rounders 2 script

I just read an advance copy of the Rounders 2 Script...Apparently, Mike buys in to the main event of the WSOP and finishes in 3996th place, then sits down with the rest of his 20,000 bankroll in a 300/600 game and goes broke. After that, he posts on RGP promising a 300 percent return if someone sends him 5 bucks on Poker Stars. He ends the movie with a quote that will most certainly become famous among poker players: "bankroll managment? That's for stupid ****ers that don't have the stones to sit with their whole roll."His ex-girlfriend graduates from law school and starts out at just under six figures, and Kanish is still a lame-ass grinding out the 30/60 game for a measley 3 grand a week. What a bunch of stupid working stiffs!Worm goes back to jail. To save money, the movie cuts to scenes from American History X for about 20 minutes. Edward Norton is quoted as saying, "there are only so many times I'll let them film me as I'm anally reamed in the shower."

Yeah, sorry dude...you probably have to have a grasp of one of two things in order to appreciate the point of the post.1.) Reality2.) Poker theoryBut I'll help you out. IT'S A STUPID MOVIE THAT GLORIFIES PEOPLE WHO MAKE STUPID DECISIONS AND THROW THEIR LIVES AWAY AND DIMINISHES THE ONES WHO ARE DISCIPLINED AND INTELLIGENT.I for one would go to the theater to see a movie that depicts Gretchen Mol's and John Turturro's characters as the heroes, and shows Mike as his real-life counterpart...the grovelling RGP poster who just needs 5 bucks, man.
Yeah, sorry dude...you probably have to have a grasp of one of two things in order to appreciate the point of the post.1.) Reality2.) Poker theoryBut I'll help you out. IT'S A STUPID MOVIE THAT GLORIFIES PEOPLE WHO MAKE STUPID DECISIONS AND THROW THEIR LIVES AWAY AND DIMINISHES THE ONES WHO ARE DISCIPLINED AND INTELLIGENT.I for one would go to the theater to see a movie that depicts Gretchen Mol's and John Turturro's characters as the heroes, and shows Mike as his real-life counterpart...the grovelling RGP poster who just needs 5 bucks, man.
Ty for the help.

eh u obviously dont know poker...many people take a shot at bigger games and go broke...not to rag on him but allinbluff can attest to the fact that it happens. Pros go broke all the time playing in big games..it happensjohn tuturos guy is shown to be a rock steady guy who does enough to get by. His character is shown as somebody with great potential who never reached it...who could sit bigger games but stays in the "safe" games..hes not shown as a hero but hes defiantly not a villian

eh u obviously dont know poker...many people take a shot at bigger games and go broke...not to rag on him but allinbluff can attest to the fact that it happens. Pros go broke all the time playing in big games..it happensjohn tuturos guy is shown to be a rock steady guy who does enough to get by. His character is shown as somebody with great potential who never reached it...who could sit bigger games but stays in the "safe" games..hes not shown as a hero but hes defiantly not a villian
Ok...Taking a "shot" at a bigger game, and placing your entire bankroll on the line are two different things.Also, I think you're just wrong about Kanish. But I don't fault you for having your own perspective. I'd just rather make six figures the easy way than go broke once a month "taking a shot".And your post pretty much highlights everything that is wrong with the movie. You can have the "stones" to take a shot at a bigger game, or you can be smart and make money without going broke.Mike McDermott has balls...Kanish has money.I guess it's up to you which one you'd rather have.
Also' date=' I think you're just wrong about Kanish. But I don't fault you for having your own perspective. I'd just rather make six figures the easy way than go broke once a month "taking a shot".And your post pretty much highlights everything that is wrong with the movie. You can have the "stones" to take a shot at a bigger game' date=' or you can be smart and make money without going broke.Mike McDermott has balls...Kanish has money.I guess it's up to you which one you'd rather have.[/quote'']I really don't see it that waythere are two types of people in the world- solid types who play it safe and live comfortable average lives - theres nothing wrong with that in fact in a way its desirable- people who take a shot at greatness - Mike may be fooling himself as to his ability but hes not in it for the money he's in it for the art - he wants to see if he can be great - taking that shot is risky and may not pan out well but if elvis had been knish he'd have remained a truck driver
Ok...Taking a "shot" at a bigger game, and placing your entire bankroll on the line are two different things.Also, I think you're just wrong about Kanish. But I don't fault you for having your own perspective. I'd just rather make six figures the easy way than go broke once a month "taking a shot".And your post pretty much highlights everything that is wrong with the movie. You can have the "stones" to take a shot at a bigger game, or you can be smart and make money without going broke.Mike McDermott has balls...Kanish has money.I guess it's up to you which one you'd rather have.
see what i took from the movie is that kanish had the br and the talent to play higher but he chose not to
The best part of this thread is that the name Knish is being spelled Kanish, because of Smashs sig.
The sad thing is that you're right.I guess I should've determined by the way he misspells every other word in the human language that possibly he would misspell "knish".It's just the only place I've ever seen the name in print.

Mike has talent, but he loses everything to poker. His promising career, his girlfriend, his best friend in Worm. He gets lucky, and beats Teddy. But instead of taking his winnings, and building a bankroll with his real talent, he flys to Vegas to spend 10,000 in playing the lottery against the best players in the world in the WSOP. Mike is a compulsive gambler. Being talented at poker, and being a compulsive gambler are hardly mutually exclusive. Mattusow and Ungar, off the top of my head. Pro's talents at poker often counterbalance the compulsive way they play the game. But when you risk your bank roll, like Mike did 3 times in the movie, then you're just gambling, you're not playing long term, which is what poker is all about. this "shot at greatness" stuff is just a delusion. Make no mistake, Mike is COMPULSIVE. Even if he got real lucky, and won the WSOP, what would that mean? Is Varnoki a greater player than Chip Reese? Moneymaker better than Ivey? I have to agree with Greenstein, and say true greatness is measured in long, sustained success at poker, and winning one tourniment isn't that. If Mike really was a great player, he'd slowly but surely grind his way up the ranks, and be playing in the big game in 5-10 years. But he's not a great player, he's a talented player with a sickness that will ultimately undermine his talent.

There are a lot of people in this thread saying stuff along similiar lines but I'll use this quote.

there are two types of people in the world- solid types who play it safe and live comfortable average lives - theres nothing wrong with that in fact in a way its desirable- people who take a shot at greatness - Mike may be fooling himself as to his ability but hes not in it for the money he's in it for the art - he wants to see if he can be great -
I think that 80-90% of poker players who rely on poker for the majority of their income fall into the 1st catagory. I think 98% of people who would catagorize themselves as the latter are the cumulative reasons I can pay for college, a car, living expenses, etc. with money left over only working 20 hours a week. There were these 2 terrible players sitting at a 10/20 table I was at the other day talking about this subject, and they both took shots at 100/200 etc. It was so ironic how absolutely horrible they were, but I think they both thought they were "pros". I know not all people who dont use 100% proper br management are fish, but I think the vast vast vast majority are not as good as the 2p2 grinders (I dont want people to think that I'm that good by this post. Although I implied it, I am not. I am new, and still learning many things every day).I think there is a large population of floaters who cycle through building rolls at lower limits and busting at higher ones. I think 99% of these players think they are much better then they are (another worthless and unbackable statistic). They taint the whole dichotomy.
I think there is a large population of floaters who cycle through building rolls at lower limits and busting at higher ones. I think 99% of these players think they are much better then they are (another worthless and unbackable statistic). They taint the whole dichotomy.
Barry Greenstien calls them "wannabes" in his book. One of the best poker books ever, btw. Greenstien is the man.

"took a shot" it would be to sit down at like a 25-50 or 50-100 NL game that was super soft, and that he had a big edge in. He'd be gambling, but he'd be gambling with the best of it. If he lost the 10 g's, he could go back to grinding for a couple months, before taking another shot. blowing a third of your bankroll on the biggest, toughest tourniment in the world is degenerate gambling. Risking your life needlessly to prove yourself that better than another player is DEGENRATE GAMBLING.

"took a shot" it would be to sit down at like a 25-50 or 50-100 NL game that was super soft, and that he had a big edge in. He'd be gambling, but he'd be gambling with the best of it. If he lost the 10 g's, he could go back to grinding for a couple months, before taking another shot. blowing a third of your bankroll on the biggest, toughest tourniment in the world is degenerate gambling. Risking your life needlessly to prove yourself that better than another player is DEGENRATE GAMBLING.
True, butsome of the most respected players today (Ivey, Greenstein, Negraneau, and Forrest) have all taken their lumps. Its like a rite of passage.
True, butsome of the most respected players today (Ivey, Greenstein, Negraneau, and Forrest) have all taken their lumps. Its like a rite of passage.
True enough.. DN ponied up his whole bankroll to win the pot limit hold 'em game, so maybe I'm just talking out of my aass.