You haven't seen the edited soundbites from Obama that make him look dumb? There's a reason he's called the teleprompter president. The fact is, every tiny slip of Palin is turned into an indictment of the Republican party, while Biden's and Obama's slips are mostly ignored.I'm not a supporter of Palin's, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know the media can create whatever image they want. If they repeatedly showed her 10 finest moments, she'd look like a genius, if they showed her 10 worst moments (as they do), she'd look like an idiot. But the same could be said of Obama and Biden.I think they like to villanize Palin because of her calculated girl-next-door schtick. In that way, it's partly her own fault -- don't try to play a role that you can't play perfectly.
Everybody says dumb things sometimes1. She says intelligent things.... well, basically never. Essentially, I disagree with the bolded. What you guys are forgetting is that while the media can influence people's images, some people are actually smarter than others. I disagree with the idea that one can have no information about a public figure's intelligence. You're right that her "girl-next-door" shtick is part of it. 1Except me.
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody says dumb things sometimes1. She says intelligent things.... well, basically never. Essentially, I disagree with the bolded. What you guys are forgetting is that while the media can influence people's images, some people are actually smarter than others. I disagree with the idea that one can have no information about a public figure's intelligence. You're right that her "girl-next-door" shtick is part of it. 1Except me.
But you do believe that a person who has functioned in the role of governor of a state, and headed up the oil commission committee before that, was stumped intellectually by a question regarding what newspaper she reads?You are comfortable buying into the perception that the media created for Palin on the night of her speech at the convention when they 'dropped' the idea that she was banning books in her libraries ( later proven false ) and was under severe ethics violations in her state ( she was never charged with anything even after the left spent a solid two years now trying to find something )But to you, that' s all truth and there has been no manipulation because...she's hot and pretty much is the girl next door?
Amazing how someone who is supposedly such an ignorant lightweight, garners so much interest and almost daily critcism from media, bloggers, and the polical intelligencia.If she is such a meaninglesss lightweight, why the constant haranging.?The fact is , the looney left and the elitist right are terrified of her ability to connect with the majority of mainstream voters.
She's good TV because it requires so little effort to have an opinion about her. When given the choice of thinking or reciting preformed opinions, most people choose the latter.
She's good TV because it requires so little effort to have an opinion about her. When given the choice of thinking or reciting preformed opinions, most people choose the latter.
Well said.It is telling how easy the left can hate someone who's views disagree with their own. Their ability to cast pure vitriol and venom on anyone not marching lock step with them, especially if they are minority or female, shows that their goal is power for themselves, irregardless of the plethora of good they could be doing for the very people they keep in hate and fear.The pigs in the kitchen are having a fine time tonight
But you do believe that a person who has functioned in the role of governor of a state, and headed up the oil commission committee before that, was stumped intellectually by a question regarding what newspaper she reads?
She was not stumped; She doesn't read newspapers.
You are comfortable buying into the perception that the media created for Palin on the night of her speech at the convention when they 'dropped' the idea that she was banning books in her libraries ( later proven false ) and was under severe ethics violations in her state ( she was never charged with anything even after the left spent a solid two years now trying to find something )But to you, that' s all truth and there has been no manipulation because...she's hot and pretty much is the girl next door?
Details of her history have nothing to do with this. When a potential grad student comes into my office, I don't need to read their CV to find out if they are sharp: a simple conversation will do it. My read on Palin is that she is not particularly intelligent. I find it amazing that one is not allowed to have this impression of her simply because the media don't like her. Oh, and please stop insulting my neighbors.
So then all the people who like her have thought about it and formed their own opinions, but all those who don't like her are just "reciting performed opinions"?
When a potential grad student comes into my office, I don't need to read their CV to find out if they are sharp: a simple conversation will do it. My read on Palin is that she is not particularly intelligent. I find it amazing that one is not allowed to have this impression of her simply because the media don't like her.
That's interesting, because the media loves to portray Obama as some benevolent genius, but when I watch him speak, I feel like they should have big neon letters behind him flashing "EMPTY SUIT". So using your grad student test, he is massive fail. He's got a bunch of rehearsed buzz phrases, but I have seen no evidence of him being able to navigate intellectually when faced with a tough question -- he just falls back on soundbites. And if you take his worst moments -- easily searchable on YouTube -- he looks like a total idiot. Watching him speak off-script is painful, at best.Frankly, I think most national politicians fall into this same category. I think I could count on one hand the national politicians with which it would be possible to carry on an intelligent conversation.National politicians are a self-selected group -- selected for the ability to say meaningless, warm, and fuzzy soundbites. Thinking is dangerous in politics, because people who think sometimes speak uncomfortable truths, and telling the truth is no way to get elected. So basically, we're voting for the people who, out of everyone in the country, are least able to form original, coherent thoughts.
So then all the people who like her have thought about it and formed their own opinions, but all those who don't like her are just "reciting performed opinions"?
That's not at all what I meant to imply.
Yeah, I hear TMZ is doing a big story on Noam Chomsky tomorrow.
They would be if he was a conservativemaybe we should give this guy another look..he may be on to somethingfrom wikipedia
He has argued that the mass media in the United States largely serve as a propaganda arm and "bought priesthood" of the U.S. government and U.S. corporations, with the three parties all largely intertwined through common interests. In a famous reference to Walter Lippmann, Chomsky along with his coauthor, Edward S. Herman has written that the American media manufactures consent among the public.
That's interesting, because the media loves to portray Obama as some benevolent genius, but when I watch him speak, I feel like they should have big neon letters behind him flashing "EMPTY SUIT". So using your grad student test, he is massive fail. He's got a bunch of rehearsed buzz phrases, but I have seen no evidence of him being able to navigate intellectually when faced with a tough question -- he just falls back on soundbites. And if you take his worst moments -- easily searchable on YouTube -- he looks like a total idiot. Watching him speak off-script is painful, at best.Frankly, I think most national politicians fall into this same category. I think I could count on one hand the national politicians with which it would be possible to carry on an intelligent conversation.National politicians are a self-selected group -- selected for the ability to say meaningless, warm, and fuzzy soundbites. Thinking is dangerous in politics, because people who think sometimes speak uncomfortable truths, and telling the truth is no way to get elected. So basically, we're voting for the people who, out of everyone in the country, are least able to form original, coherent thoughts.
so you are saying the real problem is the voting populace at large? Because I could not agree more.
so you are saying the real problem is the voting populace at large? Because I could not agree more.
Yeah, sort of, but also the system. We respond to the incentives in place, just as politicians do. Unless you can hire a six-figure lobbyist, you have no influence in Washington, and your vote is practically meaningless. So we just vote for someone who makes us feel warm and fuzzy, whether that means voting for a wannabe Santa Claus from the Democrats or a wannabe National Nanny from the Republicans.There's probably a way to set up a system where true quality will rise to the top, but most people don't care about politics enough to fight for it.
When a potential grad student comes into my office, I don't need to read their CV to find out if they are sharp: a simple conversation will do it. My read on Palin is that she is not particularly intelligent. I find it amazing that one is not allowed to have this impression of her simply because the media don't like her.
My wife is a life long Democrat and has never in her life voted for a Republican presidential candidate until last year. Why? Because her first and lasting impression of Obama is of a slimy snake who only cares about his own power. She also has a great impresion of Palin.I consider her to be one of the best readers of people I have ever met.
My wife is a life long Democrat and has never in her life voted for a Republican presidential candidate until last year. Why? Because her first and lasting impression of Obama is of a slimy snake who only cares about his own power. She also has a great impresion of Palin.I consider her to be one of the best readers of people I have ever met.
how is he a slimy snake and only care about his own power?
Well, then I now consider you to be one of the worst readers of people I have ever met. Wait, have I met you?
See: every news report since inauguration for details.
Except for the ones that sound like this"By bending over to show greater respect to Islam, the US president belittled the power and independence of the United States," the paper said in an editorial. "Such an act is a traditional obeisance befitting a king's subjects, not his peer."Apparently, he's a power hungry snake, and a totally deferent wimp.
Except for the ones that sound like this"By bending over to show greater respect to Islam, the US president belittled the power and independence of the United States," the paper said in an editorial. "Such an act is a traditional obeisance befitting a king's subjects, not his peer."Apparently, he's a power hungry snake, and a totally deferent wimp.
This might be the weirdest defense you have ever made.
Obamas most recent bendover to the emperor of japan humiliated not only the US, BUT THE JAPANESE newspapers commented on how weak of a prez he must be to subjugate himself to japanese royalty.
See, you've already forgotten that he's a power-hungry snake.