Very nice, RAC. Quartersawn is how i would go too. Daphne was a savvy choice. Top 5 for sure.
I am getting this bridge:RuttersChoppedBridge1.jpgShould look very cool on my La Cabronita clone. I hate hate hate the 6 saddle bridge they put on the La Cabs. I can't believe that the Fender Custom Shop is asking over $5 Grand for them. I'll be pushing a Grand by the time I'm done. Seems like they are relicing everything to try and justify their pay grade.
  • Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, still loving it. Probably should have gone for the Baja which is absolutely a better guitar for a similar price, but like any superstitious guitar person, I like the "nitro." I certainly would recommend it. Actually, it's sort of my main guitar right now. I've had it cranked through my neglected AC30 all day (just re-tubed, and my ****ing God...), which I had forgotten is probably the coolest amp I own, and hadn't been plugged in since 2004. I'm going to put some gigging mileage on the Mark V just because I bought it for that, but playing cliche '00s indie rock, I would be retarded not to get this thing in action.
It is strange how amps & guitars sort of become the #1 in the herd - I don't think you can force it. I never intended to be a Telecaster guy, I really actually actively avoided them. ...and I agree about the Nitro. Have you ever seen how much Polly they put on Fenders? The satin Nitro on the Hwy 1 is pretty nice and very thin skinned. I think that the Hwy 1 is really underrated. But the only guitar that I sort of regret not getting was a Baja Strat in Fiesta Red that was hanging in a local used gear store. They guy who runs the place is sort of an ass, so I didn't buy her. But things worked out well because shortly later I got my AV Strat and can't imagine a better Strat - except perhaps the Eric Johnson Strat I didn't buyWhere do you gig?

It's funny...if you talk to an experienced builder -- particularly someone who doesn't work for a big company and has no agenda -- he will tell you that a) nitro doesnt make a noticeable tonal difference and b) that not one single company makes a "nitro" that is even remotely similar to the one used in the 60s, and that not a single guitar built since then has been finished with a similar paint, and that we are idiots. Additionally, Fender uses a polyurethane undercoat anyway. It's debatable on the CS strats, but I'm pretty sure it's assumed, and it's not debatable on the Highway Ones, as anyone who has ever stripped one will tell you (many have...the TDPRI guys love the Highway One as a modding platform). But knowing this, I still like it better. I like the way it looks, the way it wears, the way it feel, and **** me, it still sounds better to me. Baja - there is a reason that some of these MIMs -- the Baja, the Road Worn (also with poly undercoat), etc. -- are more expensive than the entry level MIAs, like the HWY1 and the AM Spec: they are better guitars. (Another reason I went HWY1 over Baja is that the it tends to weigh like 30% less, which isn't normally important to me, but buying a guitar specifically to gig with, when it's already a cointoss, it's a deciding factor.)I think I have tele fever now, though, and will probably buy a Baja before the year is over. But I finally took my stupid-guitar-purchase fund, from selling some other guitars, and put most of it down on my built-to-order CS nitro-finished Charvel San Dimas. The guy recommended a Custom 5 in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck. It's going to be ballistic. The Charvel CS makes the best feeling necks in the world, and does everything with amazing craftsmanship, will do absolutely anything you ask them to, and is about the best value for a CS guitar you can ever find. I'm excited. So no more selling/buying guitars until it's here. I've gotten out of con-****ing-trolBut yeah...I never really liked Fenders at all growing up. I never ever considered the tele. It's so ugly to me. It took me years to bond with a strat, and years to even try the tele.

Visit My WebsiteI've always been better at buying than playing but here are my axes and a pic of a guitar I traded1966 Gibson ES-335Mid 70's Gretsch Country Gentlemanand my main guitar a Japanese 62 copy red tele - at the bottom is the Rickenbacker 1966 366/12 that I traded for the Gibson around 1986notice the comb that converts it into a 6 stringI traded it to a store in southern illinois and then saw it again 4 years later at a guitar show in San JoseI knew that it was the same guitar because of the comb and a yellow mark it had on its side - I almost bought it back but bought the Gretsch instead
Visit My WebsiteI've always been better at buying than playing but here are my axes and a pic of a guitar I traded1966 Gibson ES-335Mid 70's Gretsch Country Gentlemanand my main guitar a Japanese 62 copy red tele - at the bottom is the Rickenbacker 1966 366/12 that I traded for the Gibson around 1986notice the comb that converts it into a 6 stringI traded it to a store in southern illinois and then saw it again 4 years later at a guitar show in San JoseI knew that it was the same guitar because of the comb and a yellow mark it had on its side - I almost bought it back but bought the Gretsch instead
Nice axes!
what sort of pups you drop in, SB?
Just some basic Alnico pups from Guitar Fetish. Guitar still needs some work so I didn't want to spend a lot since I didn't know what condition it was truly in till I got her all back together. I will say for the price, these pups are 1000% better than the ones I had on previously which were noisy and almost no bottom end. I think the neck is warped a bit though. Blah.
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I finally after allllllll this time got my first tube amp. Man, what an idiot I am for waiting this long.Got a great deal on a New (Open Box) Vox Ac4tv 1x10 combo.Omg does this thing sound great. I now have to find a way to get rid of my solid state 2x12. I thought I would keep it to play the Metal that I like to play from time to time but the Vox seems to take pedals much better than I expected so I don't need the other amp. But man, this thing is sweet. I can run it at 1/4w, 1w, and 4w and it is nice.

Well I finally after allllllll this time got my first tube amp. Man, what an idiot I am for waiting this long.Got a great deal on a New (Open Box) Vox Ac4tv 1x10 combo.Omg does this thing sound great. I now have to find a way to get rid of my solid state 2x12. I thought I would keep it to play the Metal that I like to play from time to time but the Vox seems to take pedals much better than I expected so I don't need the other amp. But man, this thing is sweet. I can run it at 1/4w, 1w, and 4w and it is nice.
So cool!Welcome to the Tube Club. Better late than never.I still have my old Crate 2X12 Solid State. Sometimes I use it as just a speaker cabinet or for vocals. It'll never get more than a couple of bucks if I ever tried to sell it.The other day I was in a local Hardware store. The guy working the checkout said: "You have a Telecaster on your shirt." I was wearing one of my Fender T-Shirts.I said: "Yeah, and I have a couple back home too."Turns out he was a drummer and he and his buddies are looking for an additional guitarist. I'll probably jam with them this weekend.The parts for my guitar build project are beginning to roll in. Really looking forward to getting started.

Vox makes some epic amps. They usually blow away Orange's comparable models. I played a Nigh Train the other day, and think it ****-punches the Tiny Terror. Obviously the TT is a great little amp, and they aren't the same thing, but for as much Orange dick dick sucking as goes on, particularly for the TT, it shocks me how little love this one gets. I think it's probably mostly just that Orange has a cooler image and rep. I think I may have to buy it, just on principal.

It's like 6 more weeks until my Charvel is here. It's going to be agony. GL with the tele build. I still plan on one myself, at some point. I saw a strat shot in trans coral the other day that gave me a boner. I think I'll probably go in that direction.

Damn you guys! Just when I have myself convinced I don't need a tube amp you start raving on about how great these 15W amps are. Tomorrow is pay day. I'll report back on Monday if I pick something up...dicks

Damn you guys! Just when I have myself convinced I don't need a tube amp you start raving on about how great these 15W amps are. Tomorrow is pay day. I'll report back on Monday if I pick something up...dicks
lolmine is a 4W 1x10 combo amp with celestion speaker. It is louder than my 120W 2x12 on the 4w setting. The 1/4 watt setting is sweet because you can crank it up to overdrive the tube and still keep it at bedroom levels. God I want to make love to this thing.vox_ac4tv_thumb.jpgThis is the guy I bought mine from. Shipped and to in 3 days. Open box item, perfect condition. DO IT!http://cgi.ebay.com/VOX-AC4TV-AC4-TV-Combo...tar_Accessories

Pardon my ignorance but I am basically a guitar noob but I have had this desire to teach myself how to play. I have music background (although I have forgotten a lot of it...refresher would help me remember) but NO guitar background other than being a mean guitar hero player. I want to get back into music after a 5 year absence and I figured guitar would be my best bet for something I would be passionate about. My main question is what should I look for? I don't know any terminology and as I said, I am basically guitar-ignorant so I would love advice that wouldn't go over my head.IDK what I would like to spend (cheap is good...I would assume cheap is best until I decide its something worth continuing)...IDK what I want (I am assuming an acoustic??)...IDK anything at all, other than I want to learn how to play.Help get a new guy addicted!!EDIT: I'd like to add that I live in an apartment where loud isn't always good...idk what I can do to combat that. Electric and headphones? pardon ignorance again...

Pardon my ignorance but I am basically a guitar noob but I have had this desire to teach myself how to play. I have music background (although I have forgotten a lot of it...refresher would help me remember) but NO guitar background other than being a mean guitar hero player. I want to get back into music after a 5 year absence and I figured guitar would be my best bet for something I would be passionate about. My main question is what should I look for? I don't know any terminology and as I said, I am basically guitar-ignorant so I would love advice that wouldn't go over my head.IDK what I would like to spend (cheap is good...I would assume cheap is best until I decide its something worth continuing)...IDK what I want (I am assuming an acoustic??)...IDK anything at all, other than I want to learn how to play.Help get a new guy addicted!!EDIT: I'd like to add that I live in an apartment where loud isn't always good...idk what I can do to combat that. Electric and headphones? pardon ignorance again...
I live in an apartment, and haven't had a complaint. An acoustic or an electric with a small amp should be fine...no louder than a TV I would think. (Edit: also, it's important to note that you don't need to plug in to play an electric. I have insomnia and share my apartment with someone who doesn't, and I get in the bulk of my playing with an unplugged electric, as do a lot of people.)It really depends on what you are into. An acoustic guitar tends to be a much more personal thing. There is so much nuance and tradeoff and compromise with the instrument, that it's even less scientific than electric. If I were shopping for an inexpensive acoustic, I would buy this: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...p;CJPID=2621307But in the same price range there are a lot more great choices than there used to be. Epiphone makes some great ones lately, and Seagull, Washburn, Yamaha, and I'm sure others, make great value guitars. Martin, Gibson and Taylor would be considered the best, but none of them put out a guitar I find to be competitive in that <$500 range. But again, you are more than likely to like a guitar I don't, because it's such a character thing. As for learning on an acoustic vs. an electric, the conventional wisdom seems to be that you should learn on an acoustic...there are a handful of advantages to that, but I feel that they are easily out-weighed by simply whether or not you want to. If you are into acoustic guitar music and would rather play one, great. If the idea bores you or you are itching to plug in, it's a waste. If you are truly 100% on the fence, acoustic will train your hands to be stronger, faster, and will force you to really hear yourself and not let you hide behind distortion or something, but with practice and dedication, you would learn fine on an electric too. If you are shopping for an electric, it again depends a lot on what you want to play. I think the best value is in the Fender-style half of the market...here are the main ones I would look at.* The Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster or Telecaster - About $350 street, probably closer to $300 if you catch a sales man on the right threshold and push. Sounds shockingly good for the price. Some think better than the low-end MIM (made in Mexico) Fenders. They also stay in tune great for a guitar in that price range, which is important for a new player. Also, there are two strat models: the '60s and the '50s. The '50s has a maple fingerboard and sounds a bit brighter, while the '60s has a rosewood fingerboard and sounds a bit darker, and also has a really thin neck, which is good for a beginner, as long has you don't have such massive hands that it would be awkward. Or:* An MIM Strat or Tele - These are what I would buy a random person who wanted to learn. They are $500 street, probably 15% off that if you push a bit, or well under $400 used. I've seen them as low as $325 in the used section at GC, so probably pretty achievable. These will sound more modern than the CVs I mentioned, which is just a taste thing, which I can get into more if you want. Another benefit of the MIM stratocaster is that it is available with an HSS pickup configuration, which would make it a pretty can't-miss, versatile guitar. To get into that more, there are two basic types of pickup: single coil and humbucker. A humbucker is a double coil pickup. Without getting into the physics of how it works, having two coils cancels out the humming noise that a single coil would make, and also has a whole different tone...much darker, fatter, more...humbucker-y. While a single coil pickup is brighter and glassier. The HSS (Humbucker, Single Coil, Single Coil) has a humbucker in the bridge, where it's most useful, and then the singlecoils in the middle and neck positions, where they tend to be most useful. You lose some classic tones, and gain some others, and basically have the most versatile guitar you can have. This may well be a no-brainer, but if you play country or something, you will really want a single coil in the bridge, so it's not a great idea. I sort of lumped the tele in there with the strat, but it's a very different guitar. One major difference fundamentally is that the strat has a tremolo system, and the tele doesn't. There are all kinds of trem systems, but the one in the strat is based around a "floating bridge." The strings run through a metal block on the bridge, which they naturally pull up with them, which makes the bridge want to go flat. Then it's counter-balance with springs, and sits at an equilibrium. You can then use the tremolo arm (whammy bar) to pull the bridge in either direction, and make the notes go strap or flat for different effects. But just the natural ringing of a plucked note will cause very very subtle vibrato in the strat all the time, which is part of its distinctive tone. The strat has always been thought of as more of a rock guitar, and is probably the most iconic rock guitar, while the tele is twangier and more of a country guitar, but the tele has been used on some of the definitive recordings in every genre, today is probably the #1 guitar in indie music, as well as country which it completely dominates. It depends on what you want to play, but either would probably be great for almost anything. (A tele is a bit heavier and more uncomfortable than a strat, if that matters.)That covers Fender style guitars for now. On the other side of the coin for solid body electrics is Gibson. I personally am a Gibson guy more than Fender. There are exceptions, but for the most part Gibsons have humbuckers in the neck position and bridge position, are usually made out of mahogany, which is a much darker-sounding wood, and have a shorter scale length. These things combine to make a generally darker-sounding guitar. They growl and distort nicely, and just have a different sound and feel. The most citable tonal drawback to a Gibson or Gibson-style guitar is that the tone can sometimes get muddy, particularly when using the neck pickup and a lot of effects. The most citable tonal drawback of a Fender on the other hand, is probably that the bridge position can sound a bit too harsh and trebley. (Oh, also, another thing is sustain...the tele has better sustain than a strat, because the trem system kills it...but Gibsons, particularly the Les Paul, have ****ing unending sustain, mostly because the neck is glued on rather than bolted. With a good Les Paul, some distortion, and some compression, you can keep a note alive for insane periods. )The practical differences are much bigger for the most part. I mean, if you are playing metal or something, you really don't want something without humbuckers, but most genres of music can be played on either of these basic types of guitar, totally indistinguishably to the typical listener. So practically, there is really only one drawback to the Fender-style I can think of: if you are using a single coil at any sort of volume, the hum is sort of annoying, and is really annoying live for most people if you can't control it. (Edit: a strat has an additional problem: a tremolo system will cause it not not stay in tune as well, while a Gibson can stay in tune for weeks.)The Gibson has a shit-ton: they weigh way too much and are uncomfortable to play for long periods, they are much more fragile than a Fender (a Fender, particularly a tele, is ****ing indestructible...and if you do happen to crack the headstock on one [which won't happen like ever, but is considered a problem with Gibsons supposedly], it has a bolt-on neck anyway, so you can replace it cheaply), and they are much more precariously balanced than a strat or a tele while wearing it on a strat, and feel awkward (particularly an SG). And finally, they cost more. A lot more, actually, because while the "affordable" models of Gibson-style electrics are not too far off the price point of an MIM strat, they also are sort of crummy-seeming to me. If you do think you want a Gibson, I would recommend the SG Special Faded, which is probably in the $600 range out the door, and sounds great, and then nothing else until you are paying like $1500. So as my ramblings trickle to a close, I will say that unless you play metal, I would recommend a cheap Fender, specifying more closely the model depending on what you want to play.(There is also a whole world of guitars with lighter bodies and humbuckers...like some people here seem to like less expensive Ibanez models. I have little experience with such instrements.)( I probably could have saved 15 minutes of rambling and just waited to know what you are into. And also you seem to be less interested in electric right now, which makes up 99% of this rambling...but I am bored)Any thing that I glossed over or that I used a weird term by accident or that I otherwise poorly stated and you would like explained, please point it out, and I will define.(as for a little practice amp if you go electric, I would go with the Vox VT15 and not blink.)

Can you tell that guitarists get passionate about their instruments?From a beginner's point of view I have a few Suggestions/Observations.First, find someone to go guitar shopping with you. Part of the Guitar Passion results in a bit of a kindred spirit - sort of like the Jeep Owners - that makes us sort of look out for each other. Helping a newcomer shop for a guitar is as much fun as buying one yourself. Have the same person teach you the basic "Open Position" Chords. C, D, A, A minor, E, and E minor at first.Don't buy a super cheap guitar. To a certain extent, you get what you pay for. A poorly made guitar will not play well and will discourage your progress.Chicks dig acoustic guitar (you're doing this for the chicks right?). An electric has lighter string tension and is generally easier on the hands and therefore easier to learn those basics, but chicks dig acoustics.Ask around about teachers and take some lessons. Usually the local mom & pop music store will have a tried & true teacher who can handle beginners in a variety of styles.There are a bunch of great DVDs and other tools for learning the basics. Guitar tablature is a great tool. Some people think it hurts learning, I happen to disagree.Power Tabs (http://www.powertabs.net/) are amazing. You can basically play a song and "see" it played. If you have a little background in Music, it can't hurt, but don't focus too much on theory at first. Get the physical skills of fretting chords and notes. Then later you can learn about scales, I/IV/V Progression, relative minors and other such stuff. The only thing scales are good for in the first couple of months of learning is physical dexterity and strength.Don't stress the finger strength thing too much. You will feel at first that your fingers aren't strong enough and want to do finger exercises. Don't do this. 90% of the ability to fret a string comes from dexterity, not strength. ...And callouses on your finger tips. There will be pain and even blisters.Come back here often or find a guitar forum.

I will add my 2 cents to the discussion that has already been well covered.If you have a Guitar Center near you I would advise you to go there and check this guitar out. It will run about $149 if not less and I can't believe how well it played.http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-F335-Ac...487-i1166364.gcI still kick myself for not buying this during the 4th of July when it was on sale for $99. I played it for an hour while playing other guitars in it's price range and as high as $500 and except for one Martin, it held its own with the others. Surprised the fuck out of me.If going electric I will toss this schecter into the ring as I bought it as a guitar to get me started back into playing and it has surprisingly been my go to guitar.http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guita...112-i1149923.gc

Thanks a bunch, guys!While I don't know too much about different terminology yet (Bridge, single coil, humbucker) I have a general idea and I think once I get into it I will learn quiiite fast.I like the guitar you posted...I was also kinda looking at this one...http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seagull-The-Or...p;CJPID=1759905For the record, I have small-ish hands...also have a friend that would be willing to teach me basics...I think I'd like to get an electric if I find I like playing...so we will see about that further down the road.EDIT: nearest guitar center is 4 hrs away...maybe I will put off getting one until I make a trip down there for a Twins game.

Thanks a bunch, guys!While I don't know too much about different terminology yet (Bridge, single coil, humbucker) I have a general idea and I think once I get into it I will learn quiiite fast.I like the guitar you posted...I was also kinda looking at this one...http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seagull-The-Or...p;CJPID=1759905For the record, I have small-ish hands...also have a friend that would be willing to teach me basics...I think I'd like to get an electric if I find I like playing...so we will see about that further down the road.EDIT: nearest guitar center is 4 hrs away...maybe I will put off getting one until I make a trip down there for a Twins game.
S6 is another of my favorite acoustics in that $3-400 range. Actually, I might like it more than the one I liked. It's close. If you have the chance, give this one a strum too: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...WELAID=40649576A bit different than either of those. Prettier, too. Just a thought.

So here is the new development...My dad used to play a lot of guitar when he was a kid...he told me I could have his guitar until I found out if I liked guitar enough to warrant buying a new one.He bought it in 1977 for $339 (receipt is still in the case)It is a Yamaki F130 He hasn't played it in 25 years, it just sat in a closet. Here is a pic I took of it...ozI1RqM0nfg1wT6E3-Fu.pngI guess I am asking if anyone knows anything about this guitar? Should I just use this for a bit and learn a bit about playing?What kind of work should I put in it to prep it for playing?Anything I should look for on the guitar itself?

S6 is another of my favorite acoustics in that $3-400 range. Actually, I might like it more than the one I liked. It's close. If you have the chance, give this one a strum too: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...WELAID=40649576A bit different than either of those. Prettier, too. Just a thought.
The Hummingbird is a very nice guitar.
So here is the new development...My dad used to play a lot of guitar when he was a kid...he told me I could have his guitar until I found out if I liked guitar enough to warrant buying a new one.He bought it in 1977 for $339 (receipt is still in the case)It is a Yamaki F130 He hasn't played it in 25 years, it just sat in a closet. Here is a pic I took of it...ozI1RqM0nfg1wT6E3-Fu.pngI guess I am asking if anyone knows anything about this guitar? Should I just use this for a bit and learn a bit about playing?What kind of work should I put in it to prep it for playing?Anything I should look for on the guitar itself?
I would take it to a tech and have it looked over. Make sure the neck isn't warped (I don't know how he had it in the closet, but depending on how it was stored it could have neck damage), change the strings, and get it set up if need be.

Depending on how long it's been sitting and how well it's been cared for, how many climate changes it's seen, etc., it may need a setup, but from that angle I don't see anything wrong with it. It the action is high or the strings are too heavy for a beginner, you could take it to a pro and have him set it up...$40-60 generally. And I personally wouldn't feel comfortable without my own guitar, but that's just me being weird. Congratulations.

The Hummingbird is a very nice guitar.
It was my favorite years ago. The Gibson version I mean. The magic has died, though, and I don't think I like it anymore. I never play acoustic anymore, though, which might me part of it.
Depending on how long it's been sitting and how well it's been cared for, how many climate changes it's seen, etc., it may need a setup, but from that angle I don't see anything wrong with it. It the action is high or the strings are too heavy for a beginner, you could take it to a pro and have him set it up...$40-60 generally. And I personally wouldn't feel comfortable without my own guitar, but that's just me being weird. Congratulations.
I, honestly, want my own...one I can feel like I control from beginning until end.Basically they gave me a blank IOU for a birthday gift for my bday a few weeks ago and they don't want to buy me a guitar unless they are damn sure I want it so I guess I test this out for a bit.What do you mean by high action and heavy strings?
So here is the new development...My dad used to play a lot of guitar when he was a kid...he told me I could have his guitar until I found out if I liked guitar enough to warrant buying a new one.He bought it in 1977 for $339 (receipt is still in the case)It is a Yamaki F130 He hasn't played it in 25 years, it just sat in a closet. Here is a pic I took of it...I guess I am asking if anyone knows anything about this guitar? Should I just use this for a bit and learn a bit about playing?What kind of work should I put in it to prep it for playing?Anything I should look for on the guitar itself?
Looks like a great place to start.Couple of things.Take a look at the "action" - which is how far the strings sit above the fretboard. They should be about 1/4 of an inch all down the neck.Look down the neck at the fretboard, sort of like looking down the barrel of a rifle. The neck should appear pretty straight with a slight bow. The frets should appear even. The neck should not appear twisted.Go buy a new set of strings and have someone teach you how to put them on. Or just do it yourself, it is pretty simple. After putting on new strings it will take a while for them to settle in and stretch, so you'll need to retune several times. When you have the strings off, wipe down the fretboard with a lightly oiled rag. I often use Orange or Lemon Oil that you would use for furniture. Don't over do the oil - wipe off any excess.Get a tuner. One with a microphone. You can get a good one for less than $20.Put your finger lightly on a string at the 12th fret (not pushing it down to the fret) and pluck the string and then remove your finger. This will produce an overtone called a "harmonic". Then fret the string at the 12th fret and play the fretted note there. The fretted note should sound like the same pitch as the harmonic. The notes will not have the same tone - the harmonic will sound lighter and more airy, but the pitch should be the same. Check the harmonic vs. fretted pitch with the tuner. Do this for each string.For each string, one at a time, fret and play a note at every fret down the neck. Listen for buzzes or dead spots. Buzzes/dead spots could be an indication that a fret is sticking up too far or a problem with the neck. It can also be caused by inexperienced fretting, so don't jump to conclusions just because you encounter something.
I, honestly, want my own...one I can feel like I control from beginning until end.Basically they gave me a blank IOU for a birthday gift for my bday a few weeks ago and they don't want to buy me a guitar unless they are damn sure I want it so I guess I test this out for a bit.What do you mean by high action and heavy strings?
The "action" is basically just how high the strings are off the fretboard. Most people want their strings as low as they will go without them "buzzing," which is when a ringing string hits unintended frets. A low action is easier to play, particularly for a new player who doesn't have much hand strength yet. An old acoustic is pretty likely to have a high action for a lot of reasons that sort of add up. As for "heavy strings," strings come in a lot of gauges. Smaller strings are much easier to play. An acoustic will typically have strings that are a few levels higher than an electric, so it's something to think about. I would probably put like .10s on a beginner's acoustic, which is a mediumish level for an electric but light for an acoustic.