A H L Discussion

We only hear back reports from uber because there are ten zillion new uber employees and it's a big union thing so every story gets magnified. I promise if cabs all of a sudden hired hundreds of thousands of new employees we'd hear stories too. And remarkably few, given the amount of uber rides taken.

A single negative report can take away a persons ability to be an uber driver or airbnb host, which for many is their sole source of income...can you say the same about a cab or a hotel?

Don't confuse uber with uberX, which is basically anyone who feels like driving that day. And airbnb seems gross to me, but if you feel like going to someone's house (which they usually aren't there for), then it's a lot more likely to be clean since if it isn't, they are toast, rather than your hotel where the maid might be cranky or getting tired and has no personal responsibility if your bed has roaches or semen or whatever.

What do you think I was referring to when I said that Uber was not licensed? I feel the same way about H&R Block or your dinkus off the street saying they are an "Accountant" when they are not.

Airbnb I would never stay in. You can get a decent hotel 3 stars and above on Hotwire or Priceline. I just got a 3 star Hyatt Place for August in Tampa (they stated 3.5 but I believe Hyatt Place is 3 stars) for $40 less than rack rate. The reason you find garbage in your room is because you must stay in 1 star motels.

• Replies 20.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FCP Bob

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• serge

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and sorry about not having everything up to date yet contract wise. I'll be working on that the next couple days and will have it all done hopefully before the weekend but if not over the weekend for

Unlike other predictions, these are meant to insult and offend both finalists.   #1 Eddie Shack Conference vs #1 Tiger Williams Conference   Steelheads (56-25-1) +/- 167 vs Big M (52-25-5) +/-

AHL GM's European Summit 2015 was a blast! Whalers really embraced the culture....     As per tradition of trades whenever owners cross paths... Whalers and Swackers have agreed to swap .25 both

Posted Images

I got nuthin'.

no worries, I can copy and paste from the NHL website it's just that I then have a couple hours of reformatting so if anybody had it already on excel it might have saved me that couple hours.

What happens if the NHL expands to 32 teams, with respect to goalies in the AHL. How did the AHL deal with NHL expansion in the past?

easy, we don't change anything with this one.

It just means that some sets of goalies won't be on any AHL team and you'll be able to pick up and drop goalies. We'll still only have 3 sets on each AHL team.

What do you think I was referring to when I said that Uber was not licensed? I feel the same way about H&R Block or your dinkus off the street saying they are an "Accountant" when they are not.

Airbnb I would never stay in. You can get a decent hotel 3 stars and above on Hotwire or Priceline. I just got a 3 star Hyatt Place for August in Tampa (they stated 3.5 but I believe Hyatt Place is 3 stars) for $40 less than rack rate. The reason you find garbage in your room is because you must stay in 1 star motels.

The issue I have with airbnb is that the spaces do not have to be up to code. There are no regulations to rent your space or home out. You can have shitty wiring, no working smoke detectors. Nothing. Id rather stay in a hotel that has to be up to code.

It cracks me up when you old guys are scared of new things. Uber and airbnb are both licensed in ways much more transparent and effective than hotels or taxis.

Thanks Danny, I think your aces too.

Bob, I copied+pasted the schedule onto excel, but I dont have the times of the games I dont think. (file is on home comp)

I can check tonight if you like.

When you get home e-mail it to me in whatever form you have. It can't hurt. Chances are that I would still have to format the date in yours since when you copied and pasted from the nhl website the game dates aren't saved in date format but rather as text.

Thanks

I don't really get airbnb either and not sure why I'd ever stay there. But I promise you have stayed in hotel rooms that were absolutely filthy because no one involved gave a crap or had any personal responsibility, but I'm sure they smoothed over the sheets or whatever so it overly obvious.

The issue I have with airbnb is that the spaces do not have to be up to code. There are no regulations to rent your space or home out. You can have shitty wiring, no working smoke detectors. Nothing. Id rather stay in a hotel that has to be up to code.

Well, all houses/apartments have to be up to building codes. Is that really different than the codes hotels are required to have? Do you actually look into whether the hotel you are staying in has all of its fire and health certifications up to date? If they had 9 violations and 3 warnings for being unresponsive, would you even know it? This is a real question, not sarcasm btw. I am a lot like you guys in that I like staying at a big brand name place because I assume things will be in good shape, though realistically, I'd have no idea if they weren't.

Thanks Danny, I think your aces too.

I see what you did there.

I don't have to update my wiring. I could take the batteries out of my smoke detectors today and no one is going to come periodically check. I could have bed bugs and not do anything about it and post my house tomorrow on airbnb. At least hotels have annual or bi annual inspections and will get shut down if they don't comply. Airbnb is not checking these things out.

UberX is Uber. You can't just ignore it and pretend they aren't part of Uber. Especially the controversial part. Taxi drivers go through background checks. Are regulated. Require a special license to drive a taxi. Uber drivers need to be a certain age, have insurance and a specific type of car. That's it. No checks. And now many insurance companies are denying insurance to Uber drivers. Uber itself is trying to claim it's not a transportation service but a technology. They are essentially becoming hitchhiking on your smartphone. I'm sure their black car service is more regulated but when I say bad things about Uber I'm talking about their UberX division. That's the division most associate with Uber. That's the division with many reported claims of rape, assualt and theft. Excuse me for being old and rather use a taxi than s ride share with no regulation. ;)

We stayed in an Air bnb house in Ottawa and it was the most clean, enjoyable experience I had.

The fridge and pantry was stocked, the owner was available for any questions and the place was spotless.

There are so many businesses you use everyday that aren't regulated(or highly regulated). If a business is going to stay in business they are going to go out of their way to please you.

• Like 1

Does anyone want Brandon Sutter? He's really good and stuff, but I don't want him now that he's not on Pittsburgh.

What's his salary?

I don't know. Prob not. He's probably more valuable than a 25c player.

Word of advice. If you are looking to get rid of a player , don't post :

"Yay, we traded Sutter"

I don't have to update my wiring. I could take the batteries out of my smoke detectors today and no one is going to come periodically check. I could have bed bugs and not do anything about it and post my house tomorrow on airbnb. At least hotels have annual or bi annual inspections and will get shut down if they don't comply. Airbnb is not checking these things out.

UberX is Uber. You can't just ignore it and pretend they aren't part of Uber. Especially the controversial part. Taxi drivers go through background checks. Are regulated. Require a special license to drive a taxi. Uber drivers need to be a certain age, have insurance and a specific type of car. That's it. No checks. And now many insurance companies are denying insurance to Uber drivers. Uber itself is trying to claim it's not a transportation service but a technology. They are essentially becoming hitchhiking on your smartphone. I'm sure their black car service is more regulated but when I say bad things about Uber I'm talking about their UberX division. That's the division most associate with Uber. That's the division with many reported claims of rape, assualt and theft. Excuse me for being old and rather use a taxi than s ride share with no regulation. ;)

Will they get shut down? How long do you think a hotel could have the smoke detectors out before Joe Public became aware of it? So they get inspected once a year. Maybe they get checked, maybe they don't. Maybe they get written up, maybe they don't. If they don't fix it, another inspection, another warning, probably. Doesn't give me much comfort. Sure, someone might do that, but it seems unlikely for them to do it on purpose or anything. The rating system for airbnb means anyone wanting to rent out their place has to keep people happy. Some people check ratings on hotels and some actually listen to them, but I promise every person reads reviews/ratings before renting on airbnb.

Pretty sure if you use the Uber app to call a ride, you get an Uber driver, not an UberX driver, which means someone who has been checked and has insurance through the company (though Uber is of course trying to deny/minimize its liability). So if I am not going to get an UberX driver without allowing myself to get one, I don't care about them. As far as I understand, UberX is basically just a ride-sharing service, so people can have fun with that if they want, I guess.

As far as the licensing and background checks go, the license doesn't mean anything more than a driver's license in most places, and I doubt either the background check or licensing does anymore than Yellow Cab or whoever licenses 'real' cabs in your city. Insurance companies are denying insurance to Uber drivers for the same reason they'd deny insurance to any of the same people if they got a job driving a real cab - because the people are professional drivers, and so they need commercial insurance.

We stayed in an Air bnb house in Ottawa and it was the most clean, enjoyable experience I had.

The fridge and pantry was stocked, the owner was available for any questions and the place was spotless.

There are so many businesses you use everyday that aren't regulated(or highly regulated). If a business is going to stay in business they are going to go out of their way to please you.

I've only ever heard good things about airbnb, though that's only a few anecdotal people so it didn't help much. Personally, I don't see myself using it often/ever, since I'd rather stay at a crappy hotel unless it was a big family event or something and I wanted a house.

Nm just checked...$2.50 this season and next ugh. Will you include $2.25?

What's the problem with a $2.50 salary?

$5 cheaper than Dustin Brown :)

you seem to be implying Dustin Brown is not worth $7.50. Am I correct in this assumption???

• Like 1

when I saw the Brown trade, my first thought was....damn, Dale did it again. Every summer he manages to get guys with upside, and throws away his garbage doing it.

And then I remembered that the garbage was coming into my division+conference, and the upside was leaving, and felt pretty good about it.

It will only be a problem when we meet in the finals I figure. Then I can whine+bitch, but at that point Ill be too happy to have just climbed Mount Big M and Mount Broadway.