poker at local bars... thoughts

I'm interested in getting some local bars to sponsor poker tournaments. I want to do these for several reasons not the least is to find players for my local Saturday night game and pocket a little cash.Has anybody started one of these or played in one? Any ideas on the matter?~sublime

I'm interested in getting some local bars to sponsor poker tournaments. I want to do these for several reasons not the least is to find players for my local Saturday night game and pocket a little cash.Has anybody started one of these or played in one? Any ideas on the matter?~sublime
These can be interesting. I played in one such tourrney here locally and found at least three or four other guys that I know from my area there looking for players. The upshot of that experience was a couple of us getting invited to a home game later. I'm almost certain I got invited because after going up big early (AA, two all-ins in front of me), I got crushed again and again and again on weird draws and suckouts. The other guy I'm fairly certain deliberately tanked.So... be wary of some of the soft money in those tourneys.

Bars are allowed to have tournaments with free buy ins and provide cash prizes, but there are no live cash games or cash buy in tournaments, and the establishment can't take a rake in any form. It is against state law, at least in Colorado. That's why gambling is only legal in certain areas.Just my 2 cents.J in colo

Sublime,I've played in numerous bar tourney's in my area. I refuse to play in anymore due to rampant cheating and collusion. The chips used were generic and several players decided to bring chips from home and slip them into their stack when nobody was looking. One guy got caught and nobody said a word. A few others thought they were slick after watching "Tilt" and decided to use hand signals. It was blatantly obvious and the players were allowed to continue even after being called on it. Ridiculous.Also, I'd be very leary with state laws regarding poker touneys. We've all heard the stories recently of poker rooms and bars actually being raided with players cash being confiscated. Our Attorney General just passed a law stating that since bars were making income from these tournaments (drinks, food, etc.) then it constitutes a "rake" and is therefore illegal.Not trying to scare anyone, but IMO these bar touneys aren't always what they appear.Good luck.

We had a local game at 2 different bars 2x a week for about 6 months. The game was run by a local cop and teacher. The games went off smoothly with a tourney and cash games afterwards until the PA gaming commission stepped in. The cop was tipped off and the games ended immediately. PA has got to be one of the strictest states when it comes to gambling. We also don't have beer in our 7elevens or grocery stores.

I am located in Augusta, Georgia. I know we have some pretty stricked gambling laws as there have been 4 busted in the last few months for pretty big poker games (one of them took 95k from the game).I want to do this on the up and up and was looking for some insight on this.I do know you can't take a rake or any money, but the deal with the bars making money on food and drinks and consindering it making money from gambling is ridiculous. What is the diffence in trivia, or the state lottery or chuch bingo? I just don't get it. The state is allowed to tax the willing (read poor) but I can't play cards. Sucks.I can't beleive people actually use signs and collusion in a bar freeroll, but then again I have faith in humanity on a whole.Appriciate the help. Any other comments welcome.~sublime

They are a good way to meet people for games and to play total Nutbar poker, but if you care about the quality of your games most bars are usually lacking in a real understanding of how to structure a tournament. An example: I once went from a stack that was a about 1/30 of the average at the final two tables, worked my way up to second in chips and had the bar close right as we were heads up, the prize was an entry into a 10 person table for a trip to Vegas and I was sure I could beat the guy I would have played heads up (I know everyone ever is sure of this, but I really was better than him). Anyway, I couldn't really get mad because it was free in the first place, but it frustrated me that they hadn't figured out some way to adjust for something like that. Bottom line, they're about as much fun as playing online for playchips.

I disagree with the cash sales from drinks being considered the "rake". I dealt cards five nights a week for awhile for the Colorado Poker Tour, and that is why that company does so well. The bars supply all of the prizes, from bar tabs to trips to Vegas to WSOP buy ins, and then they pay a company such as this to come in and provide the tournament - everything from dealers to advertising to chips and tables. The bar would pay anywhere between $200 to $500 per table per night. For example, if a bar wanted to run a hundred person tourney, then they would need ten tables at $200 per, which would cost $2000. That might seem like a lot, but if you consider that each person will drink two drinks an hour or if the bar has a two drink minimum for free card night, the bar stands to make a substantial sum, especially if they host the tourney on an off night. One dive bar I worked at went from selling $1200 on a Monday night to selling $5200 on Mondays with a five table tournament. I also ran a tournament at a local bar for about six months, so PM me if you's like, or feel free to ask some more questions.Hope this helps.J in Colo.

Check your state and local laws. Here in Texas they are even looking to outlaw the free tournaments that bars run now. Most bars have stopped running them all together becasue of the impending decision. Most lawas are written to say that no one can gain economic benefit other than actaul money made from playing - bars make money off beer, hence they are benefiting.Also in TX, you can only play in a private residence.

Also, there have been several area bars that have been "busted" recently, but those places were charging cash buy ins and awarding cash prizes. The company I worked with hired and paid dealers to watch for cheating and collusion and such. We were given the authority to ask players to leave, and there were enough honest players that I don't think that anyone would really want to cheat.Any idiot who pays attention would notice someone go from $2000 chips to $320,000 chips. I'm just saying that I know what everyone at the table's bankroll is as a dealer and I would notice cheating.Not to say that cheating doesn't exist, I just think it happens at shady side games or smaller venues, but I doubt it's a major problem.J in Colo.

HiI used to run one called the holdemhouse here in texas 6 bars was bought out by you should write to them there always looking for partners to setup in new locations.And when chris came down he got his ass kicked by one of our localshttp://www.tfpl.net/images/Texas%20Region/...n/$andJuan1.jpg (edit that a bit big)here is our final for all the bar winnershttp://www.tfpl.net/images/Texas%20Region/...05/CIMG1623.JPG

Bars are allowed to have tournaments with free buy ins and provide cash prizes, but there are no live cash games or cash buy in tournaments, and the establishment can't take a rake in any form. It is against state law, at least in Colorado. That's why gambling is only legal in certain areas.Just my 2 cents.J in colo
basically that's law, or close to it, everywhere. Even NJ an NY you can have cash buy-ins that are "charity events". My buddy one a mtt and got a leather jacket, that kinda thing. Your best bet is find a VFW or private members only club. They can play for money.
HiI used to run one called the holdemhouse here in texas 6 bars was bought out by you should write to them there always looking for partners to setup in new locations.And when chris came down he got his ass kicked by one of our localshttp://www.tfpl.net/images/Texas%20Region/...n/$andJuan1.jpg (edit that a bit big)here is our final for all the bar winnershttp://www.tfpl.net/images/Texas%20Region/...05/CIMG1623.JPG
Hey, I know Hold 'Em House - I see they are still running some games. Are you involved with any real games in town? PM me if you're interested in sharing, I'll give you the information for our rooms as well if you'd like.

In North Carolina the bar games are considered illegal, but the DA said that they have better things to do than to prosecute, so the games continue. They're free tournaments with prizes like chip sets and such. I stopped going to them because the blind structure was crazy - when I made the final table of 10, the average chip stack was about 15K, but the blinds were 5K/10K.

That's how it is in PA. The poster from Pittsburgh seemed to describe cash games at the bar; that would be a no-no. There is a company in SE PA that runs a bunch of them and they are run well. You can check out their set up at riverchasers.com. I have been having trouble with their site today so they may be having server problems.
That's how it is in PA. The poster from Pittsburgh seemed to describe cash games at the bar; that would be a no-no. There is a company in SE PA that runs a bunch of them and they are run well. You can check out their set up at riverchasers.com. I have been having trouble with their site today so they may be having server problems.
snake, which bars do you play at? i play in a few of these a week...

My uncle lives in the orlando area and heplayed a couple of those.the play is super soft and hes a great tournament player.they were $20 buy-in and had usually 40-50 people.but only the top 3 spots paid.i think he got to played four of them placed 1,1,3, 20 something.apparently some kind of bar regulations federatin or something came in and told the manager that if he stopped the tournaments now they wouldnt shut down his bar. and those tournaments were gone in a flash.

snake, which bars do you play at? i play in a few of these a week...
Hey Iveyfan, how's it been. I haven't played in one for e few weeks now; my schedule has not been too forgiving. When I do, I'm usually a lock for the Wednesday game at Pizza Time Saloon. If I may digress, I have been playing regularly now in Tristaterounders' Tuesday night tourneys. It's a good game. I understand you have threatened to make it there at some point, you should. I noticed that there are some empty chairs tonight if you are interested.
ive been wanting to, but something always comes up...tonight have compant coming in from out of town,...i usaully play the tue game at rafters beef and ale<willow goove> wed is franks place in noristown thu is meritas in blue bell...i play in 1 or 2 a week, an excuse to drink lol...snake, which bars do you play at? i play in a few of these a week...
Hey Iveyfan, how's it been. I haven't played in one for e few weeks now; my schedule has not been too forgiving. When I do, I'm usually a lock for the Wednesday game at Pizza Time Saloon. If I may digress, I have been playing regularly now in Tristaterounders' Tuesday night tourneys. It's a good game. I understand you have threatened to make it there at some point, you should. I noticed that there are some empty chairs tonight if you are interested.
I am located in Augusta, Georgia. I know we have some pretty stricked gambling laws as there have been 4 busted in the last few months for pretty big poker games (one of them took 95k from the game).I want to do this on the up and up and was looking for some insight on this.I do know you can't take a rake or any money, but the deal with the bars making money on food and drinks and consindering it making money from gambling is ridiculous. What is the diffence in trivia, or the state lottery or chuch bingo? I just don't get it. The state is allowed to tax the willing (read poor) but I can't play cards. Sucks.I can't beleive people actually use signs and collusion in a bar freeroll, but then again I have faith in humanity on a whole.Appriciate the help. Any other comments welcome.~sublime
These games are all over, found 7 days a week in various Atlanta bars. Often sponsored by Miller Lite or someone, it brings people into a bar on an otherwise uncrowded night. There's no legal hassle as there's no cash involved, even for winning. It's always a weekend in hellhole Biloxi, or a felt Poker Table or something. These are social events, with drinking and hooking up. Anyone who wanted to cheat or collude would just be laughed at. The key is that the prizes aren't worth cheating for. Everyone has fun, gets some practice in, meets some people, and often later retire to a neighborhood home game for actual cash. Even that is low dollar stuff. I met my fiancee in fact, last year, at one of these. I was new in town, and randomly stopped it at the local sports bar for their regular Thursday night event. An adorable red-head sat across from me, I busted her out in 30 minutes, and the rest is history. Check out the wedding site at www.julieanddavidswedding.comI am biased for this reason, but I love bar poker!