harrington making a strong run at bellagio.

pleaselisten to me, novice though i may be posting wise.... tell these guys who have to read books to be good to stop playing poker. they come on here  asking where are the leaks blah dee blah blah blah and you all tell them to read another book...sometimes.  i guess it comes down to how honest they are with themselves, but still, stop telling these guys to read a book so that they might become better mediocre players at poker, and start telling them to stop.  i know its in our best interest not to, but seriously, if a book helps you that much you are either ahhhhtistic, or bad at poker, in which case, give up.  i figured this was a sight for winning players, more-so than anyone else, and yet you guys keeping strollin alongside with these dudes, that since the logic of poker hasn't slapped them in the face, will never get it.  it sounds maybe simplistic, but if you don't make money in your first two months of playing, stop.  it doesn't matter how many books you read, how many books you tell them to read, they'll still be awful... so why keep plugging these books?  selFISHly? i dunno.  i think for many guys on the forum, judging by some of the ages, poker comes naturally.  as much as it is random it is a pattern-based game, and some people don't have it.  so stop telling them they do.  i don't even remember the original post. i wish i did. i woul feel a lot more relevant.  at any rate. stop perpetuating the myth.
i strongly disagree with this post, for instance lets take myself for example. i was fairly tight and aggressive not long after beginning to play. then i read one of lou kriegers holdem books in which i learned the odds against making the basic draws vs the odds the pot was offering. without that knowledge i would have always been lost on my draws in lhe.
pleaselisten to me, novice though i may be posting wise.... tell these guys who have to read books to be good to stop playing poker. they come on here  asking where are the leaks blah dee blah blah blah and you all tell them to read another book...sometimes.  i guess it comes down to how honest they are with themselves, but still, stop telling these guys to read a book so that they might become better mediocre players at poker, and start telling them to stop.  i know its in our best interest not to, but seriously, if a book helps you that much you are either ahhhhtistic, or bad at poker, in which case, give up.  i figured this was a sight for winning players, more-so than anyone else, and yet you guys keeping strollin alongside with these dudes, that since the logic of poker hasn't slapped them in the face, will never get it.  it sounds maybe simplistic, but if you don't make money in your first two months of playing, stop.  it doesn't matter how many books you read, how many books you tell them to read, they'll still be awful... so why keep plugging these books?  selFISHly? i dunno.  i think for many guys on the forum, judging by some of the ages, poker comes naturally.  as much as it is random it is a pattern-based game, and some people don't have it.  so stop telling them they do.  i don't even remember the original post. i wish i did. i woul feel a lot more relevant.  at any rate. stop perpetuating the myth.
i strongly disagree with this post, for instance lets take myself for example. i was fairly tight and aggressive not long after beginning to play. then i read one of lou kriegers holdem books in which i learned the odds against making the basic draws vs the odds the pot was offering. without that knowledge i would have always been lost on my draws in lhe.
YOU READ A BOOK ON POKER? YOU SUCK, QUIT PLAYING POKER AND GET OFF OF THIS SIGHT.
I think Dan Harrington is one of the greatest tournament player alive.  I also think that his book Harrington on Holdem is somewhat lost in the slew of poker books out their. It is one of the best books on tournament poker!
no, not one of the best, his books are the stone cold nuts when it comes to tourn poker. the best out there and by far.

It doesn't matter if you get help from books, from poker forums or from discussions with top players; all of it can help you with your game. There's no substitute for putting in the hours at the table, but studying the game can accelerate your learning curve.

It doesn't matter if you get help from books, from poker forums or from discussions with top players; all of it can help you with your game.  There's no substitute for putting in the hours at the table, but studying the game can accelerate your learning curve.
not only accelerate but enhance the depth of learning.
Unbelievably stupid.
Unbelievably stupid.
I disagree.I mean, I was amazing at poker from the first hand I played. DN made millions in his first cash game.Notcoke is right, if you're trying to "learn" the game in order to be a "better player" then please stop. Don't bother trying to learn from others and improve your game. Don't come on this open forum and talk about something that you enjoy doing with others who have the same passion.On a side note, people who don't have over 200 posts, don't bother. If common sense hasn't slapped these guys in the face yet, I doubt they will ever make a descent contribution to this site.
First - learn to use the Shift key. I'm embarrased for you that you write this way publicly.Second - this is bad advice. Books allow you to view the game from different perspectives, grasp concepts that may have in the past eluded you, and gain insight as to how the higher end players think. You may have a natural affinity for the game, or be completely self delusional that you are a good player, when you have so much untapped potential that books can give you.Or, you may be one of those people that simply cannot read books and gain information from them. Whatever your reason, keep it personal, and stop giving out this kind of crap advice.Dev
Unbelievably stupid.
I disagree.I mean, I was amazing at poker from the first hand I played. DN made millions in his first cash game.Notcoke is right, if you're trying to "learn" the game in order to be a "better player" then please stop. Don't bother trying to learn from others and improve your game. Don't come on this open forum and talk about something that you enjoy doing with others who have the same passion.On a side note, people who don't have over 200 posts, don't bother. If common sense hasn't slapped these guys in the face yet, I doubt they will ever make a descent contribution to this site.
well considering you dont believe in poker books, you should try a dictionary. they are awfully interesting.
Unbelievably stupid.
600 posts and I have never seen a reply to a word you say. I guess that's a FCP army of one there. HOO RAH!!
I think Dan Harrington is one of the greatest tournament player alive.  I also think that his book Harrington on Holdem is somewhat lost in the slew of poker books out their. It is one of the best books on tournament poker!
Had a good chuckle at this one. Guess the Amazon stats are lying ....# Amazon.com Sales Rank: #55 in Books(Publishers and authors: improve your sales) (HOH Vol. 1)# Amazon.com Sales Rank: #44 in Books(Publishers and authors: improve your sales)(HOH Vol. 2)Must be a bunch of my wife's book club friends picking them up for their monthly discussions.

Well thanks for double checking that for me. I'm not sure what your trying to do silicon but what I meant to say is when people talk about poker books it's usually super system, which is a good book but more of the casual poker players might not realize their is(in my opinion) a much better book on tournament. HOH. That's what I meant to say, although with you being quite ANAL maybe I should've checked some sales stats?

Truth be told I don't watch alot of televised poker, mainly read about it and play. When people speak of hellmuth they usually coincide with his outrageous personality netting him sponsorships, I figured as much with Matusow but  wasn't too clear if he had any sponsorships.  He made it to the final table at the WSOP this year didn't he? Didn't notice the fult tilt gear.
20050715_93_015.jpgthe white writing around the neck says full tilt.
well considering you dont believe in poker books, you should try a dictionary. they are awfully interesting.
Sorry I don't copy and paste from Word like you do to make sure the forum trolls don't call me out on *gasp* spelling errors.What will my future children think of me.If you type perfectly on an online forum, then good job to you. You put far more effort into a pointless task than I ever could.Been on hiatus since my FCPwork army pioneer days. Had to go back to school, but now I'm back in the workforce for another six months so you'll see more douchebags complain trivial problems while completely ignoring the message.And if you didn't pick up on the total and obvious sarcasm of my last post, then you have become over-dependant on teh [sw]. Go to a doctor, see what he can prescribe.
Sorry I don't copy and paste from Word like you do to make sure the forum trolls don't call me out on *gasp* spelling errors.What will my future children think of me.If you type perfectly on an online forum, then good job to you. You put far more effort into a pointless task than I ever could.Been on hiatus since my FCPwork army pioneer days. Had to go back to school, but now I'm back in the workforce for another six months so you'll see more douchebags complain trivial problems while completely ignoring the message.And if you didn't pick up on the total and obvious sarcasm of my last post, then you have become over-dependant on teh [sw]. Go to a doctor, see what he can prescribe.
your future children will think you are a moron.