Random News Observations

Looks like Canada might not be interested in 'saving the environment' as much as they claimed.Cliffs: Canada will likely quit Kyoto Protocol and save $6.7 billion in fines.
Before I saw this, I had been thinking of making a post about how Canada is the only country moving in the right direction anymore. Europe is hosed, the US is hosed; meanwhile, for at least 5 years, probably longer, Canada has been increasing their freedom. They've passed us in the Index of Economic Freedom. I've seen several stories lately where they've opened up trade and given their citizens more rights. When the US dollar collapses, maybe the world will move to the Canadian Queenie or Hockie or whatever they use.
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The most interesting thing about the worlds largest beaver dam is that it was discovered via Google Earth and some guy trekked out there to see it IRL and was the first person to ever set foot in that

Beware of overcharging someone. Thats the #1 lesson learned from the Zimmerman case. He was guilty of avoidable behavior that ultimately culminated in a fatality- manslaughter- but he was not guilty

You should've tried to get on the jury and convince the rest that he was not guilty.

Posted Images

President Bush did everything to get the results that the middle east is realizing now, the rising up of the populace to demand freedom. something you guys swore he failed at.
Like you're saying about Libya, it remains to be seen if Arab Spring is a good thing for Middle East freedom or the United States. I mean, Bush's goal wasn't simply political unrest.

Meanwhile in the US congress has passed a law that would:1) Explicitly authorize the federal government to indefinitely imprison without charge or trial American citizens and others picked up inside and outside the United States;(2) Mandate military detention of some civilians who would otherwise be outside of military control, including civilians picked up within the United States itself; and(3) Transfer to the Department of Defense core prosecutorial, investigative, law enforcement, penal, and custodial authority and responsibility now held by the Department of Justice.So if Obama, or the next president, or a federal DA, or a top military commander decides that you are a terrorist, using the SPLC definition of "terrorist" -- which includes Ron Paul, gun owners, and anyone who wants a smaller government -- then you go to jail, indefinitely, without a trial. Presumably the SC will rule this one unconstitutional, but seeing as how they consider growing a plant in your back yard for your own purposes "interstate commerce", I'd hate to base my freedom on their ability to use words to mean what they mean.In other news, Congress is debating another law that would allow corporations to completely shut down whatever website they want, without a trial or due process, based on an *accusation* of copyright infringement. If you post a video of a clip from a TV show to your Facebook page, and Facebook thinks it is fair use, the owner of the TV show could shut down ALL of Facebook -- not just your account, but all of it -- based strictly on the show's owner's interpretation of the law.Hope and change, baby, hope and change.

In other news, Congress is debating another law that would allow corporations to completely shut down whatever website they want, without a trial or due process, based on an *accusation* of copyright infringement. If you post a video of a clip from a TV show to your Facebook page, and Facebook thinks it is fair use, the owner of the TV show could shut down ALL of Facebook -- not just your account, but all of it -- based strictly on the show's owner's interpretation of the law.Hope and change, baby, hope and change.
You're talking about SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_ActIt's a horrible law that isn't going to pass since a combination of grass roots opposition and big money lobbying from the Googles and Yahoos will keep it from passing. That doesn't mean that whatever compromise law is passed won't be bad though.
Like you're saying about Libya, it remains to be seen if Arab Spring is a good thing for Middle East freedom or the United States. I mean, Bush's goal wasn't simply political unrest.
So if things go bad, you think the left will be willing to grant Bush full credit, but if things go good we should give President Obama the credit?Giving the people a chance at freedom, is a good goal. The people refusing to pay the price of effort and commitment shouldn't fall on anyone but themselves.
So if things go bad, you think the left will be willing to grant Bush full credit, but if things go good we should give President Obama the credit?
I'm sure the political parties will rush to blame their opposition and credit themselves. Their propaganda isn't important to me.
Giving the people a chance at freedom, is a good goal. The people refusing to pay the price of effort and commitment shouldn't fall on anyone but themselves.
Are we judging American Middle East policy by results or not? If all of the Middle East fall under the control of populist (but oppressive) Islamic factions, I think that's a pretty hollow success.

Your sunday reading:Is the mail necessary:http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/sunday-r...wanted=2&hp(I say an overwhelming "No" and am very supportive of a move toward a much more minimalist Post Office).20-30% of medicare is waste:http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/health/p...rss&emc=rss(From the guy who was in charge and became extremely frustrated in the ability to make changes. We need more guys like him in charge and less like those who opposed him).

If 20-30% of it is waste, and they account for 50% of health care spending, that means US health care costs would immediately drop 10% by privatizing it -- and that's not counting for the fact that 1) those programs are inflationary because they cause price insensitivity, and 2) it would force more competition, lowering prices further.So what's our govt's solution? Turn MORE of it over to govt, of course.Sigh.
Your sunday reading:Is the mail necessary:http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/sunday-r...wanted=2&hp(I say an overwhelming "No" and am very supportive of a move toward a much more minimalist Post Office).20-30% of medicare is waste:http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/health/p...rss&emc=rss(From the guy who was in charge and became extremely frustrated in the ability to make changes. We need more guys like him in charge and less like those who opposed him).
I liked both of these articles, even though the biased author couldn't hide the obvious conclusion in the health one.LLY is going to be fully conservative within 27 months.
He's far too rational to ever be "fully conservative."
I think you got that backward. I used to be full lefty, I once gave money to a group supporting socialized medicine, because you know, we should all care for each other and be good people and stuff.It's when I listened to my rational brain that I left childish ideas behind. I don't consider myself fully conservative, though, so I don't completely disagree with you.
If 20-30% of it is waste, and they account for 50% of health care spending, that means US health care costs would immediately drop 10% by privatizing it -- and that's not counting for the fact that 1) those programs are inflationary because they cause price insensitivity, and 2) it would force more competition, lowering prices further.So what's our govt's solution? Turn MORE of it over to govt, of course.Sigh.
Not necessarily. Contending theories suggest that search frictions in insurance markets cause greater costs to be incurred by the clients and the service providers. Governments can help overcome some of the costs by reducing search frictions, and allow private insurers to cater for the tail-ends of the client distribution.Don't buy too much into the simplistic story of 'free-market' improving costs in healthcare:http://theincidentaleconomist.com/wordpres...ictions-part-1/http://www.aeaweb.org/articles.php?doi=10..../aer.101.5.1842
AbstractWe analyze the effect of search frictions in the market for commercial health insurance. Frictions increase insurance premiums (enough to transfer 13.2 percent of consumer surplus from fully insured employer groups to insurers—approximately $34.4 billion in 1997); and increase insurance turnover (by 64 percent for the average policy). This rent transfer harms consumers and—when combined with heightened turnover—reduces incentives to invest in future health. We also find that a publicly financed insurance option can improve the efficiency of private insurance markets by reducing search friction induced distortions in pricing and marketing efforts
I think you got that backward. I used to be full lefty, I once gave money to a group supporting socialized medicine, because you know, we should all care for each other and be good people and stuff.It's when I listened to my rational brain that I left childish ideas behind. I don't consider myself fully conservative, though, so I don't completely disagree with you.
Just wanna point out that you called caring for others and being a good person childish ideas, or at least you unintentionally implied it. But my real point, which you did agree with, was that being "fully conservative" or "fully liberal" are each somewhat irrational. I also doubt that LLY will ever be very politically conservative at all though, for numerous reasons.
Before I saw this, I had been thinking of making a post about how Canada is the only country moving in the right direction anymore. Europe is hosed, the US is hosed; meanwhile, for at least 5 years, probably longer, Canada has been increasing their freedom. They've passed us in the Index of Economic Freedom. I've seen several stories lately where they've opened up trade and given their citizens more rights. When the US dollar collapses, maybe the world will move to the Canadian Queenie or Hockie or whatever they use.
Canada's money is way ahead of the US for the main reason that we are doing away with low-dollar denomination bills. We no longer produce $1 or $2 bills, and are discussing getting rid of the penny and producing a $5 coin. All very smart, obvious solutions that everyone except strippers and old people like.Our $1 coin is called the loonie, because it has a picture of a loon on it. So what did we decide to call the $2 coin? A 'toonie' of course. Seriously!
Canada's money is way ahead of the US for the main reason that we are doing away with low-dollar denomination bills. We no longer produce $1 or $2 bills, and are discussing getting rid of the penny and producing a $5 coin. All very smart, obvious solutions that everyone except strippers and old people like.Our $1 coin is called the loonie, because it has a picture of a loon on it. So what did we decide to call the $2 coin? A 'toonie' of course. Seriously!
back in the mid 90's i used to play ball up in Canada quite a bit, back then the exchange rate was roughly .60 / .65 to the $1. People used to comment on how cheap things were but i never found that. I always used to keep change in my ball bag and cash in my pocket...everything was 5 bucks, water 5 and change in bag, beer 5 bucks change in bag, gum, peameal, hotdog...5 bucks. I quit playing ball and gave my old bag to my son...i found a good 100 bucks in loonies and toonies in of course!!!
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1211/69791.html
Jon Huntsman: I won’t kiss Trump’s ringBy MJ LEE | 12/5/11 11:08 AM EST Some Republican presidential candidates may be vying for Donald Trump’s endorsement. But not Jon Huntsman, who says he refuses to “kiss his ring,” or any other part of Trump’s anatomy, for that matter. “I’m not going to kiss his ring and I’m not going to kiss any other part of his anatomy,” Huntsman said on Fox News Monday morning. “This is exactly what is wrong with politics. It’s show business over substance.”Huntsman added about the real estate mogul: “If he had any courage at all, he would be running for president of the United States of America instead of manipulating the process form the outside.”Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1211/...l#ixzz1fhMteTKf
Not necessarily. Contending theories suggest that search frictions in insurance markets cause greater costs to be incurred by the clients and the service providers. Governments can help overcome some of the costs by reducing search frictions, and allow private insurers to cater for the tail-ends of the client distribution.
Assuming that bureaucrats are wise, benevolent, and have no conflicts of interest, and the government is efficient. Also, you have to assume that "choice of customizable products" has no value.So if you make all those assumptions, then yeah, having the govt pick insurance for you is a great idea.
Just wanna point out that you called caring for others and being a good person childish ideas, or at least you unintentionally implied it. But my real point, which you did agree with, was that being "fully conservative" or "fully liberal" are each somewhat irrational. I also doubt that LLY will ever be very politically conservative at all though, for numerous reasons.
Yeah, I considered re-wording it, but it was meant to be a semi-snarky post anyway. I certainly believe that we should care for those close to us if we are able.
so wait, why can't feldman expose the guy? couldn't he just, you know, say his name?
Have you seen Eyes Wide Shut? He can't say anything because his entire family will be murdered and he'll end up dying of a mysterious drug overdose.SPOILER ALERT!
You can lie to yourself all you want, but your basic misunderstanding of foreign policy isn't an excuse to continue your leftist revision of history and using your mental disorder that prevents you from seeing reality in order to continue your irrational "Bush is bad" mania that fills all your life.You should try to keep these silly notions confined to silly leftist propaganda sites, because in the real world, this kind of stupidity doesn't fly.
retardbirds.jpg