grinding on ps - building bankroll

Just a quick question:I'm about to deposit some money on PS, $150-200 or so... this isn't my whole bankroll or my life savings or anything like that (otherwise I'm aware of the correlation between preferred stakes and BR), but it's all I wanna throw online at the time.To build up my bankroll on there off just that deposit, I'm willing to grind for a whiiiiile... I'm not looking to yknow, 'get rich quick" or anything like that.Typically, live I play 1-2 or 2-4 NL (or so), and I'm very confident in my ability, so that's not the issue... buuuuut I'm only putting a small amount online for now and want to make sure I get the most of it. I play mostly NLHE, but am very comfortable in limit, and only slightly less comfortable in omaha / 8, and stud / 8.Any recommendations as far as what game/stakes I should primarily play on Stars just to grind my bankroll up, slowly but surely? I'm leaning towards 1/2 LHE... though I know the competition in the omaha and stud games is supposedly horrendous on PS, as opposed to those playing hold 'em, who are just plain bad.Thanks in advance,Aaron K

By the way... thanks in advance for any replies. I'm by no means new ot poker, but I am fairly new to online play and not afraid to admit it... never been ashamed to ask for advice :-) I'll be depositing more when I decide the time's right whether I win or lose with this $200 or so, but again I just wanna make the most out of this for the next few weeks.And Nick, is it safe to assume you meant limit?

the .25/.5 tables are easy money. I would play those till you get about $350-$400 then play the $.5/$1 6-max tables and those are where you make the some good money. So many calling stations it isnt funny. Thats what i did.

.05/.10 NL? Isn't the max buy-in on that $10...? I realllly don't know about that being worth it. Again, this is far from my entire BR, and I don't think .05/.10 would be making the most of anything... if it was my entire BR, I'd agree wholeheartedly.Just to give an idea, I'm holding about $1400-1500 total JUST to play poker with this summer....25/.50 limit makes a lil more sense to me... I mean, not that it's not still micro and loose as hell, but I could definitely see more potential there..25/.50 or .50/1 is prolly what I'm leanin' towards, but believe me just because I disagree with someone doesn't mean I won't take their opinion seriously... love to hear what anyone's got say on this.Thanks all.

.05/.10 NL? Isn't the max buy-in on that $10...? I realllly don't know about that being worth it. Again, this is far from my entire BR, and I don't think .05/.10 would be making the most of anything... if it was my entire BR, I'd agree wholeheartedly.Just to give an idea, I'm holding about $1400-1500 total JUST to play poker with this summer....25/.50 limit makes a lil more sense to me... I mean, not that it's not still micro and loose as hell, but I could definitely see more potential there.
Ah, sorry, thought it was your roll. Yeah, you could do .25/.50 or .5/1 LHE.If you're looking for NL, .10/.25 would work for you. .25/.50 would work, but you'd have to be willing to lose that $200 fairly quickly if you hit a downswing.

i find the easiest way to grind out money on p stars is the 5 dollar and 10 dollar tounament sit and go'si usually start out with a minimum 50 dollar deposit and go from there.if you play alot of tourneys, it really helps with getting some serious table time. Thats if your a tourney player.I find that it;s pretty easy getting wins at the 5 dollar table. Theres alot of crazy aggresive no experienced card players. Easy money.You build up to around a hunred or so bucks and then try your hand at the 20 or 30 dollars sit and go's to test your skills.If i get up to a 150 bucks I'll usually try a 50 dollar here and there and the pay offs are pretty damn good. Be warned, you really need to play your best game.If you start losing, go back to the 5 dollar tables and so on.I'm not saying thaat you'll make a fortune, but you'll get some great experience.Oh yeah, and if you find that the cards just simply arent coming for you, try taking your pants off for good luck.Thats the great thing about internet poker, you can do it naked.The Rage :twisted:

hahaha... I will say usually when my pants are off I've already been fairly lucky for the night... but that's an interesting perspective you got there.The low buy-in SnG's are somewhat easy to win, agreed, but the other factor is I just plain don't enjoy them... and I do want to have fun, after all. However I'll probably mix in a few of those here and there.Looks like .25/.50 or .50/1.00 limit is the idea here... anyone familiar with the omaha or stud games?Thanks again!

If you're only playing for a few weeks, don't listen to the losers about "bankroll management." It absolutely doesn't apply. You could play perfect 1/2 Limit, though, and go completely bust. That being said, I'd give it a shot if you're used to those stakes and you want to make a few bucks. As long as you understand it's increasing your RiskOfRuin substantially, play whatever you like. Ice

I agree. If your bankroll is over $1,000 then go for the 1/2 game. 100BB isn't much of a cushion though so don't be surprised if you lose that $200 due to bad luck alone.Personally, I would sit at the .25/.50 game and grind out $200 and then move up to the .50/1 game and grind out another $400 and THEN try my hand at 1/2.

I get the general idea from your posts that you are only putting in 200 so you can get a feel for how your play is online and if you can make good money as opposed to live play. With that said, if you only deposit 200 and play over that small online bankroll in limits, you won't get an idea for that, because you could easily lose that money due to bad variance, or even if you get a good upswing, that doesn't really say anything. However, I am of the opinion that you can get a feel for whether you are winning just in a day, it is really hard to have a losing day if you are playing over 2,000 hands a day.I would recommend putting most of your bankroll on pokerstars. There's simply not a good reason not to. I think you said you had about 1500 working bankroll, that's about where I'm at. I'm very cautious with my bankroll so right now I'm just grinding out the .50/1 tables (100NL) Compared with what you could do with that bankroll live, you will make much more online.

I'm curious as I just deposited $500 on Stars pretty recently. For the most part are the .50/1 LHE tables a lot softer than the 1/2? I have been playing 1/2 for the most part but if the lower limit is a lot softer I might switch. Seems to be some ok players at the 1/2 versus some other sites.

My suggestion is to treat your online bankroll as it's own bankroll, at least initially. The last thing you want is to get a cold run of cards and bust you out early. That will be a pretty disappointing introduction to online poker. The max i'd suggest is .50/1 LHE to get you some relatively safe experience. Get a few thousand hands under your belt and re-evalutate your position then.

A lot of great suggestions...Looks like for a while it makes sense for me to stick with the .25/.50 LHE, and once i grind out another couple hundred go up to the .50/1.00, and just go on from there accordingly. I'll of course play the other games, but only after I get my BR on there up.Thanks everybody for the input!