also PTA is a clear tier one. And just remember, folks, Coppola is still alive.
I don't think PTA is a clear Tier 1, I'm a fan of his, but he has only made 2 movies this decade. Granted, they were both great, but even considering his entire library, I don't think he is a 'clear cut' tier 1, any moreso than Christopher Nolan would be.Regarding Eastwood, I don't think you can completely dismiss Million Dollar Baby, Mystic River, and Gran Torino just because you hated them. All 3 were critically praised. MDB won Best picture. I know Best Picture isn't always an indicator of greatness, but I think it can at least be taken into account when discussing the resumé of a director.Also, with regards to Coppola, when discussing 'best active director', the concept of "what have you done for me lately" applies. Coppola is less likely to release an excellent movie in the next 3-5 years than a lot of people on that list.
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eastwoods directing list. That is a pretty impressive list. Even including the movies I really don't like, but are still overall good movies.# Invictus (2009)# Gran Torino (2008)# Changeling (2008)# Letters from Iwo Jima (2006)# Flags of Our Fathers (2006)# Million Dollar Baby (2004)# "The Blues" (1 episode, 2003) - Piano Blues (2003) TV episode# Mystic River (2003)# Blood Work (2002)# Space Cowboys (2000)# True Crime (1999)# Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (1997)# Absolute Power (1997)# The Bridges of Madison County (1995)# A Perfect World (1993)# Unforgiven (1992)# The Rookie (1990)# White Hunter Black Heart (1990)# Bird (1988)# Heartbreak Ridge (1986)# "Amazing Stories" (1 episode, 1985)... aka "Steven Spielberg's Amazing Stories" - USA (complete title) - Vanessa in the Garden (1985) TV episode# Pale Rider (1985)# Sudden Impact (1983)... aka "Dirty Harry 4" - Japan (English title)# Honkytonk Man (1982)# Firefox (1982)# Bronco Billy (1980)# The Gauntlet (1977)# The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)# The Eiger Sanction (1975)# Breezy (1973)# High Plains Drifter (1973)# Play Misty for Me (1971)# The Beguiled: The Storyteller (1971)

I don't think PTA is a clear Tier 1, I'm a fan of his, but he has only made 2 movies this decade. Granted, they were both great, but even considering his entire library, I don't think he is a 'clear cut' tier 1, any moreso than Christopher Nolan would be.Regarding Eastwood, I don't think you can completely dismiss Million Dollar Baby, Mystic River, and Gran Torino just because you hated them. All 3 were critically praised. MDB won Best picture. I know Best Picture isn't always an indicator of greatness, but I think it can at least be taken into account when discussing the resumé of a director.Also, with regards to Coppola, when discussing 'best active director', the concept of "what have you done for me lately" applies. Coppola is less likely to release an excellent movie in the next 3-5 years than a lot of people on that list.
1) Wait, I shouldn't dismiss movies because I didn't like them? What other possible reason could I have to dismiss them? This is my list, where I rank directors. If you like Eastwood, fantastic. If the public loves him, that's great too. But it has zero effect where I personally rate a director, and where I would put him on any list I make. I'm not making a list for entertainment weekly, I'm making it for myself. And i REALLY care less about who won the oscar. It is literally meaningless to me in my appreciation for the movie. 2) the critical acclaim for gran torino is much, much less than you imagine.3) The PTA movies I have seen are There will be blood, Punch drunk love, Boogie Nights and magnolia. I LOVED every one of them. Not liked. I think There will be blood was one of the top 10 movies of the decade, I would argue boogie nights was one of the top 10 of the 90's, and I could even probably talk myself into magnolia being a top 20 90's movie, but I'd need to sit down and think about that one longer. He may not make much, but every thing he makes is extremely high quality. My top tier of directors are directors I would go watch their next movie, knowing nothing else about the movie other than they are directing it, and PTA is in that tier, without question.4) Well, I said living directors, not active ( though Coppola is making a small budget movie right now) But, what Eastwood has done for me lately is Gran torino, and I would bet my testicles that the next major release Coppola puts out would be better than gran torino.

I think bigd needs a little more back up here on how horrible gran torino was. I mean I still think that it must be some sort of joke that it was made and people actually said they liked it. I honestly cannot comprehend how anybody who didn't need special education until grade twelve could consider it beyond mediocre. it was worse than Crash.

1) Wait, I shouldn't dismiss movies because I didn't like them? What other possible reason could I have to dismiss them? This is my list, where I rank directors. If you like Eastwood, fantastic. If the public loves him, that's great too. But it has zero effect where I personally rate a director, and where I would put him on any list I make. I'm not making a list for entertainment weekly, I'm making it for myself. And i REALLY care less about who won the oscar. It is literally meaningless to me in my appreciation for the movie. 2) the critical acclaim for gran torino is much, much less than you imagine.3) The PTA movies I have seen are There will be blood, Punch drunk love, Boogie Nights and magnolia. I LOVED every one of them. Not liked. I think There will be blood was one of the top 10 movies of the decade, I would argue boogie nights was one of the top 10 of the 90's, and I could even probably talk myself into magnolia being a top 20 90's movie, but I'd need to sit down and think about that one longer. He may not make much, but every thing he makes is extremely high quality. My top tier of directors are directors I would go watch their next movie, knowing nothing else about the movie other than they are directing it, and PTA is in that tier, without question.4) Well, I said living directors, not active ( though Coppola is making a small budget movie right now) But, what Eastwood has done for me lately is Gran torino, and I would bet my testicles that the next major release Coppola puts out would be better than gran torino.
1. You are right, of course. I was getting a condescending/dismissive tone from your post. ie. Only an idiot would consider these good movies and consider Eastwood a top director. Re-reading your posts, this was not the case, I apologize.2. Nah, I know it didn't get raves across the board, but the general critical consensus was still positive. I understand it's shortcomings, but I still found it to be a very enjoyable movie.3. See point 1. Of course your Tier 1 can contain whoever you see fit to include.4. Fair enough.
I think bigd needs a little more back up here on how horrible gran torino was. I mean I still think that it must be some sort of joke that it was made and people actually said they liked it. I honestly cannot comprehend how anybody who didn't need special education until grade twelve could consider it beyond mediocre. it was worse than Crash.
Unpossible.I liked Gran Torino because of its unevenness. The performances were theatrical (I mean like stage work) and I felt the presence of Eastwood's history and successes in the best possible way. I feel like seeing an Eastwood movie is similar to seeing a Woody Allen or Spike Lee--you check it out and see where there head's are at.About Nolan, I like him, but was really frustrated with the ending of The Prestige.
Well, yeah, because then it would be awesome.
huh, yeah, that would be kind of awesome.
Unpossible.I liked Gran Torino because of its unevenness. The performances were theatrical (I mean like stage work) and I felt the presence of Eastwood's history and successes in the best possible way. I feel like seeing an Eastwood movie is similar to seeing a Woody Allen or Spike Lee--you check it out and see where there head's are at.About Nolan, I like him, but was really frustrated with the ending of The Prestige.
so I guess you're in on the joke too.

I would place the Coens in Tier 1. (EDIT: Not sure who else, I would have to think on it)As far as the OP.1. Memento2. Inception3. Batman Begins4. The Prestige5. The Dark Knight6. Insomnia

It is hard for me to say this because Pulp Fiction is one of my favorite movies... but Quentin Tarantino should not be in a discussion of greatest directors. Not even close imo.And now I'm preparing to get torn apart.

It is hard for me to say this because Pulp Fiction is one of my favorite movies... but Quentin Tarantino should not be in a discussion of greatest directors. Not even close imo.And now I'm preparing to get torn apart.
Reservoir Dogs, the aforementioned Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, and Inglourious Basterds are all, to varying extents, pretty outstanding. Very few (count on one hand) directors consistently make interesting, entertaining films. QT is one of them.
Reservoir Dogs, the aforementioned Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, and Inglorious Basterds are all, to varying extents, pretty outstanding.
I think the Kill Bills are excellent too.Check out his rotten tomato scores:Dogs - 96%Pulp - 94%Basterds - 88%Jackie Brown - 85%Kill Bill 1 - 85%Kill Bill 2 - 85%
Reservoir Dogs, the aforementioned Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, and Inglourious Basterds are all, to varying extents, pretty outstanding. Very few (count on one hand) directors consistently make interesting, entertaining films. QT is one of them.
I think he has one classic (Pulp Fiction), and all his other movies are just entertaining. To me he is a one trick pony, he is good at making gruesome movies, where other directors have the ability to make classic movies that aren't always alike.
I'm surprised The Outlaw Josey Wales hasn't been brought up yet. To this day I still think it's the best movie Eastwood has directed.
My dad used to watch that movie at least once a month the entire time I was in HS, so I have seen it numerous times. It is a great movie and I didn't know he directed it until this thread :club:

Pulp Fiction, res dogs, Kill bill V1, and basterds would all make my top 100 list if I made one. KBV2 and Jackie Brown are also excellent movies.

Pulp Fiction, res dogs, Kill bill V1, and basterds would all make my top 100 list if I made one. KBV2 and Jackie Brown are also excellent movies.
For me only Pulp Fiction and Res Dogs would make the top 100. Basterds, KBV2, and JB are great. For some reason I wasn't the biggest fan of KBV1.

I was giddy after the first time I saw Kill Bill Vol. 1. I would've just sat in the theater and watched it again if it wasn't the last showing of the night.Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Basterds would both make my top ten if it was even possible for me to make a top ten list.I think my QT order is:1a. Pulp Fiction1b. Inglorious Basterds3. Reservoir Dogs4. Kill Bills5. Jackie Brownbut I still liked Jackie Brown a whole lot.

I was giddy after the first time I saw Kill Bill Vol. 1. I would've just sat in the theater and watched it again if it wasn't the last showing of the night.Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Basterds would both make my top ten if it was even possible for me to make a top ten list.I think my QT order is:1a. Pulp Fiction1b. Inglorious Basterds3. Reservoir Dogs4. Kill Bills5. Jackie Brownbut I still liked Jackie Brown a whole lot.
My QT would be 1. Pulp Fiction2. Reservoir Dogs3. Jackie Brown4. Inglorious Basterds5. Kill Bill 26. Kill Bill 1

I never knew Eastwood directed Firefox, that was a great movie at the time. Not sure how well it holds up because I havent seen it in 20 years, but I remember it being really intense and well acted.

I like most of Eastwood's Westerns. I enjoyed Pale Rider and Outlaw Jose Wales, quite a lot. Although Unforgiven might be in my top 10 ever, I think Eastwood is a clear 2nd tier director, no higher.I didn't really like Reservoir Dogs. I saw it like 15 years after it's release and it either "didn't hold up" or "my expectations were way too high".The dialogue in the restaurant is awesome, in fact, the dialogue throughout, which is QT's strong point, is top tier.I would put QT as #2 on a list of writers, after the Coens, but he would not be near the top of my top 10 directors, and the Coens would be.