Daniel If You Want To Shoot 80 -here Is How To Do It!

Daniel, please take this advice in regards to your golf bet. Play to your strengths!! Which should be tremendous hand eye co-ordination. Why are Mario Lemieux and a ton of other hockey greats also very talented golfers - 1) they are superb athletes 2) more importantly they built up extremely good hand eye coordination from all those years playing hockey. You should put in at least two hours a day on the putting and chipping green until you are at your absolute best - this will always be your strength anyway - and it is where you will be able to shave 5-10 strokes a round. Your goal should be 28 -30 putts a round - obviously chipping will be as important. If you put in the time the improvement should be immediate.As for you long game, pick three clubs that are your favorite - 1 wood - one middle iron and one short iron 9 thru sand wedge. Hit only these three clubs each round for the next two days. Obviously if you have a hybrid or 4 wood that you are confident with, this would be a great bonus. Your goal should be to never make a score higher than 6 on any hole and no higher than 5 on par 3's. Then you need to map the course you play from the green backwards, for example on a 550 yard par 5 you aren't able to reach it so what two shots will give you a comfortable approach - Similar to Bill Walsh scripting the 1st 40 plays of every game you should know every shot you are going to hit to get you a comfortable approach or chip for your 3rd shot on every hole then scramble like a pro. Pick the 3 clubs you are most likely to keep in play and hit them on every hole - eliminate the 7's and 8's on the scorecard and don't worry about distance so much. Also from reading your blog it sounds like you are way too concerned with a variety of swing thoughts when you are over the ball - relax, focus - keep your eye on the ball, pick a club you are comfortable hitting, and use your hand eye co-ordination. You can hit two 175 yard shots down the middle and be within wedge range most of the time - putting alot of 5's on the card - which should be your goal. Think of it like an amateur sitting down at the poker table with you and trying to outplay you after the flop - they are at an extreme disadvantage -- if you can manage the golf course your scores will drastically improve. For what it is worth I am a 2 handicap and was a state medalist in high school and played college golf. I have won numerous bets that I couldn't break 80 using only a 3 wood a 6 iron a wedge and a putter.......don't worry about distance -put it play,putt & chip like a pro - Good luck

Daniel, please take this advice in regards to your golf bet. Play to your strengths!! Which should be tremendous hand eye co-ordination. Why are Mario Lemieux and a ton of other hockey greats also very talented golfers - 1) they are superb athletes 2) more importantly they built up extremely good hand eye coordination from all those years playing hockey. You should put in at least two hours a day on the putting and chipping green until you are at your absolute best - this will always be your strength anyway - and it is where you will be able to shave 5-10 strokes a round. Your goal should be 28 -30 putts a round - obviously chipping will be as important. If you put in the time the improvement should be immediate.As for you long game, pick three clubs that are your favorite - 1 wood - one middle iron and one short iron 9 thru sand wedge. Hit only these three clubs each round for the next two days. Obviously if you have a hybrid or 4 wood that you are confident with, this would be a great bonus. Your goal should be to never make a score higher than 6 on any hole and no higher than 5 on par 3's. Then you need to map the course you play from the green backwards, for example on a 550 yard par 5 you aren't able to reach it so what two shots will give you a comfortable approach - Similar to Bill Walsh scripting the 1st 40 plays of every game you should know every shot you are going to hit to get you a comfortable approach or chip for your 3rd shot on every hole then scramble like a pro. Pick the 3 clubs you are most likely to keep in play and hit them on every hole - eliminate the 7's and 8's on the scorecard and don't worry about distance so much. Also from reading your blog it sounds like you are way too concerned with a variety of swing thoughts when you are over the ball - relax, focus - keep your eye on the ball, pick a club you are comfortable hitting, and use your hand eye co-ordination. You can hit two 175 yard shots down the middle and be within wedge range most of the time - putting alot of 5's on the card - which should be your goal. Think of it like an amateur sitting down at the poker table with you and trying to outplay you after the flop - they are at an extreme disadvantage -- if you can manage the golf course your scores will drastically improve. For what it is worth I am a 2 handicap and was a state medalist in high school and played college golf. I have won numerous bets that I couldn't break 80 using only a 3 wood a 6 iron a wedge and a putter.......don't worry about distance -put it play,putt & chip like a pro - Good luck
exactly!
  • 2 weeks later...
anyone think DN can actually do this? i have serious doubts
Read his blog and tweets.His last round he shot 85 and that included a triple on the last hole when he tried for an Eagle to hit 80.Another thing to consider is that once he's out of practice mode and into low score mode if he starts a round off poorly he can abandon that round and start again. I don't think he has a problem getting a tee time.He has a shot.
His last round he shot 85 and that included a triple on the last hole when he tried for an Eagle to hit 80.
Jesus, that must've been one hellacious putt.
Read his blog and tweets.His last round he shot 85 and that included a triple on the last hole when he tried for an Eagle to hit 80.Another thing to consider is that once he's out of practice mode and into low score mode if he starts a round off poorly he can abandon that round and start again. I don't think he has a problem getting a tee time.He has a shot.
yeah to get to 85 from the 100+ from a few weeks ago is pretty damn impressive, i'll give him that. does 80 on the number count or does it have to be sub-80? his blog today said he hits driver on all of the par 3's except one? that can't be good...just sounds like the course is too long imo

great tips by the OP..Thanks i will definetely use them for my benefit..I dont play as much golf as I like, and havent really taken serious lessons...My goal is to break 90 this year...i shoot consistently from 95-105..I hit the ball well, with usually no mishits most of the round..However like the OP said i dont practice enough the short game. My putting is terrible and my game from 80 yds in needs a lot of work. I can drive the ball straight from 220-250 but the short game is really bad. Once i get the short game in order I like to add about 20-30yds to my drive..I have a slight left to right slice that takes distance off my ball.Shooting 90 is a reality and shooting 80 would be a dream..Long way to go yet for me.

Jesus, that must've been one hellacious putt.
Yah, I think it was from about 150 yards out.
yeah to get to 85 from the 100+ from a few weeks ago is pretty damn impressive, i'll give him that. does 80 on the number count or does it have to be sub-80? his blog today said he hits driver on all of the par 3's except one? that can't be good...just sounds like the course is too long imo
80 on the button will win him the bet. I don't know how large the bet is but Daniel has said it's a large one in his blog.

The real secret to lower scores in golf is:Course SelectionI've shot in the mid 60s on multiple times at this course:funny-golf-pictures-04.jpgI hardly ever two putt anymore

The real secret to lower scores in golf is:Course SelectionI've shot in the mid 60s on multiple times at this course:funny-golf-pictures-04.jpgI hardly ever two putt anymore
Name of the course please. I would like to make a tee time for this weekend.

20 May 2010, 1:29 pmRealKidPoker: Two holes to play and I need bogey bogey for 8020 May 2010, 1:46 pmRealKidPoker: Yikes was off the green in two. Hit awful pitch awful putt had to make 7 footer and did. Phew. Need a bogey now on a 413 yard par 4. 1 time!20 May 2010, 1:59 pmRealKidPoker: YES!!! 4 footer for a bogey! I just shot 80! That's a big screw you to all of you who said I couldn't do it!20 May 2010, 2:10 pmRealKidPoker: 37 43 80 FW 11/14 GIR 7/18 Putts 32 Pars 7 Birdies 2. Now I got steaming golfers out here wanting to play high.

20 May 2010, 1:59 pmRealKidPoker: YES!!! 4 footer for a bogey! I just shot 80! That's a big screw you to all of you who said I couldn't do it!
Well that is just not very nice at all!Congrats D
20 May 2010, 1:29 pmRealKidPoker: Two holes to play and I need bogey bogey for 8020 May 2010, 1:46 pmRealKidPoker: Yikes was off the green in two. Hit awful pitch awful putt had to make 7 footer and did. Phew. Need a bogey now on a 413 yard par 4. 1 time!20 May 2010, 1:59 pmRealKidPoker: YES!!! 4 footer for a bogey! I just shot 80! That's a big screw you to all of you who said I couldn't do it!20 May 2010, 2:10 pmRealKidPoker: 37 43 80 FW 11/14 GIR 7/18 Putts 32 Pars 7 Birdies 2. Now I got steaming golfers out here wanting to play high.
Well done, I am shocked from what I have read. I didn't think you had a chance. I took me 2.5 years of steady golf to shoot my first 79.
Well done, I am shocked from what I have read. I didn't think you had a chance. I took me 2.5 years of steady golf to shoot my first 79.
It is a pretty big accomplishment, especially being so short off the tee. Of course you and I play golf on different courses when we can, is a little different than playing one course over and over and having a swing couch every single time helping us.But it is still pretty cool. I would be curios how DN does on another random course now. Probably shoot in the high 80s low 90s?
It is a pretty big accomplishment, especially being so short off the tee. Of course you and I play golf on different courses when we can, is a little different than playing one course over and over and having a swing couch every single time helping us.But it is still pretty cool. I would be curios how DN does on another random course now. Probably shoot in the high 80s low 90s?
Hard to say..I would have bet a fairly large amount (and slept well while waiting) that a guy who is hitting 3w into par 4's, says he can't reach a couple of them would be able to shoot 80. Obviously he is VERY good around the green...and certainly not the typical golfer. 8 over with 7 of 18 greens hit is awesome...I don't recall ever seeing something like that.
Last Summer Daniel shot 89 82 90 at the big Celeb Golf Tournament at Tahoe

This thread is dead, since DN won his bet (great work DN), so why don't we take a poll of who is using what type of swing right now? Personally, I just tried out Stack and Tilt last night for the first time at the range and it seems like the bomb. Of course new swing theories always start out great, but don't usually end great....

This thread is dead, since DN won his bet (great work DN), so why don't we take a poll of who is using what type of swing right now? Personally, I just tried out Stack and Tilt last night for the first time at the range and it seems like the bomb. Of course new swing theories always start out great, but don't usually end great....
I once asked my buddy who is a scratch golfer why I seem to hit so well on the range, but don't do very well on the course.He put down his club, looked at me and said:" Because you suck"I've never wondered ever since