update on ppfreeze, filing lawsuit

His girlfriend couldn't cash out of PP for some reason that was outlined in an older thread (too lazy to link, sorry), so she sent him all her cash and he cashed it out through his account. PP didn't like it, apparently, and locked him out. the cash out was relatively large, like $2k, I think.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: horrible pp story, 2k of my bankroll gone Wed, Apr 27th, 2005 5:26 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- rwood wrote: so i play a lot at party poker, as well as empire, fulltilt and ultimate bet. well my girlfriend has her own account on partypoker also, but she hasnt hooked it up to a bankaccount to withdraw her money to her account. about a week ago she sent her account balance to my account which i cashed out for her. sounds simple right, well no. when she transferred it to my account i withdrew it right away and did not play for it. well because i did this, party poker has closed my account and i will not be able to retrieve my funds from it. i have spent hours on the phone with party poker and they will not unfreeze my account. i had about 2k (1895) of my bankroll in that party poker account, so a word of advice to everyone, be very careful with their accounts and transfering to people. if there is any way anyone knows to get my account reopened please inform me, as i am rather annoyed, not enraged yet.... dealing wtih those f-ing idiots from india is realy getting on my nerves..... anyways, thanks for your help in advance.

Notwithstanding the fact that I am a "newbie".........I too am a lawyer. I agree that any overtures by your uncle towards the Sexton camp will be summarily laughed at. I am curious (since I don't play online)..how does PP know your age? If they don't, there must be something else going on here for them to have frozen your account. The other lawyers are correct in that due to the diversity of citizenship, you likely are dealing with a Federal Court situation. I don't think you have much of a shot given your age at the time the account was frozen of getting anywhere. Out of curiousity, does PP have any sort of system where you can take this issue to the higher ups at PP? Some sort of formal way of dealing with user complaints and issues? Maybe you can get somewhere that way?If you can tell us what else is going on besides your age, perhaps somebody can give some better advice. Until then, good luck.......it stinks that you are getting rooked by PP (sort of helps confirm all the bad news I hear about PP).

I also had a problem with Party in the past and tried to email Mike Sexton, but he didn't bother to reply. I said that the reason I chose Party is that he put his reputation behind it and I felt he is an honorable man. Guess not.I suspect that Mike will handle this situation the same way: totally ignore it and hope it goes away. The suit will probably die before getting to court and the OP will have to continue dealing with the horrible PP support and get nothing.I really hope that Mike does lose his good name for associating with them.

I hate party poker, they froze my account too, and kept my 400 dollars, saying I owed them 1000, wtf?! Something about firepay being gay (I also hate firepay with a passion). No they never unfroze my account, even after arguing with the stupid indians over the phone. "You send 1000 dollars, we open account" HMM let me give you 1000 dollars so I can get my 400 back, ****in ****ers.Sue them for me too

I don't see how this lawsuit will work. you have no legal basis to win. how did you get caught to begin with? this is when you could have prevented this from happening.I met one kid online who bragged about his age and I told him to watch it.suing is a frivolous lawsuit and a waste of time.

Yes, gambling in the USA requires being 21 years of age, so the higher statute of the law applies to US citizens even if costa rica law would permit 18 year olds.I think rwood could help us all out by pasting any reason(s) pp is accusing him of.
I disagree. If he went to Costs Rica and gambled he would be perfectly legal. This is basically what he did when he opened his client which "went" to Costa Rica to play.The only thing I see wrong they can nail him with is the bit about it not being legal to play where he lives. Guess what, playing online poker for money is currently considered illegal under some obscure federal law. And the Feds may be misapplying the law.But here's the rub: If PartyPoker wants to freeze his account because he lives in the US then they can freeze any American's account. Buyer beware.Reading the orginal thread it sounds like " a failure to communicate" clearly with the support in India who use different English than we do and that he is unsure even why they are freezing his account.
Read my post from page 1. Their rules say if you "connect from a jurisdiction in which it is illegal" - it doesn't matter if the client went there. He connected from a jurisdiction where it is illegal for him to gamble.
I don't see how this lawsuit will work. you have no legal basis to win. how did you get caught to begin with? this is when you could have prevented this from happening.I met one kid online who bragged about his age and I told him to watch it.suing is a frivolous lawsuit and a waste of time.
foremost, i don't think it was the age issue that was the problem. it sounds like there was a cash transfer followed by an immediate cashout. maybe they had some reason to find that suspicious or it violated their TOS. who knows why they're doing it or if it's appropriate?next, as an attorney i agree that in general a lawsuit here won't help very much. he would probably get further by telling them that he is going to share his partypoker.com experience as far and wide as possible in online poker forums (such as this, and others) and that their reputation should be worth more to them than a few thousand dollars they're keeping for [allegedly] inappropriate or questionable reasons.
I've been an attorney for 9 years, having graduated in 1996.  Although I practice almost exclusively criminal defense, I know enough about civil law and procedure and common sense to know that Mike Sexton is going to laugh at your uncle.Assuming arguendo that Sexton is liable, in a cost benefit analysis no sane attorney--even your uncle is going to sue him. In a cost benefit analysis, it is not worth the time and money to sue out such a  small amount of money.  Your uncle would spend $1000s of his own money to sue in NV.  That is why every state has created small claim courts for matters below $10,000--in which attorneys are not even allowed.    Second, at the other poster pointed out, what is your basis or theory to hold Sexton liable for your loss?
It's actually a little worse, possibly. In California small claims court, the defendant (Sexton) can be represented by council, just not the plaintiff.