Worst Earthquake Aid Ever

So a parent in my son's school wanted to help out in Haiti, so they took up a collection through the school.Did they collect money? No. Canned food? No. Clothes? Wrong again.They collected Silly Bands -- little rubber bands shaped like animals."Hey kids, I know you lost your house and family, and you have no food or water, so turn that frown upside-down: Silly Bands for everyone! Enjoy!"To add insult to injury, now they are having an ice cream party for everyone who contributed Silly Bands."Yeah, have fun binding stuff together, kids. We're getting out of this hellhole to go give our fat kids more ice cream!"

I hope someone threw away the Bandz and donated a dollar for each one collected, but I'm guessing probably not.

I hope someone threw away the Bandz and donated a dollar for each one collected, but I'm guessing probably not.
Great, that's what we need to teach the children around the world. When an American gets a cut, we just slap a dollar bill on it because THAT'S how we roll!You need to think before you post SB...
So a parent in my son's school wanted to help out in Haiti, so they took up a collection through the school.Did they collect money? No. Canned food? No. Clothes? Wrong again.They collected Silly Bands -- little rubber bands shaped like animals.
Maybe they wanted to get the actual kids involved in donating stuff rather than it be the parents of the kids. And maybe the idea of not having any toys is more relatable to kids than not having money. I don't know what the intentions of these parents were, but teaching kids to help the less fortunate wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
OutOnALimb.gif
(Your picture of someone "going out on a limb" didn't show up for me)Of course, while my comment was superficially obvious, the intention was structure the discussion a bit more. There are two distances that are implied in my statement: the distance between "Nothing and Band" and the distance between "Band and Useful." The discussion seem seems to be stating that the first distance is much smaller than the second distance. My (implied) statement, which is similar to yours is the following: does the relative distance of these two intervals important, or should we consider only the first distance and not compare it to the second?

I think my point is that if you ranked every product in the US for "suitability of giving to earthquake victims", Silly Bandz would probably be near the bottom 10. You could blindfold someone and take them to a random store and get something better. The only reason I can see to select them: kids that age have them all over their house plugging up vacuum cleaners, so it's better to give them to someone who doesn't have vacuum cleaners and can maybe burn them to heat their house.What's wrong with canned food? Coins?

Not Doing Anything < Donating Silly Bands < Donating Something Helpful
so donating silly bands is greater than not doing anything ... i call bullshitit is equal in nothingness except for you have a handful of crap in your hand and you feel good about givingdoesnt this go back to the dems way of thinking... " well, at least we tried, and thats what counts"what do they do with their portion of silly bands. why not get the kids to all piss into a container andship that off to em, is that greater than nothing and also greater than the silly bands?
doesnt this go back to the dems way of thinking... " well, at least we tried, and thats what counts"
Oh, forgive me for temporarily forgetting that you see the world in absolute binary and that your brain finds it much easier to classify all things things in absolute terms, no matter how arbitrary that may be. Let me kindly rephrase my answer for you:Yorke: Me is Demokrat! Me likey save world, help Darfur, paint unicorns white and draw straws on them, have govment pay for health care for all. Silly bands will save da world. George Clooney told me so! It's the thought that counts. Me likey 'dem taxes so everybody can own TVs. Communism works in THEORY. To each according to his need, babee!There, was that easier to strip down and force fit into your binary perspective? Was it easier now to turn my answer into a left/right thing?
Oh, forgive me for temporarily forgetting that you see the world in absolute binary and that your brain finds it much easier to classify all things things in absolute terms, no matter how arbitrary that may be. Let me kindly rephrase my answer for you:Yorke: Me is Demokrat! Me likey save world, help Darfur, paint unicorns white and draw straws on them, have govment pay for health care for all. Silly bands will save da world. George Clooney told me so! It's the thought that counts. Me likey 'dem taxes so everybody can own TVs. Communism works in THEORY. To each according to his need, babee!There, was that easier to strip down and force fit into your binary perspective? Was it easier now to turn my answer into a left/right thing?
WINNAR
so donating silly bands is greater than not doing anything ... i call bullshitit is equal in nothingness except for you have a handful of crap in your hand and you feel good about givingdoesnt this go back to the dems way of thinking... " well, at least we tried, and thats what counts"what do they do with their portion of silly bands. why not get the kids to all piss into a container andship that off to em, is that greater than nothing and also greater than the silly bands?
Urine is sterile, and can be useful for treating infections. In a pinch, you can even drink urine to stave off thirst.So donating jars of urine would most likely be more beneficial than silly bands.Now, jars of shit would most likely have negative equity, even accounting for their agricultural uses.
There, was that easier to strip down and force fit into your binary perspective? Was it easier now to turn my answer into a left/right thing?
to clasify me as binary or having only binary thoughts on just that one quick sentence is kinda binary. but you win and i love you
Maybe they wanted to get the actual kids involved in donating stuff rather than it be the parents of the kids. And maybe the idea of not having any toys is more relatable to kids than not having money. I don't know what the intentions of these parents were, but teaching kids to help the less fortunate wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
Or maybe they just wanted to donate something to make themselves feel better as previously mentioned. And maybe teaching kids to help those less fortunate by donating something more useful than rubber bands would be much more educational. Or maybe none of the kids gave a damn aboutanything other than the ice cream party. That I know the kids could relate to.

so we're certain it wasn't a "box tops" kind of thing where X number of bands remitted = Y amounts of dollars/cans of food that would be donated by Z corp?

so we're certain it wasn't a "box tops" kind of thing where X number of bands remitted = Y amounts of dollars/cans of food that would be donated by Z corp?
Yeah, it wasn't that. They were giving poor kids Silly Bandz.