Creation Museum

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I actually believe that, and it's one of the reasons that I've always been a very big fan of yours. You're sincere, and the rarity of sincerity never ceases to amaze me. More importantly, though: you

I looked up that passage and didn't see where it said "salvation is by good works." 14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save t

I think it's more like, "Without faith, it doesn't matter what you do." Meaning you can't just be a good person to get into heaven.Regarding the first point, if you're standing in the middle of the r

Here you go:All of them
So, for the original bible you link me to site that compares 30 or 40 different versions of what they thought the original meant. Thanks for the eval.
1) It's not a good idea to use a Catholic website for doctrinal issues. Seriously.2) There is nothing in Christianity that says to put anyone to death.Oh my hell. Your brainwashing by freethoughtforums.com is complete.
The modern Bible was shaped by mistakes and intentional alterations that were made by early scribes who copied the texts.
In one sentance you call me nuts for saying that the bible has been altered or miss-interpreted and in the same breath, say the Catholics do it wrong. Ummm, I'm brainwashed? I pointed to a source, and can provide many more that are from respected historians that validate my facts. Hell, it's not even disuputed by Christian historians and I didn't even get into all the ways it has been altered over the years.
1) It's not a good idea to use a Catholic website for doctrinal issues. Seriously.
1.2 billion people disagree with you.
2) There is nothing in Christianity that says to put anyone to death.
Except for the bible.
Except for the bible.
For example, this passage from Deuteronomy 13 (King James):[6] If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers;[7] Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth;[8] Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:[9] But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.[10] And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.I don't see how it's possible to then say, "There is nothing in Christianity that says to put anyone to death." It is a definitively false statement.
For example, this passage from Deuteronomy 13 (King James):[6] If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers;[7] Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth;[8] Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:[9] But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.[10] And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.I don't see how it's possible to then say, "There is nothing in Christianity that says to put anyone to death." It is a definitively false statement.
You quoted the Jewish religion.Even the crazy far out Christians don't preach the putting to death of someone for leaving the faith.And if the snake grabbing funeral protesting radicals don't even whisper it, then there is probably good cause to consider that maybe it's not there?
You quoted the Jewish religion.
I quoted the King James Bible. Do you believe in the Holy Truth of the Ten Commandments, and that they were handed down by God? That's not a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely curious.
You quoted the Jewish religion.
Is it your position then that it was previously moral to kill people who believed in other gods, but now it is not?
Even the crazy far out Christians don't preach the putting to death of someone for leaving the faith.And if the snake grabbing funeral protesting radicals don't even whisper it, then there is probably good cause to consider that maybe it's not there?
I suspect it just means that deep down people don't take scripture that seriously. Modern Jews aren't generally following this, either.

I guess we could turn this into a basic religion 101 class.I'm not sure you want to go there, but I will.Turn to the Old Testament. Genesis chapter 1,

1.2 billion people disagree with you.
Catholicism has many many many aspects that are based on tradition and not the Bible. Even Catholics will tell you that.
Except for the bible.
There was no Bible when Jesus was on Earth, and I'm a Christ follower. The Old Testament rules are irrelevant to the Christian.... but you already know that. Repeat ad nauseam. Good point though. THE BIBLE!
only the new testament counts argument?
Newsflash SuitedAces21: I'm a Christian. The New Testament is the part that has Jesus in it.
I quoted the King James Bible. Do you believe in the Holy Truth of the Ten Commandments, and that they were handed down by God? That's not a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely curious.
Dread: Do you have the spreadsheet count on how many times this has been answered?
Turn to the Old Testament. Genesis chapter 1,
You just suggested that the Old Testament is irrelevant, or at least Deuteronomy is. I've read Genesis. I've also read Deuteronomy. Do you believe that the Ten Commandments are the Holy Word of God? It's a very simple question, I'm not sure why you ignored it.
Dread: Do you have the spreadsheet count on how many times this has been answered?
Again, it's a fairly straightforward yes or no question. Yet you both avoid answering it.
The Old Testament rules are irrelevant to the Christian
So then you don't believe that the Ten Commandments were handed down by God? Or else you just don't believe they are still relevant? It seems like a massive waste of space to include the Old Testament in every single copy of the Bible, if it's irrelevant. Not only that, but extremely confusing.

Christians believe in anything in the Old Testament that wasn't rendered moot by the New Testament. What this means, exactly, I'm not sure...but I think it means that every Christian gets to decide what in the Old Testament Jesus wouldn't be ok with. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So then you don't believe that the Ten Commandments were handed down by God? Or else you just don't believe they are still relevant? It seems like a massive waste of space to include the Old Testament in every single copy of the Bible, if it's irrelevant. Not only that, but extremely confusing.
I'm pretty sure that Christians believe the commandments were handed down by God and that they are relevant. Probably not relevant the way you're thinking though. Like, they aren't the rules in which you must live your life or you will go to hell, but it probably wouldn't be a bad thing if you wouldn't murder and stuff.I think the Christian life can be boiled down to "love God, love your neighbor, all that other stuff will take care of itself if you follow that." I think I should've put the end quotation marks after neighbor. The reason the commandments are less relevant is because of the whole Jesus dying for the sins of the world thing.I think I've got that about right.Brv, this line of questioning has been answered 12,147 times.
I think the Christian life can be boiled down to "love God, love your neighbor, all that other stuff will take care of itself if you follow that." I think I should've put the end quotation marks after neighbor. The reason the commandments are less relevant is because of the whole Jesus dying for the sins of the world thing.
Oh, right, the dying for the sins. I feel like that's a rosy outlook on the Christian life. It ignores their outlook on everyone else's beliefs and what they will lead to. But probably fair in terms of what they think about their own lives on a daily basis.
Newsflash SuitedAces21: I'm a Christian. The New Testament is the part that has Jesus in it.
good for you. so do you believe that jesus was the son of the god that did and said all the things of the old testament? because if that god is jesus' father, how can you just dismiss it all?
I'm pretty sure that Christians believe the commandments were handed down by God and that they are relevant. Probably not relevant the way you're thinking though. Like, they aren't the rules in which you must live your life or you will go to hell, but it probably wouldn't be a bad thing if you wouldn't murder and stuff.
That's a pretty okay (if somewhat vague) answer, as was speedz's, but it still doesn't directly address the question: Do you (brv/BG) believe that the Ten Commandments are the Perfect Word of God? I find it confusing that BG directed my to the read the book of Genesis while at the same time explaining that the OT is, in his words, "the Jewish religion."
Do you (brv/BG) believe that the Ten Commandments are the Perfect Word of God?
Let's assume their answer is yes, so we can jump ahead to your follow-up.
because if that god is jesus' father, how can you just dismiss it all?
Because Jesus dismissed it.
ORLY? where did he do that? and even if he did, how do we know he was authorized to do so?
I don't know, maybe it was Paul or somebody else. I don't even know what your last question means. Are you asking if Jesus has God's authority?

As always, a big thanks to Dread, for actually listening to what we were saying all of these years.

Oh, right, the dying for the sins. I feel like that's a rosy outlook on the Christian life. It ignores their outlook on everyone else's beliefs and what they will lead to. But probably fair in terms of what they think about their own lives on a daily basis.
"Do not judge so that you will not be judged."-JesusJust because Christians do something, doesn't mean they should.
good for you. so do you believe that jesus was the son of the god that did and said all the things of the old testament? because if that god is jesus' father, how can you just dismiss it all?
I'm not dismissing it, as in it doesn't matter at all or has absolutely no purpose or meaning, I'm saying that Jesus changed a lot of that stuff.
ORLY? where did he do that? and even if he did, how do we know he was authorized to do so?
Question #1: YesQuestion #2: Matthew 5Question #3: If you don't believe he was authorized to do that, then you're a Jew. If you believe he was, then you're a Christian.

i just find it interesting that jesus would have just dismissed everything old papi had to say in the OT. and my question is if we dont assume that jesus is god's son, why was he authorized to dismiss the OT. do we have to assume he was for his dismissal to mean anything? did jesus walk around saying, he i'm god's son, but dont worry about all that stuff about stoning sinners, my old man said that's not really the right thing to do anymore, he was wrong. the whole thing is funny to me because religious people want to claim god is all knowing, all powerful, etc. he is perfect and all that, but half his holy book doesnt matter because his son said so. well if god cant make mistakes why is he explicitly stating that sinners need to be stoned to death and then taking it back through jesus.the real question is how can anyone not see that the only way to defend religion is to just keep circling back to the unfounded given that god exists.edit: i guess my point is i dont understand how you can claim that anything god said needed to be changed.