hard hand to get away from..dont think its possible?

Have 10 J in mid position.....guy after the blinds call I call....we are playing 2-5 NL and I ahve $400 in front of me.Small blind raises to 35....guy after blinds calls I call.  Flop comes Q 10 9. Small blind checks, guy after blinds bets 30....I call.  small blind calls. Turn comes a 10.  Small blind checks...guy after blinds bets 40 ....i think...i just call worrying what small blind has.  Small blind pushes all in for 250..other guy folds.....im sitting on open ended straight with trips....WOW talk about impossible to fold.So Of course I call.....small blind shows KJ.  Hoping he had AQ, AA or KK.  So river comes blank.Thinking back on this...I think I made the right call.....Any 10,Q,9,J,K would of helped me....hard hand to get away from right? Dont think i could play it any different....
Fairly easy fold if you're playing with at all competent players. You're basically drawing dead vs any boat and in trouble vs a straight. What other hands is the small blind check raising for 250 with here.
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Have 10 J in mid position.....guy after the blinds call I call....we are playing 2-5 NL and I ahve $400 in front of me.Small blind raises to 35....guy after blinds calls I call.  Flop comes Q 10 9. Small blind checks, guy after blinds bets 30....I call.  small blind calls. Turn comes a 10.  Small blind checks...guy after blinds bets 40 ....i think...i just call worrying what small blind has.  Small blind pushes all in for 250..other guy folds.....im sitting on open ended straight with trips....WOW talk about impossible to fold.So Of course I call.....small blind shows KJ.  Hoping he had AQ, AA or KK.  So river comes blank.Thinking back on this...I think I made the right call.....Any 10,Q,9,J,K would of helped me....hard hand to get away from right? Dont think i could play it any different....
raised by the SB 7xBB...what did you think he raised with knowing he was out of position for the rest of the hand...surely you had him on a least 2 over cards or a high pair...why call? either re-raise to isolate him or take the pot right there if you are going to play the hand at all...me, I fold it there and wait for a better hand in a better situation
Here comes the most intelligent response to your question:Stop playing poker.  You are 16 years old.  Wait your turn... you won't regret it.  Get a girlfriend and waste your money on her.  At least you'll get something in return.Oh, and finish high school.
Bud your a joke do me a favor and just not respond to my posts....for 1) dont talk to me like im a kid...im an adult..im 24 so whatever this 16 year old fantasy you got of me, doesnt exist....3)get a girlfriend? now your talking personal like ur on my jock strap...stop staulkin and give it up...i got a girlfriend. 4) i probably make 10times as much as you do in "real" life. oh now i get it...you were the kid in high school everyone pushed into the lockers.
lmao.What I'm wondering is...do you drive a Civic or a Jetta? I can't pinpoint it but I'm sure it has to be one of the two. It could be a 93' 3-seris. Is it an old 325i?
Budyour a joke do me a favor and just not respond to my posts....for 1) dont talk to me like im a kid...im an adult..im 24 so whatever this 16 year old fantasy you got of me, doesnt exist....3)get a girlfriend? now your talking personal like ur on my jock strap...stop staulkin and give it up...i got a girlfriend. 4) i probably make 10times as much as you do in "real" life. oh now i get it...you were the kid in high school everyone pushed into the lockers.
Bud if your sitting at a 2-5 table with 400$ then you dont make 10x more than the pizza hut delivery guy on this forum. Maybe your just playing way below your bankroll for good times. That must be it. Im guesiing you made a couple thousand on the internet and didnt feel like going out and getting a real job so you deemed yourself a pro. problem is your not a very good poker player. First off you say it is bad to fol 10 j toa 7x big blind raise.. Wow.. thats horrible. then you say it is impossible to fold the hand to the all in. Just like everyone else said you are a calling station. you are the guy at the table calling off all your chips with tptk on a four flush board. i love guys like you at my 2-5 table. If you ever have winning sessions let me know where you play as i would definitly be willing to make a trip for that kind of easy money

No flames here.Just wanted to let you know that you do, indeed, have to fold preflop. I don't care if they're suited, staring up and talking to you, or you have some vision that the flop is going to be J-J-J...you absolutely must fold J-10 from MP when there is a limper and a raise of 7x the BB. Every single time, especially at a 2-5 NL cash game. There are much better spots. Much, much, much better spots.That is all. Everyone has said that already, but there it is. You called, and a hand that absolutely dominated you preflop won. That's the way it will go most of the time.

No flames here.Just wanted to let you know that you do, indeed, have to fold preflop. I don't care if they're suited, staring up and talking to you, or you have some vision that the flop is going to be J-J-J...you absolutely must fold J-10 from MP when there is a limper and a raise of 7x the BB. Every single time, especially at a 2-5 NL cash game. There are much better spots. Much, much, much better spots.That is all. Everyone has said that already, but there it is. You called, and a hand that absolutely dominated you preflop won. That's the way it will go most of the time.
But Tritz's software never lies!!!

I'm just going to throw my two cents in here:Everytime someone posts a strategy question (in the wrong forum, I might add) where they make a questionable call pre-flop, there are 3-4 responses saying "I fold preflop". That's NEVER the bulk of the issue (well, it might be in the big picture, but it's not what the OP is asking about). As Harrington says, regardless of whatever bad calls you make, each decision on each street requires an analysis, you can't change the bad calls you make. So the only worthwhile responses were those who analyzed the odds, range of hands, etc., post-flop. The fact that this thread made it to two pages is ludicrous. And to the poster who decided that BR size is directly related to outside income: that's just plain illogical.

So Of course I call.....small blind shows KJ. Hoping he had AQ, AA or KK. So river comes blank.Thinking back on this...I think I made the right call.....Any 10,Q,9,J,K would of helped me....hard hand to get away from right? Dont think i could play it any different....
This righ here is what is wrong with your game. Hoping you have someone beat is not getting a read on them. And I like the "So Of course I call....". Why would your call be so automatic. You have the 9th nuts at this point. Also, the only "out" you have that makes you the nuts is the ten. If I were you, I would rethink playing poker. You are thinking like a donkey. Dont play this way. I bet you win alot sometimes, but lose most of the time and think you get unlucky. Just stop playing poker or get better.
I fold preflop, but that's just me.
you will never get anywhere just playing AA KK QQ AK all the time...I persoanlly like J 10 a lot i dont know how you could fold that preflop.
All I have to say is. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.
too funny. i was thinking, "aren't you the guy reloading $18 at a time on pokerroom on the $.25 tables?"
hey......that's me :club:
I'm just going to throw my two cents in here:Everytime someone posts a strategy question (in the wrong forum, I might add) where they make a questionable call pre-flop, there are 3-4 responses saying "I fold preflop". That's NEVER the bulk of the issue (well, it might be in the big picture, but it's not what the OP is asking about). As Harrington says, regardless of whatever bad calls you make, each decision on each street requires an analysis, you can't change the bad calls you make. So the only worthwhile responses were those who analyzed the odds, range of hands, etc., post-flop. The fact that this thread made it to two pages is ludicrous. And to the poster who decided that BR size is directly related to outside income: that's just plain illogical.
i agree with this point.BUT, it's still important that the OP knows that JTo is unplayable in middle position to a 7xbb raise.
i agree with this point.BUT, it's still important that the OP knows that JTo is unplayable in middle position to a 7xbb raise.
I agree completely. But what happens is the first five posts all say this without addressing anything else, then people starting calling the OP a moron because he calls with JTo to a 7x raise, then everyone is yelling at everyone else, people don't even know who's insulting who, and we have a two page thread where 3 people address the actual issue. It's the problem inherent in these boards.
I agree completely. But what happens is the first five posts all say this without addressing anything else, then people starting calling the OP a moron because he calls with JTo to a 7x raise, then everyone is yelling at everyone else, people don't even know who's insulting who, and we have a two page thread where 3 people address the actual issue. It's the problem inherent in these boards.
He asked if it was possible to get away from the hand and I said "yes, I fold it preflop." What else is there to address? That is how I get rid of the hand, he then goes on a tyraid claming I'll never get anywhere only playing AA, KK, QQ, AK.

Come on, you're not stupid (I dont think, I often find that I give people the benefit of the doubt too often). His question "can I get away from this hand" had everything to do with him having trips and an open end straight draw and NOTHING to do with his preflop call. You know that. If you don't your reading comprehension skills are lacking. See my previous comment about re-analyzing your hand at each stage of the game before you come back saying "but that IS how you get away from the hand." I can't justify his tirade, I agree with you on that one.

Come on, you're not stupid (I dont think, I often find that I give people the benefit of the doubt too often). His question "can I get away from this hand" had everything to do with him having trips and an open end straight draw and NOTHING to do with his preflop call. You know that. If you don't your reading comprehension skills are lacking. See my previous comment about re-analyzing your hand at each stage of the game before you come back saying "but that IS how you get away from the hand." I can't justify his tirade, I agree with you on that one.
Yes, I knew he was talking about having trips but I felt like commenting on what I thought was the most important part of the hand.

Yep, and that's my point. Others that crafted a thoughtful response mentioned what you did, coupled with a helpful analysis of where he stood in the hand at the point he is concerned with. Naturally this analysis comes back to the choice of starting hand. My annoyance is with the 4-5 thoughtless "I fold this pre-flop" posts that inevitably follow one of these posts, and add nothing to the discourse. In fact, analyzing the situation that the OP presented will not only help him with his actual question, it is WAY more valuable in teaching him why making this call was such a bad move then a bunch of wise-ass comments.

Yep, and that's my point.  Others that crafted a thoughtful response mentioned what you did, coupled with a helpful analysis of where he stood in the hand at the point he is concerned with.  Naturally this analysis comes back to the choice of starting hand.  My annoyance is with the 4-5 thoughtless "I fold this pre-flop" posts that inevitably follow one of these posts, and add nothing to the discourse.  In fact, analyzing the situation that the OP presented will not only help him with his actual question, it is WAY more valuable in teaching him why making this call was such a bad move then a bunch of wise-ass comments.
Lol, I don't know what else to say about his preflop call. J-10 is obviously a bad call preflop after a 7xBB raise. What more could I have done besides say "You're in bad position" which he probably knows or list the number of hands j-10 is dead to?
J-10 is obviously a bad call preflop after a 7xBB raise.  
I know that. You know that. Most here know that. But the people who you decide to enlighten by saying "I fold preflop" too, DON'T know that. And how else do you respond? Like this:"DEFINATELY not impossible to foldwhat hands are you behind right now?qq, 99, q10, 10-9, a-10, k-10, k-j, j-8a c/r after leading the flop is EXTREMELY strong. you could easily be drawing dead or close to dead.what hands do you think he has that he would play this way?aq= no, not only would he have led out more on the flop (since his hand is good, but still vulnerable to many draws), but he would not have c/r on the turn but rather lead out again or c/caa= same as aqkk= same as aqthe only possible hand i can see you beating is a bad 10 or a complete bluff. this is a tempting hand to play, but in the end, you're sitll putting in a lot of chips on a draw (and getting no odds to hit either)."That's a higher level of discourse than you, and most on this forum unfortunately, engage in. I was just pointing out that this place would be a lot better without the gratuitous, thoughtless posts that people like you contribute. And that's a simple fact, not a flame.