all in...and put him to a real decision....but will hurt you more if he actually has a hand.
I like.I just pissed someone off at one of my tables when I limped preflop with 74suited on the button getting 7-1 odds. The sb then raises to 3xbb and everyone calls so getting odds again I call. Called a small flop bet and it was checked to me on the turn so I took the free card and hit my flush on river. The best part was the guy who got pissed was the SB who raised preflop and folded the flop.

I like the bet too... but what I'm most concerned with is adjusting bet sizes situationally to pots and stacks.I have 10k, he had 3k, avg is 6k, and there's 3k in the pot. By checking I'm screaming "overcards that won't call your push," and I don't want to do that with him in position.On the other hand, he called off 25% of his chips preflop on something. I couldn't see him calling off that many chips preflop with a hand that would hit that flop (unless he's got a set already or something). I didn't put him on an OESD. By frequency, I put him on [AT+ and KQ+], then [pocket pairs below the 9 that aren't sets], and then [overpairs]. I like the 1k bet because I have a very real chance of getting overcards or underpairs to fold. I lose an acceptable amount when I'm beat, and I make lots of better hands (A-anything) fold. So that's why I decided to bet 1k.He called the flop, turn was a jack, and I said sweet now I don't have any tough decisions!And pushed right into a slowplayed QQ, doubling him up.I think he made a serious error by not pushing over my bet on the flop, though... or re-raising preflop for that matter....either of which I would have folded for and saved myself 2k or more.But after deliberating about it I really liked how I played it.

I like the bet too... but what I'm most concerned with is adjusting bet sizes situationally to pots and stacks.I have 10k, he had 3k, avg is 6k, and there's 3k in the pot. By checking I'm screaming "overcards that won't call your push," and I don't want to do that with him in position.On the other hand, he called off 25% of his chips preflop on something. I couldn't see him calling off that many chips preflop with a hand that would hit that flop (unless he's got a set already or something). I didn't put him on an OESD. By frequency, I put him on [AT+ and KQ+], then [pocket pairs below the 9 that aren't sets], and then [overpairs]. I like the 1k bet because I have a very real chance of getting overcards or underpairs to fold. I lose an acceptable amount when I'm beat, and I make lots of better hands (A-anything) fold. So that's why I decided to bet 1k.He called the flop, turn was a jack, and I said sweet now I don't have any tough decisions!And pushed right into a slowplayed QQ, doubling him up.I think he made a serious error by not pushing over my bet on the flop, though... or re-raising preflop for that matter....either of which I would have folded for and saved myself 2k or more.But after deliberating about it I really liked how I played it.
Yeah that was a def slow play by him. If I'm him, I go all-in preflop over your 1300 to 4300.
Yeah that was a def slow play by him. If I'm him, I go all-in preflop over your 1300 to 4300.
But he was raising from a stealing position which impacts this entire hand. I like slow playing QQ as the villain because if I detect a steal I am hoping for a continuation bet on a safe flop where I can either come over the top or let you keep betting nothing. He made the decision he was either doubling up or going broke here. so he strung it along to the river where you are priced in with just about anything. He wants to double up, probably not just increase his stack size 10-20% by a over the top play preflop. It's a high risk/reward play that worked out in his favor.
He'll get plenty of fame when he rides Stampy up to the WPT final table.
That's gonna rock so hard!
after seeing you put down drinks in Vegas I'd hate to see what made you pass out.
2nd!
don't play 'em...maybe i should, just for a change of paceconsidering it.welcome to my world, bunnygirl...By the way, when you flying into Toronto for spicey's wedding? Seems no one else is arriving before Friday afternoon.
Oooh, on that note, I may be able to take off or leave early Friday. My boss was cool about it when I mentioned it AND that was after I said I was gonna need a week off for my surgery. So that means I may also make it by Friday afternoon/early evening instead of sometime after midnight on Friday when you are all already wasted.
I am arriving around 9:30 pm Thursday. Therefore, it is up to you to entertain me Thursday evening.
I'm sure he'll think of something....
Vegas in June.Ummm...does your definition of 'entertain' include naked and sweaty?
See, he's already brainstorming.
I rented it, but haven't watched it yet. I love that little girl in everything else i've seen her in.Another reason I definitely can't make it to the wedding, I'm moving like 2 weeks later and don't want to be totally broke. :D
Boo. Can't Lance get a fourth job and some vacation time? :club:
But he was raising from a stealing position which impacts this entire hand. I like slow playing QQ as the villain because if I detect a steal I am hoping for a continuation bet on a safe flop where I can either come over the top or let you keep betting nothing. He made the decision he was either doubling up or going broke here. so he strung it along to the river where you are priced in with just about anything. He wants to double up, probably not just increase his stack size 10-20% by a over the top play preflop. It's a high risk/reward play that worked out in his favor.
Fair point, preflop.I'm still mad at him for NOT coming over the top of the 1k on the flop though. We agree that is inexcusable?
I see your strategy here. But wouldn't you at least raise all-in after the flop bet of 1000 if you only have 3000 left?

So Dave bought a soundcard for Raist's computer that had a deal for 50 free music downloads from this site that sells music from independent artists. I got my music and promptly cancelled my subscription.Downloaded tonight were:Counting Crows (from a live album of some music fest with other artists)Michael Franti and SpearheadLisa LoebSinead O'ConnorBauhausColdplayBarenaked Ladiesand some covers of Rock the Casbah and God Save the Queen.After this I reloaded my shuffle.I should be asleep because I have to get up at 7 to get Conner and Raist off to school and then be there myself by 9. This may be the first job I've ever looked forward to working. Well, unless you count the nights at the bar when I knew Dave was going to be there. Okay, off to beddy bye for me.Kisses.sidenote: Allie is the Queen of Poker

Stephen, There is a pic of us in the "makeup" thread. I was using it to illustrate my point that I look better in a bit of makeup, as do most women. Not that lack of makeup makes a girl ugly (well, you might disagree after seeing me all makeup free on Normy's boat all weekend). Anyway, you look cute, but ragged, same as me.Nik

sidenote: Allie is the Queen of Poker
I heart you. :club: I was just involved in a hand on Stars........88 vs 99 vs QQ vs KK8 and 9 hit the boardI had the QQCOLD DECK!!!If that ain't rigged, I don't know what is!
Stephen, There is a pic of us in the "makeup" thread. I was using it to illustrate my point that I look better in a bit of makeup, as do most women. Not that lack of makeup makes a girl ugly (well, you might disagree after seeing me all makeup free on Normy's boat all weekend). Anyway, you look cute, but ragged, same as me.Nik
That was the day after a woodford reserve bender and then sleeping on the boat in the rain, haha. We're allowed to look a little ragged!
I'm sure he'll think of something....See, he's already brainstorming.Boo. Can't Lance get a fourth job and some vacation time? :club:
LOL, I dont think so! He's getting 40 hours next week at AZ charlies, not bad for being 'part time'! I was casually looking for a babysitting job, something I can do at home with Katie and he got into his head that I could find a $10+ 40 hours a week babysitting gig, but I dont think thats gonna happen. I am not certified, I dont have my sheriff's card, etc etc, plus it would majorly cut into my slacking time. :D, but I did email 2 people looking for full time providers and havent heard anything back yet.
So Dave bought a soundcard for Raist's computer that had a deal for 50 free music downloads from this site that sells music from independent artists. I got my music and promptly cancelled my subscription.Downloaded tonight were:Counting Crows (from a live album of some music fest with other artists)Michael Franti and SpearheadLisa LoebSinead O'ConnorBauhausColdplayBarenaked Ladiesand some covers of Rock the Casbah and God Save the Queen.After this I reloaded my shuffle.I should be asleep because I have to get up at 7 to get Conner and Raist off to school and then be there myself by 9. This may be the first job I've ever looked forward to working. Well, unless you count the nights at the bar when I knew Dave was going to be there. Okay, off to beddy bye for me.Kisses.sidenote: Allie is the Queen of Poker
Cool..A fav song of mine is Jealous by Sinead O'ConnorGoodnight to you.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!What a horrible picture of me!! I'm blinking and I look like a hung-over Forrest freaking Gump!hahahahahahahahaIn other news, I just won first place for my $1 rebuy tournament, good for for $320! I rule.And now I can't keep my eyes open any more. Night everybody
LOL, I dont think so! He's getting 40 hours next week at AZ charlies, not bad for being 'part time'! I was casually looking for a babysitting job, something I can do at home with Katie and he got into his head that I could find a $10+ 40 hours a week babysitting gig, but I dont think thats gonna happen. I am not certified, I dont have my sheriff's card, etc etc, plus it would majorly cut into my slacking time. :club:, but I did email 2 people looking for full time providers and havent heard anything back yet. Cool..A fav song of mine is Jealous by Sinead O'ConnorGoodnight to you.
It may sound strange coming from a girl who works with kids all day, but I would never babysit for a living. Blah. If you have the patience for it, you are a saint.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!What a horrible picture of me!! I'm blinking and I look like a hung-over Forrest freaking Gump!hahahahahahahahaIn other news, I just won first place for my $1 rebuy tournament, good for for $320! I rule.And now I can't keep my eyes open any more. Night everybody
Maybe we both need a little makeup! Heehee.
Where are Sharon and Chris and Scott? I take a couple weeks off and my morning crew disappears!Stop. Showertime!
morningI switched my hours to 8:30