official 2006 world cup thread:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

everybody is overestimating Italy in the US group. This is probably the least talented team the Italians have fielded in 20 years. The Czech team is the real one to worry about, Nedved is a god. I see the US beating Italy and making it out of the group stage with the Czech team. where they go from there will depend on the draw

US isn't that good. Just like the last World Cup.
actually, USA's 2002 team was pretty strong. they made it to the quarter finals. so get your facts straight because you are looking like a complete foolteneight GO MEXICO!33115819.jpg
US isn't that good. Just like the last World Cup.
actually, USA's 2002 team was pretty strong. they made it to the quarter finals. so get your facts straight because you are looking like a complete foolteneight GO MEXICO!33115819.jpg
uhhhhh....that was the point.......
right...stick to college football, please.
dude, seriously, it was a sarcastic statmenent that was showing that people shouldn't just rule out the US so quickly. I watched all the '02 US World Cup games....they beat Portugal...one of the goals was a cross from the right side of the pitch that bounced off a Portugal player's head and took a funny deflection into the goal. I think the final score of that game was 3-0. Then, they played South Korea to a draw, and played the last team to a draw, can't remember that team, I wanna say Finland...but is that right??? Then, in the round fo 16 they beat Mexico, and then in the quarterfinals, they lost (1-0)? to Germany. I watched it. It was CLEARLY a sarcastic statment.EDIT:I messed up some of this b/c I was going off of memory.....I guess it has been 3 and a half years...we beat Portugal 3-2, not 3-0and we lost our last group game to Poland, not a draw against Finland..oops. I guess this gives hope to a lot of you others...even the best of us forget things every now and then. haha

thanks for clearing it up then. anyways, i really hope they beat Czech in their first game because Italy is always a tough team to play against. I just hope they advance to the second round one way or another. Can't wait for June 9th 2006teneight

btw, i will be there. if any fcpers want to hook up and party they can pm me.
Im 85% sure that Im going. If so, Ill be staying in frankfurt and going to all of the mexico games. I guess we can start a thread a few weeks before the WC to see how many people are going.

My predictionsgroup A 2. Costa Rica 4. Ecuador group B 2. Paraguay 3. Trinidad & Tobago group c 2. Ivory Coast 3. Serbia & Montenegro group D 2. Iran 3. Angola group E 2. Ghana 3. United States group F 3. Australia 4. Japan group G 3. South Korea 4. Togo group H 3. Tunisia 4. Saudi ArabiaGO TOGO!!!!No seriously...would this not make the best playoffs ever. I get a little wet when I think about Iran playing Ghana.

I think people underestimate how poorly Italy's played in recent World Cup events, that being said, like KDawg said, Lippi does have them playing some great soccer right now.I am highly disappointed in the Danes not making it, but I digress.I think the US can move on if they manage to just not lose. If they can go 1-0-2 they'll go on to the next round, but I do think they're capable of beating Italy, to go 2-0-1, or 2-1-0.I really like the idea of a World Cup Fantasy Pool.Here's my picks.Group A (What A Jopke)GermanyPolandGroup BEnglandSwedenGroup C (Group of Death, Geezus)ArgentinaThe DutchGroup DMexicoIranGroup ECzech'sUSAGroup FBrazilCroatiaGroup GFranceSouth KoreaGroup HSpainUkraine

I think people underestimate how poorly Italy's played in recent World Cup events, that being said, like KDawg said, Lippi does have them playing some great soccer right now.I am highly disappointed in the Danes not making it, but I digress.I think the US can move on if they manage to just not lose. If they can go 1-0-2 they'll go on to the next round, but I do think they're capable of beating Italy, to go 2-0-1, or 2-1-0.I really like the idea of a World Cup Fantasy Pool.Here's my picks.Group A (What A Jopke)GermanyPolandGroup BEnglandSwedenGroup C (Group of Death, Geezus)ArgentinaThe DutchGroup DMexicoIranGroup ECzech'sUSAGroup FBrazilCroatiaGroup GFranceSouth KoreaGroup HSpainUkraine
What, no Togo?
everybody is overestimating Italy in the US group. This is probably the least talented team the Italians have fielded in 20 years. The Czech team is the real one to worry about, Nedved is a god. I see the US beating Italy and making it out of the group stage with the Czech team. where they go from there will depend on the draw
its the other way around to be honest. Nedved only came out of retirement to get the czech republic qualified, I am pretty sure that he will re-retire from international play by the time the WC happensThis is a very talented Italy team that Lippi has working together as a unit. Nesta and Cannavaro are probably one of the best central defensive tandems and Luci Toni has come out of nowhere in SerieA the past couple of seasons
prtysux...where are you from? what nationality are you? just curiousteneight
I was born in Mexico City, I lived there about 7 years of my life....I still usually spend about 3-4 months of every year there. My whole family lives there, except for my mom.
Yeah, US is screwed. There is no way they will get out of the 1st round...their group is too tough for them, US isn't that good. Just like the last World Cup.
You mean, like last World Cup when they beat a heavily favored Portugal team, had to face the home team, South Korea, and got dicked by a couple of calls in the Poland game? Your right, they weren't that good in 2002.And they're better this year.In an easier group.
Yeah, US is screwed. There is no way they will get out of the 1st round...their group is too tough for them, US isn't that good. Just like the last World Cup.
You mean, like last World Cup when they beat a heavily favored Portugal team, had to face the home team, South Korea, and got dicked by a couple of calls in the Poland game? Your right, they weren't that good in 2002.And they're better this year.In an easier group.
uhhhh....please read the entire thread......you'll see that...you are an idiot.
uhhhh....please read the thread and realize you have no idea what you're talking about.First of all, the last World Cup, they weren't that good in(according to yourself), it was the best World Cup performance they've ever had.

I love Group B.England and Sweden will make it through again and we will win the group, just like we did in '02.Probably with a draw in the last match versus England.Then we'll beat Poland in the last sixteen and eventually we will be World Champions.My Predictions:Group A:Germany PolandGroup B:SwedenEnglandGroup C:NetherlandsSerbia and MontenegroGroup D:PortugalMexicoGroup E:ItalyChech Rep.Group F:BrazilJapanGroup G:FranceSouth KoreaGroup H:UkraineTunisia

The US team has a decent chance of making it out of thier group. It's not the best draw they could have gotten, but far from the worst either. We have a more talented team than we did 4 years ago. I like the US to make it back to the QF again.

I love Group B.England and Sweden will make it through again and we will win the group, just like we did in '02.Probably with a draw in the last match versus England.Then we'll beat Poland in the last sixteen and eventually we will be World Champions.My Predictions:Group A:Germany  PolandGroup B:SwedenEnglandGroup C:NetherlandsSerbia and MontenegroGroup D:PortugalMexicoGroup E:ItalyChech Rep.Group F:BrazilJapanGroup G:FranceSouth KoreaGroup H:UkraineTunisia
You are dreaming my Swedish friend. Your squad isn't up to much, if I remember correctly H.Larsson has now retired from international football. You will be facing:Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, David Beckham etc.You're going to get crushed.
uhhhh....please read the thread and realize you have no idea what you're talking about.First of all, the last World Cup, they weren't that good in(according to yourself), it was the best World Cup performance they've ever had.
oh my god, when I said they weren't that good, it was a sarcastic statement b/c everyone earlier was saying they have no chance to get out of their group...and I said "yeah, just like last time" as a sarcastic remark. Seriously, go back and READ the thread and you will see that I DO know whtat I am talking about and that you are sadly mistaken....I know they had a great World Cup last time, made it to the quarterfinals, lost to German, beat Mexico before that, lost to Poland before that, tied S. Korea before that, beat Portugal in a stunner before that .....I know what I'm talking about, if you are going to try and insult me, you should probably read the entire thread so you can have some clue of what you are talking about.....teneight already tried to call me out on it, and I proved to him that he was mistaken, now you are making yourself look like a complete idiot by making that exact same mistake.....
oh my god, when I said they weren't that good, it was a sarcastic statement b/c everyone earlier was saying they have no chance to get out of their group...and I said "yeah, just like last time" as a sarcastic remark. Seriously, go back and READ the thread and you will see that I DO know whtat I am talking about and that you are sadly mistaken....I know they had a great World Cup last time, made it to the quarterfinals, lost to German, beat Mexico before that, lost to Poland before that, tied S. Korea before that, beat Portugal in a stunner before that .....I know what I'm talking about, if you are going to try and insult me, you should probably read the entire thread so you can have some clue of what you are talking about.....teneight already tried to call me out on it, and I proved to him that he was mistaken, now you are making yourself look like a complete idiot by making that exact same mistake.....
Actually, you're right. I did miss that reply.Not too proud to admit when I'm wrong and look like a jackass. Heh. :oops:
Actually, you're right. I did miss that reply.Not too proud to admit when I'm wrong and look like a jackass. Heh. :oops:
It is okay....don't worry about it, I will only hold it over your head for six more weeks, and then I'll drop it. J/K.