limping with pocket a's

I used to despise limping in with pocket A's becuse of letting too many people see the flop and getting beat that way but I think I have found the perfect spot for doing it and was wanting to see if this is what a lot of others do or do they like to limp early.Here is my idea:The best time to limp with A's is late in the tourney/sng you are playing in due to the fact that their are a lot of shortstacks left at the table. I usually do this when I am middle to top of the chipstack at my table due to the fact that late in tourneys or sngs it seems to be raise or all in and their aren't too many flops when the blinds are high. this is probably a pretty routine thing to do but it seems to work out well.

This is a strategy that can work but it depends on how observant your opponents are and how the table is playing. If you haven't been limping in EP the whole tournament and suddenly decide to limp late in the tourney, observant opponents will pick up on this. Also, if you limp and no one moves in and you allow the blinds to see the flop, are you going to be able to get away from your hand on a scary/coordinated board? If I were to make this play I would first check the stack of the blinds, if they had me covered or close to covered, I'd rather just raise upfront.

In multi-table tournaments... when it gets deep in the money... there's a palpable tension over cyberspace and everything super-tightens up, and gets waaaaay aggressive.Limping stands out more than raising does.Honestly... everyone in the world would be better off just raising pot with AA every single time. Just trust me on this. I felt like I INVENTED all the sneaky moves in poker when I first started, and after all my experience (for whatever that's worth) this is the conclusion I've come to.

there is definitely a time and place for limping AA. for the times you dont get a raise behind you and a few people go to the flop, you have to have the mind to fold them in certain scenarios. also if you are going to limp EP with AA you have to mix it up and limp with other hands every now and then also, or observant oponents will see that and not give you any action at all.

I often find that if you try to get too cute with pocket Aces you get cracked. In my own personal experience you can't go without raising A-A. Isolating against one opponent is ideal with A-A, but of course the ability to do so depends on seat position and how tight/loose the table is playing. Personally I dont like to go much past the flop without forcing my opponent to make a significant commitment. As murphy's law says anything that can go wrong will go wrong, so get your money while you can, espescially in tournaments. In a full game and larger MTT's there is a long way to go to win, if you limp and someone catches big on the flop you will be forced to make an all to difficult decision with someone who probably shouldnt be there in the first place. To win tournaments players are trying to trap and there is no easier hand to get trapped on than A-A. You don't have to commit all of your chips but I can't see limping in being the right play, ever.

you're right for the most part chad, but honestly sometimes it is correct to limp AA. often when i have a super aggressive table, i will limp EP with suited connectors, and with AA. when i have AA i will limp reraise. so they dont know what i am limping with up front. also if i think i can put a move on someone i will limp reraise with anything, then show down my bluff to get more action later, as you will likely have the person bluffed put a target on your forehead, and next time you do it with the nuts, you will get called by a marginal hand. anyways, when trying to get full value out of your hand, in certain situations it is quite acceptable to limp-raise with AA. i'm even guilty of limping AA on a rocky limit table, depending on the circumstances. the main thing when doing this is to trust your postflop ability, you are putting yourself in danger of going multiway with AA, and you WILL be forced to lay it down certain times, but i believe if you understand your tables correctly, you will be able to get the most value possible out of your AA when limping sometimes. JMHOcheers. ryan.

Limp with AA around the middle of a tourney, when you're trying to build a stack. I usually only do it in first position, and you have to be willing to give the hand up if nobody raises and a few players see a cheap flop with you. Best time to do it, say you have 4000 chips, blinds 100-200, limp in first position, if somebody raises to 600 or more, go all in. But really I think in most situations the best way to play AA is to put in a standard raise.

i like to limp with them at any time if i'm utg or in second position in a mtt. its a dream to see AA in first position of an rediculously aggressive tournament and you just call thinking to yourself "man these donkeys have no idea whats coming for them."

Late in a tourney, I'm generally raising every pot I get into, hoping to get blinds/antes. If you are raising a lot, like I think you should be, it might look a tad obvious limping in EP, It's almost screaming "I have AK at the worst".

Late in a tourney, I'm generally raising every pot I get into, hoping to get blinds/antes. If you are raising a lot, like I think you should be, it might look a tad obvious limping in EP, It's almost screaming "I have AK at the worst".
well i raise 90% of the pots i'm into late but when i limp, i'll limp with aces possibly and a small pocket pair and suited connectors just to keep them guessing. If you're raising a ton of pots and then limp then its obvious so if you're going to limp late in a tournament with AA then you're going to have to limp with a variety of hands.

I was just reading cardplayer.com, and Scott F. had this very question . . .****************Hi Scott, what advice would you give me on a pair of aces? Should I raise and force the others out or just limp in and hope to get others in. I have had bad luck limping in because others can get three of a kind on the flop, but there have been times when I raise and everybody else folds and it’s frustrating because aces don’t come by very often. What do you suggest I do, as you are a great champion poker player? Thanks a lot. – AdamAdam,Please remember that aces are one pair!! Now ask yourself, how often do you see one pair win? The fact is that one pair does win quite often, but when playing no-limit hold’em, sometimes it is not exactly cheap to get all the way to the river to find out if your one pair wins. Most of the time in no-limit, if you do get all the way to the river against an opponent who is also willing to put his stack in there, he will have one pair beat. I would have to advise you to always raise with pocket aces. Slow-playing is something that I rarely do. Raising is a tactic used to gather information. You will always be needing to get as much information as you can in order to make the best possible decisions. RAIZZZZ IT!!!!

Limp with AA around the middle of a tourney, when you're trying to build a stack.  I usually only do it in first position, and you have to be  willing to give the hand up if nobody raises and a few players see a cheap flop with you.    Best time to do it, say you have 4000 chips, blinds 100-200, limp in first position, if somebody raises to 600 or more, go all in.    But really I think in most situations the best way to play AA is to put in a standard raise.
1. Is that really Tim Wakefield?2. I agree with this, except I usually do it earlier in tournaments. When I play MTTs, I play small buy-ins, where there tends to be a lot of people who could care less about the buy-in and are raising and playing very loose-aggressive. If I'm confident I'll get raised, I'll limp then come over the top with a big reraise.
Limp with AA around the middle of a tourney, when you're trying to build a stack. I usually only do it in first position, and you have to be willing to give the hand up if nobody raises and a few players see a cheap flop with you. Best time to do it, say you have 4000 chips, blinds 100-200, limp in first position, if somebody raises to 600 or more, go all in. But really I think in most situations the best way to play AA is to put in a standard raise.
1. Is that really Tim Wakefield?2. I agree with this, except I usually do it earlier in tournaments. When I play MTTs, I play small buy-ins, where there tends to be a lot of people who could care less about the buy-in and are raising and playing very loose-aggressive. If I'm confident I'll get raised, I'll limp then come over the top with a big reraise.
I HIGHLY doubt its Tim but if it is....way to go buddy!! You're the heart of the sox. I'm sure you've heard this a billion times but you guys have no idea how happy you made Red Sox nation. Ok enough of this baseball stuff, lets get back to poker.