who's your team?

I think releasing Satan made a lot of sense. He was their highest paid player, but only averaged about 25 goals and around 60 points per season. Not exactly superstar numbers, although there's no telling what might happen this year with a more wide-open game. His release opens the door for the Sabres to go after some much needed help on defense, and possibly a Top Tier Free Agent or two. Among the list of still available players, I would love to see Patrick Elias, Vincent Lecavalier, Marian Hossa, or Alexei Zhamnov in a Sabres uniform. The rest of the available players (IMO) are either overpriced, or would do too much damage to the Team First dynamic the Sabres have going for them (ego, high salary envy, etc).

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think releasing Satan made a lot of sense. He was their highest paid player, but only averaged about 25 goals and around 60 points per season. Not exactly superstar numbers, although there's no telling what might happen this year with a more wide-open game. His release opens the door for the Sabres to go after some much needed help on defense, and possibly a Top Tier Free Agent or two. Among the list of still available players, I would love to see Patrick Elias, Vincent Lecavalier, Marian Hossa, or Alexei Zhamnov in a Sabres uniform. The rest of the available players (IMO) are either overpriced, or would do too much damage to the Team First dynamic the Sabres have going for them (ego, high salary envy, etc).
Those are all good players, but I think they are all restricted. And Elias's career is in limbo because he picked up Hep A.I remember what I wanted to ask you, would you be receptive to the return of Alexander Mogilny? He has definatly earned some playoff experience since he left Buffalo, and when healthy he can still score with the best of them. Maybe he can help Conolly do his best Lafontaine inpersonation. (20 goals but like 90 assists).

Mogilny is another of those streaky players who can destroy a locker room with a big ego. I don't think he'll ever come back to Buffalo, although I wouldn't boo him from the bleachers if he did. I'm just hoping to see some activity from my boys before Free Agency is over, they need a lightning rod to push them into the A-list of solid hockey teams. Although after watching Derek Roy play all year for my hometown Amerks, the kid is the real deal and might be the spark they need. Thomas Vanek is no joke either. Two really solid young players who might have the skills to put up some big points this year.

Its pretty easy to have high hopes right now and there are alotta people with them here in Pittsburgh. Its shaping up to be a nice mixture of youth and veteran leadership that could really turn into something special. I'm no fair weather fan so I'll be watching them either way, but it would be nice to see them actually playing for something come spring '06.LETS GO PENS!!!

Its pretty easy to have high hopes right now and there are alotta people with them here in Pittsburgh. Its shaping up to be a nice mixture of youth and veteran leadership that could really turn into something special. I'm no fair weather fan so I'll be watching them either way, but it would be nice to see them actually playing for something come spring '06.LETS GO PENS!!!
Here's a question for the average Pens fan Dev: How many goals does Sidney Crosby have to score to be considered worthy of his hype? At this point, nothing short of the second coming of Lemieux will satisfy the media, I'm wondering about the fans. Lemieux Rookie Year: Goals - 43 Assists - 57 Points - 100Gretzky Rookie Year: Goals - 51 Assists - 86 Points - 137
Here's a question for the average Pens fan Dev: How many goals does Sidney Crosby have to score to be considered worthy of his hype? At this point, nothing short of the second coming of Lemieux will satisfy the media, I'm wondering about the fans.  Lemieux Rookie Year: Goals - 43 Assists - 57 Points - 100Gretzky Rookie Year: Goals - 51 Assists - 86 Points - 137
I'm not a pens fan, though I do live in KC. We built a new arena that will open the same year that the pens' contract with theirs runs out, so there's tons of rumors flying around about them moving here.I don't see how Crosby could satisfy the expectations. I would consider it living up to the hype if he managed 70 points. That would be very impressive, but I don't see it happening. I think he's gonna have maybe 40 points.
Here's a question for the average Pens fan Dev: How many goals does Sidney Crosby have to score to be considered worthy of his hype? At this point, nothing short of the second coming of Lemieux will satisfy the media, I'm wondering about the fans.  Lemieux Rookie Year: Goals - 43 Assists - 57 Points - 100Gretzky Rookie Year: Goals - 51 Assists - 86 Points - 137
I'm not a pens fan, though I do live in KC. We built a new arena that will open the same year that the pens' contract with theirs runs out, so there's tons of rumors flying around about them moving here.I don't see how Crosby could satisfy the expectations. I would consider it living up to the hype if he managed 70 points. That would be very impressive, but I don't see it happening. I think he's gonna have maybe 40 points.
The Pens are definitely a choice for KC, but the Blues (which I don't see happening due to the existing arena lease in StL), the Panthers, the Predators, and the Hurricanes have also been mentioned. There are also rumors in Winnipeg trying to get investors together to purchase an existing team and put the Jets back on the ice.

I think Crosby will be in the top 10 in scoring, easily. Playing with Mario, and on that RIDICULOUS power play (Mario, Sid, Recchi, Tarnstrom, Gonchar), he'll be good for 15-20 PPG alone. I can't really say exactly how many points, since I'm not sure what offensive output will be this season, but he's going to be up there.

Has anyone actually seen Crosby play? I have not. I hope he is as good as they say. the league needs a new superstart but i have a feeling that the kid has been overhyped. Any thoughts from anyone who has actually seen him play?

Red Wings fan here (was a fan before the recent cups too). Unlike most of the--vocal--Wings fans, I'm glad for the salary cap. Instead of the overpowered Red Wings playing a few clash-of-the-titans games against the other mega-payroll teams (Philly, Dallas, Colorado, etc.), now more than ever about every game will be a nail-biter. For years now, if we lost to Pittsburgh, Edmonton or the like it was because the Wings "played a bad game". No more push-over teams. And even against teams that don't seem to be doing much for their rosters yet (Carolina, etc.) will stand a better chance because teams like the Wings won't be as overloaded. I'm a Red Wings fan, but first and foremost, I'm a fan of the game. Finally going to spring for Centre-Ice this year. Sweet. 8) I also have soft spots for the LA Kings (tended to take out Colorado in the playoffs when we couldn't), Edomton Oilers (took a lot of great Michigan/MSU players that I liked to follow, not to mention the best jersey in the league: their third) and Washington Capials (no real reason other than US pride, and I'm just glad Jagr is out of there). I also feel for Chicago and Toronto; I know how those long cup droughts are... 42 years was long enough for us.

Red Wings fan here (was a fan before the recent cups too). Unlike most of the--vocal--Wings fans, I'm glad for the salary cap. Instead of the overpowered Red Wings playing a few clash-of-the-titans games against the other mega-payroll teams (Philly, Dallas, Colorado, etc.), now more than ever about every game will be a nail-biter. For years now, if we lost to Pittsburgh, Edmonton or the like it was because the Wings "played a bad game". No more push-over teams. And even against teams that don't seem to be doing much for their rosters yet (Carolina, etc.) will stand a better chance because teams like the Wings won't be as overloaded. I'm a Red Wings fan, but first and foremost, I'm a fan of the game. Finally going to spring for Centre-Ice this year. Sweet. 8) I also have soft spots for the LA Kings (tended to take out Colorado in the playoffs when we couldn't), Edomton Oilers (took a lot of great Michigan/MSU players that I liked to follow, not to mention the best jersey in the league: their third) and Washington Capials (no real reason other than US pride, and I'm just glad Jagr is out of there). I also feel for Chicago and Toronto; I know how those long cup droughts are... 42 years was long enough for us.
The Red Wings suck, you bastard!The Blackhawks suck even more.Go Blues.I'm just playing with you, but the Wings and Hawks DO suck.

Oh you're just bitter because the Wings have owned you guys in the playoffs. :wink: JK. BTW, got to see Barrett Jackman and Ryan Johnson play here in Kalamazoo when they were on the UHL squad in Missouri last year. Jackman impressed the heck outta me. Between the two of them, they had 7 points agains us in the first period (4-0; Jackman 2g, 2a; Johnson 2g, 1a)! We came back to tie the game and win in a shootout (5-4). Jackman could easily step up to lead your D now that Pronger's gone north of the border.

Oh you're just bitter because the Wings have owned you guys in the playoffs. :wink: JK. BTW, got to see Barrett Jackman and Ryan Johnson play here in Kalamazoo when they were on the UHL squad in Missouri last year. Jackman impressed the heck outta me. Between the two of them, they had 7 points agains us in the first period (4-0; Jackman 2g, 2a; Johnson 2g, 1a)! We came back to tie the game and win in a shootout (5-4). Jackman could easily step up to lead your D now that Pronger's gone north of the border.
The defense for the Blues is really solid. They didn't have to get Eric Brewer back for Pronger, they have plenty of depth anyway. I was frustrated that they didn't get any forwards in the trade.
The defense for the Blues is really solid. They didn't have to get Eric Brewer back for Pronger, they have plenty of depth anyway. I was frustrated that they didn't get any forwards in the trade.
Especially with Demitra gone and Tkachuk probably the next to go.
Has anyone actually seen Crosby play? I have not. I hope he is as good as they say. the league needs a new superstart but i have a feeling that the kid has been overhyped. Any thoughts from anyone who has actually seen him play?
I watched him play in the World Junior and Memorial Cup, and he is goooooooood. Scary good. I wasn't around to see Mario or Wayne when they first showed up, but he's definitely the best young player I've ever seen.
I think Crosby will be in the top 10 in scoring, easily. Playing with Mario, and on that RIDICULOUS power play (Mario, Sid, Recchi, Tarnstrom, Gonchar), he'll be good for 15-20 PPG alone. I can't really say exactly how many points, since I'm not sure what offensive output will be this season, but he's going to be up there.
that's a pretty good PP unit, but not as good as the one they'll actually put on the ice... subtract Recchi, add Malone, for his presence in front of the net.GO PENS!

I'm a huge Columbus Blue Jackets fan, we have the two best youngsters in the league. And voted the number one arena experience for all sports, we got passion IN COLUMBUS

I'm a huge Columbus Blue Jackets fan, we have the two best youngsters in the league. And voted the number one arena experience for all sports, we got passion IN COLUMBUS
And you got Gilbert Brulet! If all goes well and he doesn't kill himself hitting someone much bigger than him, he should thrive in the new NHL.
Here's a question for the average Pens fan Dev: How many goals does Sidney Crosby have to score to be considered worthy of his hype? At this point, nothing short of the second coming of Lemieux will satisfy the media, I'm wondering about the fans. Lemieux Rookie Year: Goals - 43 Assists - 57 Points - 100Gretzky Rookie Year: Goals - 51 Assists - 86 Points - 137
30 Goals 40 Assists 70 PointsWill be acceptable and I'm sure this will happen.GO PENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THE PENS WILL NOT BE MOVING TO KC, FACT.New arena on the way here. Slots licence to Lemieux & Co. will assure this. Also having drafted Crosby the talks have really heated up for the new arena. The city needs a new arena not just the Pens.

New England Sports have been on a tear so I am going to say the Bruins will win it all this year (I am a huge bruins fan) Any others planing on going to all the games till the price goes up.