if raymer wins is he the next brunsen or chan

thats just what were the field sizes in the other 9 for both probably not even 500i would guess
That's true but think of what the ratio of pros/amatures had to be compared to today? 7/10 to 1/50??
Yes, there were only 116 or so professionals in the Main Event.....
thats just what were the field sizes in the other 9 for both probably not even 500i would guess
That's true but think of what the ratio of pros/amatures had to be compared to today? 7/10 to 1/50??
NO WAY. There are maybe 116 recognizable marquee names, bracelet winners and such there.But, there are many many pros. It's just that only the other pros know them. And there are many international players who the American pros don't know.

There's not nearly as much dead money as people would like to think.Today's feild is very likely on average *tougher* than old feilds.There's so much more information avaiable to players now, not to mention the ability to play 500 large feild torunaments in a year, and millions of hands online.

NO WAY. There are maybe 116 recognizable marquee names, bracelet winners and such there.But, there are many many pros. It's just that only the other pros know them. And there are many international players who the American pros don't know.
My mistake..I forgot the sarcastic warning. I guess in my mind it was pretty clear that there were many, many more pros out there than people give credit for. My point, was that the poster who said the pro to amateur ratio was 1/50 was a bit out there.I could probably name 116 (1/50 in a field of 5,800+) professionals in the field.I would guess that about half the field, if not more, make their living from poker or poker related enterprises (Hellmuth's books, camps, dvds). That includes the guys grinding it out on the 10/20 tables on a daily basis to the folks playing in the big game.

Raymer won't be the next Doyle if he wins the next 6 WSOP main events. Sure that'll be a great accomplishment, but Raymer will never become a legendary Texas road gambler.

now before you thrash me you gotta remember niether doyle nor Johnnyhave beat 2500 and 5500 to win main event.OF course he hasnt won yetbut if he does in my opinion this is bigger than the 10 titles doyle has wonand for sure tougher.
hell no

I can't believe there is even debate in this subject. Greg Raymer, winnning last years event, and being in the remaining 27 of this years event, is by far the greatest accomplishment in poker history.Just because it is the greatest accomplishment, in no way means he is the best player to ever live.The fields that he has carved his way through are absolutely massive. For anyone that plays multiple MTT's online, I think they will appreciate his accomplishment even more. Nevermind that he has done this in the biggest, most prestigious event held during the year (an argument can be made for the WPT championship as the most prestigious).The field size is such a huge hurdle to get through, and more than makes up for the advantage of their being more dead money...

in terms of world series of poker accomplishments, this would probably be the most imprsssive feat.however it is highly unlikely it will elevate raymer to the status of brunson or chan, or, in my opinion, to the status of hellmuth, negraneu, seidel, ivey, chip, tj, jesus and a lot of other elite players.if someone hits back to back 70 home runs, do they automatically become the next babe ruth or hank aaron? of course not, that's silly. it takes a lot more to be considered amongst the best of all time.so yes while i agree this would be the most impressive wsop feat ever i wouldnt grant raymer legend status just yet. we will never know if raymer would have survived if he tried poker as a living. the only samples we have to judge him by are the 'series events.anyway this argument will be redundant since ivey will win the first of his several main event titles.

if someone hits back to back 70 home runs, do they automatically become the next babe ruth or hank aaron? of course not, that's silly. it takes a lot more to be considered amongst the best of all time.
if someone hits 70 back to back, unjuiced, in their 4th & 5th or so years in the league, you'll hear a lot of talk about them being better than ruth/aaron.
now before you thrash me you gotta remember niether doyle nor Johnnyhave beat 2500 and 5500 to win main event.OF course he hasnt won yetbut if he does in my opinion this is bigger than the 10 titles doyle has wonand for sure tougher.
One things for sure, If he does win back to back, it's going to be hard to argue that poker isn't a game of skill!!!

It would be like a guy pitching back-to-back perfect games in the majors,almost impossible to do and practically unheard of but doesn't put his name up with those who have won 300 games and guys in the hall of fame.

One things for sure, If he does win back to back, it's going to be hard to argue that poker isn't a game of skill!!!
Nah people will just point out to that one woman who hit million dollar slot jackpots twice in one year or the people who win the lottery multiple times. There are tons of people who will simply not admit poker has anything to do with anything other than rudimentary skill and nothing will change that for them.