is barry greenstein jewish?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His religious beliefs aren't exactly there. He and Daniel have argued about this before if I am not mistaken, I think he's one of the people who don't have a problem if people have Religious beliefs but I don't think he has them himself.I know that's how Ferguson is, I believe BG is the same way... Don't quote me ofcourse.

Barry has to one of the most Jewish looking guys I've ever seen( and trust me, I've met a lot of jewish people and am friends with a lot of jewish people), now that doesn't mean that he is a practicing jew. I'm not completely sure what your bet is aobut. Is it does he go to services a couple times a month, or is his background jewish?

Is this a jopke? How could a guy look like him and have the last name like GREENSTEIN NOT be Jewish? Might not practice it but I definitely gaurentee he was born into the Hebrew nation

Is this a jopke? How could a guy look like him and have the last name like GREENSTEIN NOT be Jewish? Might not practice it but I definitely gaurentee he was born into the Hebrew nation

Is this a jopke? How could a guy look like him and have the last name like GREENSTEIN NOT be Jewish? Might not practice it but I definitely gaurentee he was born into the Hebrew nationCould have taken his husbands name.

I believe that the bet will have to be nullified. Barry Greenstein most likely comes from a Jewish heritage, and was born a jew. I have heard that he now is an atheist, which means he is no longer a practicing Jew.

hes most certainly ethnically jewishim jewish and he looks like the jewiest of jews. he could easily be a hassid in new york by his looksbut just like me he was born jewish but doesnt practice any religion at all anymore.

Judaism has an unusual religious/cultural configuration. It is a designation that can have a distinctly religious meaning, as well as a (sometimes unrelated) distinctly cultural/ethnic meaning. Anyone of Jewish heritage (and there are rules to how this is determined) is ethnically a Jew. But that has no relation to their practice of Judaism as a religion.So, for Greenstein (and the fact that someone bet someone else that a guy with the last name of Greenstein was NOT Jewish -- well, let's just say that's the very definition of sucker bet), he is absolutely culturally and ethnically Jewish, but is not a religious/practicing Jew in the other sense.My point (which others have certainly made also) is that it is possible to be a Jew by heritage, but have no interest or belief in the religious practice.

Judaism has an unusual religious/cultural configuration. It is a designation that can have a distinctly religious meaning, as well as a (sometimes unrelated) distinctly cultural/ethnic meaning. Anyone of Jewish heritage (and there are rules to how this is determined) is ethnically a Jew. But that has no relation to their practice of Judaism as a religion.So, for Greenstein (and the fact that someone bet someone else that a guy with the last name of Greenstein was NOT Jewish -- well, let's just say that's the very definition of sucker bet), he is absolutely culturally and ethnically Jewish, but is not a religious/practicing Jew in the other sense.My point (which others have certainly made also) is that it is possible to be a Jew by heritage, but have no interest or belief in the religious practice.

...it's a well documented fact that he's a practicing Vampire!(Haaaaaaaargh!)As for that logo contest...what a great prize! I'd wager my own money I'd have beaten Danny Boy in more challenges than he beat me! Too bad I didn't have the time to create a winner!Next challenge...I'm in!~Lance

barry is jewish, and it doesnt matter if he's an atheist or not. i am an atheist jew, and its perfectly fine. the only thing Jews are expected to believe is that there is not MORE than one god. you can believe in god, no gods, negative 6 gods, but not more than one.it doesnt matter, if your mom is jewish, then you are jewish. beliefs don't affect judaism. you win the bet.

Is this a jopke? How could a guy look like him and have the last name like GREENSTEIN NOT be Jewish? Might not practice it but I definitely gaurentee he was born into the Hebrew nationCould have taken his husbands name.
Muwhahahaha

Judaism is a religion. It's not a race. If you do not believe in a God or Gods...you are NOT Jewish. You act like if my mother is baptist...I'm bastist...and my opinions and beliefs chan't change things. How silly.Please separate religion from bloodline. Politics and religion are very much alike.They both crave power and money.Nuff said.~Lance

"Baptist" isn't used to refer to an ethnic group; Jewish is. It's the only term I can think of that has this dual religious/ethnic connotation. I know people who do not practice Judaism, but were raised in the culture and consider themselves 100% Jewish.

His religious beliefs aren't exactly there. He and Daniel have argued about this before if I am not mistaken, I think he's one of the people who don't have a problem if people have Religious beliefs but I don't think he has them himself.I know that's how Ferguson is, I believe BG is the same way... Don't quote me ofcourse.
What? Ferguson has no religious beliefs?His nickname just got like 100x better!Edit: If Greenstein is Jewish does that mean he doesn't believe in Ferguson?

Greenstein is a very Jewish name. William Cohen and Caspar Weinberger were both Secretaries of Defense, both are very Jewish last names and it is a documented fact that both were not Jewish.Here is how that came about. In western societies last names are inherited paternally whereas Judasim is inherited maternally.If your catholic mom married Jewish mr. Greenstein. You're last name is Greenstein but you are not Jewish (according to Judaic law).All we know about barry is his last name is of Jewish heritage.

Good List, question is verification of the sources.Poker:Mickey Appleman, poker champion (4 WSOP bracelets) Lyle Berman, poker player & business executive (3 WSOP bracelets) Barry Greenstein, poker player & philanthropist (1 WSOP braclet) Perry Green, poker player (3 WSOP bracelets) Jay Heimowitz, poker player (6 WSOP bracelets) Howard Lederer & Annie Duke, poker players (2 & 1 WSOP bracelets) (unconfirmed) David Sklansky, poker player & author (3 WSOP bracelets) (unconfirmed) Jack Straus, poker player (2 WSOP bracelets, 1 championship) Stu Ungar, poker player (5 WSOP bracelets, 3 championships) Mike "The Mouth" Matusow, poker player (2 WSOP bracelets)