• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't care at all about the product placement/ hour long Target commercial. This is the future of advertising, and I'm ok with it.
I have to begrudgingly agree. I download it off the internet - I can't really complain about product placement since there is no possibility I will ever see a commercial from one of their sponsors.Product placement bothers me in movies though. Or, in good movies. I wouldn't care if Transformers 3 literally took a break and had commercials halfway through. But in worthwhile movies it can be distracting.

Nobody else wanted to vomit while Padma was describing the "new" Target? She sounded like Katie, the fembot host of the first season. At least don't make it glaringly obvious that the chunky, awkwardly scripted challenge description was written by the CEO of Target.

Nobody else wanted to vomit while Padma was describing the "new" Target? She sounded like Katie, the fembot host of the first season. At least don't make it glaringly obvious that the chunky, awkwardly scripted challenge description was written by the CEO of Target.
To me it just seems like that's where things are going. Reality shows that use placement don't bother me at all. The real challenge is going to come on sitcoms and movies, where it needs to be much more subtle, to not distract from the content. I wouldn't have had any issue at all if the actual Target CEO had replaced Padma in this episode. I say that tongue in cheek, because I like Padma, but the issue is that Target is putting up a lot of money for this episode, and I'm totally ok with product placement. It's the future, man, jump on board. (cause it's only going to get worse)
I wouldn't have had any issue at all if the actual Target CEO had replaced Padma in this episode.
I don't know if this is back asswards, but I would have had less of a problem with it if they just brought the Target CEO in to talk about their new products as an intro for the challenge. I just hated Padma being a de facto spokesperson.

I understand that it feels contrived the way they put the words in her mouth to make it seem somehow like normal speech to the Cheftestants. As if they are standing there listening intently and with real interest while she informs them. It detracts from the "reality" part of the reality show and crosses over into scripted. So, yeah, the CEO delivering the message instead of Padma reading from a Cue Card would have been more "real".

It's worse in sitmcoms and dramas. White Collar on USA is probably the worst I have ever seen. Last nights episode they were driving in a chase when they flashed to the dashboard to see a tree and the MPG on the hybrid ford they were driving, then spent a good 30 seconds discussing the efficiency of the car, then back to the chase.

It's worse in sitmcoms and dramas. White Collar on USA is probably the worst I have ever seen. Last nights episode they were driving in a chase when they flashed to the dashboard to see a tree and the MPG on the hybrid ford they were driving, then spent a good 30 seconds discussing the efficiency of the car, then back to the chase.
Heh, USA is notoriously bad about that. Psych does it in a funny way, and Burn Notice is pretty blatant. I like when Sam gets obsessed with a certain brand of beer.

"Anthony Bourdain is semi-conscious in Connecticut, but sad to see Angry Dale go. Managed to mutter that he enjoyed the congestive heart disease theme of the Quickfire Challenge before slumping to the floor, babbling 'Not Dale! Not Dale! Nooooooo!' "

"Anthony Bourdain is semi-conscious in Connecticut, but sad to see Angry Dale go. Managed to mutter that he enjoyed the congestive heart disease theme of the Quickfire Challenge before slumping to the floor, babbling 'Not Dale! Not Dale! Nooooooo!' "
Hmm. I liked the other two from the bottom more personally, but I think Dale's probably a better chef overall.I'm uncomfortable whenever I notice that you can see Antonia's bra strap sinking into her shoulder fat.
I'm uncomfortable whenever I notice that you can see Antonia's bra strap sinking into her shoulder fat.
Heh.I am sad to see Dale go, I was really hoping to see he and Blaise in the finale. I was worried when they highlighted DN telling him, this was his to lose because he was in Blaises head, then Blaise gets a win and his stolen dish also gets a win.What do you guys think of Mike stealing his dish? At first I thought he just built on the concept, but then as it was discussed further, he pretty much did the exact same thing. I thought it was a dick move and really bad etiquette.
What do you guys think of Mike stealing his dish? At first I thought he just built on the concept, but then as it was discussed further, he pretty much did the exact same thing. I thought it was a dick move and really bad etiquette.
It was definitely bad etiquette, but I could understand (not condone, just understand) Mike taking the idea while panicking for a good idea during a quickfire when apparently that dish was fresh in his mind from talking about it just that morning. What I actually thought was more despicable was his attitude afterwards, acting like he hadn't done anything wrong and making it seem during the talking head interview like there was something wrong with Blaise for being upset about it. Like if you steal someone's idea and he dwells on it there's something wrong with him, and apparently he needs to just get over it.
What do you guys think of Mike stealing his dish? At first I thought he just built on the concept, but then as it was discussed further, he pretty much did the exact same thing. I thought it was a dick move and really bad etiquette.
Dick move but good television. I'm just happy it didn't cause Blaise to choke in the elimination challenge.
It was definitely bad etiquette, but I could understand (not condone, just understand) Mike taking the idea while panicking for a good idea during a quickfire when apparently that dish was fresh in his mind from talking about it just that morning. What I actually thought was more despicable was his attitude afterwards, acting like he hadn't done anything wrong and making it seem during the talking head interview like there was something wrong with Blaise for being upset about it. Like if you steal someone's idea and he dwells on it there's something wrong with him, and apparently he needs to just get over it.
You must have hated zuckerberg in The Social Network. Mike stole a recipe. Mark stole 50 billion dollars.
You must have hated zuckerberg in The Social Network. Mike stole a recipe. Mark stole 50 billion dollars.
Didn't see the movie. And I'm not really sure what the point of your response is. Was it that stealing is okay as long as it's not a large sum of money (i.e. more than the $5000 they were playing for)?
What I actually thought was more despicable was his attitude afterwards, acting like he hadn't done anything wrong and making it seem during the talking head interview like there was something wrong with Blaise for being upset about it. Like if you steal someone's idea and he dwells on it there's something wrong with him, and apparently he needs to just get over it.
I agree with this. Stealing it was bad enough, but acting the way he did after was ridiculous, although I think he may have been trying to cover for feeling bad by acting extra douchey.
I agree with this. Stealing it was bad enough, but acting the way he did after was ridiculous, although I think he may have been trying to cover for feeling bad by acting extra douchey.
That is how I took it.
That is how I took it.
So did I. You could tell when Mike was making such a big deal about richard being pissed. I gotta say Antonia has surprised the hell out of me. She has performed top notch for most of the season. Gotta say was a bit sad to see Dale go. He has totally matured from the prick that he was during his season. And I gotta say Marcel just needs to grow up already.

Quick comments after the first four dishes:Holy shit the first four looked incredible. Ok, Mike's just looked good, the rest looked pretty incredible. Also, I enjoyed imagining the show's producers' eyes lighting up at Carla's husband's mention of match.com. I would have liked to be in the room when they called the website's owner(s) to give them a price for showing that conversation.Edit: I guess Mike's tasted better than it looked. Hard to guess who they'll send home. Ok, I'll guess: [They'll keep everyone.]Edit 2: I can't decide if I like their decision.

I was fine with it. It was either keep everyone, or send Carla home, and with those being the only options, I like that Carla is still there.

Yeah, I guess I like it. I've got to say, that was about as little awkwardness as anyone could ever expect in an atmosphere like that, where family members are involved in discussing the meals. I'm really glad they all did well.Blaise has been acting like a whiney little bitch lately. He seems not to be able to understand that sometimes other people's food tastes better than his. I was very amused by them pulling the standard fake dismissal on him.

Agree 100%. I'm starting not to like him, and I miss DN.

MY DVR didn't catch the end. It cut out right after they discussed all 5 of their dishes at the end. So what happened after that?
-Antonia won.-They told Mike he was safe.-They told Richard to pack his knives and go...to the finals. He almost shat his pants and couldn't even complete a sentence.-They told Tiffany and Carla that they were both going to the finals as well.Everybody goes home happy.