Detroit Real Estate Prices?

If we are to debate the logic or rationale of European whites enslaving dark people for their own ends, I find it rather compelling evidence that much of their thought was actually irrational.So: YES.
Why was it irrational to think the earth was the center of the universe at that time?
  • Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the enslavement of africans didn't start in columbus's time
I thought the "colonization" of Africa was mostly something that happened well after Copernicus but I could be wrong there.
I thought the "colonization" of Africa was mostly something that happened well after Copernicus but I could be wrong there.
There was slavery in Africa long before European Colonization
Why was it irrational to think the earth was the center of the universe at that time?
After all the 15 or so full of bullshit posts from scram, you're choosing to enter the fray by going after this one point from mk?I guess not enough people answered wakefield's question...everyone disagrees with scram...right?
After all the 15 or so full of bullshit posts from scram, you're choosing to enter the fray by going after this one point from mk?
This is usually how I enter the fray. The actual topic doesn't really interest me, but the way people argue does.And Scram kind of scares me a little.
Was it not clear I meant to imply that with the benefit of hindsight, many of the ideas of past civilizations are hilarious?SUCH AS: OWNING PEOPLE
Was it not clear I meant to imply that with the benefit of hindsight, many of the ideas of past civilizations are hilarious?SUCH AS: OWNING PEOPLE
With his point being that thinking the Earth was at the center of the Universe wasn't always irrational and hilarious. Hindsight doesn't have the superpower of giving the people back then additional information to go on when choosing their beliefs.
With his point being that thinking the Earth was at the center of the Universe wasn't always irrational and hilarioius. Hindsight doesn't have the superpower of giving the people back then additional information to go on when choosing their beliefs.
Why is this hard for people?Scram: Why do you think it WAS that people have treated africans as subhumans for centuries?mk: It's because people were stupid. And racist. And they had a delusional sense of self-righteousness and self-importance. Here's a very obvious example showing this to be true.everyone: DUR DUR DUR LEARN HOW TO ARGUE TARDI GUESS YOU'RE RIGHT THEY WERE SMART LET'S ALL OWN PEOPLE
mk: It's because people were stupid. And racist. And they had a delusional sense of self-righteousness and self-importance. Here's a very obvious example showing this to be true.
Right. But your "obvious example" has holes in it, and therefore doesn't help further your argument. To not admit that weakens your original point.Seriously..."the earth was flat" shows that people were stupid, self-righteous, and self-important? In what way? The answer is that it doesn't prove any of those things, so your argument is weak, and I'd rather you not be making weak arguments when trying to say that slavery was wrong.
everyone: DUR DUR DUR LEARN HOW TO ARGUE TARD
I'm not sure this is exactly what happened. I mean, I agree with what you're trying to say, and probably JJJ does too, it's just that you're doing it poorly. We're just trying to help. Why won't you let us help you?
Right. But your "obvious example" has holes in it, and therefore doesn't help further your argument. To not admit that weakens your original point.Seriously..."the earth was flat" shows that people were stupid, self-righteous, and self-important? In what way? The answer is that it doesn't prove any of those things, so your argument is weak, and I'd rather you not be making weak arguments when trying to say that slavery was wrong.I'm not sure this is exactly what happened. I mean, I agree with what you're trying to say, and probably JJJ does too, it's just that you're doing it poorly. We're just trying to help. Why won't you let us help you?
Like. NOThere aren't holes in it, and it doesn't weaken my point. Not at all. Not one iota.I said, "they thought the earth was flat and the center of the universe." Thinking the earth was flat was stupid, but accepted. Thinking the earth was the center of the universe was self-righteous and self-important, but accepted. Enslaving dark people was stupid, self-righteous and self-important, but accepted.You fucking buttholes loooooooove trolling me, go die

Help us help you. Help us help you. Help us help you.Alternatively: It's not your fault. It's not your fault. It's not your fault.But really, thinking the Earth was flat was not stupid in any way whatsoever. You say that as if you would have FIGURED IT OUT if you had lived in, say, the fifth century. You would have made that breakthrough! Because, you know, you're not stupid.

Well, it's certainly good to know that all of our social ideals will always be considered right since all of our scientific knowledge will also always be right.
I wonder what ideals and beliefs of today's World will be lampooned as ridiculous in a couple of hundred years.Global Warming Climate Change?
I wonder what ideals and beliefs of today's World will be lampooned as ridiculous in a couple of hundred years.
I have friends in school that swear in a few hundred or thousand years eating animals will be considered barbaric and cruel by society as a whole. I can make a hundred arguments against having a 100% vegan society, but I'm actually not convinced that they're wrong.
Blacks enslaved Blacks, Native Americans enslaved each other at times and slavery was common on the Indian Subcontinent.
There was slavery in Africa long before European Colonization
I think this is one of the biggest pieces missing in the teaching about slaves and slave trades and how most got here. Most of the slaves were purchased from tribal leaders who were selling there enslaved criminals. They also chose the biggest and the strongest. Because they were being sold to work and got the most money for them. So America's black population was large athletic criminals. This should fuel Scrams fire.
I have friends in school that swear in a few hundred or thousand years eating animals will be considered barbaric and cruel by society as a whole. I can make a hundred arguments against having a 100% vegan society, but I'm actually not convinced that they're wrong.
Steak tho.
I wonder what ideals and beliefs of today's World will be lampooned as ridiculous in a couple of hundred years.Global Warming Climate Change?
Widespread gun ownership and trying to stop gay marriage seem more likely.

I think it's much more likely that "marriage" will be considered the stupid thing... not specific types of marriage.

Like. NOThere aren't holes in it, and it doesn't weaken my point. Not at all. Not one iota.I said, "they thought the earth was flat and the center of the universe." Thinking the earth was flat was stupid, but accepted. Thinking the earth was the center of the universe was self-righteous and self-important, but accepted. Enslaving dark people was stupid, self-righteous and self-important, but accepted.You fucking buttholes loooooooove trolling me, go die
The belief that the earth was the center of the universe did not conflict with available evidence at the time. It was a perfectly reasonable hypothesis that had yet to be falsified. There was plenty of available evidence that African people were equally human. But there is a deeper flaw in your analogy which is that you are comparing a value shift (it's ok to enslave black people -> it's not ok to enslave black people) with an epistemic shift (the earth is flat -> the earth is round). The change in our knowledge over time does not directly correlate with changes in values over time1. 1note for Randy: this is not to say that there shouldn't be such a connection or that there won't be in the future, just to say that people have not directly drawn their values from facts throughout history