Life Skills And General Education Thread.

I'm not sure how to phrase this...scram, do you consider your thoughts on minor issues such as utensil drawers to be part of your OCD? Or does it seem to you that a normal person not considering a preform tray to be "a little, lingering, nagging failure" is further proof that you're just far superior to the average human?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure how to phrase this...scram, do you consider your thoughts on minor issues such as utensil drawers to be part of your OCD? Or does it seem to you that a normal person not considering a preform tray to be "a little, lingering, nagging failure" is further proof that you're just far superior to the average human?
It's both. I'm the result of what happens when you take a far superior person (intellectually, anyway. I am still a big fat fattie) and give them OCD.Anyway, since there was virtually no interest for sharpening blades, chisels and plane irons save for a bit expressed by EL Guapo, that's what it will be. I should've known you Sallies would've been most interested in organizing drawers.
Excellent, I have a hand crack sharpening stone I've wanted to use but haven't.
liar... and even if you do, I seriously doubt you have the $500 worth of progressive grit whetstones I'll be using, so this will basically be useless for everyone.
Jeweler, machinist, pawnbroker, antiques dealer. I think there are some other areas of industrial production where they're used for inspection, too...Which is it?
Printer.I use one also. I always thought is was loop.
Printer.I use one also. I always thought is was loop.
DING DING DING!Specifically field engineer for grand format UV flatbed printers.
liar... and even if you do, I seriously doubt you have the $500 worth of progressive grit whetstones I'll be using, so this will basically be useless for everyone.
Progressive GritI like the sound of that.
Okay, I spoke too soon.
I'd consicer paying you to sharpen my knives if you'd double swear not to kill anyone with them and leave thier DNA.
I looked around the warehouse and couldn't find it, so I may have in fact lied about owning one now.And while I'm at it...Michael Jackson's car didn't break down in front of my house and he didn't ask to use my phone to call the tow truck.But his sister did!
I looked around the warehouse and couldn't find it, so I may have in fact lied about owning one now.And while I'm at it...Michael Jackson's car didn't break down in front of my house and he didn't ask to use my phone to call the tow truck.But his sister did!
You let Latoya in yo house? That bitch IS Crazeeeeee.

I'd like to hear more about sharpening blades. How does one tell if a blade is as sharp as it gets? I have a Wusthof Culinar chef's knife that I feel I might not be getting the most of with the sharpening technique I've been using. Is a whetstone the best method? Does learning how to properly use one take a lot of time?

I don't know if you're going to answer serious blade sharpening questions, but I just ordered this garden ho..http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006IH3CY/ref=oss_productwhich is a diamond ho, with a 72 inch handle. The main benefits of it are of course the long handle which will save my back when doing gardening, as cheap american hoes are obviously made for 5'2 mexicans. But it's also a diamond design, meaning you can ho in both a forward " push" motion, and a back " pull" motion, making it extremely efficient as a garden tool. I'm curious tho how I'm going to keep it sharp. I took my last ho to the local hardware store, and it came back with chips in the blade, just un ****ing real they would charge me to ****ing chip the blade. I will never shop at that place again, but i imagine there are few places in town that are going to be used to sharpening diamond hos, and I'm already attached to this ho and I haven't even gripped it yet, so the idea of handing it over to some monkey to chip the blade mortifies me. Do you think that a oil-sand bucket will be sufficient to keep it sharp, and if not what's the route I should take to keep it sharp.

I don't know if you're going to answer serious blade sharpening questions, but I just ordered this garden ho..http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006IH3CY/ref=oss_productwhich is a diamond ho, with a 72 inch handle. The main benefits of it are of course the long handle which will save my back when doing gardening, as cheap american hoes are obviously made for 5'2 mexicans. But it's also a diamond design, meaning you can ho in both a forward " push" motion, and a back " pull" motion, making it extremely efficient as a garden tool. I'm curious tho how I'm going to keep it sharp. I took my last ho to the local hardware store, and it came back with chips in the blade, just un ****ing real they would charge me to ****ing chip the blade. I will never shop at that place again, but i imagine there are few places in town that are going to be used to sharpening diamond hos, and I'm already attached to this ho and I haven't even gripped it yet, so the idea of handing it over to some monkey to chip the blade mortifies me. Do you think that a oil-sand bucket will be sufficient to keep it sharp, and if not what's the route I should take to keep it sharp.
Well, first off, if they seriously sent you back a chipped blade after sharpening, I'd consider taking it back and depositing it up their asses. Totally, totally inappropriate. All oil sand buckets do is prevent rust.Garden implements are usually sharpened to different standards than other 'blades' due to the rugged nature of their work. It's not wise to put a super fine edge on a tool that's going to be banging into rocks, etc. I don't know anything about the specific tool you're referencing, but I do know that many (if not all) factory fresh garden tools come with a very, very crude edge that borders on being unserviceable as-is. I use a 12" bastard file and hand-hone for similar jobs (machete, brush ax). Honestly, for a factory fresh rough edge, a little grinder treatment wouldn't be a bad idea to get your pitch correct, but unless you're experienced with doing this, don't. You'll **** it up. Be patient, use the file to get your basic geometry right (keep most of your focus on the pull stroke) and to thte point where it's starting to get 'sharp' then hone it to 'very sharp'.
Well, first off, if they seriously sent you back a chipped blade after sharpening, I'd consider taking it back and depositing it up their asses. Totally, totally inappropriate. All oil sand buckets do is prevent rust.Garden implements are usually sharpened to different standards than other 'blades' due to the rugged nature of their work. It's not wise to put a super fine edge on a tool that's going to be banging into rocks, etc. I don't know anything about the specific tool you're referencing, but I do know that many (if not all) factory fresh garden tools come with a very, very crude edge that borders on being unserviceable as-is. I use a 12" bastard file and hand-hone for similar jobs (machete, brush ax). Honestly, for a factory fresh rough edge, a little grinder treatment wouldn't be a bad idea to get your pitch correct, but unless you're experienced with doing this, don't. You'll **** it up. Be patient, use the file to get your basic geometry right (keep most of your focus on the pull stroke) and to thte point where it's starting to get 'sharp' then hone it to 'very sharp'.
Yeah, i was furious about it. it was the first sharpen for that hoe, the rough edge that you spoke of. When I went in to get the blade done, the guy that was there said he personally only did mower blades, and the guy who did garden tools wasn't in, and gave the air of having me leave. So I ask him when the guy would be there, and he said monday ( this was a saturday), and I said that's fine, I'll leave it and have him do it. Well, the guy seemed annoyed but wrote me out a ticket. So I came back on tuesday to pick it up, and the same guy was there on tuesday, and the work had not been done. So he decided to just sharpen it instead. So basically I waited 4 days for no reason , that incompetent lazy **** could have done the same shitty job on Saturday t hat he did on tuesday. However, the hoe that I'm ordering, is made by Dewit tools (http://www.dewitstore.com/), a dutch company, and it does not come rough, but apparently they ship it very sharp, at least from the reviews I read of it. So yeah, i'm looking to maintain the edge.
It's both. I'm the result of what happens when you take a far superior person (intellectually, anyway. I am still a big fat fattie) and give them OCD.Anyway, since there was virtually no interest for sharpening blades, chisels and plane irons save for a bit expressed by EL Guapo, that's what it will be. I should've known you Sallies would've been most interested in organizing drawers.
So you don't know how to organize without the use of preform dividers? Or are you like a politician who promises to follow a majority decision, then does what they originally planned to do anyway ... why don't you just remame the thread "How to Sharpen Blades, Chisels and Plane Irons" and save us all the trouble of voting.
So you don't know how to organize without the use of preform dividers? Or are you like a politician who promises to follow a majority decision, then does what they originally planned to do anyway ... why don't you just remame the thread "How to Sharpen Blades, Chisels and Plane Irons" and save us all the trouble of voting.
I don't think reader efficiency was what he was angling for in this thread.
I don't think reader efficiency was what he was angling for in this thread.
Agree. Also, shut up and let Scram go. I only like Scram here and I only hate those who get in his way.