looks like a horrible call, but actually...

Just played a 100+5 heads up at paradise and we were at the 50/100 blind stage. I had about 1100 to my opponant's 900. He's a;ready sucked out through 2 all ins (Neither of which I complained about) and then this hand comes up...I raise his blind to 250 and he goes all in. I have 7h 8h and my instinct is that he's got AX. Up until now he's limped in with premium hands and let me bet into him, so I've discounted pairs and AK AQ AJ and A10.One other thing is that during the 30/60 round he went all in preflop and when I folded he showed A4 suited.I decide I'm only in significant trouble if he's got an over pair. If he's got AK then I'm a 42%-58% dog, which I can live with because of the money already in the pot.He turns over A2 and starts talking about how I'm less than 30% to win it*. The truth is, I would prefer 78 suited to K 10 or QJ because I might not have two live cards which would be a disaster... I ran it through the card player calculator since I think I'm maybe a 5% dog and it turns out that A2 v 78 suited is almost even money... Guy goes mad, I hit the 7 and he stays behind at the table and rants in capitals until it closes down.I tried explaining it to him, but he then goes into his "I'm a pro and you suck" mode so I decide he's not worth it and enjoyed his tirade.I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks of the call given the size of the blinds and his propensity to go all in with poo.

All depends on what your comfortable with. With the blinds being where they are and stacks being so even, I'm not sure I would be comfortable in a race situation. I also wouldnt have bet so heavy preflop with 78. But, that being said, if I had raised preflop to that level and was raised all-in, calling is not a bad move against a loose aggressive player.

Not a horrible call, but not great either. I think he was angry because he sensed you weren't very strong, was correct, tried to make a move on you, and you still called him down. I like the raise, and his all-in re-raise is sort of suspicious, but I'm not sure I could make that call. The fact that you were facing a coinflip situation was pretty much a best possible scenario.

I think that it's and okay call, although you may be gambling a bit. You still had some room to play if you layed down the hand, but you would need to catch cards in the next few hands.I like your logic. If he would of had A-7 or A-8, you would of been in more trouble. It's still poker, you need to take a chance every now and then and it looks like you picked a decent spot. I may have folded, but it seems like you had a good read on the guy.

terrible call, you weren't getting any better than 2 to 1 on your money and you were underdog, and you'd have to assume with 7-8 that you're not the favorite going into the hand. The only time you should risk that much with such terrible odds is when you are a favorite. You could've just waited for a better opportunity to hold a strong hand and let him bet into you. You got lucky to win, but good job.

I think that it's and okay call' date=' although you may be gambling a bit. You still had some room to play if you layed down the hand, but you would need to catch cards in the next few hands.I like your logic. If he would of had A-7 or A-8, you would of been in more trouble. It's still poker, you need to take a chance every now and then and it looks like you picked a decent spot. I may have folded, [b']but it seems like you had a good read on the guy.[/[/b]quote]Haha, if he had a good read, he would've folded.
It's a horrible call.You're a buffalo. Stop playing $100 SnGs and just flip coins with someone, you'll be better off.
That depends on the rake structure of the coin flipping match.
I think that it's and okay call, although you may be gambling a bit. You still had some room to play if you layed down the hand, but you would need to catch cards in the next few hands.I like your logic. If he would of had A-7 or A-8, you would of been in more trouble. It's still poker, you need to take a chance every now and then and it looks like you picked a decent spot. I may have folded, but it seems like you had a good read on the guy.
Haha, if he had a good read, he would've folded.

You're fairly even in chips, the blinds are not outrageous yet, and you want to put your money in as a slight dog? I think had you lost the coin flip you would've kicked yourself for such a donkish call. It's only after your win that you want to find reasons why it was a good idea. Only Danny Nguyen would back you here.

Had this game been a heads up cash game i think it would have been a great call. A little advertising to your opponent that you will call in coin flip situtations is good for your game. After a call like that you could be sure he would slow down in his betting which would give you a big advantage. However, this was a tourney if i'm not mistaken. I would have tried to avoid those sort of situations. But hey, to each his own.

Hey smash... any time you feel like giving me a poker lesson I'd be glad to pay for it...Humble "donk" like me would be happy to splash $200+10 for some pointers... Let me know when you're free to educate me and I'll make sure I'm available. I'll take a guess that you'll say something flippant and then not play me, but I guess we'll see.eeey haw all

horrible call donkey. risking almost all your chips with 87s not a good idea. if he had two overcards, you would be a 37% fav. to win the hand. you got lucky you hit. it was a horrible call. you could just fold and find a better situation since you said you had a "Great read" on him.teneight

horrible call donkey. risking almost all your chips with 87s not a good idea. if he had two overcards, you would be a 37% fav. to win the hand. you got lucky you hit. it was a horrible call. you could just fold and find a better situation since you said you had a "Great read" on him.teneight
Tough to argue that this is not a bad call.
Humble "donk" like me would be happy to splash $200+10 for some pointers... Let me know when you're free to educate me and I'll make sure I'm available.  Make it 5k.Let me know.
plank just challenged $200 and Smash was like "whatever bitch, lets make it 5G's and roll!"I doubt plank will step up, but holy shit, this would be the best forum challenge EVER! 5K!!!
I think it's a good call...he needs to put in 650 into a pot of 1150. Given the pot odds, he only needs a 36% chance to win for this to be the right call. So the call is OK even if his opponent has overcards. Just one undercard, or an underpair, and it is clearly correct. He might not want to make the call because he thinks he's a better player and thinks he can outplay later, but with the blinds this high heads up online, it''s pretty much a coin flip anyway.One nice thing about suited connectors is they are rarely a huge underdog against anything.
I think it's a good call...he needs to put in 650 into a pot of 1150. Given the pot odds, he only needs a 36% chance to win for this to be the right call. So the call is OK even if his opponent has overcards. Just one undercard, or an underpair, and it is clearly correct. He might not want to make the call because he thinks he's a better player and thinks he can outplay later, but with the blinds this high heads up online, it''s pretty much a coin flip anyway.One nice thing about suited connectors is they are rarely a huge underdog against anything.
okay, the only way this is a good call if the stacks were bigger to start with and he has a big chip lead. calling here for the tournament is a horrible play.

Smash... I stand corrected... You seem to be up for it, which is a pleasant surprise.I suggested $200+10 since that's what I was playing and paradise has a perculiar blind structure which weighed heavily in my decision to call. (10 hands per blind level) It's also the biggest game they offer heads up.If you can show me an online 5K heads up that's roughly similar (Not the Poker Stars one) , I'll be there with bells on. To be honest, if I'm playing that high I'd rather have 3 $2000 tournies to take some of the luck out of it. (Or even put the funds in escrow, play to the best of 5 in the $5+1 tournies and the first one to 3 gets the money)I'm flexible on the subject and we can iron any details out via e-mail. The only thing I'd insist on is that however many games we play, they're all no limit hold em.If there's nothing suitable online, I'll be out in Vegas in early November and if you're any where near we can try and sort something out, although it will be my first time in the states, so it would fall on you to organise it.cheers

OK, here's how I understand the stacks:If walktheplank calls and wins, he win the tournament.If walktheplank calls and loses, he has 200 and his opponent has 1800...he has about a 10% chance of winning.If walktheplank folds, he has 850 and his opponent has 1150...a 42% chance of winning.So for the call to be worth it:P + (1-P).1 > .42.9 P +.1 > .42.9 P > .32P > .35If walktheplank thinks he has greater than a 35% chance of winning, he should call. He will at least this chance of winning unless he strongly believes he is dominated.What am I missing here?Maybe IF walktheplank thinks he is a better player than his opponent, he may believe he has better than a 42% chance to win when he has 42% of the chips. But why should he necessarily believe that? Maybe he doesn't want to make the mistake of overestimating his ability in a situation that is generally dominated by luck.Most of the other players in this thread seem to think he is a terrible player. If he's such a terrible player, why shouldn't he take the (shade under a) coin flip to win the whole thing?

i doubt all the people think he's a horrible player.First off, playing cards is gambling.second off, this is one play...blah blah..really don't know the guy. who really cares? i sure don't.thirdly...did i say cards is gambling? yea..- Jordan