Random News Observations

That does bring up an interesting question- how many societies that devolved into fascism(as America is clearly doing) self-corrected, and how many had to be defeated in a war?
There's nothing wrong with certain types of Fascism. Italian Fascism is tremendous, as long as you can find the right benevolent dictator. What we have here in America is a bizarre sort of creeping, aggressive Orwellian type Fascism that does nothing but empower the totally wrong people. This what what happens when Democracy meets stupidity. Anti-Democracy theorists have always held out this sort of thing as the worst case scenario, but it's never really come into play until now. 400 years in the future, people will look back on present day America as a shining example of why Democracy cannot work in a capitalist society. An amazing thing about al; systems of government is that in time, they eventually (and inevitably) evolve/devolve into a parasite-like entity where the system itself ceases to benefit the people and takes on an existence that accomplishes nothing other than perpetuating its own existence, with no one individual being accountable for anything it does, at any step of the way.We're getting the government we deserve, though. No chance I'm having offspring in this country. Really scary to think what the United States looks like 50, 75, 100 years from now. My kids will be Austrian or Canadian or Argentinian. This country is just awful. The capitalist mindset is just as ruinous to certain necessary aspects of human spirit as communism is to opposite but equally important aspects of the human spirit.
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The most interesting thing about the worlds largest beaver dam is that it was discovered via Google Earth and some guy trekked out there to see it IRL and was the first person to ever set foot in that

Beware of overcharging someone. Thats the #1 lesson learned from the Zimmerman case. He was guilty of avoidable behavior that ultimately culminated in a fatality- manslaughter- but he was not guilty

You should've tried to get on the jury and convince the rest that he was not guilty.

Posted Images

We're getting the government we deserve, though. No chance I'm having offspring in this country. Really scary to think what the United States looks like 50, 75, 100 years from now. My kids will be Austrian or Canadian or Argentinian.
Nah. The overwhelming force of technology and progress will dominate over our crappy system of politics, and your kids and grandkids lives will be much better than your own (though, they may not appreciate it at the time).
NYT must read on Maliki and the future of Iraq.It's yet another fine example of why the NYT, despite its often absurd editorial page, is still the paper of record, and why the Right, who love to pretend (and sometimes actually think) there isn't a difference between reporting and editorializing, continue to make fools of themselves with their 'NYT is a liberal rag' mantra. The NYT's international reporting is the best in the world, and amongst American media no other news organization even sneaks into the picture for second place.
NYT must read on Maliki and the future of Iraq.It's yet another fine example of why the NYT, despite its often absurd editorial page, is still the paper of record, and why the Right, who love to pretend (and sometimes actually think) there isn't a difference between reporting and editorializing, continue to make fools of themselves with their 'NYT is a liberal rag' mantra. The NYT's international reporting is the best in the world, and amongst American media no other news organization even sneaks into the picture for second place.
Yes good post, and regional pushes for autonomy are creating tensions as well.http://www.chathamhouse.org/sites/default/...T1211p8Iraq.pdf
Nah. The overwhelming force of technology and progress will dominate over our crappy system of politics, and your kids and grandkids lives will be much better than your own (though, they may not appreciate it at the time).
First and foremost, the primary concern of human beings is food and water. After that, it's getting laid. Everything else we do is bullshit kabuki theater to avoid having to acquaint ourselves with the inevitability of death. Politics included.Dominating over other human beings is a 'reward' behavior, probably rooted in whatever evolutionary imperative exists in our brains to cause us to want sex. In time, science will figure all this out (the brain truly is the 'last frontier') In the meantime, we have systems of government populated by the wrong people. These people aren't serving the country. They are creating elaborate networks of bureaucracy, laws, etc that makes living miserable for anyone who's capable of thinking and seeing things as they actually are. The problem is, in the United States, we foster workers, not thinkers, so there just ain't enough folk to oppose what's happening.What will science and technology bring us? Better ways for governments to spy on us? They already have devices where they can see through walls, for christs sake. They have non-lethal weapons where they can influence crowds and herd them like cattle. Technology will answer a lot of the problems faced by the gravely impoverished, but we in the west have another set of problems. What is evolving in our systems of government is worse than the stuff we used to lampoon in the old soviet days.
First and foremost, the primary concern of human beings is food and water. After that, it's getting laid. Everything else we do is bullshit kabuki theater to avoid having to acquaint ourselves with the inevitability of death. Politics included.Dominating over other human beings is a 'reward' behavior, probably rooted in whatever evolutionary imperative exists in our brains to cause us to want sex. In time, science will figure all this out (the brain truly is the 'last frontier') In the meantime, we have systems of government populated by the wrong people. These people aren't serving the country. They are creating elaborate networks of bureaucracy, laws, etc that makes living miserable for anyone who's capable of thinking and seeing things as they actually are. The problem is, in the United States, we foster workers, not thinkers, so there just ain't enough folk to oppose what's happening.What will science and technology bring us? Better ways for governments to spy on us? They already have devices where they can see through walls, for christs sake. They have non-lethal weapons where they can influence crowds and herd them like cattle. Technology will answer a lot of the problems faced by the gravely impoverished, but we in the west have another set of problems. What is evolving in our systems of government is worse than the stuff we used to lampoon in the old soviet days.
While you are correct about all of this, I think the forces LLY mentioned are also very strong. Sure, it was recently revealed that the govt is tracking every keystroke on our smartphones, and when and where they occurred. And while that is shocking and horrible, basically, they are causing themselves to drown in data, and we are back to the anonymity of crowds. You have to be pretty nuts to stand out of that mountain of data. (Not that being nuts just on its own should bring the FBI to your door....). The technology that is ensnaring us also frees us, or at least anyone who cares enough to escape it. The reason is that bureaucrats and central planners are always a step behind. So yeah, the things you mention are not good and definitely things to fight against, but most people don't care because they are so insanely easy to avoid.
While you are correct about all of this, I think the forces LLY mentioned are also very strong. Sure, it was recently revealed that the govt is tracking every keystroke on our smartphones, and when and where they occurred. And while that is shocking and horrible, basically, they are causing themselves to drown in data, and we are back to the anonymity of crowds. You have to be pretty nuts to stand out of that mountain of data. (Not that being nuts just on its own should bring the FBI to your door....). The technology that is ensnaring us also frees us, or at least anyone who cares enough to escape it. The reason is that bureaucrats and central planners are always a step behind. So yeah, the things you mention are not good and definitely things to fight against, but most people don't care because they are so insanely easy to avoid.
OK Polllyanna.
OK Polllyanna.
Well, if you've read my posts you know I'm not a pollyanna toward govt intentions and ability to f with people. My point was just that it is an arms race, and people who are smart and aware will always be ahead of bureaucrats. Having said that, I don't think the govt should be abusing it's power on the dumb and clueless and unlikeable. That's a real problem that is getting worse, and something we should fight against at every step, because that, too, is a slippery slope. Anyone who is waiting until it personally affects them before they get upset is waiting until it is too late.Penn Gillette: "Democracy without individual rights is just ganging up on the weird kid. And I'm always the weird kid."
Pretty horrific, and pretty epic reporting.This is a good example of why something like the NYTimes is and always will be necessary, and why it's certainly worth while to pay for it.You don't see bloggers or even TV analysts sifting through the trash in Iraq to uncover the truth.
loooooolHow is this person in charge of anything? Seriously 1.) How did she ever get elected? 2.) How does she keep getting re-elected?
1. California2. San Francisco

I'm not sure what to think about this:Racial profiling as a myth?On the one hand, this seems like a reliable study, not some group trying to brush social problems under the rug.On the other hand, talk to any black person who drives in suburbia and see what they think.Could it be the statistics cover a very *specific* problem? Perhaps in poor neighborhoods blacks get pulled over at very low *rates* because there is actual crime and no time to harass innocent people, but in suburban neighborhoods blacks get pulled over at higher rates, so it averages out to no statistical difference? The blacks that I've talked about it to tend to be suburban types driving in suburban areas at night, which both here and in NJ is apparently against the law.Or is it just that it is always blamed on the DWB thing?I really don't know the answer to this one.....

I guess Bush wasn't really to blame for the looting of the museum in Iraq.Seems it is just an inevitable result of change
I don't think it's inevitable nor do I think this exonerates anyone (including any actual looter) from his role in similar events in Iraq. Why do you think it does?