Yeah, 100% get a tuner. $20ish...it will be your best friend. Knowing you are in tune all the time will make your experience a million times better. I have always had the cheapest chromatic Korg they make...I've replaced the battery once, and it has been in service since 1998 I think.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can also be caused by inexperienced fretting, so don't jump to conclusions just because you encounter something.
Yeah, that's the thing. If he doesn't have a friend who can look at it, I would just take it to a luthier, tell him I'm just starting out and want some light strings, and ask him to look it over.

Different subject for a second...Hey RAC...you know anything about Dimarzio Area 58s? I LOATHE noiseless singlecoils as a rule, but these are something else, they sound ridiculously, and seem to work purely on magic. Check this thing out. I don't even understand, beyond the fact that I think I just cost myself $2000 by having an internet connection.http://proguitarshop.com/store/guitars-fen...a-rw-221-p-1717

Yeah, 100% get a tuner. $20ish...it will be your best friend. Knowing you are in tune all the time will make your experience a million times better. I have always had the cheapest chromatic Korg they make...I've replaced the battery once, and it has been in service since 1998 I think.
I was at a restaurant recently where they had a guy playing a Nylon Strung guitar. He was OK, not terrible. But his guitar was out of tune. I was sitting there with my wife & parents and I'd just stop talking in mid sentence when he'd strum a chord. I'm not "that guy" who gets all hung up over a string being a couple of cents out of tune, but this was bad. I support musicians and put a few Colones (we were in Costa Rica) in his tip jar, but I wished I'd had a cheap tuner that I could have put in there instead. I've seen a mini key chain tuner - maybe I'l buy a few of those for the Future.
I was at a restaurant recently where they had a guy playing a Nylon Strung guitar. He was OK, not terrible. But his guitar was out of tune. I was sitting there with my wife & parents and I'd just stop talking in mid sentence when he'd strum a chord. I'm not "that guy" who gets all hung up over a string being a couple of cents out of tune, but this was bad. I support musicians and put a few Colones (we were in Costa Rica) in his tip jar, but I wished I'd had a cheap tuner that I could have put in there instead. I've seen a mini key chain tuner - maybe I'l buy a few of those for the Future.
The iPhone has tunner apps, btw. Great for that sort of thing.
The "action" is basically just how high the strings are off the fretboard. Most people want their strings as low as they will go without them "buzzing," which is when a ringing string hits unintended frets. A low action is easier to play, particularly for a new player who doesn't have much hand strength yet. An old acoustic is pretty likely to have a high action for a lot of reasons that sort of add up. As for "heavy strings," strings come in a lot of gauges. Smaller strings are much easier to play. An acoustic will typically have strings that are a few levels higher than an electric, so it's something to think about. I would probably put like .10s on a beginner's acoustic, which is a mediumish level for an electric but light for an acoustic.
There is a spare set of strings in the case..."new" as in they haven't been used yet...but from 1977 still...labeling on them is "Martin Marquis acoustic guitar: one set m1200 (6) bronze wound medium gauge" Do those work or should I just buy a whole new set? I assume those are the ones currently on now as well.I can probably have my friend just re-string the guitar...I'm meeting up with him tonight.As for the action, there isn't much a gap between string and fret on the 1st few and then gradually increases in size from then on.

I would buy a new set. There's no way a set of strings is still good after 35 years in the case. GHS, Martin, D'Adario, Ernie Ball, Martin...not really that important, imo. I guess the same gauge. Typically you want to make sure to use the same gauge, because there is a rod in the neck that is currently tightened to compensate for the specific level of tension provided by whatever is on there, and if you change it, it will chance the bow of the neck. But with 30year-old strings on there, I have no clue what the tension is like compared to a new set.If you want something lighter, you will need to have it set up, so you may just want to give in and let them chew up your fingers. It'll make a man you of you anyway. I think I learned on 15s or something stupid, and I think "mediums" are like 12s or 13s.

Different subject for a second...Hey RAC...you know anything about Dimarzio Area 58s? I LOATHE noiseless singlecoils as a rule, but these are something else, they sound ridiculously, and seem to work purely on magic. Check this thing out. I don't even understand, beyond the fact that I think I just cost myself $2000 by having an internet connection.http://proguitarshop.com/store/guitars-fen...a-rw-221-p-1717
I always hated Toneless Noiseless Pickups. But I saw a few reviews of those 58s and the 61s and people seem to really like them. That is the first clip I've heard of them and they sound great. Looked like he was playing through a Bassman. They're not very expensive either, only just over $60 each.
I would buy a new set. There's no way a set of strings is still good after 35 years in the case. GHS, Martin, D'Adario, Ernie Ball, Martin...not really that important, imo. I guess the same gauge. Typically you want to make sure to use the same gauge, because there is a rod in the neck that is currently tightened to compensate for the specific level of tension provided by whatever is on there, and if you change it, it will chance the bow of the neck. But with 30year-old strings on there, I have no clue what the tension is like compared to a new set.
Tonight I am going with friend to our guitar shop and have someone look over the guitar and see what he says. Also will buy some new strings and tuner and such and have my friend put the new strings on and we will prob just **** around with it tonight.
I always hated Toneless Noiseless Pickups. But I saw a few reviews of those 58s and the 61s and people seem to really like them. That is the first clip I've heard of them and they sound great. Looked like he was playing through a Bassman. They're not very expensive either, only just over $60 each.
Yeah, if I don't buy this thing, I'm at least putting a set of those pups in my MIM. They sound absurd. Like, literally better than 95% of single coils. I don't even get how they work, but I know I want some of that.
Tonight I am going with friend to our guitar shop and have someone look over the guitar and see what he says. Also will buy some new strings and tuner and such and have my friend put the new strings on and we will prob just **** around with it tonight.
Far out. Enjoy it!I'm sure they'll show you a few basic chords and perhaps an easy song or two. Don't be afraid to take a couple of notes or have them draw you a quick sketch (called a "tab") of finger positions for chords or whatever else they show you.
Cool. A lot of great lessons online too. If you search back a few pages, I think in between posts about RAC and I setting money on fire, there's some good advice about that. I stand by my recommendation of the Beatles Songbook.
great site online, and I have heard many good things about his beginner course.http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php
I've never actually watched much of it, but what I saw was really good, and I poked around a little earlier this year looking for material for someone I'm helping learn irl, and people had nothing but good things to say.
Not me. Haven't entered the Digital Age too much when it comes to effects and such. I have a ton to learn when it comes to that.
Pretty much the same here. I just use fruity loops for backing tracks, and then import into cool edit and record over it. Usually ends up sounding like crap though because I'm still learning how to mix tracks in cool edit.Anyways, you should definitely check out Guitar Rig. I've only recently been messing around with it, and it's pretty sweet. It's got a bunch of different amps, cabs, effects, processors. No lie, playing my guitar through Guitar Rig out of my stock PC speakers, it actually sounds just as good/if not better than when I play it through my Peavey Studio Pro 112.

I learned the basic chords today (although I am sure by tomorrow I will have forgotten them)When changing the strings, found a crack in the neck...oh well...I think this is just a temporary guitar.When changing strings, I pinched my index finger in pliers trying to pull the pin out...so now I have a big blood blister and IDK how much I can play.So, I was told by friend I have high action...will the crack get worse if I have someone try and lower the action?

Really no way for us to know. Even if I had the guitar in front of me to examine the cracks, I would have ****-all an idea. It's probably fine. If you can spare the $60, I would just take it to a pro. A good setup does wonders anyway. mk, I found your guitar: http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/6329/Gr...Silver-Sparkle/Gretsch_USA_Custom_59_SparkleJet_Masterbuilt_Stephen_Stern_UC10070557_1.jpgMeanwhile, I am honestly pretty close to ordering that CS HSS strat...which would mean I would have about $5000 worth of guitars in the mail.

Oh, also, a really good exercise for remembering chords is to diagram them. http://benmccartney.com/wp-content/uploads...hord-Charts.pdfPrint out some of those pages, and just copy the chords down over and over.Edit: if you don't know how, it's extremely simple. For the purposes of these open chords, the thick black line is the nut. the other horizontal lines are the frets, and the vertical lines are the strings. You put a circle over the nut for an open note, and then everything else you just put a circle where your fingers go (and an X for the strings you don't play, if you like). Like so:basicchordchart.png

Really no way for us to know. Even if I had the guitar in front of me to examine the cracks, I would have ****-all an idea. It's probably fine. If you can spare the $60, I would just take it to a pro. A good setup does wonders anyway. mk, I found your guitar: Meanwhile, I am honestly pretty close to ordering that CS HSS strat...which would mean I would have about $5000 worth of guitars in the mail.
She's purdy.

OK, I'm seriously sick. Much like the Mark V, this strat would limit my number of stage instruments to two, so I've rationalized it. But which color do I want, keeping in mind that I dress like an asshole, and that my current main strat is fiesta red? (I have no fingerboard biases.) fusion_blk_hss_041_front1_01.jpgfusion_red_hb_strat1_front1_01.jpgfusion_strat_2tsb_841_front1_01.jpgfusion_black_hb_strat1_front1_01.jpg

I like the first one.I've been lurking the last few pages...I play acoustic and just **** about, make up songs that last a week, play a cover. I learned tons of stuff from you all explaining to Fargo. I have no idea if my guitar is in good shape. Do all of you that focus mainly on electric guitars(as in a huge wealth of knowledge about them) play in bands?I don't think I'd ever get one unless I was planning on playing on stage. Dutch said "stage instruments" so thats pretty obvious.