Well, we can certainly see where you got your picks then! Basically all of the "Career Year" players are guys with 1 solid year and are young. As you probably guess, their next year could easily be worse after a big rookie year, set a trend, or be a breakout. You'll probably have some of each, though some of those rankings are definitely on the generous side. Johnson was a nice sleeper. Roberts ranked at 3rd 2B is quite generous - similar to Montero.I disagree with John that Tulowitzki is an overpayment. Except it follows the same mistake that I made with Mauer and Pedroia - the price is fine, but they'll probably be a Tier 1 guy, and require 40/20/20 raises...that'll get prohibitively expensive fast.Zimmerman could end up being good value. Posey was much too expensive, there are guys with similar potential available now for $4-6. Same with Escobar. He is a nice prospect, but anything over $8 is getting pricey.San Francisco is probably a top-5 pitching team, but especially great for our structure with daily changes. If you're lucky, some weakness at their 4-5 starters could drop them into Tier-2.I like the values of Rasmus, Loney and Bruce. I considered sending a trade offer for Bruce and/or Span, but I see now that you think they are good value too.Hamilton will be your turning point. If we were drafting last year, he'd have gone for $50. This year, most of us didn't want to tie up that much. In an expert league, he probably goes for more based on his upside, so that reflects well on you. Then again, he is coming off an injury and a poor year, is hitting his late 20's, and spent most of his late teens and early 20's mercilessly raping his body. So...you might not get 5-year value out of him :club: But yeah, overall a good job. Your draft was very Dale-like - it was apparent that you had guys you were confident in, and were willing to go a couple bucks extra on them. Some of us think the rankings are a little generous, but they're not completely absurd.I am interested in Rasmus, Bruce and Span, as good value plays, not as super sleepers or anything. Feel free to PM me if you'd be interested in talking!That was fun! Anyone want to give a John-like rundown on my team?
Like whom? :ts
  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like whom? :club:
Heh. Wait for my picks...then we'll mock how far off I am. He is probably half a season closer than most guys at his level, and better than the other guys who'll play as much as him. Not sure if that is worth $10 and an auction spot, but we'll see. He's learning from a great example in Molina, and they've made it pretty clear he is starting next year...most teams don't telegraph their plans so clearly.
Who is eligible to be picked in these rounds?
Anyone, including players with no MLB experience, undrafted players, Santa Claus...whoever.Andre's pick, Jay's pick and Nick's pick are all up!Steve is on the clock, the John and Adam. Wow, we all have very common names.
1. (3) Grady Sizemore $32 2. (11) Joe Mauer $47 3. (13) Carl Crawford $37 4. (24) Boston Pitching $20 5. (38) Dustin Pedroia $44 6. (45) Pablo Sandoval $28 7. (90) Asdrubal Cabrera $14 8. (103) Kurt Suzuki $10 9. (145) Martín Prado $4 10. (153) Milton Bradley $1 11. (157) Detroit Pitching $4 12. (164) Conor Jackson $1 13. (167) Rajai Davis $1 14. (168) Alberto Callaspo $1
Very much a 14 that look to be contending right away. Big contract for Pedroia, so that might cause pain in the future. Super-killer-stupendous-sick deals for Prado, Detroit, Milton, and Jackson.Callaspo is a strange situation, obviously you can't go wrong with a quarter contract, but personally he's always been a bit of a mirage to me. Certain things about him look great from far away. Suzuki was one of my "bait" nominations haha. He's a fine player, just had to get some catchers out of the way so the fight over Napoli wouldn't be as large.

Some of the bloggers who write for the Yahoo baseball site had a fantasy auction using a $260 budget. Quite comparable to ours, so I thought it would be interesting to see a selection of their players and what prices they went for. In parenthesis is the price the player went for in the FCPBL. This is not a keeper league so keep that in mind as well.$45 Albert Pujols ($49)$45 Hanley Ramirez ($56)$42 Chase Utley ($39)$42 Alex Rodriguez ($49)$42 Ryan Howard ($49)$41 Ryan Braun ($49)$39 Carl Crawford ($37)$39 Mark Teixeira ($49)$38 Matt Kemp ($48)$38 Prince Fielder ($49)$36 Evan Longoria ($48)$34 David Wright ($33)$34 Jacoby Ellsbury ($38)$32 Troy Tulowitzki ($37)$30 Joe Mauer ($47)$30 Kevin Youkilis ($24)$29 Matt Holliday ($34)$29 Ryan Zimmerman ($35)$28 Grady Sizemore ($32)$27 Adrian Gonzalez ($31)$27 Jimmy Rollins ($29)$26 Ichiro Suzuki ($31)$25 Nick Markakis ($36)$24 Robinson Cano ($28)$23 Nelson Cruz ($15)$21 Jose Reyes ($31)$21 Adam Dunn ($21)$16 Jay Bruce ($10)$15 Ian Stewart ($18)$15 Mike Napoli ($10)$1 Nick Johnson ($8)

Very much a 14 that look to be contending right away. Big contract for Pedroia, so that might cause pain in the future. Super-killer-stupendous-sick deals for Prado, Detroit, Milton, and Jackson.Callaspo is a strange situation, obviously you can't go wrong with a quarter contract, but personally he's always been a bit of a mirage to me. Certain things about him look great from far away. Suzuki was one of my "bait" nominations haha. He's a fine player, just had to get some catchers out of the way so the fight over Napoli wouldn't be as large.
Thanks for your thoughts. I have high hopes for Prado, and Callaspo as a mini-Prado. Both could easily bust. Plus, they could both lose their extra position eligibility with a good season. I totally agree about Callaspo, he looks great, but there has to be a reason no one anywhere is high on the guy. I guess when no one is willing to pencil you in for a starting spot on Kansas City's infield after a .300 season...there are some questions :club: I think Suzuki was an awesome deal. Then again, he is one of those that the guide I was using on was higher than most other people's, so...I hadn't targeted him at all, but he's one of my favourite acquisitions. I was targeting Napoli, but could tell by the Suzuki bidding that others were too. I think Suzuki will end up being in the top 5 catchers if Oakland is half-decent.I think I'll be a good team this year, but need some luck to be among the best. I do think I'm well set up for a few years down the road. The Pedroia contract is really causing me pain. According to my super-secret projection thingy, he was the 4th-most valuable player in an auction draft (Pujols, Hanley, Mauer, Pedroia) and in the top-10 in overall points. Still, I didn't fully account for the 40% raise he'll need unless he gets hurt, which would kill me.My goal for this season - stay around average, have Mauer and Pedroia miss 2 months, but be back for the playoffs, then run the table.I'll probably stay young mostly in the later rounds, but look to pick up an undervalued veteran or two in the next few rounds to fill out my starting spots.
Some of the bloggers who write for the Yahoo baseball site had a fantasy auction using a $260 budget. Quite comparable to ours, so I thought it would be interesting to see a selection of their players and what prices they went for. In parenthesis is the price the player went for in the FCPBL. This is not a keeper league so keep that in mind as well.
Where was Pedroia? Heh.Important that it isn't a keeper league, but also there guys won't need raises. Prices look about right to me, though having Hanley so much higher than Pujols in a non-keeper league screams of positional-scarcity wonks going overboard.
I have two guys ready...please don't pick one of them.
Good luck with that as my guys as well keep getting picked. Then I left my sheet at work and picked my 3rd C on the list and not my 1st or 2nd. Bah!
Dubey,I really need Nick to sign up at the yahoo league site. Like really really need him to do this. Thanks!
Screw it, I'll sign up for him, I know his password.
Woohoo...Brett Wallace is not one of the two I have lined up.
loool. I almost picked Wallace last round, even though I have him closer to 6-8 on my list. I knew there was no f'ing way he was getting past a couple of Serge or Dubey picks!Good grab...even if it is a round or two early :club:

I really hope the guy I actually wanted with this pick is still available when it comes back to me. I didn't think the Jays top non-pitching prospect would make it through serge's two picks though...

rules question: for prospects picked in this draft, if they still haven't played a game in the majors, can they be sent to the farm team under the once-per-career provision for prospects drafted in the entry draft?

rules question: for prospects picked in this draft, if they still haven't played a game in the majors, can they be sent to the farm team under the once-per-career provision for prospects drafted in the entry draft?
No.The intention was not to allow that anyway. If anyone had planned on doing that and picked accordingly, we can review the wording and have a competition committee discussion. Very good question.
No.The intention was not to allow that anyway. If anyone had planned on doing that and picked accordingly, we can review the wording and have a competition committee discussion. Very good question.
figured as much, thanks.

Can we have the entry draft moved until after the MLB entry draft? With all entry draft eligible players being taken now, it's making an actual 1st round pick, more like a 27th round pick. At least if we were able to select the best of 2010's group, then it'll make a 1st rounder feel as though it has more bite. Plus, guys picked in the last round of the main draft will be worth $0.50. Then we go into the entry draft where it's even shittier guys being picked and they earn $2.00? Doesn't seem right.