• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thx...glad I haven't lost my mind :-)
No prob. hey. u said ur a design director.. is it graphic, web, industrial, engineering, video, architecture...??
My job revolves around ochestrating and managing marketing design project for our clients who are typically fortune 500 companies. So my expertise is in print marketing campaigns, web developement design campaigns, and we also handle a great deal of rebranding projects.Unfortunately a lot of my day is spent doing business developement and project management and very little actual creative design.I would LOVE to get involved with some of the more exciting forms of Design...but this job pays the bills well and I own 20% of the company :-) in a nutshell...my job is on the boring practical end of the graphic design career scale. :club:

Here's my input...Most design projects start with a set requirements, goals and objectives - essentially something to measure whether or not the project was successful or not. This project didn't have any of those... at least nothing set in stone. Which makes "contests" such as this really tough.Each designer came up (or didn't come up) with his/her own set of requirements, goals and objectives which might or might not be in line with what DN himself wants to accomplish.Without a way to measure a project you will never know if it was successful. Successful being different from cool or what you like. A design can be really cool but, it just doesn't perform to all the tasks that maybe it needs to.Essentially what I'm saying is that it would be nice if DN & a Design team came up with a list of objectives, requirements and goals that best fit where he wants to go. We then take each individual logo and measure those objectives to that. What this does is take out all "emotional" decision making and lies purely on "facts", this accomplishes goal A and goal B therefore it is better than something that just accomplished A.It would be nice if then there were a list of finalist that DN & Team gave feedback on and each designer would then make a round of revisions and present on a level playing field. (i.e. every designer show the logo in color and black and white with 3 different preset applications - shirt, cards, website, ect.)Then after the final presentations are made DN & Team would make the final decision with help from the FCP members.and I'm spent...

I am undecided as to whether having posted your logos already is an advantage or disadvantage (or neither). I submitted 3 logos (my biased opinion is that they are pretty good!) but have opted not to post them for public viewing yet. I guess it depends whether Daniel/the FCP crew is influenced by the preliminary opinions on this thread in choosing the finalists. I would hope not. I think I'm gonna stick with my gut and just wait to see if I am chosen as a finalist without revealing anything.Thoughts?
Posting them up early has no effect on the judges, IMO. But, it's a chance for peer review. This is important and was the primary reason for me posting my logos. Also, if it is going to turn into a branding war, then impressions count. I will not post the logo just to create impressions though.In any case, I think you're doing the right thing.As an aside, my focus on the peers at FCP led my logo considerations, and really did not think enough of what Daniel would want. I think others made this error too. But, here I'm on specualtive ground since DN has been pretty silent.
Here's my input.......and I'm spent...
Great post! I see your point, but imo, this is a first logo contest (even though FCP has had a logo for a while). I expect the logo to evolve and change and IMPROVE over the next year or even sooner. What you asked for requires more direction and focus, and frankly, there's a lot going on... so I'm just glad that the push for a logo was made. Esp, in time for WSOP and maybe even the consumer show. Such a plan should be made for the next logo design or revamp.but, I have a feeling that FCP shirts will be distributed in the hallways of the Rio Hotel.btw, I spent 2 years in Colorado and loved it. NO GOOD poker there though except the hundreds of home games.
I am undecided as to whether having posted your logos already is an advantage or disadvantage (or neither). I submitted 3 logos (my biased opinion is that they are pretty good!) but have opted not to post them for public viewing yet. I guess it depends whether Daniel/the FCP crew is influenced by the preliminary opinions on this thread in choosing the finalists. I would hope not. I think I'm gonna stick with my gut and just wait to see if I am chosen as a finalist without revealing anything.Thoughts?
Posting them up early has no effect on the judges, IMO. But, it's a chance for peer review. This is important and was the primary reason for me posting my logos. Also, if it is going to turn into a branding war, then impressions count. I will not post the logo just to create impressions though.In any case, I think you're doing the right thing.As an aside, my focus on the peers at FCP led my logo considerations, and really did not think enough of what Daniel would want. I think others made this error too. But, here I'm on specualtive ground since DN has been pretty silent.
Yeah. I guess if one of my logos is not selected as a finalist then it is a moot point. While I have enjoyed viewing some of the excellent designs, my way is "fun" too. I think that the forum will like seeing some stuff they haven't seen yet in the finalist pool. There are probably more logos we haven't seen than the total that have already been posted.

people are still concerned about this.so, let me ask the following underlying questions:What are the goals of the logo? And what method will help us best select the logo that achieves those goals?at this point it might be best for me not to talk. I have thought out ideas on this but feel I have said enough. Earlier I would have asked the question, "What means will achieve the best logo?", and DN's plan of a Vegas prize + a few grand + priceless experience was a very good answer. I hope we can come up with good answers for the two questions I posed.

Hey guys, I still cant get the pics for my logo to show up...if someone wanted to be REALLY nice, could they possibly just copy the links into a post of their own, title it "Supermoves logos" and make them show up...thanks a lot to everyone for helping with this...

Yeah. I guess if one of my logos is not selected as a finalist then it is a moot point. While I have enjoyed viewing some of the excellent designs, my way is "fun" too. I think that the forum will like seeing some stuff they haven't seen yet in the finalist pool. There are probably more logos we haven't seen than the total that have already been posted.
I totally agree with you here. The suprise factor can have more impact than any branding you accomplish.But, really, the goal is let the best logo for FCP get selected. We will all get bummed if we don't win, but honestly, none of our chances were that superb anyway, so I placed my hopes in the realistic expectation of getting a good logo that I'm willing to buy and wear.That's the way it always is with any of these t-shirt type things. And I've been through a lot of them over the last 12 years. This is one of the few times though that I did zero of the design work outside of verbal and written input. In hindsight, I kinda wish I had spent some 10-20 hrs on a logo design, but I just didn't have time.I listed my favorite for a t-shirt and it wasn't my design. It is something like what I would have created. My logos have always tended to be font heavy and this is really due to my skill set.
Hey guys, I still cant get the pics for my logo to show up...if someone wanted to be REALLY nice, could they possibly just copy the links into a post of their own, title it "Supermoves logos" and make them show up...thanks a lot to everyone for helping with this...
supermoves.jpgI think it is your host. You can't link that way and need to just have the URLs on you post and people can look it up.http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=16...4GWj7p&i=103322http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=16...4GWj7p&i=103323http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=16...4GWj7p&i=103324

Ok so I've re-thought this and I think the best solution would be to have Daniel, Travis, Chris & maybe a few other "closer" people to FCP have a discussion regarding the Logo rather than a large public vote.Us FCP Members don't actually know what the goals and ideas behind having a logo mean to Daniel, he could be starting a new Poker Gaming Site through FCP, or other larger plans that require certain features in the logo.Cheers,Gov

I think someone should quickly whip up a logo of cards covered in ice, with DN shivering in the background... with his run of cold cards, it would be sure to hit close to home and win something :club:

I definitely think the logo will be modified over the years, as most do. Yeah, I know I was asking a lot and quite frankly I don't think DN himself really knows exactly what he wants right now. So what better way to figure it out other than to have a contest and then re-evaluate. It's like a big brainstorm session. All I can really tell you is the goal I made up when I was designing, which was:1.) Effectively represent FCP in a timeless fashion that is both functional, versatile.One of my main requirements was that I wanted the logo to be very scaleable which meant that it had to be simple. I deal with logos a lot in the web world and most people don't think of how good (mostly bad) their logo looks when you shrink it down to fit on a web site. I deal with 72-dpi and most print is 300-dpi. That's a big difference. So with that in mind I wanted to make sure what my logo would fit effectively on his current website. I also wanted to know how it would look so that I knew it looked good. This way DN wouldn't have to spend more money to change his website to look more like his logo. If the logo looked good on the web I knew it would look good on just about any medium. Another requirement was that I wanted the logo to be able to stand alone at some point with out the help of text. Much like Nike for example.So in order to do that it had to be a graphic logo. I came up with the spade being the all powerful trump suit for the "poker" element, mixed with a fist for the "full contact" aspect. It's very simple but, also is effective. And still accomplishes my goal.I hope that helps.=============================There are some really great games in CO (Denver & Vail) I guess you just have to know the right people. I know a great card room in Denver and I run a sweet game in the Mountains.=============================

Poglio, did you submit any other logos? or just the one cause I'd like to see more, I have to admit, I really like yours, I had the same idea of the fist thing coming from either a card or a spade, but thought it was too generic, a bit easy, and a bit tacky, but I really think you've made it work...

Ok so I've re-thought this and I think the best solution would be to have Daniel, Travis, Chris & maybe a few other "closer" people to FCP have a discussion regarding the Logo rather than a large public vote.Us FCP Members don't actually know what the goals and ideas behind having a logo mean to Daniel, he could be starting a new Poker Gaming Site through FCP, or other larger plans that require certain features in the logo.Cheers,Gov
ditto

Ya, its clear that not everyone knows about the intriacies of logo design..hehe. There are some logos here that are REALLY great on a hat or a shirt, or on the website...but when you scale them down to a business card, they will look like crap cause they are so detailed...its really hard to come up with a scalable design that will look REALLY good...

That's where the talk of the picking multiple winners is coming from...I notice that DN said a contest for a "loyal" members, I wonder if he has some sort of definition for this and whether it is actually a restriction... i.e. number of posts... date joined... it'd be interesting if he came out and said ok, all submissions from people who just logged on are beautiful but not eligible.I kind of hope he does for the way you're cranking your horn what with your international awards and what not...

So really youre just afraid to have them judged by us...youre afraid they might not stand up the rest of our quality logos...youre just a big CHICKEN...you and all your awards can just go jump off a bridge!! haha just kiddin...seriously though, lets us see, let us see...LOL...contest is over, we cant copy them..lol

That's where the talk of the picking multiple winners is coming from...I notice that DN said a contest for a "loyal" members, I wonder if he has some sort of definition for this and whether it is actually a restriction... i.e. number of posts... date joined... it'd be interesting if he came out and said ok, all submissions from people who just logged on are beautiful but not eligible.I kind of hope he does for the way you're cranking your horn what with your international awards and what not...
ROTF LMAO!!
I kind of hope he does for the way you're cranking your horn what with your international awards and what not...
I know. That post kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Basically said, "I am a highly decorated professional design snob who doesn't agree with logo contests but I compromised my principles to win a free trip to Vegas."I will say, however, that I never agreed with the forum elitists that think that "newbies" should be excluded from things like the logo contest and the fantasy pool just because they haven't spent hours typing about Krablar and whether they'd "hit" Annie Duke.