Craigslist Scammer?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My concern: he knows my address now, it was on the title. I've got a wife and kids.
Yikes, this one went a bit South, didn't it.I wouldn't be too worried. I think just stay strong, don't give an inch, and you'll be okay. Just keep referring to a lawyer and eventually they'll get bored / injured in a weight-lifting accident.
Yikes, this one went a bit South, didn't it.I wouldn't be too worried. I think just stay strong, don't give an inch, and you'll be okay. Just keep referring to a lawyer and eventually they'll get bored / injured in a weight-lifting accident.
Yeah, I'm trying to not worry too much about the personal confrontation thing; crooks like this are small-time because they don't have the courage to actually commit real crimes. Still......I can't completely forget the possibility. I called the cops last night to give them the guy's information, and they said the same thing -- this rarely escalates into physical violence.Who knows, maybe the car really did break down. It's got 125K miles on it, and always seemed to need some repair, but I had fixed all known defects in the last month and some that I probably didn't need to fix, so it would be odd if it broke down in the first 4 hours of driving. It has always run great; the repairs have always been in non-critical areas.
Yeah, I'm trying to not worry too much about the personal confrontation thing; crooks like this are small-time because they don't have the courage to actually commit real crimes. Still......I can't completely forget the possibility. I called the cops last night to give them the guy's information, and they said the same thing -- this rarely escalates into physical violence.Who knows, maybe the car really did break down. It's got 125K miles on it, and always seemed to need some repair, but I had fixed all known defects in the last month and some that I probably didn't need to fix, so it would be odd if it broke down in the first 4 hours of driving. It has always run great; the repairs have always been in non-critical areas.
Good idea to call the cops.To give them even the slightest benefit of the doubt, maybe they, in all their wisdom, decided to take the car on the highway and gun it up to 120mph, causing it to break down, or something like that.

now in defense of the retard guido scammers (who at this point remain inexplicably unraped), I sold a car I used to own recently, and on my way home from work as was pulling onto my street to go to my house where the buyer was headed to pick up the car, the muffler fell off the back. so while it is highly unlikely, very implausible, and is still most likely a scam, there is the possibility that the car really did break down and they're just stupid.

unless these guys just wanted a good excuse to perform their first murder, this is the worst scam of all time.
Unfortunately, the crappiness of a scam doesn't preclude it from actually being a scam.
unless these guys just wanted a good excuse to perform their first murder, this is the worst scam of all time.
That's what's so confusing about it... this couldn't possibly work often enough to be profitable, right? Am I just reading too much into the behaviors of a weird person?
Even if it 'works' it isn't profitable. I mean, I'm failing to see how they would make money off of this.
I am going to have to send him some money to make this right or else buy the car back.
Basically from his perspective there are three possible outcomes:1) He gets his guy to send him "repair" money. That's pure profit when he turns around and sells the car for whatever he bought it for.2) The guy buys the car back from him in which case he's only out his time.3) The guy isn't a sucker and he gets nothing, in which case he turns around and sells the car anyway and he's still only out his time.Regardless, it seems to be a lot of hassle for not a lot of money.
Add in the possibility of him legitimately buying a lemon, and the volatility of used car prices, and this becomes an unprofitable 'scam' really fast.
Yeah, one of my early thoughts was someone running a program on Craigslist to look for a difference between cities, a Craigslist Arbitrage thing. But I pulled up listings for the two cities, and there are more listed in Chicago and they are cheaper. So I'm not even sure he could get the money back for it down there.
How much does he want back for repairs?Doesn't Murphy's Law cover this.
He didn't ask for any specific amount, he just promised that he would call back the next day, which he didn't. Basically he told me it's a law I have to make it right by paying for the repairs or else buy the car back, since it occurred within 24 hours. He's completely wrong on that, of course. I'm hoping the fact that him and his buddy are on video at the bank will convince him it's time to move on to the next scam, because this one is going nowhere.
you're not really doing a very good job of convincing me to use craiglist for anything ever
I've used Craigslist maybe 50 times for small ticket items and had no trouble. I'm pretty sure the buyers are small time scammers. Whatever. The cash is in the bank and the deal is done.
  • 3 weeks later...

It's been 3 weeks now and I haven't heard another word, so I guess they are done. It's so weird because it's just too stupid to believe. And why didn't they back out when I said I'd meet them at the bank if they are so afraid of banks? I still think about it because it is so weird, but it appears to be over.

I heard of this scam...is quite popular....so what have you done next?
I'm not even sure I know what the scam is, so I haven't done anything else. It seems to be done.