top 5 poker tips/hints/books

I was interested to know what everyone thought were the top 5 most important pieces of information to know when playing poker.(NL hold'em)Also it would be good to know what you guys considered to be the top 5 books to read or just any hints that would help me or anybody else improve their game.Thanks in advance :-)

Experience, experience goes along ways. Books only give you an mential picture but its up to that person to apply it in real situations.I have never ready any poker books but the ones I keep hearing about is:1. SuperSystem2. Sklansky's book3. McEvoy/Cloutierin no particular order.People have said SuperSystem2 Limit section is great.

#1 tip is to play when you have the edge, and don't play when you don't.Top 4 books - each is absolutely awesome in their own way:Theory of Poker by SklanskySuper/System - by Doyle and co (may revise this to SS2)Harrington on Holdem - By well...Dan HarringtonHigh Lo Split for Advanced Players - by Ray Zee

i meant about no limit holdem. yea i have read super system and caros book of poker tells and i plan to read a few sklansky/cloutier books and i plan to also read the harrington book. i also always see these "ebooks" that "promise" that by ordering it you will never lose again and rake in monster profits and that u will be able to beat anyone (etc.). whats with those thing i would like everyones opinins please because is everything that the "ebook" advertises true or is it a bunch of sh*t? if they6 were so great...wouldnt everyone have bought it by now? just looking for your guys' opinions thx.

Just a comment on the ebook thing, why would people be selling the ebooks if they could instead be playing poker 'never losing again'? There ya go.... probably not worth it.As for my top books:1) The Theory of Poker - Sklansky2) Hold'Em for Advanced Players - Sklansky3) Super System - Brunson and gang4) Caro's Book of Tells - Mike Carp

4) Caro's Book of Tells - Mike Carp
Caro*, not carp :)I dont me to sound like an ahole, I just want to correct it so people dont go looking for a book by Mike Carp, instead of Mike Caro.I'm currently reading Super System, it's awesome so far, just as I expected. I finally found my Barnes and Noble Gift card (I lost it under my useless Christmas clothes >.<) and I'm going to go get Caro's Book of Tells soon. Where is the best place to buy these books for the lowest price? I would assume Barnes and Noble because they usually have fair pricing, but if anyone knows any better places, please post.

well books are generally single-price only in stores - if you are buying 2 or 3 at once (yes you have to plan lol) - amazon is usually better. They are cheaper price, but shipping costs.

Super System is OK, but it's a bit outdated and simplistic in my view. Too much focus on individual hands (tactics) and not enough on the bigger picture (strategy).I really like Ken Warren's books. Not many will agree with me on this, but I find him to be a battle-tested kind of writer, with good common sense advice.I think the best book ultimately depends on what you're using it for -- ring games, tourneys, limit, no-limit, online, B&M?? I can't say there's one book that is good for all of them, except maybe the Theory of Poker by Sklansky.

yea i was wondering if any of you guys knew how i could play poke ronline for $? i mean...i can play like home games but the skill level is sooo low that its not intereting. does anyone know how a 16 year old can play for actuall cash online oh yea and thx for the previous advise from everyone

Books and Playing, Playing, Playing! Books help out with the fundamentals. Poker is so situational and that following one set of guidelines in a book may not be to your advantage. However, I have been reading over and over Harrington's new book and have found it to be very good for NL (ST and MT poker).

Top 3 books in my collection1. Small Stakes Hold em' - Slansky/Malmuth - Awsome book for anyone looking to take their game to the next level, definately helpful for online play.2. Championship NL & PL HE - Cloutier/McEvoy - Best tournament book out today3. Play Poker Like The Pros - Hellmuth - I know alot of people dont really like this book but there alot of useful tips, esp. his animal types. It is more for beginners but definately worth a read.

The best place that I have found to find poker books is from the ebay seller professionalpoker. They sell new and used books and they always have the best price. Check out their website www.professionalpoker.com

3. Play Poker Like The Pros - Hellmuth - I know alot of people dont really like this book but there alot of useful tips, esp. his animal types.
The animal types are quite possibly the greatest poker secrets known to man.Im just messin with ya :-)These 3 are a MUST HAVE:1.) Super System2.) Theory of Poker3.) Caro's Book of Tells

Schoonmaker's "The Psychology of Poker" is another good read. I found it a refreshingly different take on the game. In many ways it's superior to Caro's Book of Tells because it applies in the on-line world and focuses not just on tells but on the psychology behind them.

If you're looking for good prices on poker books, go on amazon, but click on the "used" section after you look up the book. A word to the wise, make sure that you check the seller's feedback before you buy. I got "Zen and the Art of Poker" for around $3. Check there before you buy new, usually the most that'll be "wrong" with the book is a few bent corners.

when buying any book, i always check half.com first. it's associated with ebay and its private sellers so you can get new or used stuff for way cheaper than b&n, borders, etc. for example just checked on super system:b&n.com: $21half.com: $17which isn't huge but hey four bucks is four bucksolder less popular books you can typically get for way cheaper.

Are you guys serious with the supersystem rules crap? That book is useless. 10 years ago it was groundbreaking but now you will get hammered playing SS style poker in any mid to high stakes limit game. From what i hear SS2 is better, especially harmans limit section, but a lot of it is SS rehashed. absolute junk. Same with Caros Tells. Anyone looking for all that crap now is wasting their time. 10 years ago when people didnt realize what was going on these tells were useful. Now, every joe schmoe has read this book. when i see someone trying to check my eyes etc i mess with them. ill glance at my chips with garbage hands. Ill perk up when i see 27o. EVERYONE KNOWS THESE TELLS. there are many tells you can discern especially in midlimit holdem, but caros are outdated. Im not gonna divulge my secrets, but heres a hint: wrists are the new eyes.

I was interested to know what everyone thought were the top 5 most important pieces of information to know when playing poker.(NL hold'em)Also   it would be good to know what you guys considered to be the top 5 books to read or just any hints that would help me or anybody else improve their game.Thanks in advance :-)
I can't remeber who said it...but my favourite tip is."If you sit at a table and you don't know who the fish is....it's you"KK

about the fish thing...i know the saying but i dont believe that its always truei mean when i play there are no actuall 'fish'at thetable because we all play at a fairly equal level im profitable overall but there are no actuaal fish so that doesnt necessarily applyand trust me..im not the fish

I have to say that their really isn't any gimic or piece of advice I can give. I will say, play, play and play. Then, reflect and learn.As far as books go.1) Super System - might be outdated, but still fantastic2) The Theory of Poker - The concepts are fantastic3) Pot-Limit/No-Limit Hold'em by Cloutier/McEvoy - More good concepts4) Tournament Poker by Sklansky - Good tournament concepts5) Harrington on Hold'em - I just recently finished it and I loved every page.I haven't seen anyone mention any of the Killer Poker books, so I will mention those as well. They aren't beginner level books, but if you have mastered the basic theories and concepts of poker these books can add to your game. Especially if you are trying to become more aggressive.

about the fish thing...i know the saying but i dont believe that its always truei mean   when i play    there are no actuall 'fish'at thetable because we all play at a fairly equal level   im profitable overall but there are no actuaal fish so that doesnt necessarily applyand trust me..im not the fish
sorry man...I wasn't implying it was you...in fact I just find it a helpful saying/tip for me....this has kept me from playing in above my head many a time, when I get on a winning streak and think I'm a world beater.take care,KK