gus hansen is the king,

Far and Away most dominating performance in the presence of all of those great players, and NO slow playin does not work, ask doyle, and chipU can say he was lucky, but he flat out played better, and was the best, ya he caught cards when he needed to, but catchin cards on 2 or 3 hands to win 2 or 3 pots, doesnt win any tableso let this be said, i love daniel and he is the best, but i wonder if he could do what gus did todayThe Canuck, Matt

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

he wins more pots when he is dominated than anyone i've ever seen but his style makes people push all in against him with crap when he's got acesdude is fearless and you know every one of those guys is scratching their heads clueless as to how to beat him. Barry Greenstein as a 2 to 1 fave: guess i'm the underdog

Tournament poker is all about gettin all in with the best of it and only in very few situations did gus have the best of it, ya he outplayed doyle in that one hand but calling with q10 and j10 is just recklass, any novice poker player would fold j10 in that spot and the fact he called just shows he isnt there necessarily to play poker but to GAMBLE. GUS is far and away the ballsiest player today but not even close to the best. If you look at the way johnny played, he was unbelievable, he with one exception had the best of it when he was all in except for the hand against doyle which he correctly put him on a flush draw and moved in, problem being doyle paired his flush draw. Johnny played far better than gus in the final just fell claim like so many do, to gus' luck.

Did I hear it right, the entry to the tournament was $400,000 to win $1 million ??? was there any other payouts for other places? they never really said ( at least I never heard anything )Fun to watch though, Gus took everyone of em out! BigSlick

yes he knocked out the other 7 players, but i think he might have been the favorite against only TWO of them when they were all in. If you take the luck out the game and go by only skill he would have lost lst pot to greenstein and many others when he was all in with the worst of it, he obviously is a great player but luck had alot to do with it today. Its no wonder he is considered the FISH in the big game.

yes he knocked out the other 7 players, but i think he might have been the favorite against only TWO of them when they were all in.  If you take the luck out the game and go by only skill he would have lost lst pot to greenstein and many others when he was all in with the worst of it, he obviously is a great player but luck had alot to do with it today.  Its no wonder he is considered the FISH in the big game.
booooooooo.Good players give Gus alot of respect.
yes he knocked out the other 7 players, but i think he might have been the favorite against only TWO of them when they were all in.  If you take the luck out the game and go by only skill he would have lost lst pot to greenstein and many others when he was all in with the worst of it, he obviously is a great player but luck had alot to do with it today.  Its no wonder he is considered the FISH in the big game.
booooooooo.Good players give Gus alot of respect.
You dont win two WPT titles by being a fish, there is a method to his madness, one that alot of people just dont get i guess.

booooooooo. Good players give Gus alot of respect. Did you see the exit interviews the players gave in response to gus, if they gave him soo much respect why u think they come over top of him with a5, a9, etc. that is clearly not respect. Coming from someone who plays .50/1 wrto, i understand why you agree with his calling all in reraises with j10 off and q10 off.

influenced by tv?????, nobody even knew who gus hansen played poker till the wpt, if you look at it, ya his style will win tournaments but if you follow poker you would realize he hasnt made a final table IN A YEAR in a major tournament, including the whole wsop. A whole year of not making a final table shows he will not be a consistently year in and year out a top pro like a ivey, negreanu, greenstein, etc. when it comes to tournaments

I was playing tournament on fulltilt on friday and lederer was at my table, it was a bounty tourny that only cost 50$ to enter and someone started talking about gus and he said when it comes to no limit, gus isnt even in the top 30 in his book, he named many lesser known pro's that he put ahead of gus so if you guys know something that lederer doesnt and assuming he has a little more lst hand knowledge on the subject ill stick with howard.

Lederer, is the tightest player in poker, he is garbage, im sorry, but i dont take his opinion to seriously, the only tournaments he can win are ones that have 200 or less entrants, as shown by the 1st WPT season, not even close to any final tables since, but Gus Hansen, I think, 4 final tables, 3 wins, and a 3rd; and that call versus antonio at the bad boys of poker, who else would make that call? stu unger maybedoes howard play in the big game? i mean the 4000-8000 mixed game, and he doesnt, because he's too tight he cannot play with antes, and the limits, The last i checked, WPT main events were No Limit Tournaments, so I think I can put him in the top 30 no limit playersps, everyone has off years, daniel never made a final table in the 1st season, hellmuth has made one, doyle has made 2, chip reese 1, etc.... Gus 3 wins, the most Matt

I myself am no lederer fan, i think he as well plays too tight but to say he is garbage makes your own thought process in fact GARBAGE. Far to many poker players think that the wolrd of poker revolves around the wpt, which is the furthest thing from the truth. Gus Hansen HAS ZERO Wsop bracelets, coincidence???? and i honestly dont think he even cashed once at last years series which is tough to do with as good as you think he is. howard cashed a high of 7 times at last years series and overrall as 29 cashes and 2 bracelets. as far as cash games, if you wanted to make money would you rather play 4/8 with the likes of ivey, brunson, reese, etc. or 1500/3000 with the likes of david grey, david oppenheim, etc or lk/2k with even lesser oppenents. Once again ill go with howards take on GAME SELECTION WHICH IS A KEY TO WININNG IN POKER!!!! Read greensteins website where he puts gus' key weakness as TRYING to play in the big game against the best in the world while being clearly outclassed.

I think Gus did cash at the main event, Barry Greenstein says he's outclassed? how can he afford to play there then? so what if lederer had 7 cashes, i rather i one win (which is obivously a cash) and no other cashes, then 7 cashes and no wins; gus takes the risk that u need to take to win; I mean, has anyone seen the hands that Doyle Brunson won back-to-back world series titles with? No disrespect to doyle, but both times he was totally dominated! 2 pair to his one pair, and in one case he caught runner runner for the title, and the other one he caught a card on the turn as well, to give him the vicotry, so dont tell me he's outclassed, aka Barry Greenstein, Barry's made 2 final tables, and is a great cash game player from what i hear, but for him to make a comment like that makes him "classless"ps, yer right garbage was the wrong word for lederer he is a solid player, lately, ive seen him complaining alot about cards, today, and the WSOP last year, well if u play that tight, as mike sexton said, in the latest issue in cardplayer u might cash, but u will never win a big tournament, Mattcheck it out cardplayer.com current issue

A lot of you are not giving Gus enough credit, his plays involve A LOT of math, just read the new cardplayer article on their website, and as far as Howard Lederer is concerned, anyone who says he is garbage is absolutely insane and must not look at anything except what they see on T.V. His NLH game maybe too "tight" as you guys say, but he's a very analytical player, and if you look at any other game you'll see his name near the top of the leaderboard just about everytime b/c he is very far from "garbage"

Hello all... I have been lurking for a while and find this a wonderful place. I figure this is as good as any place to put in my first post.I watched this tourney today and agree that Gus got very lucky in a couple of spots. However, I think he is also brilliant because his loose, aggressive play makes it very difficult for anyone to put him on a hand.He played a lot of junk in his normal aggressive style, then hit a really good run. I mean, he got decent hands like 4 or 5 in a row. Obviously, the rest of the gang is sitting there thinking "there is no way he has anything...he has been raising every pot. Now it's my turn."...and then BOOM, he turns over AA.I have no idea about his play in the "Big game", but it seems as though his style works really well in NL holdem play. It was crazy watching him personally knock out every other player....crazy.PC

i read the card player article wed, but calling 400k more with q10 in a 100k pot and calling 600k more with j10 in a 100k pot with whatever equation you use are both HORRIBLE calls, if he used math as he says he would realize that with both of those hands there are pretty much ZERO hands that he will be a favorite over and MANY that he will be a big dog. a10,k10,kq,kj,qj,ak,aq,aj,aa,kk,qq,jj,1010, are all the hands he is DOMINATED BY any other hand that they could move all i with is still an underdog, for example.......99-22. I am not saying gus isnt a good player just that today he got very lucky and had many poor decisions paid off with outdraws. he wsop you are right he did cash in main event, like 60th or something when he called off all of his money with 56 of spades and was drawing dead.

ps the hand when he had aces and doyle had queens, DOYLE WOULD HAVE GONE BROKE AGAINST ANY PLAYER IN THAT SITUATION WITH A 10 6 2 FLOP. only difference is doyle tried to trap by limping but regardless of how he played the hand and whom it was against he was gonna go broke with that flop and queens.

first of all im not a big gus fan, but to say the guy is always lucky...come on...yes he seems to always catch alot of great cards at really good times..but for the most part gus is a really good player..his crazy stykle is why the pros come back over the top of him so much..gus knows that and thats why he makes the "loose" calls he does,...he figures with all the money in pot its worth it...he makes ppl play outside of their plan by raising and reraisng with marginal hands...so far so good for him...thats why he is not respected by other pros, because he wins races wiht marginal hands...call him lucky if you want, but most ppl call him the winner

Who cares if you get lucky? would you rather be lucky and win or play perfectly and be unlucky only to lose...i will take gus hansen in a tournament anyday because he wins...you can say what you want about his play but he's got the money

That tournament was the perfect example of Gus using his reputation to his advantage. At least two guys, (Doyle and Chip), said in their post-bust interview that they called/raised because they knew he would play anything, and, unfortunately for them, he had cards when they did. Combine his reputation with the fact that he was catching cards and that's a scary combination.

*SNIP*Once again ill go with howards take on GAME SELECTION WHICH IS A KEY TO WININNG IN POKER!!!! Read greensteins website where he puts gus' key weakness as TRYING to play in the big game against the best in the world while being clearly outclassed.
YOU read Greenstein's website. Gus gets higher marks than 60-75 percent of the people he talks about. As an all-around, not just NL tourneys.http://www.barrygreenstein.com/ghansen.htmCompare that to the various others he talks about on the left.Only a few people are given as obiously better than Gus. Perhaps Ivey, Negreanu, Reese, Brunson.His lowest rating is steam control - a 5. And take this in the context that he's been playing high end for 2-3 years tops. Give the man a break.