Old Reliable.My first Acoustic. I call her "The Acoustic". Clever. Now that I think about it, she may have predated Skunk. Dark wood of some sort. Washburn Unknown birthdate – late 70s early 80s. Purchased Used from a music store in Berkley MI along with my first decent amp. Still some of the best natural harmonics I’ve ever been able to get out of a guitar. We've traveled and moved together any number of times.Status: We’re still together. She survived the break-in that claimed Woody and Skunk because she rarely spends time with with the other girls. Longest tenure in the Harem. She sits in her stand, loyal, on call for when I need her.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First and OnlyI was given my first guitar last Christmas. It's a new MIM Telecaster, black body, white pick guard, maple fretboard. It's nothing crazy or special, but I think it's pretty. I only started playing last Fall when I moved in with a roommate who had a telecaster of his own and a nice acoustic Martin. I'd been meaning to learn for a while, but it's difficult to start if you don't, you know, have access to a guitar, and it's difficult to convince oneself to buy one if you've never played one before. It's sort of a Catch-22. So, I had him teach me a bit, I learned some chords, and have since been learning on my own, using the internet as a guide. I guess it's going well. I'm still very much a beginner, but I try to play every day and learn new songs as often as I can. If nothing else, I've discovered that learning guitar is extremely difficult and takes a lot of practice and work. Happily, I have enough love of music to stay committed and to push myself. The work is hard, but the reward can be large. Those moments where things seem to "click," even if few and far between, are very nice.Any advice from you experts for how to start out / how to make a plan to progress and get good / things to focus on / etc?

First and OnlyI was given my first guitar last Christmas. It's a new MIM Telecaster, black body, white pick guard, maple fretboard. It's nothing crazy or special, but I think it's pretty. I only started playing last Fall when I moved in with a roommate who had a telecaster of his own and a nice acoustic Martin. I'd been meaning to learn for a while, but it's difficult to start if you don't, you know, have access to a guitar, and it's difficult to convince oneself to buy one if you've never played one before. It's sort of a Catch-22. So, I had him teach me a bit, I learned some chords, and have since been learning on my own, using the internet as a guide. I guess it's going well. I'm still very much a beginner, but I try to play every day and learn new songs as often as I can. If nothing else, I've discovered that learning guitar is extremely difficult and takes a lot of practice and work. Happily, I have enough love of music to stay committed and to push myself. The work is hard, but the reward can be large. Those moments where things seem to "click," even if few and far between, are very nice.Any advice from you experts for how to start out / how to make a plan to progress and get good / things to focus on / etc?
MIM tele is a hot guitar. Hugely popular in the indie world too; thing's a workhorse; amazing value. There are so many things to learn. This is super trill: http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/guitar-cod...itar-codex.htmlthis site is good just in general: http://justinguitar.com/Learning a little bit of theory is so useful. People swear by this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/063406651...4P185RA6KVBMVBWAlso, learning to play a lot of chords is really a great foundation...you might want to buy like the complete Beatles sheet music set or something you like that's similarly diverse, thorough and fun, and just force your way through it. Along with doing other stuff, like messing with that Justin guy's lessons and learning other songs, you'll come out the other end with a ton of knowledge and the ability to fret most chords. I hate recommending method books to adults, because no one wants to play "Camp Town Racer" or some stupid shit...with the internet and all now, learning to play a song you like is so easy and instant, I think those two sites, youtube searches, and possible a good songbook and that theory book would be a pretty great place to start...but I'm a horrible teacher and learned when I was a kid and didn't use the internet, so there are probably better answers.

Like this:http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Complete-Cho...r/dp/0634022296If you peak inside, there are chord diagrams at the beginning, and then throughout the song, it just tells you the chord to play, and you can learn them and then play along with the album or whatever if you like. You'll learn a shit-ton of chords, be able to impress simple girls, etc. This is seeming like a better and better idea to me.

MIM tele is a hot guitar. Hugely popular in the indie world too; thing's a workhorse; amazing value...
Yes. Great guitar. No apologies necessary for that one.Also all good advice on learning stuff.Also there are some pretty good DVDs for specific styles.There used to be a site called "Power Tabs" that had guitar tabs that you could play on your computer. It would step thru the song playing note by note and you could slow it down or loop sections to concentrate on learning them. Even as a relatively experienced player this helped me learn a ton of songs. They got shut down, but there is another computer tab source that I haven't tried that is likely a similar sort of thing. I'll try and find it.
Like this:http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Complete-Cho...r/dp/0634022296If you peak inside, there are chord diagrams at the beginning, and then throughout the song, it just tells you the chord to play, and you can learn them and then play along with the album or whatever if you like. You'll learn a shit-ton of chords, be able to impress simple girls, etc. This is seeming like a better and better idea to me.
Also, the Beatles used a pissload of jazz/blues type chords, too, so a book like this has added value in learning chords that suit other styles of music.Anyone know a good book that discusses open tunings and "odd" tunings, like Keith Richard and Joni Mitchell use?
This is the site I used when starting out: http://guitar.about.com/library/blguitarlessonarchive.htmIf anything it does a good job of teaching you some of the most common chords, strum patterns, and a couple scales. Glad to see you're playing every day. Playing every day, even if it's only for 10 minutes, really helps.Edit: If you ever do the youtube thing look for Marty Schwartz. He has lots of clips from specific lessons to covering songs. I think he does a great job of explaining the song/subject. I strongly suggest looking him up.

My new S470 has a crack between the neck and headstock. Just noticed it last week after the move. Pissed. Too late to send back for a refund. Now have to try and see if Ibanez will honor their 1 year warranty and not blame me and get out of fixing it. Would rather send it out than take it and spend more pocket money that I don't have on my guy that thinks he can fix it without breaking the maple top on the headstock. Grrrrr.

My new S470 has a crack between the neck and headstock. Just noticed it last week after the move. Pissed. Too late to send back for a refund. Now have to try and see if Ibanez will honor their 1 year warranty and not blame me and get out of fixing it. Would rather send it out than take it and spend more pocket money that I don't have on my guy that thinks he can fix it without breaking the maple top on the headstock. Grrrrr.
That sux. Probably won't affect tone, but still stinks. Might be worth trying to return it for Store Credit.
That sux. Probably won't affect tone, but still stinks. Might be worth trying to return it for Store Credit.
It's growing while not even being played. It's gone from maybe _____ that big to ________________ that big over the weekend with no playing at all. Tried for store credit and it is past the 45 day return policy by like 12 days. lol Never buy a guitar in the middle of a big move because you just case it and wait to settle in. Since it has grown the B and high E are dead on the first 3 frets.
It's growing while not even being played. It's gone from maybe _____ that big to ________________ that big over the weekend with no playing at all. Tried for store credit and it is past the 45 day return policy by like 12 days. lol Never buy a guitar in the middle of a big move because you just case it and wait to settle in. Since it has grown the B and high E are dead on the first 3 frets.
Is the guitar stringed right now? The tension might be causing the crack to get bigger. If not, then it's almost certainly some kind of situation where you could convince someone it was a workmanship defect (?).

Yeah it is stringed but loosened to the point there should be very little if any tension. I fully expect that Ibanez will decide that it was my fault and thus not fall under warranty work. I can save up some cash and my guy can fix if need be and everything I have read the last couple days seems to point to the fact that by gluing the neck back together is just as strong if not stronger than if the crack never happened.Or I can put it up for sale. It's a $800 guitar that I didn't spend $800 on since it was 65% off. I can probably get my money back if I can find someone who is handy and more adventurous at recracking necks. lol

My First Redhead.Marilu was born in about 1970 or 71 (Gibson Serial Numbering for that time is inexact). Red/Orange Sunburst Les Paul. When we met she was with some Wedding/KofC Hall Band dude who needed cash and I needed a Guitar to replace the gear I lost in the Burglary. I think I paid $250. She has the original mini P-90 Humbuckers which just freaking ROCK. Even in played condition this guitar is today easily worth more than all of my other electric guitars combined. Status: I’ll never leave her.

Yeah it is stringed but loosened to the point there should be very little if any tension. I fully expect that Ibanez will decide that it was my fault and thus not fall under warranty work. I can save up some cash and my guy can fix if need be and everything I have read the last couple days seems to point to the fact that by gluing the neck back together is just as strong if not stronger than if the crack never happened.Or I can put it up for sale. It's a $800 guitar that I didn't spend $800 on since it was 65% off. I can probably get my money back if I can find someone who is handy and more adventurous at recracking necks. lol
If you can, sell it for what you have in it and go on to the next relationship.

My First Quack.Around the time I was in Grad School, I sort of stopped playing. Old Reliable was still around, but she was mostly ignored. A few years after getting married, I started getting back into music again. My wife is a singer and supports my interest. I went thru this Stevie Ray Vaughan phase and decided I HAD to have a Strat. I was driven by lust, but never made the commitment. Then my wife took the initiative and introduced me to Rioja - a wine colored MIM Fender Strat born in 2002. Maple fretboard. Have I mentioned how cool my wife is? Immediately replaced Rioja’s pups with a set of CS Texas Specials. Very nice guitar. Took me a while to get used to single coils again after so many years with the mini P-90s. My ears just weren’t ready to accept that tone, but I retrained my ears. Recently nearly traded her and some cash for a used Eric Johnson Strat – I really should have made that deal. Status: Still in the Harem but very neglected. Rarely given any attention.

Ditto on everything said about MIM Teles. I'm on #2 MIM Tele- #1 (Tele Partscaster with mostly MIM parts) is presently sitting somewhere at the bottom of Lake Michigan off Whiting Park. Here's the list of 'mods' done to mine.None.MIM in general is underrated as hell. Honestly, a lot of the lore that goes into a lot of 'vintage' stuff (which now includes MIJ- LOL- I remember when they were unmercifully mocked) is total voo-doo horseshit from an objective, performance standpoint. Statement that will make every guitar 'collector' howl: You're substantially less likely to encounter a shitty, modern, $700 Stratocaster than you are to encounter a shitty, vintage, $12,000 Stratocaster; (per what Leo Fender himself has said). behold the miracles of modern manufacturing.Oh, and if anyone wants a retarded-good performing, inexpensive acoustic from a sound standpoint, look into a Washburn D10 series w/ elixirs.Fingerstyle Guitar

Ditto on everything said about MIM Teles. I'm on #2 MIM Tele- #1 (Tele Partscaster with mostly MIM parts) is presently sitting somewhere at the bottom of Lake Michigan off Whiting Park. Here's the list of 'mods' done to mine.None.MIM in general is underrated as hell. Honestly, a lot of the lore that goes into a lot of 'vintage' stuff (which now includes MIJ- LOL- I remember when they were unmercifully mocked) is total voo-doo horseshit from an objective, performance standpoint. Statement that will make every guitar 'collector' howl: You're substantially less likely to encounter a shitty, modern, $700 Stratocaster than you are to encounter a shitty, vintage, $12,000 Stratocaster; (per what Leo Fender himself has said). behold the miracles of modern manufacturing.Oh, and if anyone wants a retarded-good performing, inexpensive acoustic from a sound standpoint, look into a Washburn D10 series w/ elixirs.
I agree from a "utility" point of view that a modern MIM instrument is likely superior in terms of playability, build quality, components, and perhaps even tone when compared to a "vintage" instrument....but you collect coins, so you know that "value" is based on many different factors. Or would you rather have a nice new shiny penny vs. one of those dingy old things?The "Sitting at the bottom of Lake Michigan Story" sounds like it could be interesting.

My First Twang.Rita is another redhead. She is a Fender Nashville Telecaster born in Mexico in 2003. Maple. Again, we were introduced by my wife. Have I mentioned how cool my wife is? I was still in my SRV phase and didn’t think I could make the jump to a “real” two pick-up Telecaster. So I went with the 3 pup Nashville which has a Strat configuration. Very nice guitar. Doesn't give the full Tele Twang but some very interesting tones. I may convert her to a two Humbucker Tele at some point. Status: Still in the Harem. I play her usually when I want to play in a non-standard tuning or with a Capo.

My First Redhead.Marilu was born in about 1970 or 71 (Gibson Serial Numbering for that time is inexact). Red/Orange Sunburst Les Paul. When we met she was with some Wedding/KofC Hall Band dude who needed cash and I needed a Guitar to replace the gear I lost in the Burglary. I think I paid $250. She has the original mini P-90 Humbuckers which just freaking ROCK. Even in played condition this guitar is today easily worth more than all of my other electric guitars combined. Status: I’ll never leave her.
$250! Wow, just wow.
The "Sitting at the bottom of Lake Michigan Story" sounds like it could be interesting.
Not really.For all I know, the damn thing floated and someone just picked it up... I'd like to think it's out there, though, sitting at the bottom.
Any ES-175 love here?
I've always been a big Steve Howe fan. Anything good enough for him is, well, probably too good for me. And certainly Wes Montgomery is cool too. But the ES-175 is a bit of a "Jazz Box" and prone to feedback. Cool guitar. On my list of "Maybe Someday" Guitars. I also like the Guild Starfire III which seems a little warmer and "alt-Country".

A Love So Rare and True.Still chasing the SRV Tone and thinking I’d be a Strat Man, I’d long lusted for an American Vintage Re-Issue 1957 Fender Strat. A friend on a guitar forum alerted me to a two tone burst AV57RI at Elderly Music - really the best "independent" stringed instrument store I've ever seen. I made the 90 minute drive to Lansing only to find a “SOLD” tag hanging around her neck. My Peggy Sue was betrothed to another man!!! I played her anyway and of course she was everything I ever wanted. As I handed her back to the sales dude he said: “Ya know… the guy had 24 hours from yesterday. He only has a couple of hours. If he doesn’t come back, you can have her.” Guy never showed and my Peggy Sue came home with me. GREAT Guitar. I still love her, but the unthinkable happened. A hot blonde eventually came between us. Status: Still in the Harem. Not given much attention but I do generally take her out in public.