I know many of you guys here hate the idea of somebody slowrolling, and so do I. Frankly it is the cheapest and most classless thing you can do at a poker table. It's more important to be a good winner than a good loser IMO and I thought we saw this class best exemplified in Poker Superstars.Anyway, I have now seen TWO occasions on the WPT when a superstar of the game has slowrolled, one of them our very own Daniel. I find this truly unacceptable. The first was when Doyle sat their against (I can't remember :club: ) and asked about chipstacks etc before saying "I call by the way". I don't care how bad you've been running, there is no excuse for this.The second instance was when Daniel had trapped David Williams with AA (I think) after David had flopped top pair. David moved allin and Daniel stood up slowly, took his time and said "call". There was no doubt he was calling the raise, and David immediatly said "nice slowroll by the way". Daniel smiled. The fact is that a lot of you guys would be ready to hit a guy who did that at a home game and if any amateur did it against a pro in a tournament you know the pros would blast them. In neither instance, however, did MS or VVP make any comment. I find the whole concept of slowrolling dispicable and I lost a lot of respect for DN they day I saw that Borgata event. (I also lost respect for him as a player after he was outclassed by DW headsup, but that is another story...)

Daniel did not slowroll. A slowroll occurs after the hand is over and you're showing your cards.If Daniel knew right away that he was calling, what he did was still unclassy. However, he was probably just running through the hand in his head to double-check that his opponent wasn't on trips or 2 pair....

Guest Anonymous

i dont think dn was slowrollin there what if DW flopped a set? its happened to me a bunch with AA and trash comes out on the flop

uhhh. hey dweeb.Your playing poker, your taking their money.they aggreed to get involved in the game.their are rules and codes of conduct, but if i wanna get up slowly and say. "umm i thinki'll call" with AA.. or ratherJump up slam them down and yell "whhaaaammmyyyy!!!"i'll do whatever the hell i want, and i could care less what any other plays does for that matter.Chi Chi rodriguez swings his putter around when he sinks a nice putt, u think people who are playing in his group are going to complain?. wil he be asked to stop??Will tiger woods be asked to stop pumping his arm when he makes a big putt??Should Major league baseball players be told to run the bases at normal speed even if its a home run, because no one enjoys someone who slow joggs the bases right??get lost

Neither of your instances are slow rolls.Slow rolls occur after the river has come and all bets have been called, and then you deliberately delay showing the winning cards. It can also be considered a slowroll when you delay calling an all-in when you have the stone cold nuts.A further obnoxious step is to feign having lost as well.In your instances, the delayed call may be simply last-minute deliberation (though they had the winning hand, in neither case did they have the nuts) - DB asking about chips, and the guy's answer, or how he answered, may have been the last piece of information he needed to call.

My interpretation of the slowroll is when you give the other guy the impression that he has won, and then show him the bad news (basically as he is reaching for the chips). Or... for example:Board is A :D 8 :D 7 :) 7 :D 2 :club: Villain flips over two clubs after calling your river bet and says "flush". You say "Aces", flip over an Ace... wait a sec... wait for it... and then say "full" and flip the other Ace for the Full Boat.

i love it when people butcher simple concepts like slow rolling. lets review:SLOW - a lesser rate of speed.ROLLING - to turn over (in this case, ones cards).SLOWROLLING - TO TURN OVER ONES CARDS AT A LESSER RATE OF SPEED. NOTE: nowhere in this definition does the word 'call' appear.

I still maintain that slowrolling is actually good for the game, especially on t.v. It's neat to see how other players react to being slowrolled. I think DW was frustrated and DN had gotten into his mind. Thats why he accused DN of slowrolling. I do think that its interesting to see other players go on tilt after they have been slowrolled and good for t.v.

That's not a slow roll to me. I consider it REALLY bad if your opponent goes as trying to rake the chips in. That's really embarassing. Otherwise a little slow-roll isn't so bad as everyone makes it. Agree?

I still maintain that slowrolling is actually good for the game, especially on t.v. It's neat to see how other players react to being slowrolled. I think DW was frustrated and DN had gotten into his mind. Thats why he accused DN of slowrolling. I do think that its interesting to see other players go on tilt after they have been slowrolled and good for t.v.
i still maintain you will lose several teeth if you try that at a real card club. Ive seen it happen.

This is an example of a slowroll, from Josharieh.com4:45 - Guy hit a 20 to 1 shot on me then slorolled me...I bet the river...he called...I turned my hand up and he said "that's good"...5 seconds later he says "thats good for me" and he turned over the winning hand...cute eh? Guess that's what happends to the *******...

I agree with the majority of replies here that the OP is being at least a bit hypersensitive about the examples he gave, but I do find the need to quibble with some of Royal Tour's examples, mostly because I like Royal Tour and want to take a jab at him.The golfing examples aren't entirely valid because golf isn't a zero-sum game. It's individual, so it's not like making your putt adds another shot to someone else's score. Even then, there is some etiquette to follow. Remember the Ryder Cup a few years ago when the US beat Europe, and I believe it was Justin Leonard who made a ridiculously long and crucial putt. The entire US team began celebrating wildly on the green, but the European guy still had his own putt to make. And it's kind of hard to stare down a 12-footer for the tournament win when 15 guys have been dancing in your putting line. That definitely took away from what was a pretty impressive US win.And for the baseball example, people do get upset if a guy takes an excessively long time to jog around the bases, because it is showing up the pitcher. Obviously nobody expects a guy to sprint around the bases, but sometimes these guys are barely moving, soaking up all the glory, and tend to get plunked their next time up. I once hit a home run (not in the Majors, of course) and hobbled around the bases because I had a bum knee that I had twisted earlier. Of course, my next time at bat the first pitch was aimed somewhere between my chin and temple, and I just barely got out of the way. Not good times. Bad times.Anyway, there was little else left to be said about the OP, so I thought I'd talk about sports, because I like sports. Consider this tangent over.Mo

i love it when people butcher simple concepts like slow rolling. lets review:SLOW - a lesser rate of speed.ROLLING - to turn over (in this case, ones cards).SLOWROLLING - TO TURN OVER ONES CARDS AT A LESSER RATE OF SPEED. NOTE: nowhere in this definition does the word 'call' appear.
I think your looking at this concept too direct, this expression has grown in definition.It can also be considered in this formSlow - a lesser rate of speedRolling, or rolled (Mugging). - to take ones money and or belongins.Slow- rolling, - knowingly slowly taking ones money
I agree with the majority of replies here that the OP is being at least a bit hypersensitive about the examples he gave, but I do find the need to quibble with some of Royal Tour's examples, mostly because I like Royal Tour and want to take a jab at him.Mo
Yep,I agree 100% with you.. the examples i gave dont relate directly with poker. but they do however relate with gamesman ship.And as a player, and spectator, i could care less what people do to celebrate or put me on tilt.And yes, i remember the ryder cup incident. I think the Chi Chi rodriguez example is a little more directly related with showing up your opponents as you celebrate a victory. (wether it be 1 putt, or the tournament)This can still put your fellow golfer on edge as you showboat.So YES, i think it is welcome in sporting, and poker.

I got slowrolled At Bellagio last week!I have AQ in the BB a few limps and I raise out of the BBEveryone calls and the flop comes Q22I bet everyone but the 3s folds...turn is a 5 I bet again 3s raises me..I think for a minute before calling river comes a blank I check 3s bets and I call...3s in all his drunken glory touches his hole cards and slowly picks them up and turns them to me in front of his face exposing 2 queens!Man was I pissed!I told him Nice hand but that hes a jackass for slowrolling and I told the dealer to warn him! The whole table agreed with me that hes a jackass and asked him not to do it again!Not like anyone cares, but I figured Id post it anyway :club:

i still maintain you will lose several teeth if you try that at a real card club. Ive seen it happen.
Says you. I slowroll most of the time. It keeps the game from getting to comfy and jovial. Plus it directs people's attention at your actions instead of how they should play their hand, which is +ev.
Says you. I slowroll most of the time. It keeps the game from getting to comfy and jovial. Plus it directs people's attention at your actions instead of how they should play their hand, which is +ev.
yea, uhh, you wont be in the game after you do it once. you'll be outside, and in considerable pain.

You know... often times poker players know each other and like to mess around with each other from time to time. In fact, I'm fairly sure Daniel frequently jokes around with other players. While we're at it, let's critisize the way they all dress.

[yea' date= uhh' date=' you wont be in the game after you do it once. you'll be outside, and in considerable pain.[/quote']Okay I just told you i do it as much as possible and I haven't been assaulted once. Hitting is against the rules at my cardroom, but slowrolling, (thank god) is not.

Hey Royal,I'm generally in agreement with you on gamesmanship, but only to a certain extent. I think at the highest level of anything, the pressure to succeed and be great is so intense that it's perfectly fine for someone to be excited and celebrate their own feats as much as the spectators watching them. The problem is when people lose perspective of what's actually impressive.Barry Bonds (love him or hate him) hitting a mammoth 550-foot home run and walking halfway down the first base line to watch it...I like itJoe Schmo linebacker missing his responsibility, but turning around and making a tackle 25 yards downfield and then jumping and yelling...I don't.

I got slowrolled At Bellagio last week!Not like anyone cares, but I figured Id post it anyway :club:
So, this guy slowly turned his cards over after beating you, at what you thought was the winning hand.He didnt have the nuts, so basically in my opinion you need to start taking down pots as the winner, and you'll have less complications.