I Got Lucky Tonight

oiy. ok, let me try it this way:the only point I am trying to make here is that it is different levels of "hard" for people who live in a city versus people who live in a rural area, and to treat both the same on a moral level as to the choices they make regarding drinking and driving isn't exactly fair.
Move to a real city you piece of shit.When to we get to start a "I got away with driving while on my cell phone" or "I got away with changing my CD to Best Of Neil Diamond" threads. I'm glad everyone on a poker site is all high and mighty. There are many distractions while driving, and I would bet me with a .08 BAC would be better off than someone trying to pimp some ho's on a cell phone or trying to find their favorite jam on the radio. The difference is, those stories do not get reported like an accident with a drunk* driver.I once heard 1 in 10 on the road on a Friday or Saturday night are legally drunk. Amazing how none of those people post here, probably because they are on the bubble of an $11 tourney.I lost my father to a non-drunk driving accident. When do I get to post about that to make people feel guilty about driving at all?*Drunk usually means ANY BAC in stories these days.
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we can all agree that driving drunk is irresponsible and selfish.However, I think there is a grey area surrounding a few drinks and then driving. For those of you shouting the shagrins of driving after having ANYTHING to drink, then I ask you. Have you ever eaten while driving, turned the radio switch while driving, talked on the phone while driving (although this example is getting harder to do in each state as we are realizing it is potentially dangerous), texted while driving, or otherwise engaged in anything that could take your focus from the road. If the answer is no, then I applaud you and I hope your insurance premiums are less than mine. However, just because I have a few drinks and drive does not mean I am being irresponsible, after all the law is on my side on this. I believe that I know when I can drive home and when I should have a cab take me home. At no point do I drive down surface streets or try to avoid the cops, because I believe they would have no reason to pull me over. I may blow a .09 but they would never know because I know that I am handling the responsibility of driving in a safe courteous way.

I live in a city where you have to drive everywhere. I have never driven drunk or buzzed. It is a real pain in the ass, but there's no choice.
Really? You walk or stay home for 4-8 hours every time you smoke weed?

Sal isn't saying that it's morally acceptable to drive drunk. All he's saying is that it's obnoxious when people are pompous asses about how easy it is to avoid drinking and driving, because sometimes that just isn't the case.

I think we can all agree that driving drunk is irresponsible and selfish.However, I think there is a grey area surrounding a few drinks and then driving. For those of you shouting the shagrins of driving after having ANYTHING to drink, then I ask you. Have you ever eaten while driving, turned the radio switch while driving, talked on the phone while driving (although this example is getting harder to do in each state as we are realizing it is potentially dangerous), texted while driving, or otherwise engaged in anything that could take your focus from the road.
The existence of other means to impair driving does not make drinking any safer.
I believe that I know when I can drive home and when I should have a cab take me home.
Alcohol also impairs your ability to make this judgement.
Really? You walk or stay home for 4-8 hours every time you smoke weed?
Yes. Although the effects of marijuana on driving are a whole separate discussion. And I'd say you need more like 3-5 hours.edit: having been in a serious car accident really makes you take driving seriously. I kind of think everyone should survive a really scary accident at least once in their life. Otherwise you really don't grasp the dangers of moving that fast in anything but an abstract way.
Sal isn't saying that it's morally acceptable to drive drunk. All he's saying is that it's obnoxious when people are pompous asses about how easy it is to avoid drinking and driving, because sometimes that just isn't the case.
I never said it was easy to avoid drinking and driving, and I don't care to argue about whether it is easy or difficult or exactly how much alcohol someone can drink and still be a responsible driver or anything else. It's pointless to debate all the situations and degrees to which someone can drive drunk. I'm not trying to be a pompous ass. I'm just pretty upset that my friend died last week because a drunk driver hit her, and if he'd been sober or had opted not to drive she would most likely still be alive.
I never said it was easy to avoid drinking and driving, and I don't care to argue about whether it is easy or difficult or exactly how much alcohol someone can drink and still be a responsible driver or anything else. It's pointless to debate all the situations and degrees to which someone can drive drunk. I'm not trying to be a pompous ass.
I wasn't talking about you specifically with the "pompous ass" comment, more the other guy(s) in this thread who I would name if I felt like looking back at who said what.
I'm just pretty upset that my friend died last week because a drunk driver hit her, and if he'd been sober or had opted not to drive she would most likely still be alive.
I'm sure there's an appropriate comment for me to make here...I just don't know what it is. That sucks. What happened to your friend, not my lack of knowing what comment to make (is what sucks). I'll stop talking now.
but you're an ugly moron.
:club:
I knew what you meant the first time you said it.I actually had the same thought before I saw you post it. Only because people kept mentioning cabs and buses and stuff, which applies to me, because we have multiple ways to get around where I am, but if you live in bumfuck west virginia or something, your options because a bit more limited.He wasn't making excuses, he was playing semi devils advocate, saying, it's not always THAT easy. Whereas a lot of people were basically saying, if you can't take a cab you're a moron. That or you live in bum****. In which case, you need friends, or a bar within walking distance.
yep. these posts were all I was saying.
Move to a real city you piece of shit.
and this.
The existence of other means to impair driving does not make drinking any safer. I never said it did, I was just bringing up other situations because people believed that it was a clear cut situation to not have a drink and drive and I was pointing out that there are other things that if done while driving also impairs your drivingAlcohol also impairs your ability to make this judgement. So then tell me. If I walk outside and can walk a clear line to my car, touch a finger to my nose with my eyse closed while standing on one foot is that just the alchohol impairing me? I believe that there is a line and when I cross that line I choose not to drive. I can however drive safely after a few drinks. That's just a fact. Or are they just choosing an arbitrary number such as .08 to say that you are officially DUI. Yes. Although the effects of marijuana on driving are a whole separate discussion. And I'd say you need more like 3-5 hours.edit: having been in a serious car accident really makes you take driving seriously. I kind of think everyone should survive a really scary accident at least once in their life. Otherwise you really don't grasp the dangers of moving that fast in anything but an abstract way.This also impairs your judgement on the topic.
So then tell me. If I walk outside and can walk a clear line to my car, touch a finger to my nose with my eyse closed while standing on one foot is that just the alchohol impairing me?
It absolutely could be impairing you, but of course no one believes that you A] actually do this or B] would really be in a position to judge how well you passed the test yourself if you were drunk.
I believe that there is a line and when I cross that line I choose not to drive. I can however drive safely after a few drinks. That's just a fact. Or are they just choosing an arbitrary number such as .08 to say that you are officially DUI.
Of course they are choosing an arbitrary number, what alternative is there? Several other countries have lower tolerance levels. I believe the legal BAC for bus drivers is .01%. The more you drink the more impaired you are. What you are saying is that you are comfortable driving with a mild self-determined level of impairment.
You all keep making excuses, like it's wrong to drink and drive unless you live in a remote place or unless you're a careful driver, etc etc etc. I find it pretty offensive. To even say you've had friends die from it and yet you still do it regularly, that takes the cake. There are dozens of options other than drunk driving - designated drivers, taxis, public transport, crashing at a sober friends place and so on - if one of those doesn't work for you, pick another. There is no excuse for drunk driving, it's that simple. No one said it makes you a "horrible piece of shit that needs to die" - that's your own exaggeration. What it does make you is a selfish, irresponsible person. I won't apologise if you "strongly dislike" that attitude.
I must've missed the part where Sal says he does it regularly..
I never said it was easy to avoid drinking and driving, and I don't care to argue about whether it is easy or difficult or exactly how much alcohol someone can drink and still be a responsible driver or anything else. It's pointless to debate all the situations and degrees to which someone can drive drunk. I'm not trying to be a pompous ass. I'm just pretty upset that my friend died last week because a drunk driver hit her, and if he'd been sober or had opted not to drive she would most likely still be alive.
I'm not going to try and minimalize what happened to your friend because it's horrific, awful, avoidable and terribly sad--and I mean that honestly. But as someone who's worked in bars for a lot of years, there's a pretty wide difference between .08 and what would constitute most people becoming a danger or being an increased risk on the roadways. I don't really know how that pertains to the above discussion, but I didn't want you to think I was just being a dick. Sidenote: IMO, the optimal way to go would be to raise the BAC limit to .10 or .12(which some states had up until the Federal government intervened) and then increase the penalties severely. Punish people who are actually a danger to the community and themselves.. not those who had 3 beers on their way home from work.
Of course they are choosing an arbitrary number, what alternative is there? Several other countries have lower tolerance levels. I believe the legal BAC for bus drivers is .01%. The more you drink the more impaired you are. What you are saying is that you are comfortable driving with a mild self-determined level of impairment.
Also, BAC does not equal how impaired you are.For instance, when my wife was 18 she could drink a corona and be drunk, two and she was fall down drunk. Now her BAC would have been somewhere between .03 and .06. Legally she would not have been drunk, but if pulled over still gotten a DWI.Alternatively, if Beans drink 3 beers, he will be right around .08, but I guarantee he could functional completely normally. He also would get the DUI, but for the number not the impairment.
It absolutely could be impairing you, but of course no one believes that you A] actually do this or B] would really be in a position to judge how well you passed the test yourself if you were drunk. You are correct, I don't do this. I was using it as an example because that is what police do when they pull you over. I've never had to do this dance, but a few people I know have done it ... one of which ended up with a DUIOf course they are choosing an arbitrary number, what alternative is there? Several other countries have lower tolerance levels. I believe the legal BAC for bus drivers is .01%. The more you drink the more impaired you are. What you are saying is that you are comfortable driving with a mild self-determined level of impairment.Yes
You are correct, I don't do this. I was using it as an example because that is what police do when they pull you over. I've never had to do this dance, but a few people I know have done it ... one of which ended up with a DUIYes
Do you really not understand the fact that there is a level of impairment that will certainly affect your driving but not cause you to be "drunk" to the point that you'd realize that you shouldn't get behind the wheel? I'll bet almost anything that you've had many nights when after you got home you realized that you probably shouldn't have driven.I'm not saying you drive drunk all the time, just that your logic here is sketchy at best.
i'm sure that all the people that are ripping the OP have never driven drunk or buzzed or high on cough syrup in their lives.
nope
Yes. Although the effects of marijuana on driving are a whole separate discussion. And I'd say you need more like 3-5 hours.
Are they? I hate driving stoned way more than after some drinking. I freak out and start counting all the dotted yellow lines and generally always felt like I was having a panic attack. I don't think people realize the complete lack of interest the majority of people (mostly <30 years old) put into driving on a regular basis. Ipods, changing cd's, makeup/hair shit, cell phones and others all take away from paying attention to the road. When I'm driving home from the bar, I do my best to minimize all distractions and focus entirely on the road. My reaction times might be slowed a bit, but I don't speed and don't run yellow lights and take the extra second at stop-signs and all that safe-driving jazz that I never do on a regular basis. I'm certainly not a better driver, but I put a lot more effort and attention into driving.
Do you really not understand the fact that there is a level of impairment that will certainly affect your driving but not cause you to be "drunk" to the point that you'd realize that you shouldn't get behind the wheel? I'll bet almost anything that you've had many nights when after you got home you realized that you probably shouldn't have driven.I'm not saying you drive drunk all the time, just that your logic here is sketchy at best.
My logic was really trying to figure out where the line for driving after a few beers is. As has been said it is probably different for everyone and I am not trying to marginalize anything here, I was just trying to gauge the responses from everyone and I find it laughable that someone said, even if you've had one beer you shouldn't get behind the wheel. Interesting side note to your comment though, I was drinking and a friend of mine and I decided to drive home. He had only one beer the whole time and I had a few. When we were leaving I felt that I could easily drive. Well, I got in and drove one block and pulled over and decided to let him drive home. Yes I was impaired for one block and yes there could have been a child playing in the street and all that, but there wasn't and I feel I made a responsible decision. And that is my point. I feel that I can always make the responsible choice. Had my friend not been there, I would have pulled over and called someone or a cab.
Interesting side note to your comment though, I was drinking and a friend of mine and I decided to drive home. He had only one beer the whole time and I had a few. When we were leaving I felt that I could easily drive. Well, I got in and drove one block and pulled over and decided to let him drive home. Yes I was impaired for one block and yes there could have been a child playing in the street and all that, but there wasn't and I feel I made a responsible decision. And that is my point. I feel that I can always make the responsible choice. Had my friend not been there, I would have pulled over and called someone or a cab.
You're certainly the exception to the rule.
Interesting side note to your comment though, I was drinking and a friend of mine and I decided to drive home. He had only one beer the whole time and I had a few. When we were leaving I felt that I could easily drive. Well, I got in and drove one block and pulled over and decided to let him drive home. Yes I was impaired for one block and yes there could have been a child playing in the street and all that, but there wasn't and I feel I made a responsible decision. And that is my point. I feel that I can always make the responsible choice. Had my friend not been there, I would have pulled over and called someone or a cab.
I have done this before. Twice I think.